Target Exclusive: Oregon Trail Handheld - $25 Retail

IDK why I want this but I'll have to get it during lunch. Moving across the US in a couple months so should be a great time killer on the road.

I picked one up yesterday. The Target employee had to get it from the back as they had yet to put them out and also had no idea they even had them. Oddly enough the girl brought out one for me to purchase and didn't seem to care to stock the rest of their inventory.

To my knowledge Target stores just started to get these in this week. It is pretty cool though the dpad is not the greatest, it works fine for Oregon Trail. Overall it's a cool novelty for $25 and I really dig that the device itself looks like an old DOS machine.

I am also surprised these are selling for $50+ on eBay already. This is a Target exclusive and like the Oregon Trail card game that is also exclusive to Target I fully expect them to continue to stock this for awhile.

I did not even know about this but I want it.  I don't know if I want it in handheld form though especially for a single device.

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK why I want this but I'll have to get it during lunch. Moving across the US in a couple months so should be a great time killer on the road.
Or you can live it! Get out of that car and randomly shoot at animals for food. Traffic sucks? Why not just take those wheels off your car and go across the river! Loved one have dysentery? Well, they were probably going to die from that or narive americans among those parts regardless.

I did not even know about this but I want it. I don't know if I want it in handheld form though especially for a single device.
I don't get the hype/desire for such a thing.

these are selling for $50+ on eBay already.
WHAT THE HELL TARGET BRICKSEEK SAID THERE WAS TWO BUT WHEN I GOT THERE THE CLUELESS EMPLOYEE JUST SHRUGGED AND SAID MUST HAVE BEEN STOLEN OR A GLITCH OR SOMETHING. YEAH RIGHT I KNOW THE EMPLOYEE'S JUST SCALP THEM ALL THE TIME. ALL I WANT IS ONE TO OPEN AND ONE TO KEEP SEALED I'VE BEEN THE BIGGEST OREGON TRAIL FAN I STILL HAVE THE DOS GAME THAT I LOAD UP EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE. ME AND BROTHER USED TO ALWAYS PLAY THIS I JUST WANT TO GET HIM ONE FOR HIS BIRTHDAY AND TARGET IS PROMOTING SCALPERS BY NOT HAVING ENOUGH.

WHAT THE HELL TARGET BRICKSEEK SAID THERE WAS TWO BUT WHEN I GOT THERE THE CLUELESS EMPLOYEE JUST SHRUGGED AND SAID MUST HAVE BEEN STOLEN OR A GLITCH OR SOMETHING. YEAH RIGHT I KNOW THE EMPLOYEE'S JUST SCALP THEM ALL THE TIME. ALL I WANT IS ONE TO OPEN AND ONE TO KEEP SEALED I'VE BEEN THE BIGGEST OREGON TRAIL FAN I STILL HAVE THE DOS GAME THAT I LOAD UP EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE. ME AND BROTHER USED TO ALWAYS PLAY THIS I JUST WANT TO GET HIM ONE FOR HIS BIRTHDAY AND TARGET IS PROMOTING SCALPERS BY NOT HAVING ENOUGH.
Nostalgia. When I was in school it was this, number munchers, lemonade stand, and Carmen Sandiago were games I played a lot.

Nostalgia. When I was in school it was this, number munchers, lemonade stand, and Carmen Sandiago were games I played a lot.
The Carmen Sandiego card game that Target had over the holidays was fun. My favorite part is that it's possible for Carmen to win. Like, four people sit down, strategize, carefully work out clues, and it can be all for naught if you pick the wrong card or make an errant guess. NOBODY WINS. :rofl:

I think it's great. Both games i've played Carmen won.

No one wants to play with me anymore though. :whistle2:k

The Carmen Sandiego card game that Target had over the holidays was fun. My favorite part is that it's possible for Carmen to win. Like, four people sit down, strategize, carefully work out clues, and it can be all for naught if you pick the wrong card or make an errant guess. NOBODY WINS. :rofl:

I think it's great. Both games i've played Carmen won.

No one wants to play with me anymore though. :whistle2:k
I got that for Christmas from my sister but have yet to play it yet. I doubt many people I know will want to play with it other than my sister. Lol

The Carmen card game was way better than the Oregon Trail one. The instructions for the Oregon Trail card game are fuzzy and unclear and the game just wasn't much fun.

Part of me wants to buy it incase it becomes rare and for pure nostalgia purposes, but part of me doesnt want to spend $25 on it as I doubt I'll play through it more than a few more times. Damn this cheapassery

Got mine at lunch, as they had 8 in stock but hadn't even opened the box yet. Luckily the Target near work isn't complete shit and the lady there has always been super helpful so she was able to track them down pretty quick. Going to display it next to my Centipede arcade machine from Walmart for a retro corner; love it!

I had to have them get it out of the back. Seems like these shipped out under the radar and employees had no idea about it and now it's been blowing up on Reddit and they have people going in asking about them when they can't find them on the shelf. I'll scope out Target when I go after work to hopefully snag that Striker Gunvolt deal, even though I should probably just pass since I have the 3DS version already.

Anyone remember the game where you're a something (sorry more like a fuzzy blue ball with legs) and you collect car,blimp,and aeroplane parts for solving puzzles. At the end of stage you would build your racer and go head to head against the boss.Also you would fend yourself from other somethings with bananas.

Anyone remember the game where you're a something (sorry more like a fuzzy blue ball with legs) and you collect car,blimp,and aeroplane parts for solving puzzles. At the end of stage you would build your racer and go head to head against the boss.Also you would fend yourself from other somethings with bananas.
gizmos&g.jpg

The same dummies buying Nintendo and Super Nintendo classics are sure to gobble these up.   Let's go back to the 90s where you bought a different handheld for every game you wanted to play on the go...

gizmos&g.jpg
YES!!!!!! that game was the shit as a kid and thank you for helping an old fart remember this.

I really love Oregon Trail...it's one of my favorite games and definitely a top 10 PC game for me (I'm a console gamer lol). Way too expensive tho...if this was around $10 I'd be all over it. The screen is way too small too..at least make the same size as A game and watch screen..

I played a lot of Carmen Sandiego video games back in the days, going around the world and time travel in different versions :)

But that's history, game evolved, device evolved, I totally don't understand why people want to get this thing, I'd rather play some free games on my phone.

And a few comments said that they didn't know what it was but wanted it... :shock:

I've read an article that said the developed countries have too many surplus on everything, I guess this is one.

I really love Oregon Trail...it's one of my favorite games and definitely a top 10 PC game for me (I'm a console gamer lol). Way too expensive tho...if this was around $10 I'd be all over it. The screen is way too small too..at least make the same size as A game and watch screen..
It's really more of a novelty than anything else. I've played around with it a bit though and the screen is fine, it's nice and bright for what it is. The Oregon Trail also plays just fine on this thing and the screen I would say is the same size as a Game and Watch screen. I think $20 is a better price for this myself, but $25 isn't too bad for the novelty of this thing. Was worth the price to me to put the thing in my Game Room at least.

Number Munchers and that one Muppet Babies game were my life at school as a 5 year old.

Almost all ~20 stores in my area are showing stock.  Must not be out yet then.  But I agree too much for 1 game, but retro people like to waste their money.  If Target did go through the trouble of making this exclusive, I would imagine they will be making enough for it to also be sold online for a while.  Could even hit clearance after the reddit hype fades.  Reddit is such a pain.

Amazon always has inflated 3rd party prices on things that amazon doesn't sell directly or before the item becomes widely available, and suckers like some of you start taking it as what it should cost.

Almost all ~20 stores in my area are showing stock. Must not be out yet then. But I agree too much for 1 game, but retro people like to waste their money. If Target did go through the trouble of making this exclusive, I would imagine they will be making enough for it to also be sold online for a while. Could even hit clearance after the reddit hype fades. Reddit is such a pain.

Amazon always has inflated 3rd party prices on things that amazon doesn't sell directly or before the item becomes widely available, and suckers like some of you start taking it as what it should cost.
I don't think anyone here is under the impression that this will be "rare". Like I had mentioned several pages back myself and you also mention here, this is a Target exclusive and they will absolutely stock more of these.

They could hit clearance eventually, but I wouldn't expect it. The Oregon Trail card game is also exclusive to Target and has sold quite well for them and didn't have nearly the hype this has gotten.

$25 may be too expensive for some, but for me, it was worth the $25 just to add it to my Game Room because it is simply a really cool thing kind of like those Arcade Classic handhelds. The Oregon Trail handheld is definitely much nicer and more playable than the Arcade Classics line too, which I believe retail for about $20. These things aren't for everyone and absolutely target collectors, especially the Arcade Classics.

Where were these things locatedin your store? Brickseek said my Target had some but I didn’t see them anywhere and the guy in Electronics didn’t know anything.

Where were these things locatedin your store? Brickseek said my Target had some but I didn’t see them anywhere and the guy in Electronics didn’t know anything.
Did they take the time to look it up on their Zebra device? That would give them an aisle number and inventory count.

Should be in toys on the back wall with board games if it’s on the planogram.

Seems he is upset about missing out on NES and SNES Classic Editions. Has anyone told him that SNES Classics are stocked all over the place now? I just saw about 6 of them at Target yesterday!
Same here! I saw three of the SNES when I went to buy Oregon Trail on Thursday. I was kicking myself for buying two of these at launch and not listening to Reggie Fils-Aime when he warned that these would be in ample stock, unlike the NES.
Going to hop on the nostalgia bandwagon and go play OT now.

I haven't seen any snes in the wild in my area for a long time, and still not regularly available online anywhere for longer than a few minutes other than the bundle kohls had last week that included a $40 joystick.  But if the talk is true that they will be making NES for the summer, I expect the snes supply to dry up completely when they do that, possibly gaining value again, while the NES is the easier to find.

What?  No Lemonade Stand?

It's sort of tempting, but I'll probably just stick with Organ Trail since I have that on my PC, PS4, and Vita, and the nostalgia goggles kind of wear off after a few games.

What? No Lemonade Stand?

It's sort of tempting, but I'll probably just stick with Organ Trail since I have that on my PC, PS4, and Vita, and the nostalgia goggles kind of wear off after a few games.
Organ Trail was the only PS4 game that I finished last year.

I have a very short attention span.

Has anyone figured out how to delete a saved game? I'm over this and want to re-gift it to a friend. Resetting on the back doesn't work.

Has anyone figured out how to delete a saved game? I'm over this and want to re-gift it to a friend. Resetting on the back doesn't work.
I'm guessing you can't, but wouldn't it be more fun to hand it off back and forth competing for the highest score? That might make it a little more engaging for you.

I'm guessing you can't, but wouldn't it be more fun to hand it off back and forth competing for the highest score? That might make it a little more engaging for you.
I finished out my game and that got rid of it. The high score list is already populated and I didn't come near to making it. I wonder if it's just a dummy option.

bread's done
Back