* * * * * 2 votes

Destiny 2 *Official* CAG Thread - Farmhands Wanted

#1381 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:05 AM

So the thing I wasn't sure about was the "Ascendent Challenge" and I actually have 2 bounties for it.  I found this week's and tried to go it like 5 times.  It is very frustrating because I can get through the battle part with the sword just fine.  But then you have to hop on black ledges in a black space and there's floating rocks pushing you around.  I've fallen there every time.  It didn't help that I didn't start the challenge till 4am this morning and had to give up at like 5:30 to go to bed.  Maybe I'll have better luck with it tonight.

#1382 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

Almost every Ascendant Challenge can be summarized as "You don't like jumping puzzles? How about if we put jumping puzzles in the dark? No? What if we have the only enemy that blends into the dark attack you while we move the platforms you have to jump on? That's better, right?"

Honestly, I have come to the conclusion that I either really like the gunplay/setting or have succumbed to the sunk cost fallacy. Because I really despise jumping puzzles in shooters, yet put up with this nonsense with Destiny.

#1383 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7643 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

Nothing better than doing those Ascendant challenges making a jump and getting launched off the platform by one of those taken launchers.

#1384 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

I'd be OK with it if the stupid jumping puzzle was at the beginning (and in this challenge there is also a minor jumping puzzle at the beginning but it is pretty easy).  But making it after a long slog of a fight is just cruel when you have to restart the whole thing when you get pushed off.

#1385 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:22 AM

I'd be OK with it if the stupid jumping puzzle was at the beginning (and in this challenge there is also a minor jumping puzzle at the beginning but it is pretty easy).  But making it after a long slog of a fight is just cruel when you have to restart the whole thing when you get pushed off.

For this particular challenge, pick one of the side platforms with the altar/casket in the center and bring at least one ranged weapon. Use the altar as cover and let everything come to you (or kill them at range if they hang back). Once the first round is dead, go grab the sword and run behind an altar. You can hit the Knights with the sword through the altar, just circle around to prevent them from attacking back.

And don't forget you can drop the sword for the last bit, so you can use a gun to clear out the final enemies before even making the first jump.

#1386 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:02 PM

For this particular challenge, pick one of the side platforms with the altar/casket in the center and bring at least one ranged weapon. Use the altar as cover and let everything come to you (or kill them at range if they hang back). Once the first round is dead, go grab the sword and run behind an altar. You can hit the Knights with the sword through the altar, just circle around to prevent them from attacking back.

And don't forget you can drop the sword for the last bit, so you can use a gun to clear out the final enemies before even making the first jump.

I did it last night on my first try.  I never had a problem with the Sword part - I always died on the platforms right at the end.  I didn't even realize that was all there was to it.  I expected to have to go through another portal and have more battles!  Didn't know how close I was to the end.  I just used my RL to take out the snipers at the end but they never gave me that much trouble.  It was just the stupid platforms and floating rocks.

So then I tried to do the other Ascendant Challenge that I had, but apparently the portal only spawns for the one that is active that week?  Then why the F does the bounty last 7 days from whenever you pick it up?  It should expire at reset.  I think I got it right before reset last week.

When I took the relic out of that first challenge and killed regular enemies with it I got the Black Talon exotic sword to drop!  Not sure if that is a condition of getting it or if it was just a totally random drop, but that was cool to see.  Other than the sniper rifle I got with Chnandler from the referral quest this is the first new exotic weapon I've gotten.  I was actually able to use it against a few shotgunners in Crucible last night which was nice.  It shoots projectiles which I'm sure they weren't expecting ;).

#1387 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:57 AM

Utter BS in the game tonight. I loaded into a brand new Iron Banner match by myself against a full 6 and at least 3 were in a fire team by themselves. It eventually put in 2 other players but not before the other team realized what was going on and rushed me and kept spawn killing. After getting killed like 10 times I eventually turned the damn game off. That’s some grade A bullshit there and shame on the other team for exploiting it.

#1388 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:12 AM

Oof. I've never had it that bad, but I've had a couple of times where it thinks it had a successful matchmaking attempt and the other players bail before the activity actually starts. Seems fairly frequent with forges, but I get it often in strikes, too.

I'm guessing the validation scripts are either too slow, or it just takes a little bit to actually populate in replacement players. Meanwhile, if a match is already on tilt, you're stuck dealing with a crappy situation that isn't going to get better.

#1389 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:53 AM

Played a bunch of Iron Banner this week and didn't have those same problems.  And actually sniping/shotgunning was not as bad as it was for me last week either.  I actually did quite well.  I even finished off the entire Ace of Spades quest in one night when I thought it would take me weeks.

I think the key, other than being slightly higher level, was to finally have a bunch of gear that matched my weapon type.  I was using a Hand Cannon (Trust) and luckily all my higher powered gear had hand cannon perks, including an enhanced targeting one.  I think that made a huge difference.  I was popping people left and right when I could barely get anyone with it a week ago.

Also got more into Gambit and am slowly getting the hang of it.  The key thing there was knowing where to be (or not to be) when invaded.  Now I'm not getting across-the-map sniped nearly as much.

Got my Warlock up to 600 (after already doing so for my Titan).  I cashed in all my Essence of Dawning but I think I forgot to cash in all my Iron Banner tokens and I had like 100.  D'oh!

#1390 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7643 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:38 AM

I made 650 last Wednesday and haven’t played since. I had tons of dawning ingredients that I guess just went to waste. Just haven’t had the desire to play at all the BA stuff was ok but got boring very quick. Every of the weapons I unlocked from the forges all had crap rolls and I never even bothered to unlock the 3rd forge since the quest was so long.

#1391 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:06 AM

I made 650 last Wednesday and haven’t played since. I had tons of dawning ingredients that I guess just went to waste. Just haven’t had the desire to play at all the BA stuff was ok but got boring very quick. Every of the weapons I unlocked from the forges all had crap rolls and I never even bothered to unlock the 3rd forge since the quest was so long.

I don't know what the forge weapons are but Chnandler tells me Hammerhead is one of them and I can say that I saw a lot of that in Crucible.  Though, I suppose, to the game's credit, I'm not seeing one particular weapon, or even weapon type, dominating like it used to be (Vex, Suros, Thorn, Mida, Uriel's, etc).  I'm loving Ace of Spades, but it doesn't seem like anyone else uses it.

Considering that the raids are out of the rotation for me now (no one to do them with - plus have even less desire than before to LFG), really all there is for me to do is hit 650.  I still haven't even started up my Hunter.  In fact, I don't think I even took my Hunter through the last expansion or two.   It is giving me the option on the startup screen to power her up using some item.  Oh there's also quite a few exotics I don't have yet since they seem to be much harder to get now.

I did the raid chest with Chnandler for the first time last week and got some armor.  That was cool - hopefully we can keep doing that and I can put together the whole set.

#1392 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:09 AM

Got my Warlock and Titan to about 620 and just started in on my Hunter, who, it appears, I never even did Warmind or Curse of Osiris with.  I had the option to skip those campaigns and level her up to start Forsaken, which was much appreciated.  Wish I could just skip the Forsaken campaign as well, but whatever...

I do appreciate that the crawl to 650 is slow and measured, and yet with a lot of ways to do it.  I think they got the balance right, finally.  And now that I can't raid, I appreciate that the highest power gear is not locked behind that like it used to be in Destiny 1.

I enjoy hopping on for the daily tasks that give powerful rewards while also slowly working me towards the weekly goals (like last night's daily Gambit reward).  I'm also starting to enjoy Gambit more.  I still haven't gotten up the nerve to invade yet, but I make it my specialty to nuke anyone who invades (usually save my super for it).  Plus I just got the Two-Tailed Fox RL for my Gambit rank-up reward (another source of powerful gear that I wasn't even aware of till recently).  In the following match I took out an invader with that, which was very nice.

The only slight imbalance I can really point to is that perhaps there are too many rewards from PvP compared to PvE.  But I appreciate that since the extra incentive gets me to do Gambit/Crucible a bit more than I otherwise would - and I assume that's Bungie's intent here.  But it seems like there's almost always either a daily Gambit or regular Crucible reward, plus all the rewards you get from ranking both up, and then of course the weeklies as well.  Perhaps there should also be a Vanguard rank-up to counter that?  I dunno, but all in all the balance is pretty good regardless.

#1393 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:25 AM

In case you don't follow the catch-all Xbox Deals thread:

#1394 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

I read an article about that.  And then read the comments... I didn't realize a big point of contention with hardcore types is that "casuals" can get high level gear now that isn't locked behind a raid or Trials or something.  Because the way I've played has changed I really appreciate this change (which is for sure different than it was in D1).  I still think you need to be "hardcore" to power up to 650 in a reasonable time.  I've been playing nearly every night since I got Forsaken (what, 3-4 weeks now) and am just now breaking 640 on one character, about 635 on another, and have barely started the campaign on a 3rd.  A true casual, couple times a week for a few hours, player, would take a long time to power up.

As I said above, I really think they got the balance right this time.  High powered gear isn't locked behind certain activities that some people might not be able to do, but, on the other hand, it takes some time and commitment to get yourself up to 650.

#1395 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:39 AM

https://www.polygon....-torment-puzzle

#1396 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9933 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:27 AM

I look at that cipher stuff for more than a few seconds and my eyes glaze over...

#1397 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

I think Horror Story tipped the scales for those who don't like "easy" leveling for casual players. You didn't have to be good at playing, just be willing to grind away in a dark version in some of the worst content in the game. And for your troubles, you got a masterworked gun at highest light level that bootstrapped the rest of your powerful gear.

I was happy to have that bump in light. I play one character, don't raid and infrequently Nightfall (though trying to do it more often), and while my character has been 650 for a little while now, it was definitely because I regularly checked all the weekly/daily boxes almost 95% solo and play the holiday/seasonal events to the fullest.

#1398 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7643 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

I think a few you guys are older with kids that might have an Xbox One in the same house. Is there a way I can have my son share my Live account but he would play under his own Gamertag?

#1399 Renegade Moose   The cake is a lie. CAGiversary!   1060 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Renegade Moose

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

I think a few you guys are older with kids that might have an Xbox One in the same house. Is there a way I can have my son share my Live account but he would play under his own Gamertag?

If you have it set as your home Xbox then your Xbox Live is shared with everybody on that console.

#1400 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9933 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

If you have it set as your home Xbox then your Xbox Live is shared with everybody on that console.

As are all* digital purchases.

* = Most likely to exclude in-game currency purchases.

#1401 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

I think Horror Story tipped the scales for those who don't like "easy" leveling for casual players. You didn't have to be good at playing, just be willing to grind away in a dark version in some of the worst content in the game. And for your troubles, you got a masterworked gun at highest light level that bootstrapped the rest of your powerful gear.

What is Horror Story?

I don't have a problem with people being able to grind (easier) content to get better gear.  It takes some effort, and that in and of itself, makes it no longer "casual".  They may not be pro Gamer types, but they can get the gear with some effort.  I think that is a good balance.  In Destiny 1, good gear was locked behind the ability to do high level stuff which either required high skill or a good fireteam.  I was lucky enough to have moderate skills but a reliable fireteam so raids were never a problem, at least.  And I was able to get all the higher light gear and the best weapons (helmets, Fatebringer, Vex Mythclast, etc - stuff from hard mode raids).

Now that I mostly play solo (with some much appreciated occasional help from Chnandler) I really like the multiple ways to get better gear.  Not only is there more variety (no longer just grinding the same raid encounters over and over), a lot of it can be done solo.

But speaking of help, Chnandler, I got a couple quests I might need some help with.  1) A hard version of a strike for an exotic quest that recently popped up for me. 2) The "Shattered Throne" dungeon which I have no idea how to even access.  But I have a quest to beat it while Ascendent.  I assume I'll need some help with that!

I've been doing this for a while.  What I found out before Christmas, though, is that you can't do it with 3 Xboxes.  I wanted to buy my 19 year-old son his own box for Christmas, but then I'd have to buy him his own games and Gold membership.  Wasn't worth it.  So he still gets to share with little bro ;).  As a compromise, I did buy him his own controller and a pretty nice headset though.

My "main" Xbox is upstairs and my older son plays various games while my younger one uses it pretty much for Fortnite.  I don't have to be logged into it or anything and they can play all my stuff, including all the Games with Gold, etc.

Meanwhile the downstairs box is pretty much just for me to play Destiny.  For them to play on this "secondary" box it is my understanding that I'd have to be logged into it at the same time.

TL;DR: we have 2 Xbox One systems and 3 of us all use my Live account but play under our own Gamertags.

#1402 Pirate331   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:01 AM

What is Horror Story?

Masterworked 600 autorifle that was the top reward for playing the Halloween event, the "haunted forest." It was a timed run through 7 levels of the infinite forest (at night, with spooky sounds/lighting) with a boss round in between each. The cap was 600 back then, not long after Forsaken came out, so it was a handy way to get a boost quickly

But speaking of help, Chnandler, I got a couple quests I might need some help with.  1) A hard version of a strike for an exotic quest that recently popped up for me. 2) The "Shattered Throne" dungeon which I have no idea how to even access.  But I have a quest to beat it while Ascendent.  I assume I'll need some help with that!

Shattered Throne is only accessible every 3 weeks when the curse on the Dreaming City is at its peak - you just missed the peak, so this week is back to week 1. When it's active there are 3 taken portals around the map that you can access it through. It's tough, though not raid tough, and pretty lengthy for a non-raid Destiny activity; definitely recommended to have a fireteam. I might call it raid lair lite.

#1403 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9933 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:20 AM

I will most likely be at your disposal this weekend. :)

#1404 io   ... Super Moderators   24687 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:47 AM

Shattered Throne is only accessible every 3 weeks when the curse on the Dreaming City is at its peak - you just missed the peak, so this week is back to week 1. When it's active there are 3 taken portals around the map that you can access it through. It's tough, though not raid tough, and pretty lengthy for a non-raid Destiny activity; definitely recommended to have a fireteam. I might call it raid lair lite.

Was never able to do the raid lairs - lost my fireteam when those came out.

I was going through portals last week and didn't get to any dungeon.  They just seemed to lead me in a circle (one portal to the next and then back again).  I even tried it Ascendant.  There is so much about Dreaming City I just don't get though.  There's supposed to be cat statues you can give presents to, but I found one and it didn't give me the option.  Then there are supposedly chests you can get to while ascendant.  I ran all over the place ascendant for an hour or so - found nothing.

I will most likely be at your disposal this weekend. :)

Cool, will be on playing IB if nothing else.  I guess we can't do the dungeon, but maybe we can do that strike.

Oh, and last night I finally got my first 650 drop from a Prime Engram: Go Figure pulse rifle.  Go figure, I had *just* powered one of those up to 645 or so from another weapon using enhancement cores.  Too bad, because now I'm out of cores.

Was just reading about the incoming buffs to auto rifles and scout rifles and snipers (Boo! They are way overpowered already).  But if my Misfit gets a boost that will be pretty nice.  I just started using pulse rifles again too.  Like the range on that Go Figure.

#1405 LinkinPrime   :,( CAGiversary!   44046 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

LinkinPrime

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:29 AM

Damn I haven't even heard of this, though now I play super super casual, and mainly stick to Gambit

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Tapatalk