- - - - -

Official NHL 17 Discussion/CAG Team Thread - Ausfahrt Banditos: The Res-Erection

NHL 17 CAG Hockey EASHL EA Spertz Stockholm Syndrome

#31 Navex   The Media Jerk CAGiversary!   1185 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

Buying this mostly for the ECHL. I grew up watching hockey from the local team here and to this day thanks to them I'm more interested in the minors than NHL. I do have an NHL team I somewhat follow but the NHL is a damn shadow of what it used to be as far as regulations go. The league has changed dramatically over the generations of course but I followed it in the 90s and even with that small of a gap it's amazing how much has been altered. Most of it, not for the better either.

#32 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Just got another 10 hours lol. I Uninstalled and reinstalled the game as per a reddit thread and it actually worked.

#33 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

I know yall hate bought teams but, I buy coins every year now. Going rate is now $5 for 100k for 17. I made a good amount off the 1 Mill I got from one pack from that Crosby pull. I have 600k left in 16 and I might rebuild my team for cheap honestly. If you have the money, I don't see the problem.

I guess for me it just becomes a question of what are you playing HUT for? If you're playing it to be competitive and play online (which I know you don't...but many do), buying your team kind of gives you an unfair shortcut.

If you're playing just to build a fun team to play with casually, I guess buying packs isn't a huge deal...you just get to the endgame quicker.

If you're playing to just collect cards and open packs, well then buying them probably would give you the most enjoyment since you'd get them quicker and have more that way. The biggest danger here is the mobile game trap that South Park made fun of. It probably becomes really easy to lose track of how much money you've spent and you wind up giving EA $1000+ to play NHL 17...which just tells EA to "keep up the great work".

That said, if you're buying your coins through gray markets (which $5 for 100k sounds like), you're not giving EA the full benefit. I don't know how people don't get caught doing that though.

#34 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

Ah, ok. Yeah, mine shows as sent too and I was thinking "How did I miss it?" Guess I'll have to get them to resend it too.

It's so weird that yours hasn't shipped yet. It's not like I'm even an Elite or Elite Platinum or whatever the hell they call it member at Best Buy. I have Gamer's Club Unlocked...but that's it.

My Best Buy video game preorders usually don't ship until the day before release.

#35 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

Because EA just does not give a shit about the Grey market apparently for some odd reason. Tons of people sell and buy coins and they just don't care.

#36 mvp828   It's not CAGers Dammit CAGs CAGiversary!   2574 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

I personally hate bought teams for a few reasons.

1) To me part of the fun is working your way up to a star team. Buying it removes a great deal of fun for me.

2) If the game is only mediocre at best... Why would I give EA more money.

On the contrary, this year I feel like the gameplay benefits the smart player than the guy who buys his team much more.

It is also rewarding to smoke a bought team, get the hate mail, and troll them.

Part of the reason I named my team BuiltNotBought this year. Haha

Lastly, the coin buying made me curious. Where are you getting $5/100k all the sites that came up in my search were $20+ for that many.

#37 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

Reddit

#38 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

Reddit

Yeah, I definitely can't find them for that cheap. That cdbdjl guy (one of the big sellers) had them at $37.50 for 100k yesterday.

https://www.reddit.c...d_september_11/

And that turned into a discussion of prices being the highest when the game is new (duh) and slowly dropping before finally hitting their low point after the season is over (again, duh).

I tried searching pretty good, and these are the only other discussions I could find that address coin prices throughout the course of the year.

https://www.reddit.c...7_buying_coins/

https://www.reddit.c...g_nhl_17_coins/

https://www.reddit.c...t_coins_not_on/

What I did see though is that apparently Amazon is selling that new currency (points or whatever) at a discount:

https://www.amazon.c...l/dp/B01L9R7GR2

#39 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, CDB always sells high. I know few sellers that posts got taken down because they were so low like 5 for 100k, 10 for 100k. The CDB guy is really good friends with the mods of that sub, so it's a shit show when people lower prices.

#40 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, CDB always sells high. I know few sellers that posts got taken down because they were so low like 5 for 100k, 10 for 100k. The CDB guy is really good friends with the mods of that sub, so it's a shit show when people lower prices.

Ah, I see. You get them dick sucking prices. ;)

#41 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Yeah I was thinking about grabbing that card from Amazon.

#42 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, that's actually a solid deal. It's regularly $19.99. With EA Access, it's $17.99 in game. No idea why Amazon is selling it for that cheap.

#43 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

Thats really weird how it's that specific quantity thats such a good deal. For example, 13.99 for 2200, times three, is 41.97 for 6600 points. They sell 5850 for 49.99. I wonder if it's a pricing error? THe Points per dollar on that specific one is  waaaaaay better than all the other options.

#44 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:33 PM

Thats really weird how it's that specific quantity thats such a good deal. For example, 13.99 for 2200, times three, is 41.97 for 6600 points. They sell 5850 for 49.99. I wonder if it's a pricing error? THe Points per dollar on that specific one is waaaaaay better than all the other options.

Yeah, I bought one just for the hell of it. The Gold Jumbo packs are 300 points. So, that gives you 7 Gold Jumbo packs (140 cards, 14 rares) for $14. I opened one pack, but I'm really considering just saving everything else for November.

I did snag a Kris Letang from the Draft Champions reward though. I tried again and got crap the second time, sadly.

#45 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:10 PM

So, I bought a card as well for that price and bought all Gold Jumbos. Spent another $20 on coins and Now in sitting at 200k. All in all, I have 30 unopened packs and I also got the Super Deluxe Edition when they messed up the price on it, so that should guarantee even more packs as well. I think I'll open maybe 10 packs and save the rest. I do have Kucherov and a Forsberg I might throw on the market to see what they go for.

#46 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

Is it not possible to see the last sold price of a player anymore? I know that didn't always work last year, but it's tough just looking at the market for a player, seeing no bids, and wondering if every single auction is overpriced. The lowest "buy now" on Letang right now is 75,000 and the lowest starting price is 65,000.

I figure I'll unload him and start working on collections (I might do sets after collections since you have to forfeit the players when you do a set). I'm not really sure what the cheapest ones will be, but it probably won't be a whole lot different from last year (though maybe not Florida). I'd imagine Carolina is a good starting point.

#47 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Just played my first HUT online seasons game...matched up against, Chicago, of course. He had a few decent players on his team Pacioretty, Gaborik, Kronwall, Marleau...against basically my starter team (nobody above an 85...and the wizard, Eddie Lack in net).

Guy took a 1-0 lead on a basic slapper. I came back and scored 2 quick ones. He tied it up on a short handed rush where I was backchecking and cutting off his angle so he couldn't deke across the goalie. Of course, Lack jumps off the post for no reason and lets him put it in shortside on his backhand.  :wall:

After that, I proceeded to beat the Fuck out of him and after I went up 7-2 in the 3rd, he put his controller down. He was outshooting me 33-21 at that point, but I had more time on attack. Dude was just throwing everything at the net and trucking my goalie to knock the puck loose. I put one more on him for good measure for the 8-2 win, haha.

I don't know if goalie ability is dictated by the division you're in, but it felt like beginner difficulty with the way they were giving up openings. He had Matt Jones as his goalie, and Jones was biting on everything. I even hit the post 5 times and had another goal waved off for goalie interference when his defenseman pushed me into the goalie.

#48 mvp828   It's not CAGers Dammit CAGs CAGiversary!   2574 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

Is it not possible to see the last sold price of a player anymore? I know that didn't always work last year, but it's tough just looking at the market for a player, seeing no bids, and wondering if every single auction is overpriced. The lowest "buy now" on Letang right now is 75,000 and the lowest starting price is 65,000.

I figure I'll unload him and start working on collections (I might do sets after collections since you have to forfeit the players when you do a set). I'm not really sure what the cheapest ones will be, but it probably won't be a whole lot different from last year (though maybe not Florida). I'd imagine Carolina is a good starting point.

The only way I know of is when looking at the auction house. Select offer trade and it will say the last sold price.

Is there any rewards for completing collections?

#49 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:20 PM

The only way I know of is when looking at the auction house. Select offer trade and it will say the last sold price.

Is there any rewards for completing collections?

Oh, ok. That seems like a backward way of doing it. Go figure. Either way, I sold my Letang for 75K, so not bad for a Draft Champions reward pull.

Actually, I was just looking for collection rewards and there might not be (the game makes no mention of it anyway). I just kind of assumed there would still be pack rewards because if there's not...the only way to get packs is by buying them (ugh) and what is the purpose of the "My Collection" section?

Ironically enough, I did notice the game finally allows you to have more than one of the same card in your collection. I have two Belarus logos and instead of keeping one in my inbox like in previous years, they both show in my collection and it has a little card logo with a 2 in the corner.

#50 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:05 PM

Ok, I can confirm there are no rewards at all for collections. Since I only needed the home jersey for Belarus, I just decided to grab it to see what would happen. Nothing at all. It just goes in your collection. No reward. No achievement. Nothing. Now, there are sets for things like "10 gold logos", "10 silver jerseys", etc. So, I guess that's really the only usefulness of all these non-NHL cards.

But this seems very limiting in terms of rewards. And it definitely feels more complicated like Madden where you have to complete sets to get collectibles...then put those collectibles in a set to upgrade them and get another special card. I hope it doesn't become super tedious like Madden because that's where they lost me.

Also, I don't think there's any added bonus in playing Draft Champions online as opposed to playing it solo. You get a reward card for every game you win. Sooo...logic would dictate that you'd be better off just playing and murdering the CPU rather than taking a chance and losing a game online.

#51 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

There are sets and there are collections. You want to finish a set for the reward. Collections do the mean jack shit.

Plus side, I pulled a Jeremy Roenick Legend and a Towes out of three packs. Back up to 500k now.

#52 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

There are sets and there are collections. You want to finish a set for the reward. Collections do the mean jack shit.

Plus side, I pulled a Jeremy Roenick Legend and a Towes out of three packs. Back up to 500k now.

The biggest problem I see is feeling like there's no real direction this year. With the way collections worked before, one would roll into the next, and it was a pretty smooth transition. But the micromanaging aspect of selling cards to buy packs to get cards to sell to buy more packs gets old pretty fast for me.

And with the sets, I'm not totally sure if the reward is good enough to justify the work and what you give up to obtain them. And I'm not sure if I'd want to keep the hero card...or just sell it...which would put me back to square one.

It's really weird feeling that way because I wanted the collections to reward you with legend players from that team...but when I think that I could just flip cards and buy those players outright, it makes completing the set less appealing. I'd almost rather they make the hero cards non-tradeable. At least then, it's a badge of honor that you could only get by completing the set...not by buying coins on Reddit (no offense...it just bothers me that you can get those cards that way).

#53 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

Shots fired

#54 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:12 PM

So apparently I Just now got my Returning HUT player reward, 10 packs

#55 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:36 PM

Wow, finally saw a cross checking penalty. That's new.

#56 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:01 AM

Oh, man. That Domingo video is great. It's pretty insane how Tim Tebow just won't go away though. I just don't get what's in it for the Mets. They don't need his "publicity".

In HUT news, I think I've somewhat decided how to approach the sets. It appears that Vancouver will be the easiest to do. With the Sedin brothers and Miller shells of their former selves, their prices are very low (I picked up Miller for 650 coins earlier). And neither Sedin is over 10K.

What EA has done though is inflate the damn cost of completing a set with those stupid collectibles. Most teams require 3 carbon collectibles...which have been selling on the AH for around 50k each. And some also require gold collectibles, which go for 4-5k. Vancouver only requires 2 carbon collectibles. So...it's still going to cost about 130k to complete the set...but you'll get the Hero Trevor Linden card, which seems to sell for about 200K.

I'm still not sold on this as a worthwhile thing to spend time on, but I'm going to at least try it out with Vancouver and see if it has any merit at all. I don't know. Maybe I just played too much HUT last year...and having all the players I did, I can't figure out what I'm working toward, who I'm trying to get...or even why I want it, lol.

#57 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, it kinda sucks that we "figured" out how to milk it last year, and now its revamped lol

#58 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5206 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:21 AM

And that's cool also. I was losing by one with 20 seconds left. Pulled the goalie and scored with Lindros and the whole stadium and camera and boards were shaken. That was pretty cool.

#59 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:56 AM

Gold collectibles aren't too difficult to get. You can dump extra coaches or logos or uniforms for a Gold Collectible pack.

Had some decent pulls today in my returning user packs. Snagged Steve Mason, Frederick Anderson, Voracek and Kuznetzov as well as a bunch of 86 overall players.

#60 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16931 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:01 AM

Gold collectibles aren't too difficult to get. You can dump extra coaches or logos or uniforms for a Gold Collectible pack.

Had some decent pulls today in my returning user packs. Snagged Steve Mason, Frederick Anderson, Voracek and Kuznetzov as well as a bunch of 86 overall players.

Should have saved the packs. When I get absolutely jack shit two months from now all of the Movember cards, you guys will be sorry, MWAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

Anybody want to play tonight?