* * * * - 14 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#6211 bustastuff   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   10 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

bustastuff

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

Tetris Effect Weekend Trial is up: https://store.playst...ETRISEFFECT0000

#6212 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1620 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

Tetris Effect Weekend Trial is up: https://store.playst...ETRISEFFECT0000

Came to post this too. Sadly I have to go to work and have stuff to do afterwards so I won’t be able to try it till tomorrow

#6213 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:01 AM

I was feeling kinda depressed and not sure what to do with myself, so I fired up the Tetris Effect demo. I've got to say, I wasn't planning on buying this day 1 and...well, I'm still not planning on it, but it was cool to try. I hope there are more modes in the full version because it essentially felt like Tetris projected ahead of me with fancy visualizations and catchy music. It put me in a relaxed headspace, but I seem to remember the trailer showing off more and generally being more impressive. I think my main problem is that I'm so focused on the puzzle at hand that I don't even notice everything going on around me in the VRscape. Hope I'm wrong about it.

#6214 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:30 AM

I finally got to play Dream Angling after months of wanting it.  I picked it up during the anniversary sale this year.  It's pretty much what I expected.  A charming fishing game with pretty visuals.  The graphics are amazing.  The controls are very easy to pick up quickly.  The game looks incredibly real, both in the menu and during gameplay.  I really love the environment in which you play.  It makes you feel like a child who imagines that he/she can shrink down and go fishing in his toy playset, which is exactly what I wanted it to be.  Did I mention how stunning the visuals are?

#6215 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9516 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:17 AM

Target's BF add shows PSVR + Creed + Super Hot + 2 Move Controllers + Camera for $250.

That is a STEAL of a deal, even without the games I would be all over that if I didn't have a PSVR already.

How much would all that be usually?

#6216 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1620 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:49 AM

$350

#6217 Ocelotri   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:51 AM

Well same bundle can be had for 350 atm. I bought mine around may this year for 200, only got Doom VFR + Camera, and i thought that was a good deal. Pair of moves are 100 at bestbuy, and if the games are discs, super hot did not get a physical release in NA i think.I bought an import for around 23 on amazon.

#6218 coolz481   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1632 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

Target's BF add shows PSVR + Creed + Super Hot + 2 Move Controllers + Camera for $250.

That is a STEAL of a deal, even without the games I would be all over that if I didn't have a PSVR already.

That's my price, so I'm all in.  Hopefully that's a Sony-initiated deal available at several retailers so I don't have to necessarily fight the hordes at Target!

#6219 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

I was feeling kinda depressed and not sure what to do with myself, so I fired up the Tetris Effect demo. I've got to say, I wasn't planning on buying this day 1 and...well, I'm still not planning on it, but it was cool to try. I hope there are more modes in the full version because it essentially felt like Tetris projected ahead of me with fancy visualizations and catchy music. It put me in a relaxed headspace, but I seem to remember the trailer showing off more and generally being more impressive. I think my main problem is that I'm so focused on the puzzle at hand that I don't even notice everything going on around me in the VRscape. Hope I'm wrong about it.

I've been playing more Tetris Effect and the addictive quality is starting to get to me. Plus, I discovered "Mystery Mode" tucked all the way at the bottom of the greyed out Effect Mode menu. It basically changes up the game by throwing random hacks at you like upside down mode, fractured blocks, oversized blocks and -- what I was hoping for all along -- close-up mode where the blocks are front and center and coming down at you at an angle. I wish there was a way to play the entire game in close-up mode in VR.

Also, I keep replaying the first level just so I can hear that song from the trailer over and over. The way the music responds to your input reminds me a lot of Thumper, especially when the controller starts thumping along with you. The game is starting to grow on me, but since every level is essentially the same thing with different graphics, I can't see myself paying full price for it. Thanks to the demo satisfying my curiosity, I can wait it out until it falls to a more respectable price point.

#6220 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1129 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

Just tried out Tetris Effect on PSVR. It’s neat, but I mean, it’s Tetris.  For some reason I expected it to be a bit different.  It's trippy which is kinda cool, but no chance I'd buy it.

#6221 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3655 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:28 AM

Just tried out Tetris Effect on PSVR. It’s neat, but I mean, it’s Tetris. For some reason I expected it to be a bit different. It's trippy which is kinda cool, but no chance I'd buy it.

There's a bunch of modes and challenges to help but I do think it should probably be about half the current price. It's immersive but area x in Rez was still a lot cooler imo. I'm still getting it and the preorder theme looks great.

#6222 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1620 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:52 AM

I’ve played probably a couple of hours of the Tetris demo. I like it, but as purbeast said, it’s Tetris. I liked it a lot more on early playthroughs when the music was still fresh. Having only a few levels in the demo it’s starting to get repetitive. I still look forward to buying it, but as with all games I’ll be waiting for a deep discount.

#6223 syndragore  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:01 AM

So it appears as if Astro Bot is only hard to find at Best Buy.  Amazon has restocked so they ship right away, and my local Walmart just got a few more copies in.  I'd really like to use my GCU discount on it.....

It's $30 (potentially less with elite/pro) preowned at GameStop if you can find one near you.

#6224 Jurai  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:19 AM

Tetris effect seems fun so far, debating a buy but man, hooking all my psvr crap back up was a hastle, wish I had the v2 so I could just keep the box connected at all times

#6225 john718   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   240 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

Tetris effect seems fun so far, debating a buy but man, hooking all my psvr crap back up was a hastle, wish I had the v2 so I could just keep the box connected at all times

So why don't you get rid of that "psvr hastle"?....keeping something in the closet is not going to hook up itself you know, plus you would get some of that wasted money back.

#6226 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

Oh man, Astro Bot is fucking awesome. It feels like I'm playing a Pixar movie combined with the mechanics of Super Mario. It's positively delightful. Plus I'm encouraged to explore the VRspace for secrets, similar to Moss. Another Top 10 VR game in one week. :rofl:

#6227 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:37 AM

Astro Bot is like the VR equivalent of going to Disneyland. I'm only through the 2nd world now (I like going back and trying to find all the secrets -- the auditory clues are key!) but I feel like I should document my thoughts now because it's so rare that I actually feel joy in my life. Just little touches like the first water level where you go under and then you emerge at the end and your headset is covered with seaweed (that you wear like dreadlocks). And that minecart/rollercoaster stage (which I feel must give Rush of Blood a run for its money) was just sensational and hypnotizing as it threw all these curves at you. And the boss battles are boss. They remind me of the excitement of playing arcade games back in the day. I feel like this is the #1 game to convince people to buy PSVR. It's not just a third person platformer, it also makes use of you and your headset in all these subtle, innovative ways.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on it for now...until I finish the next world. 8-)

#6228 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1129 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:11 AM

Astro Bot is like the VR equivalent of going to Disneyland. I'm only through the 2nd world now (I like going back and trying to find all the secrets -- the auditory clues are key!) but I feel like I should document my thoughts now because it's so rare that I actually feel joy in my life. Just little touches like the first water level where you go under and then you emerge at the end and your headset is covered with seaweed (that you wear like dreadlocks). And that minecart/rollercoaster stage (which I feel must give Rush of Blood a run for its money) was just sensational and hypnotizing as it threw all these curves at you. And the boss battles are boss. They remind me of the excitement of playing arcade games back in the day. I feel like this is the #1 game to convince people to buy PSVR. It's not just a third person platformer, it also makes use of you and your headset in all these subtle, innovative ways.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on it for now...until I finish the next world. 8-)

I will await your post after you get to the "ghost and goblins" level in world 5.  I look forward to it very much.  It's one of the coolest levels I've ever played in any game ever in my life, and I turn 37 at the end of November.

#6229 Jurai  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:02 AM

just played the astro bot demo since I finally hooked psvr back up to try tetris, definitely picking it up when BB restocks

edit: just curious, has anyone asked an employee in store to see if they can order one ship to store out of the warehouse?

#6230 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

Oh my god, guys, this game is so beautiful. Just the colors alone are so vibrant and popping; VR has never looked better. Just finished up the third world and I really enjoyed the beach level where the waves lift and submerge you. Let me also take this time to say that the music is fantastic, it reminds me of Donkey Kong Country. Oh, and did I mention how much I adore BIG boss battles? I love games that give you such a huge scope and make you feel tiny. I'm starting to get a little sad because I realized there's only two worlds left and I know there's no other VR game out there that feels as polished as this experience. It's like the magic and wonder of Moss along with the puzzle-platforming of Along Together (a game I like but looks ugly compared to this). For now, I'm clearing all the bots/chameleons and attempting to finish the gold challenges before I proceed any further. I find a new appreciation for each detail every time I revisit a level. I can't get over how crisp and gorgeous the darker nighttime levels look. There's so much texture in the game, I could live in this space.

In my head, I keep wanting to call it Astro Bot Hunger Force.

#6231 darkdaze73   Serious Fisherman CAGiversary!   532 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

Picked up Operation Warcade yesterday from Gamestop. They recently lowered the price of it and Apex Construct to $19.99 for "new" copies. Unfortunately it was an unsealed copy as usual. Anyone played Apex yet? Wondering if I should have picked it up also.

I also stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up Heavy Fire: Red Shadow. 

#6232 barlush23   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   318 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

Operation Warcade is 19.99 right now on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...LvoL&ref=plSrch

#6233 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1129 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:27 AM

Oh my god, guys, this game is so beautiful. Just the colors alone are so vibrant and popping; VR has never looked better. Just finished up the third world and I really enjoyed the beach level where the waves lift and submerge you. Let me also take this time to say that the music is fantastic, it reminds me of Donkey Kong Country. Oh, and did I mention how much I adore BIG boss battles? I love games that give you such a huge scope and make you feel tiny. I'm starting to get a little sad because I realized there's only two worlds left and I know there's no other VR game out there that feels as polished as this experience. It's like the magic and wonder of Moss along with the puzzle-platforming of Along Together (a game I like but looks ugly compared to this). For now, I'm clearing all the bots/chameleons and attempting to finish the gold challenges before I proceed any further. I find a new appreciation for each detail every time I revisit a level. I can't get over how crisp and gorgeous the darker nighttime levels look. There's so much texture in the game, I could live in this space.

In my head, I keep wanting to call it Astro Bot Hunger Force.

I completely get what you are saying about the DKC reference.  There are few levels that give me that same vibe, like Dire Dire Docks on Mario 64 as well as DKC water level.

I don't know if you've played it, but Abzu also gave me that same feeling and the whole game is an underewater adventure.  The one level with the blue whales gives me chills every time I play it.  I actually played it tonight because there is a commercial right now on TV that reminded me of that level as far as the music goes, and I had to play it to hear it lol.

#6234 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:30 AM

I completely get what you are saying about the DKC reference.  There are few levels that give me that same vibe, like Dire Dire Docks on Mario 64 as well as DKC water level.

I don't know if you've played it, but Abzu also gave me that same feeling and the whole game is an underewater adventure.  The one level with the blue whales gives me chills every time I play it.  I actually played it tonight because there is a commercial right now on TV that reminded me of that level as far as the music goes, and I had to play it to hear it lol.

DKC was one of my favorite games on the SNES, and honestly, no other game has made me feel more like a kid again than Astro Bot. The VR element feels like a natural extension of those games I grew up on. Really makes me wonder how Nintendo is going to change the game once they finally get into the VR industry (no, the Virtual Boy doesn't count).

Yeah, I love Abzû. It's the only underwater game where I can actually feel relaxed because I don't have to worry about creatures eating me. :) I agree, it has some really beautiful scenes and memorable music. Can you imagine how awesome a game like that would be in VR? (That reminds me, I still have Time Machine in my backlog...)

More fawning over Astro Bot:

Spoiler

#6235 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1129 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

DKC was one of my favorite games on the SNES, and honestly, no other game has made me feel more like a kid again than Astro Bot. The VR element feels like a natural extension of those games I grew up on. Really makes me wonder how Nintendo is going to change the game once they finally get into the VR industry (no, the Virtual Boy doesn't count).

Yeah, I love Abzû. It's the only underwater game where I can actually feel relaxed because I don't have to worry about creatures eating me. :) I agree, it has some really beautiful scenes and memorable music. Can you imagine how awesome a game like that would be in VR? (That reminds me, I still have Time Machine in my backlog...)

More fawning over Astro Bot:

Spoiler

You do "keep" your bots on challenge levels if you select "play again" on accident.  I have done it multiple times and I just quit and still get both bots.

I have like 7 or 8 challenge levels left.  The last 5 or 6 and then there are 2 that I have skipped.  I skipped the laser one just because I've gotten very close to the end and was just frustrated, and then the one with the throwing stars I just tried like twice and said I'll come back to it later because it's going to be very tough.

#6236 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3655 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:06 AM

Deracine impressions are as follows:

-top 5 best looking PSVR game easy. Best particles effects in VR by a mile.

-walking sim with puzzles. Clearly designed to be a chill, accessible experience that doesn't frustrate you are get you stuck.

-overall high production value across the board. Looks like the From used regular (not B-team) staff.

-bad controls. Not just snap turning and teleporting but weird objection investigation controls as well. Another case of over designing controls to accommodate motion sickness and ignoring folks who don't get it (anymore).

The worst part about this game is it doesn't seem like it's for anyone. Most hardcore VR fans are sick of walking sims. New folks will likely just buy Firewall, Astrobot, Moss, etc.  and games from more popular genres. Deracine would have been an incredible proof of concept a year ago but now it just reminds me that I should want that kind of quality in my FPS, driving, and other VR games but it's just not there yet.

#6237 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:08 AM

You do "keep" your bots on challenge levels if you select "play again" on accident.  I have done it multiple times and I just quit and still get both bots.

I have like 7 or 8 challenge levels left.  The last 5 or 6 and then there are 2 that I have skipped.  I skipped the laser one just because I've gotten very close to the end and was just frustrated, and then the one with the throwing stars I just tried like twice and said I'll come back to it later because it's going to be very tough.

That's strange. It happened to me twice where I cleared the level, accidentally hit play again, quit and lost all my progress for that stage. I've learned to be careful and not even risk it anymore. 

For me, it was the hook pulling one that gave me the hardest time. The lasers and ninja stars killed me by a fraction of a second, but I found new ways to shortcut through it. There was also the one where you're bouncing around on platforms which really challenged my depth perception. I found that it's not even so much making the time limits (which are generous), it's just getting through the course without dying.

This game never lets up with the surprises:

Spoiler

I'm at the last boss now, just took a breather so I could enjoy everything that's come before.

#6238 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:13 AM

Deracine impressions are as follows:

-top 5 best looking PSVR game easy. Best particles effects in VR by a mile.

-walking sim with puzzles. Clearly designed to be a chill, accessible experience that doesn't frustrate you are get you stuck.

-overall high production value across the board. Looks like the From used regular (not B-team) staff.

-bad controls. Not just snap turning and teleporting but weird objection investigation controls as well. Another case of over designing controls to accommodate motion sickness and ignoring folks who don't get it (anymore).

The worst part about this game is it doesn't seem like it's for anyone. Most hardcore VR fans are sick of walking sims. New folks will likely just buy Firewall, Astrobot, Moss, etc.  and games from more popular genres. Deracine would have been an incredible proof of concept a year ago but now it just reminds me that I should want that kind of quality in my FPS, driving, and other VR games but it's just not there yet.

I was planning on getting it, but I'll probably wait for a sale (hopefully before Christmas). It sounds like it might be for me, I always enjoy walking around in a VR space. Sounds a little bit like Torn, which I'd also put in my top 5 best looking games.

#6239 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

I just got the plat for Astro Bot so I'll shut up about it now.

Man, those last two boss fights looked so good. I wish every VR game had as much ambition and scope to throw everything at you like that. I feel like the game had everything as far as environments go. I'm almost certain it will warrant a sequel and can't wait to see what else the devs think up. Now I wish I could go back and plat The Playroom, but I don't have anyone to play with. :-(

Definitely my GOTY, at least as far as VR goes. I also really enjoyed God of War and Detroit this year, though I still haven't played Spider-Man or Red Dead 2 yet. Not sure where to go from here. It feels like I've played the future and there's no going back.

Remember that scene in Her with the hologram game? It almost feels like a step in that direction, although not as foul-mouthed.

#6240 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:45 AM

Ya, I beat Astro Bot last night myself. Incredible game. 

I don't say this lightly but that may be my favorite 3d platformer ever... the levels, the style, the controls, the way it uses VR, that's hard to top.