* * - - - 5 votes

PS4 Pro $290 @ Target.com on 12/11 ONLY (NOT CONFIRMED; YMMV)

ps4 pro target ymmv

#61 phoenixlau   backlogged CAGiversary!   508 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

What makes me think that it was a bad move is the countless people, like myself, that say they would be buying a PS4 pro if it had a 4K BD drive. It’s clearly hurting sales.

Sony clearly made the right decision, as November NPD proves.  Even with the launch of XB1-X (with UHD drive) and XB1-S (also with UHD drive) going below $200, PS4 still ended up winning the month in hardware sales even with neither base PS4 nor PS4 Pro featuring a UHD drive.

Why is that?  It all comes down to price.  By not including the UHD drive in the PS4 Pro, they saved on the cost (let's say $25-$50) and this allowed them to be more aggressive in their promos.  Deals like $350 for (PS4 Pro + game) or $300 with Amazon trade-in promo only happen with no UHD drive.  Sure, they sacrifice a few potential customers like you for whom no UHD drive is a dealbreaker.  But they pick up scores of others (like myself) who are more convinced by the lower price.  It's a calculated tradeoff, and it worked (that's why PS4 Pro has consistently comprised ~20% of all new PS4 units sold).

#62 ETERNIA FOREVER   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

ETERNIA FOREVER

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:00 AM

Yep. That's why I purchased an X1S instead of the Pro. If both had a 4K player, I would have paid the extra $200 for the Pro (got the X1S from Walmart for $200). With that said, I would wouldn't mind buying the Pro, but I have a feeling we're going to hear about the PS5 soon. 

Hear about sure, be able to purchase that will be different, guessing it will go on sale november 2019 roughly.

#63 ETERNIA FOREVER   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

ETERNIA FOREVER

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:02 AM

Forgot to check this morning for the deal and thought it had sold out last night lol. Guess Target wasn't feeling the holiday spirit heh. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up; I was looking forward to getting a second Pro. :(

With that bein the case i am sure you then bought one from amazon for 299.99 ?

#64 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4378 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:50 AM

Sony clearly made the right decision, as November NPD proves.  Even with the launch of XB1-X (with UHD drive) and XB1-S (also with UHD drive) going below $200, PS4 still ended up winning the month in hardware sales even with neither base PS4 nor PS4 Pro featuring a UHD drive.

Why is that?  It all comes down to price.  By not including the UHD drive in the PS4 Pro, they saved on the cost (let's say $25-$50) and this allowed them to be more aggressive in their promos.  Deals like $350 for (PS4 Pro + game) or $300 with Amazon trade-in promo only happen with no UHD drive.  Sure, they sacrifice a few potential customers like you for whom no UHD drive is a dealbreaker.  But they pick up scores of others (like myself) who are more convinced by the lower price.  It's a calculated tradeoff, and it worked (that's why PS4 Pro has consistently comprised ~20% of all new PS4 units sold).

I can agree with you that it can be a precise decision to lower the up front cost of the device. My retort to that would be to do what they're doing with the VR. Make several options so all aspects of the market are covered. Old hardware, new hardware, various bundles.

#65 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14084 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

With that bein the case i am sure you then bought one from amazon for 299.99 ?

I didn't try for the $50 coupon and didn't want to risk trading in and the coupon being late, so didn't go for it. I'll just wait another year when the price comes down or something new transpires at E3.