* * * * - 18 votes

XBL Deals - 2018

#19111 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8949 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:40 PM

So I ordered Assassin’s Creed Odyssey digital from Best Buy. I know they don’t send the codes ahead of time but if I recall, you don’t even get them until like 3 am EST or so. Is that still the case?

#19112 DGenerateKane   Former Kanenite CAGiversary!   592 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

DGenerateKane

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

Is anyone else farming the mixer app on your Xbox at night? When I wake up in the morning my Xbox is usually acting wonky and the screen is blank although the chat is still working and I’m still getting influence but then none of my apps will load and I have to restart it.

Why not farm 24/7 from PC? You can even check audio only to save bandwidth, if you have a cap like a lot of us.

#19113 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10228 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

https://www.wsj.com/...year-1538629322

Here is a non-WSJ link (that references the same info from the WSJ story):

https://www.gamespot...f/1100-6462269/

This comment from Mr. Nintendo is striking to me:

Back in January, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima teased that the Switch will have a longer lifecycle than previous Nintendo consoles. "Up until now, the hardware lifecycle has trended at around five or six years, but it would be very interesting if we could prolong that life cycle, and I think you should be looking forward to that," he said.

Does the :switch: have a replaceable battery in it?  If not, then you can definitely expect people to become sour on the fact that their portable game console doesn't last more than an hour while on the go because these batteries typically are only expected to last two years with regular charging/discharging.  Unless of course, Nintendo has a robust battery replacement program.

#19114 mundial1345   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

mundial1345

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:10 PM

POPULAR

How about a little end of the work day give away? Its currently 3:10 here like this post by 5 and I'll draw a winner for a digital code of Hollow Knight?

#19115 Darthziggy   Friendly neighborhood lurker CAGiversary!   419 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Darthziggy

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

How about a little end of the work day give away? Its currently 3:10 here like this post by 5 and I'll draw a winner for a digital code of Hollow Knight?

Heck yeah dude. Good stuff. Thanks for the opportunity and generosity.

#19116 mundial1345   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

mundial1345

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

Heck yeah dude. Good stuff. Thanks for the opportunity and generosity.

Welcome man :) bored at work haha

#19117 Lord Chabelo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1103 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Lord Chabelo

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

On the XB1? I go into the MS Rewards app. I have a points breakdown at the top. Next row is "Cash your points" and "Take the tour". Below that is the "Your offers" section. In there, I have :

Moon Gate / Wild Kingdom / October Survey
Movie and TV rental punch card / World of Tanks punch card / Forza Horizon 4 punch card
Watch Rainbow 6 Siege on Mixer / Check out Deadpool 2 in store / Check out Air Mech Arena in store

Below that are things to redeem and the "about". I've gone around in the app, maybe it's not something everyone got.

Same here

#19118 gogomo  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:27 PM

Xcom 2 really don't need more content on Xbox. The game is barely stable as it is and higher difficulties will basically cause the game to self destruct. The expansion freezes on the title screen for alot of players.

That makes me sad to hear.  While waiting for FH4 to release, I've been playing random games in my GwG backlog.  One of the games was Xcom: Enemy Unknown.  I absolutely loved the gameplay.  I'm trying to look for similar games right now; already tried Massive Chalice (didn't really like it, mainly because characters age and die) and will try Banner Saga 2 next.  Was going to put Xcom 2 on my watchlist for when it goes on sale so I'm sad to hear it doesn't perform well.

Does the :switch: have a replaceable battery in it?  If not, then you can definitely expect people to become sour on the fact that their portable game console doesn't last more than an hour while on the go because these batteries typically are only expected to last two years with regular charging/discharging.  Unless of course, Nintendo has a robust battery replacement program.

Kind of off-topic -- Your comment about battery got me doing some research about battery life for cellphones.  My current phone is over 5 years old now, which seems to be on the long side of estimates.  I take good care of my stuff so it looks and acts brand new (no case on it, no scratches or dents), but that's also partly because I don't use it much (only when I need to make calls or txt; I don't mobile game, don't social media, don't online surf).  Should I be worried that the battery or phone will just suddenly die one day since it's now over 5 years old?  Has this happened to anyone?  I typically charge it once a week or once every two weeks so pessimistically, that's around 260-300 charge cycles so far (online research says batteries can last 300 to 500 charge cycles).  I'm thinking it might be wise to offload all my pictures and contacts somewhere this weekend just to be safe.

#19119 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10228 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

Kind of off-topic -- Your comment about battery got me doing some research about battery life for cellphones.  My current phone is over 5 years old now, which seems to be on the long side of estimates.  I take good care of my stuff so it looks and acts brand new (no case on it, no scratches or dents), but that's also partly because I don't use it much (only when I need to make calls or txt; I don't mobile game, don't social media, don't online surf).  Should I be worried that the battery or phone will just suddenly die one day since it's now over 5 years old?  I'm thinking it might be wise to offload all my pictures and contacts somewhere this weekend just to be safe.

If you take care of your electronics and don't stress the battery on them by leaving them plugged in charging constantly, then the battery life expectancy is much greater.  Unless something damages the battery you should expect to see an immediate change in its behavior or power retention.  It is a gradual process where over time your battery seems to last less and less time to the point where it is basically shot and can no longer hold a charge.

The only recommendation I can give for your photos is to download some cloud app that automatically uploads any photos you take.  If you don't care for OneDrive or DropBox or iCloud or any of the others where your photos end up on some company's servers, you can look into a solution like NextCloud.

For contacts, I strongly recommend putting all that info into a Google account and then linking that account to your phone so you don't have to worry about transferring that data to a new phone.  You just add that Google account to your new phone and then they are there.

#FH5

#19120 gogomo  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

If you take care of your electronics and don't stress the battery on them by leaving them plugged in charging constantly, then the battery life expectancy is much greater.  Unless something damages the battery you should expect to see an immediate change in its behavior or power retention.  It is a gradual process where over time your battery seems to last less and less time to the point where it is basically shot and can no longer hold a charge.

Thanks for the advice.  I must've been editing as you were typing -- I added a bit about my battery charging behavior.  I typically only have to charge it once a week or once every two weeks, and the battery seems to last.  So maybe I'm good for now.  Will definitely take some precautions as you suggested though.

#19121 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2238 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

Something like that might tip the scales a little towards me getting a :switch:, but there just haven't been any "system seller" games for me.  The new DQ games would have done that, but DQXI also came out on :ps4: and I would expect the next DQ game to do the same.

I wish we were getting the 3DS port of DQXI which came out in Japan. Hoping some fan translation group would do it, since we already have the text translated via the PS4, but it'd be pretty superfluous. 

Re: batteries, my 3DS XL battery is still going strong after frequent long-term use, sleep mode, etc. over 4-5 years. Meanwhile, my Galaxy S4 needed a replacement battery after 2-3 years.

#19122 Firefox59   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   223 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Firefox59

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

That makes me sad to hear.  While waiting for FH4 to release, I've been playing random games in my GwG backlog.  One of the games was Xcom: Enemy Unknown.  I absolutely loved the gameplay.  I'm trying to look for similar games right now; already tried Massive Chalice (didn't really like it, mainly because characters age and die) and will try Banner Saga 2 next.  Was going to put Xcom 2 on my watchlist for when it goes on sale so I'm sad to hear it doesn't perform well.

Just keep in mind that other than the base game mechanics, xcom 2 is a completely different game. I've beaten EU and EW multiple times and loved both of them but I'd heard things about 2 so I did research. Not only is it considerably more difficult the devs have said it was designed to be very different. Its much more run and gun, fast-faced, do the objective and get out. Whereas I really enjoyed clearing the map with zero casualties in the first game. The idea that I AM going to close squad mates and leave aliens alive at the end of the mission just didn't appeal to me. Back in the day I would've just played it but my backlog is at the point where the chance of 'wasting my time' just isn't worth it. So look into it before you buy the 2nd one or you may be disappointed.

#19123 gogomo  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

Just keep in mind that other than the base game mechanics, xcom 2 is a completely different game. I've beaten EU and EW multiple times and loved both of them ...

You made me realize that I haven't played EW yet!!!  I can put that on my wishlist!  :D/

#19124 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5567 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for this list.  Seems way easier than the one from last week.  I remember seeing the list for last week and instantly went nope.  Lol.

I didn't realize buying houses gave you perks.  I was wondering last night why they're even in the game (thought maybe it was for fast travel purposes or to give us another excuse to spend $).  Just did some googling and I like how some properties have unique perks.  Now I'm debating which one to get first...

The retro hot hatch weekly challenge wasn't too bad, though the speed zone one's description wasn't correct.  I got a lot more than 3 stars across multiple zones, but it didn't unlock for me until I got 3 stars on a single one.  There's a speed zone in the east end of Edinburgh with an unbreakable fence along the outer edge you can use to guide you through the turn for a pretty easy 3 star with a high level car.  Tried that one with an X Agera RS, was in 53rd place on the leaderboard.

For houses, the double Forzathon points one will probably be useful.  Northwest part of the map.  I think it costs 5 million, but free for VIPs.  There's apparently one close to that one that unlocks skill songs.  Didn't realize they were back until I saw a mastery mention them last night.  Also haven't found that house yet, which is odd.  Maybe I triggered the nearby road with a race, and that could be tied to the final road I need.  The road achievement pops at 529/531, and I'm currently at 530.  Currently saving up for one of the castles, am over 7 million towards the 10 needed, but if that skill song house costs less than a million, I may buy it right away.

Was the only reward for playing the FH4 Demo the shirt you got shortly into it or was there more for playing deeper into the demo?  

I think the shirt was it.

#19125 mundial1345   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

mundial1345

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:16 PM

all of a sudden this day is dragging on....45 minutes left to enter for a chance to win Hollow Knight

#19126 gogomo  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

For houses, the double Forzathon points one will probably be useful.  Northwest part of the map.  I think it costs 5 million, but free for VIPs.  There's apparently one close to that one that unlocks skill songs.  Didn't realize they were back until I saw a mastery mention them last night.  Also haven't found that house yet, which is odd.  Maybe I triggered the nearby road with a race, and that could be tied to the final road I need.  The road achievement pops at 529/531, and I'm currently at 530.  Currently saving up for one of the castles, am over 7 million towards the 10 needed, but if that skill song house costs less than a million, I may buy it right away.

You're in luck!!  The skill song house is The Huntsman's Lodge and costs $750k.  It's located in the middle of the Lakehurst Forest.

#19127 mundial1345   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

mundial1345

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:01 PM

Contest is closed there are 41 entries

#19128 M-10  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:01 PM

Contest is closed there are 41 entries

Pick me! Pick me! :)

#19129 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5567 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

You're in luck!!  The skill song house is The Huntsman's Lodge and costs $750k.  It's located in the middle of the Lakehurst Forest.

Yeah, I saw someone posted its location on the Forza forums.  Since my Forza rewards properties stat is at 8/10, I thought I just needed the 2 castles.  Didn't realize there were still houses to buy.  Or maybe it is on my map and I haven't stopped in to buy it.  Will need to check tonight.

#19130 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5567 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

Pick me! Pick me! :)

Spoiler

#19131 mundial1345   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

mundial1345

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

and the winner is #15 which is Tribalnoise I'll pm you the code congratulations!

#19132 Bowie88   Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster CAGiversary!   189 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:21 PM

I hate to ask for what is probably the umpteenth time, but what Mixer stream are we using for the FH4 influence?  I thought I found one in the previous posts, but the little blue symbol is not popping up.  I've left it running for a good few hours at work here with nothing to show.  I've reloaded the page a few times, even switched browsers.  Any help would be appreciated.

#19133 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5567 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

I hate to ask for what is probably the umpteenth time, but what Mixer stream are we using for the FH4 influence?  I thought I found one in the previous posts, but the little blue symbol is not popping up.  I've left it running for a good few hours at work here with nothing to show.  I've reloaded the page a few times, even switched browsers.  Any help would be appreciated.

I was originally using Ponomar's (most current watchers), but he went offline a few times, and for the last week or so the option to switch resolution or to audio only isn't there.  Currently up, influence ribbon seems to come and go.

I then used TheLetslook.  Also went offline at times.  Currently hosting the guy below, no influence ribbon, audio only / resolution option available.

Since the weekend, I've been using Master_Irishman (second most current watchers).  Haven't been keeping a constant watch, not sure if he's gone offline.  Currently up, has influence ribbon, audio only / resolution option available.

#19134 Bowie88   Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster CAGiversary!   189 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:39 PM

I was originally using Ponomar's (most current watchers), but he went offline a few times, and for the last week or so the option to switch resolution or to audio only isn't there.  Currently up, influence ribbon seems to come and go.

I then used TheLetslook.  Also went offline at times.  Currently hosting the guy below, no influence ribbon, audio only / resolution option available.

Since the weekend, I've been using Master_Irishman (second most current watchers).  Haven't been keeping a constant watch, not sure if he's gone offline.  Currently up, has influence ribbon, audio only / resolution option available.

Awesome, thanks a ton Bloomy

#19135 braiiins  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:46 PM

My xbox 360 seems to be possessed. Whenever I go to turn the light on that sits on the shelf next to it the 360 registers that disc tray open button has been pressed. The light is like 6 inches away from the 360 so it's not like I put my hand right next to it. Sometimes it will activate after I've already walked away from the light. It also only happens when I turn the light on, it's never happened when I've turned the light off.

I haven't gone back to AC odyssey since release day, not because I don't want to but because I was in the middle of minecraft story mode when it came out. It's fine but I have to say it's probably one of my least favorite telltale games. There's only been one moment I've enjoyed in the story. I just have the second expansion to finish and then there's one less game in the small physical backlog.

#19136 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3707 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:51 PM

Final(?) Telltale update.

Apparently over the last week they've been trying to get a different studio to hire the Walking Dead team to finish the game. Very smart, expecting all the people they just fucked over without severance or health care a couple weeks ago to come back for contract work that would probably be 2 months long.

https://www.kotaku.c...ad-sources-say/

Maybe they realized how stupid this plan is, or they were told to stop stalling by legal or something, because this just happened.

#19137 Armstrong x360a   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   979 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Armstrong x360a

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Bloomy, where do I see how much influence I have accrued?

#19138 jimbobvaquero  

jimbobvaquero

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:02 PM

That's exactly the same path I took. Irishman is working fine for me the last evening or so.

#19139 FlawlessImage  

FlawlessImage

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

Why not farm 24/7 from PC? You can even check audio only to save bandwidth, if you have a cap like a lot of us.

Yeah I’m going to but my wife switched out my wireless mouse from one at her job the other day and I forgot the usb part controls my wireless keyboard too and now she can’t find the other one at her job so I need a new keyboard so I can’t type it in lol.

#19140 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5567 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Bloomy, where do I see how much influence I have accrued?

On PC, if you click on the ribbon, it will pop up a dialog.  You'll need to have crossed a 5 minute threshold for it to show you how much you've earned.  If it doesn't show anything, check back later.  If the stream ends and you're at 4 minutes, I think you'll see an update at the 1 minute mark of your next watch.  That dialog will update when your influence does.  If you don't have the dialog up, a quick pop up will flash near the ribbon when you've earned some.  I think that's how it works when watching on mobile or XB1.  Your influence total on Mixer resets when the game loads it.