* * * * * 16 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 6/27: Huge Mid Year Sale & Sonic Sales! Too many deals for CAG to handle!

#2371 TransistorRadio   can't buy me love CAGiversary!   1520 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

TransistorRadio

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

Waited for the first sales on:

Abzu
Song of the deep

Also happy to pickup Virginia for a small discount.

#2372 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3585 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:46 AM

The idea that you can't judge a story without entirely finishing is ridiculous. A story that bores for 80% only to pull out a fantastic ending isn't a great story. And someone who stops at the midpoint in that story still has a valid point because in that situation you spend most of the story not so entertained.
I am not saying that The Last of Us is this(it's in my backlog), just that people who have spent several hours with the game and made some decent progress in the story absolutely have valid opinions.

I have tried to play The Last of Us twice (once on PS3 at launch and once on PS4 a few months ago after the $8 sale) and I have lost interest long before finishing it both times. The story and characters just did not grab me and make me want to see what happens unlike The Walking Dead. The gameplay is really nothing out of the ordinary to me either. I did enjoy it more and got farther the second time but I have a feeling it will remain in my backlog forever unfinished.

As for The Walking Dead, if anybody thinks Lee is evil, they have to have just played the first 15 minutes. I do not get emotional during games or movies very often but

Spoiler
I would have to say was the most emotional moment I've ever experienced via a form of entertainment.

#2373 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4384 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:01 AM

Anyone know if the PS4 Slim Uncharted Bundle, if UC4 is digital or physical?

#2374 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:24 AM

Anyone know if the PS4 Slim Uncharted Bundle, if UC4 is digital or physical?

Physical.

#2375 danhoo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   243 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:56 AM

Anyone here ever gone to a PlayStation eXperience event, PSX?  They're selling tickets but I was wondering if they give freebies there worth the price of admission?  Thanks.

I went to last year's in San Francisco (one day only) and felt I got my money's worth (got a handful of codes for various smaller games plus random swag, got to watch part of the Capcom Cup, and chatted briefly with Tim Schaefer). 

#2376 Raw_Orangejuice  

Raw_Orangejuice

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:13 AM

TLOU on Grounded mode was easily one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming.  Focusing on one bad guy with my pistol trying to make my last shot count as im being flanked by the AI and being put in a chokehold only for Ellie to stab them in the back is seriously one of the most surreal experiences in gaming that I've had

#2377 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4384 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:59 AM

Which doesn't matter in the post apocalypse. He was ultimately a good person that made a bad mistake in a fit of passion and redeemed himself in the end.

Can't you also play him as a villain?
Sorry, I've yet to play the first season.

#2378 WhatTheHalcyon  

WhatTheHalcyon

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:24 AM

I went to last year's in San Francisco (one day only) and felt I got my money's worth (got a handful of codes for various smaller games plus random swag, got to watch part of the Capcom Cup, and chatted briefly with Tim Schaefer).

I met Tim Schaefer and he was one of the nicest people I have ever met. So down to earth despite the fact I was embarrassingly happy to meet him. Got to try Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin and after meeting him it was even cooler.

#2379 kozi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

TLOU on Grounded mode was easily one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming.  Focusing on one bad guy with my pistol trying to make my last shot count as im being flanked by the AI and being put in a chokehold only for Ellie to stab them in the back is seriously one of the most surreal experiences in gaming that I've had

just making ellie stab people was satisfying.

#2380 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

As a person who has very short attention span, I find myself rarely like games that are heavily reliant on story telling. This is why I find myself playing a lot of FPS games. For example games that are heavily recommended for their stories like the Persona games, and the Trails of Cold Steel games I couldn't get into. Because it was slow and I needed to invest too much time for character build up. However with The Last of Us, it was very different experience for me. On several occasion I had friends who don't like playing video games watch me play the prologue with what happens in the house, the car ride, and all the crazy stuff that happens in town and they loved it. I would then follow up by saying they are planning on making a movie of this game, and they would say they would love to go see it. What I think The Last of Us did extremely well, that in my opinion no other game has ever done is the combination of story telling, voice acting, and the movements/facial expressions of the actors during the cut/emotional scenes. To me it is the most immersive game I have ever played due to its ability to blur the lines between game and movie. Maybe there are other games that I haven't been exposed to that are as immersive if not more, but I have not seen it, and I am gamer who has owned many consoles/PC's since the beginning (Atari).

I understand that not everyone is going to universally agree that one game is the best of them all. It is like the movies, it is art, and it is dependent on the eyes of the beholder. As an example, I know many people who hate the Godfather movies or they found it too boring so they stopped watching it. But many critics think that the Godfather/Godfather II are the greatest films ever made. Anyhow, I just wanted to throw my two cents in about the Last of Us since others are talking about it.

#2381 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68879 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Can't you also play him as a villain?
Sorry, I've yet to play the first season.

No, you might be able to make him a bit of a jerk, but nothing close to being evil.

#2382 Outrun9   Let's Go! CAGiversary!   635 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

October ps+

http://blog.us.plays...r-october-2016/

Ps4

Resident Evil
Transformers: Devastation

Ps3

Mad Riders
From Dust

Ps Vita

Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth
Actual Sunlight

#2383 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6440 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

Pretty good PS+ games next month.

#2384 Vigilante   Hold On to That Hatred CAGiversary!   37100 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

Pretty good PS+ games next month.

Yeah, not bad, though it's a disappointing lineup for me because I already platted/100%d RE HD, Code:Realize, and Actual Sunlight and don't care much for the other games.

#2385 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Nearing puberty. CAGiversary!   1549 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

October ps+

Ps4

Resident Evil

Ps3

Mad Riders
From Dust

Ps Vita

Actual Sunlight

I'll definitely be playing RE and Transformers.

#2386 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4666 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

Telltale's The Walking Dead?

I find it highly unlikely that a game released in 2012 affected the major plot points in ND's game that was announced before it was even released, and released shortly after in 2013.

#2387 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9319 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

Have Transformers on X1 (and if you don't like Transformers but liked Bayonetta, you'll still enjoy it). But pretty impressive month after some lackluster ones of late.

#2388 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4666 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

Playing through all the way shouldn't be needed to not like a game or story...

Playing through the entirety of something may not be warranted to decide is something is pure trash -- I don't need to read much of some trashy romantic novel to know it's not for me, for example  -- but if you're going to weigh in on something a great number of people consider a classic or masterpiece, then you damn well should sit your ass down and finish it if you want to be taken seriously.

You don't watch the first 15 minutes of Citizen Kane, or read the first 20 pages of Crime & Punishment, and then go post about the quality of its narrative.    Sure, you can post it didn't grab you, and of course, that might be true for any number of reasons [different tastes, bad mood, illiteracy].   

So while I agree with you that you don't always need to finish something to know it's not for you, I think with any beloved piece that's -all- you know after you quit - that it isn't for you - and any qualitative statements on its content should remain in your head, and not spouted out on a keyboard.

Though this is sounding more and more like my roommate who bases his opinions on what Youtube Critics and Reviewers say.. He'll like something one minute, then begin to say it sucks after watching a review, even going as far as spitting out what the reviewer said verbatim.

Many people are like this.  If 5 people come out of a film, the first to definitively state whether they loved or hated it will often dictate the conversation, unless there happens to be a very strong willed person in the group.   Most just go with the flow.   Hence the sordid state of the world, lol.

#2389 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

I have so much salt for Capcom doing a Humble less than a month ago and then putting one of the two PS4 games immediately in to PS+. Not like they didn't know how they would line up when negotiating it.

Otherwise it's a fairly decent if uninspiring mix.

#2390 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6349 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

I find it highly unlikely that a game released in 2012 affected the major plot points in ND's game that was announced before it was even released, and released shortly after in 2013.

I don't believe that's what I said.

#2391 .Beowulf  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

good month even though I own RE

I wish it was re0 been waiting to get that one

#2392 legendarydogs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1251 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

legendarydogs

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

When they said halloween themed, I immediately thought it was going to be evil within. I read that japan got it already so it would have fit. RE sounds alright, but I never liked the tank controls. I would have preferred getting 5 or maybe even 6. Transformers looks pretty good as well.

#2393 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4082 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Transformers is pretty legit fun, a good combat system that's just enough complexity while still allowing arcadey fun

#2394 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

When they said halloween themed, I immediately thought it was going to be evil within. I read that japan got it already so it would have fit. RE sounds alright, but I never liked the tank controls. I would have preferred getting 5 or maybe even 6. Transformers looks pretty good as well.

Would have been nice if it was Evil Within since I just can't bring myself to buy it for whatever reason.  Or that one that came out last year that I can't remember the name of now... Until Dawn? That's surely asking too much though.

#2395 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40091 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

October ps+

Ps4

Resident Evil

Ps3

Mad Riders
From Dust

Ps Vita

Actual Sunlight

Nice. Was hoping for a spooky game like Code: Realize to play on Halloween.

#2396 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3080 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

Is Darkest Dungeon cross buy?

Doubt it but it was worth asking lol

EDIT: Just found out it is.  Makes the deal even sweeter.

#2397 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7700 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

Why do we keep getting visual novels for the Vita... I can't stand those. It is like books for people without creativity. Or a weird anime fetish.

#2398 TheGreenArr0w   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   921 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

TheGreenArr0w

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

Darkest dungeon is really cool. Played for 20 minutes and my whole party died. Love it.

#2399 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3585 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Should have checked the thread before I went to Best Buy to pick up Forza Horizon 3 a little while ago. Could have traded in my physical copy of Transformers Devastation while I was there...

#2400 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2782 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Tank controls can be turned off in the new version.

It also makes the game hilariously easy.