- - - - -

HD Link (HDMI) for OG Xbox is up at Amazon

#31 b3mike   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   592 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

GC HDMI adapters are ridiculously priced because the alternative is component cables that are $300+ these days

i just inject gamecube games to my wii u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dfo likes this

#32 Icedus   Starpointer CAGiversary!   97 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Oh what the hell, I'll roll the dice.  Like my grandmother used to say, if you can't bring OutRun 2 to a 16:9 screen, bring a 16:9 screen to OutRun 2.

#33 Jurai  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

GC HDMI adapters are ridiculously priced because the alternative is component cables that are $300+ these days

Ouch I got mine from Japan pretty affordable back in the day

#34 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1734 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:08 AM

i just inject gamecube games to my wii u
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Nintendont on my Wii, and it runs most games... but it doesn't work with the Game Boy Player, of course. That puts me back on square one. I mean, there's a GBA emulator for the Wii, but I have no idea if games will play at full speed (my guess is "no").

#35 b3mike   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   592 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:44 AM

I use Nintendont on my Wii, and it runs most games... but it doesn't work with the Game Boy Player, of course. That puts me back on square one. I mean, there's a GBA emulator for the Wii, but I have no idea if games will play at full speed (my guess is "no").

I use Nintendont the channel not the forwarder on my Wii U. I was too lazy to hack the vwii so I just make do with colboot haxchi. GameCube games look really good. I really haven't bothered messing around with portable games. In my opinion they look horrible on a 4k and well I've always hated the Wii U gamepad but virtual console games do look nice on it. I'm nearing 40 and we'll I'll much rather plant myself in front of a huge tv instead of handhelds lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#36 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14482 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

Are you both using 2.5" portable hard drives? I'm using a Seagate 1TB Backup Plus that was reported as working on the compatibility page, but it only does so occasionally and I have to restart my Wii often. Even bought the USB port Y cable and get the same results. It's formatted in FAT32, and I even ripped from my own games.

#37 b3mike   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   592 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:06 AM

Are you both using 2.5" portable hard drives? I'm using a Seagate 1TB Backup Plus that was reported as working on the compatibility page, but it only does so occasionally and I have to restart my Wii often. Even bought the USB port Y cable and get the same results. It's formatted in FAT32, and I even ripped from my own games.

On my Wii I had an external USB 2.0 drive with its own power supply, haven't messed with that console in a while but I dont recall having problems. On my Wii U I use a 2.0 drive with a y cable and sometimes I have problems because it has to be plugged in a certain way, meaning one cable likes to pair with one USB port and the second cable will only pair with the other USB port. Sometimes when I unplug it and get the two cables switched around the Wii U won't recognize the drive. It happens on the front and back USB port of the Wii u

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#38 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   827 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

These have been OOS for months unless you're willing to pay $90+ on eBay

Available for ordering for $24.99 on Amazon, expected to ship in a week

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076J9TNCD/

About the same amount I paid for my backup OG Xbox 10 years ago..two OG Xboxes, no more HDMI TV's... Ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks to josecortez for the capacitor heads up. I'll check my OG xboxen asap. Guy posts quality for my phone AND and saves my vintage hardware? Where's the "saint" button on CAG?? :)

#39 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

About the same amount I paid for my backup OG Xbox 10 years ago..two OG Xboxes, no more HDMI TV's... Ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks to josecortez for the capacitor heads up. I'll check my OG xboxen asap. Guy posts quality for my phone AND and saves my vintage hardware? Where's the "saint" button on CAG?? :)

Thanks for the props, buddy. Just saving all my OG Xbox fans a headache or too. I hope everyone's machines will last as long as my launch model has.

#40 Kaijuboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   158 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Kaijuboy

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

FYI: got my cable in and it works on my v1.4 without any interference issues! So there is hope for people without a v1.0-v1.3 and have a later Xbox!

#41 starscream615   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   667 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

starscream615

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

FYI: got my cable in and it works on my v1.4 without any interference issues! So there is hope for people without a v1.0-v1.3 and have a later Xbox!

Thanks for the update. Still waiting for mine to ship. I chose the slow shipping for the buck toward digital goods promotion

#42 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3991 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

I have had this cable for months and it works on my launch model great. I actually still benefitted from this thread because I had no idea about the clock capacitor issue. I took the capacitor out even though it had yet to leak ( I actually didn't rehook up my OG Xbox until this hdmi cable originally came out, so the system sat in the closet for years). So now, my launch console should be good and reliable.

#43 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

I have had this cable for months and it works on my launch model great. I actually still benefitted from this thread because I had no idea about the clock capacitor issue. I took the capacitor out even though it had yet to leak ( I actually didn't rehook up my OG Xbox until this hdmi cable originally came out, so the system sat in the closet for years). So now, my launch console should be good and reliable.

Glad to hear that the "operation" went well and that the "patient" is doing fine. It really is an easy fix even if you've never cracked open a video gaming system in your life!

#44 CheepyDee   Hello I am Best Buy GCU's Scolding Mother Banned   304 Posts   Joined 1.6 Years Ago  

CheepyDee

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Damn, glad I pre-ordered one. Surprised at how many are clamoring for one. I don't even have an OG Xbox, though now I might want to find one for sale

#45 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

Damn, glad I pre-ordered one. Surprised at how many are clamoring for one. I don't even have an OG Xbox, though now I might want to find one for sale

Those bad boys are all over Craigslist although there's no telling what condition they're in. You could probably score one with a handful of games for really cheap. OG Xbox is in that sweet spot right now where most of the best games for the system aren't really in demand even though it's retro, so you can still find a used one for a pretty good price. Kind of like PS3 is, but a generation behind.

#46 CheepyDee   Hello I am Best Buy GCU's Scolding Mother Banned   304 Posts   Joined 1.6 Years Ago  

CheepyDee

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

OG Xbox is in that sweet spot right now where most of the best games for the system aren't really in demand even though it's retro

That would surprise me because Microsoft has been greenlighting those games lately and they run as if they got a remaster treatment. Quite honestly even if I wanted to play old games, I'd still play it on the One S lol

#47 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

I was searching on Amazon to find options to get my Dreamcast VGA box to work through HDMI and I found that one of the Pound Technology HDMI cables for the original Xbox is still in stock for $29.99 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.c...1HtL&ref=plSrch

On a related note, I played Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast on my OG Xbox this morning with this cable, and it looked great on my 39" Vizio even in 480i. This is a good item to own if you still play OG Xbox games. Off from work today so I will be catching up on the backlog starting with Arctic Thunder.

#48 Jurai  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

yeah it's a nice product, and they redesigned it recently so that the HDMI cord is a breakout from the box instead of fully inlined, I do still have issues with interference in the picture though, I'm not sure if it's isolated to specific systems or what, Pound doesn't seem to really have it narrowed down either, it does sound like it's specific to the systems themselves. Hopefully someone can figure out 'what' is causing it and come up with a hardware level fix.

Edit: if anyone can report which version Xbox they're using the cable with and whether they see interference or not maybe that would help get to the bottom of it?

#49 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

yeah it's a nice product, and they redesigned it recently so that the HDMI cord is a breakout from the box instead of fully inlined, I do still have issues with interference in the picture though, I'm not sure if it's isolated to specific systems or what, Pound doesn't seem to really have it narrowed down either, it does sound like it's specific to the systems themselves. Hopefully someone can figure out 'what' is causing it and come up with a hardware level fix.

Edit: if anyone can report which version Xbox they're using the cable with and whether they see interference or not maybe that would help get to the bottom of it?

Here is a Reddit link that explains how the date that the Xbox was manufactured determines what model you might have:

https://www.reddit.c...x/wiki/revision

My primary OG Xbox is a 1.2.  I remember not being able to afford one at launch, so I ended up buying one of the ones that came in the Jet Set Radio Future/Sega GT 2002 bundles after I saved up enough money to get it.  At the time, I had a girlfriend who was willing to buy it for me, but I refused since I knew that meant that I would be "pwned" from that moment on.

My secondary OG Xbox is a 1.6 that I found at a yard sale.  Because all of my custom soundtracks are already on the 1.2, I rarely plug in the 1.6 although it works just fine.  Neither of mine have been modded. 

Anyway, mine doesn't seem to have any interference on either Xbox, but I'm using the first version of the Pound cable.  Maybe I don't know what the interference is supposed to look like. 

#50 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   2308 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:48 AM

not belittling this at all, but in case anyone is interested:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that is a very reasonable solution for the price point. basically converts your RGY plugs into HDMI.

#51 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1734 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:46 AM

I've got one of these coming in the mail. Already had a component cable but one of the connectors is coming apart... I needed a replacement, and this sounds like it'll do the trick. My system's a 1.6 model so I'm not anticipating any problems with waviness.

#52 Dalto11   Cheapskate Supreme CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:13 AM

I just got the V2 model in today - the one with detachable HDMI cable. I had crazy bad wavy green interference with the first model and returned it. the V2's interference is much more subdued and playable enough for me. Dissappointed that my console isn't completely compatible - I need to check my revision version. But I'm gonna keep any eye out for a more compatible model on the used market.

#53 adam81  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

I had never heard of that either. I bought a few Xbox's over the years. My last Xbox, and the one I currently use(I have a new sealed Halo Xbox as well)  was purchased when I was working retail around 2005-06. It was manufactured in 2005. It was the Forza bundle.  Pretty sure that was the last Xbox bundle I ever saw. I assume I'm safe from that issue. 

My Xbox also has a different disc drive that isn't a Thomson, Phillips or Samsung.

#54 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1734 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:24 AM

I think the cut-off point for leaky clock capacitors was 2004, so yeah, you're fine.

#55 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

I had never heard of that either. I bought a few Xbox's over the years. My last Xbox, and the one I currently use(I have a new sealed Halo Xbox as well) was purchased when I was working retail around 2005-06. It was manufactured in 2005. It was the Forza bundle. Pretty sure that was the last Xbox bundle I ever saw. I assume I'm safe from that issue.

My Xbox also has a different disc drive that isn't a Thomson, Phillips or Samsung.

Take a minute and look at the silver sticker underneath the bottom of the system. The manufacture date will tell you what model you have. If you don't have a 1.6 model, I'd remove it. If you have a 1.6, don't remove it. That's pretty much it.

Anyone receive the cable and then go back and try any of their old games? Or try any that they hadn't played? Xbox One backwards compatibility is fine, but it only works on a small group of titles and forces you to install the game even when using the disc. I miss the days of playing a game off the disc. Never thought I'd say that.

#56 Jurai  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

My Xbox has a dead disc drive so I just run everything off the hard drive at this point

#57 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6826 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

My Xbox has a dead disc drive so I just run everything off the hard drive at this point

There seems to be a consensus among the regulars on the original Xbox thread on Reddit that suggest that modding and playing from the hard drive is the best way to go at this point. I haven't done it on either of my systems because I don't want to lose the original dashboard interface. I have a lot of memories attached to seeing that dull green screen and hearing those weird echoes in the background. My 1.2 is extremely finicky and only opens when it wants to. I have to give it a good slap to get the tray to open.

#stopretrogamingsystemabusenow

#58 Jurai  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

I had to replace my hard drive also last month, was kind of a pain to do with no working DVD drive, only got through it thanks to CHIMP having an ide hot swap mode

#59 starscream615   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   667 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

starscream615

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for telling me about the new version folks. Returned the one I just bought from amazon and ordered the new one with free same day delivery.

#60 Jurai  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for telling me about the new version folks. Returned the one I just bought from amazon and ordered the new one with free same day delivery.

Did you have interference problems previously? Would be curious to know if the new one cleans that up or not, Pound says they didn't internally change anything other than making the hdmi port connect outside the box