* * * * - 18 votes

XBL Deals - 2018

#16621 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   3192 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

PSA that the Asura's Wrath last episode DLC is on sale - pretty sure every time this gets mentioned, everyone complains that

1) this DLC exists and wasn't included in the main game and

2) it never goes on sale

Can't do much about #1, but right now, Part IV is $3.50.

https://marketplace....0e-41e86db80980

#16622 Touch3  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

I hate my younger self so much right now, went to download MW2 and realized I must of owned it physically, because it’s not in my download list. What a buffoon my younger self was

I had this same reaction to Prince of Persia '08.  I was really happy to see the BC announcement, then disappointed when I noticed the disc on my shelf.

It hasn't been on digital sale since 2015... maybe there's hope... :/

#16623 gogomo  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

I had this same reaction to Prince of Persia '08.  I was really happy to see the BC announcement, then disappointed when I noticed the disc on my shelf.

Can you not install and play it from disc?  I thought the XB1 can read and install from 360 discs (well, technically it verifies the disc and installs from the servers...)?

#16624 Touch3  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

Can you not install and play it from disc?  I thought the XB1 can read and install from 360 discs (well, technically it verifies the disc and installs from the servers...)?

I believe you can... I just hate swapping discs around.  If it goes down to $5 again, I'll gladly rebuy to go digital.

#16625 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hands up in this thread if you've ever rebought a game on digital when you own the disc, NOT sold off the disc, and still haven't even played the digital copy. Bonus points if you never opened the physical copy in the first place and it's still sitting shrink wrapped.

#16626 Doctor Zod   Phantom Zone permanent resident CAGiversary!   589 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Doctor Zod

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

Hey, look at the $5 Lost Planet games that never  go BC  :shame:

#16627 Inriri   Kung Fu Skeleton CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

So......anyone play Strange Brigade? Never heard of it but a friend keeps peer pressuring me into buying it. Looks like it's from the Sniper Elite devs which I like, but I don't like the DLC and season pass nonsense.

It’s functionally competant and a tad easy, but the fact you don’t share loot pickups is going to kill it.

#16628 Lord Chabelo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1164 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Lord Chabelo

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

Hands up in this thread if you've ever rebought a game on digital when you own the disc, NOT sold off the disc, and still haven't even played the digital copy. Bonus points if you never opened the physical copy in the first place and it's still sitting shrink wrapped.

<Raises hand in bonus point shame>

#16629 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1464 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

They’re referring to the NBA 2K Prelude gme, which is a glorified demo that lets you carry some progress over to the main game. The game itself had achievements, but the 2K17 Prelude was an easy 1000G for those who were interested, while the 2K18 Prelude did not have any achievements.

Okay, got it now. Still strange not to be consistent with it though. Just my way of thinking.

#16630 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7943 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

Do I get more bonus points if I own the game on multiple platforms?

#16631 gorgo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   972 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

Started Far Cry 5’s Living Dead Zombies dlc last night, it’s fun but not great. Feels kind of like the original Left 4 Dead. Interestingly the whole thing was made with their arcade editor.

The least polished of the dlc, but still worth a try if you have the season pass. I wouldn’t buy it separately.

#16632 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10001 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

Holy crap. PS+ roundly trashed Gold this month:

Destiny 2 (PS4)
God of War 3: Remastered (PS4)
Knowledge is Power (PS Plus Bonus: PlayLink)
Here They Lie (PS Plus Bonus: PS VR required)
Another World — 20th Anniversary Edition (PS3, PS4, Vita)
QUBE: Director’s Cut (PS3, PS4)
Foul Play (PS4, Vita)
Sparkle 2 (PS4, Vita)

#16633 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10001 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

Since those Vita games are all crossbuy, that’s SIX games (most of which are decent) for PS4. And VR is actually not required for Here They Lie.

#16634 Darthziggy   Friendly neighborhood lurker CAGiversary!   600 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Darthziggy

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Holy crap. PS+ roundly trashed Gold this month:
Destiny 2 (PS4)
God of War 3: Remastered (PS4)
Knowledge is Power (PS Plus Bonus: PlayLink)
Here They Lie (PS Plus Bonus: PS VR required)
Another World — 20th Anniversary Edition (PS3, PS4, Vita)
QUBE: Director’s Cut (PS3, PS4)
Foul Play (PS4, Vita)
Sparkle 2 (PS4, Vita)

So Destiny 2 is finally - sorta kinda - heading toward the free-to-play idea? Very interesting timing with the new DLC coming out next week. Having the base game be free but requiring the $60 (?) worth of DLCs in order to do anything remotely new is a bold move.
I’m getting the Spidey PS4 next week, so I’ll definitely “purchase” D2 base just to have it, but I actually went and bought the complete D1 edition just to replay that, because it’s just so much better and I like the idea that I can show off my emblem from playing previous Bungie games on the PlayStation.

#16635 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   3192 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

So Destiny 2 is finally - sorta kinda - heading toward the free-to-play idea? Very interesting timing with the new DLC coming out next week. Having the base game be free but requiring the $60 (?) worth of DLCs in order to do anything remotely new is a bold move.

About damn time. There's plenty of content in the vanilla version for someone to decide if they want to keep playing and buy the expansions. I swear, Activision's business model for this game is the most detrimental thing about it. I think I got my fill on my $6 copy, it was nostalgic but I just don't have the time to invest in it like I did for D1. 

If they followed the WoW model and had all legacy content built in to each new expansion and version, I'd probably still want to play.

#16636 gogomo  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

Since those Vita games are all crossbuy, that’s SIX games (most of which are decent) for PS4. And VR is actually not required for Here They Lie.

I don't have a PS4 and am completely ignorant about how PS+ works.  For GwG, every month we get 2 free XB1 games and 2 free 360 games.  Does the PS+ program not have set criteria like this for every month?  They just give away however many games they feel like and for whichever PS platform they feel like?

#16637 MattZack   Virtue for the virtuous, signaling for others. CAGiversary!   1324 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

PSA to anyone who owns Toy Soldiers: War Chest - they have fixed the menu freezing issue.  This problem dates back two years and I for one am surprised and happy that it was fixed.  

#16638 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6317 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

Doesn't count if the digital copy was GwG.  Not full points if the sealed copy is a special edition of some sort with a physical bonus.

For example, I have the Fallout 3 lunch box still sealed.  Bought the game digitally for $2.50 or $5, never played.  Also have the Borderlands Handsome Collection Claptrap edition.  Opened that to gaze at the Claptrap, but never broke the seal on the game.  Bought the game digitally on sale, haven't played (but plenty of time in the 360 versions).  Phantom Pain collector's edition, game was GwG a couple months back.

Have multiple copies of some Resident Evil games across multiple platforms.  Can't remember if my GC copies of RE1, RE0 and RE4 are still sealed.  Have played very little of the franchise - a little RE2 on N64, the opening of RE5 on 360 and the Revelations demo on 3DS.  Super bundle price mistake FTW.

#16639 pittsnoggle   Lord CAGiversary!   4356 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

pittsnoggle

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

its always 2ps4 2psvita and 2 ps3, its just some games are crossbuy and some aren't, so this month all 6 of those games also come with ps4 versions. though ps3 and vita support is ending next year

#16640 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11251 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

*enthusiastically stabs air above head with hand*

About damn time. There's plenty of content in the vanilla version for someone to decide if they want to keep playing and buy the expansions. I swear, Activision's business model for this game is the most detrimental thing about it. I think I got my fill on my $6 copy, it was nostalgic but I just don't have the time to invest in it like I did for D1. 

If they followed the WoW model and had all legacy content built in to each new expansion and version, I'd probably still want to play.

You and probably 90% of Reddit that posts in the D2 subs.

#16641 pittsnoggle   Lord CAGiversary!   4356 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

pittsnoggle

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

I  bought the destiny 2 basegame for 10, played through the 8 hour campaign and had my fill, unless the DLC practices becomes less bullshit I am not ever going back

#16642 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11251 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

I bought the destiny 2 basegame for 10, played through the 8 hour campaign and had my fill, unless the DLC practices becomes less bullshit I am not ever going back

Version 2.0 was released yesterday and was 30+ GB in size (probably a preload for Forsaken) but they've made some neat changes to the game even if you are vanilla only. You should read the patch notes and see if anything strikes your fancy.

EDIT - Also, the new PvEvP mode Gambit will be free for anyone to try on 9/1.

#16643 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11251 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

A "new" Elite Wireless controller:

If this is Codename Washburn, I'm disappoint.

#16644 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11251 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

Also, DwG has been updated to include :360: games:

#16645 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10001 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

I don't have a PS4 and am completely ignorant about how PS+ works. For GwG, every month we get 2 free XB1 games and 2 free 360 games. Does the PS+ program not have set criteria like this for every month? They just give away however many games they feel like and for whichever PS platform they feel like?

Yeah, it’s like pittsnoggle said. Usually 2 for PS4, 2 for PS3 and 2 for Vita, but crossbuy gets PS4 a lot more games. And they also do PSVR games as a bonus occasionally that actually don’t always require VR. This month just was unusual in that every game works with PS4.

#16646 DGenerateKane   Former Kanenite CAGiversary!   763 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

DGenerateKane

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

There’s no firefight in the MCC. Big fail but I love the campaign so much that I’ve dealt with it.

But......that makes no sense. Firefight was fun.

#16647 Dustinator   Why hello....... CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Dustinator

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Damn, thats a killer month of freebies for PS4. Course, we had an awesome month this August with For Honor, Forza Horizon 2, Dead Space 3 and Epic Mickey 2. To counter Sony, Microsoft's big kahuna was Lego star wars clone wars? Bleh

Guess it could always be worse and we might've gotten add-on filler for f2p games......again......right????

#16648 PatFortenbaugh   ALL GLORY TO THE GAME PASS CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

PatFortenbaugh

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

But......that makes no sense. Firefight was fun.

I didn't know there was no firefight before I got it, and that was a MAJOR bummer

#16649 Jaybrones   Digital Cheapass CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Jaybrones

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

Yup, that's me.  I rationalize it by selling the physical game on ebay.  I figure if it pays for the cost of my digital copy, I'm not really out any money.

#16650 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3726 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

Yup, that's me.  I rationalize it by selling the physical game on ebay.  I figure if it pays for the cost of my digital copy, I'm not really out any money.

We're all just patrons of the video game industry here.  Think of us as poor art collectors.  An art collector rarely has time to enjoy the things they own.  In fact, often art sits in warehouses at shipping docks for tax reasons.  But they do it for two reasons: they are doing it as an investment and also because they want to support an industry that they love.  I hope most of us understand that one of those reasons doesn't apply to video games (most of the time), but that the other might still be worthwhile and might even justify stupid purchase decisions.