11/4/18 - 11/17/18 Buy $150 Best Buy egiftcard, receive FREE $15 future savings code

Josef

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Best Buy is running this promotion again, just in time for Black Friday.

Details:

$15 SAVINGS CODE OFFER

• Valid 11/4/18-11/17/18 online only.
  • $15 savings code will be provided via e-mail on 12/16/18 for use toward a future purchase made from 12/16/18-12/29/18.
  • Maximum of 3 $150 e-gift card purchases during promotion time period per customer and savings codes will be sent via e-mail in $15 increments.
  • Valid e-mail address required to receive savings code.
  • Savings code may be redeemed online and in store.
  • The value of the savings code will not be refunded if merchandise is returned or an order is cancelled.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics/gift-cards/cat09000.c?id=cat09000#/

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past were we able to use the $15 code on a gift card?

Just a bit concerned about not having anything to buy between 12/16 and 12/29.

Didn't see anything in the fine print in the website.

Thanks for putting this up. I just finished off my last set of gift cards.

For some reason, it says that the transaction was declined, and it did it for all my cards.

I've done it every time they offered it this year. Last time I used the card and code to preorder/pay off KH3, RE2, and Cold Steel. I think I will wait for the black Friday ad to leak before I decide to do it this time. I do need to get someone an iPad for xmas, and would probably use the savings code to preorder Metro, which is the last early-2019 game I need to preorder.

Here’s a question... I have about $600 banked in RZ points. Can I use RZ points to buy a few of these $150 gift cards and get a few $15 savings codes in return? Plan on getting the new iPad pro very soon, this would be the cherry on top.

Here’s a question... I have about $600 banked in RZ points. Can I use RZ points to buy a few of these $150 gift cards and get a few $15 savings codes in return? Plan on getting the new iPad pro very soon, this would be the cherry on top.
I don't believe so as they sell their egiftcards through a third party site (Cashstar), though you can get Reward Zone points if you give your account number at checkout.

I don't believe so as they sell their egiftcards through a third party site (Cashstar), though you can get Reward Zone points if you give your account number at checkout.

Ah, it's a third party offer. That's unfortunate.

Thanks for putting this up. I just finished off my last set of gift cards.

For some reason, it says that the transaction was declined, and it did it for all my cards.
I was able to finish checking out by using PayPal instead of credit cards.

These have mostly worked out fine, but there was one time when none of the bonus cards worked. One CS agent said they were never activated and somehow couldn't be activated, and another said they were expired by the time they arrived. IIRC, after a long time in CS hell, I ended up getting replacement codes from CS-- and then new codes arrived by email to replace the original ones. Pretty sweet from a value perspective if you don't value your time.

I was able to finish checking out by using PayPal instead of credit cards.

These have mostly worked out fine, but there was one time when none of the bonus cards worked. One CS agent said they were never activated and somehow couldn't be activated, and another said they were expired by the time they arrived. IIRC, after a long time in CS hell, I ended up getting replacement codes from CS-- and then new codes arrived by email to replace the original ones. Pretty sweet from a value perspective if you don't value your time.
Time = $$$

They should have thrown an extra $5 code in! :)

I suppose I should do this since I'm debating getting a psvr with the likely everywhere $100 off.
That is exactly what I did when Best Buy had the PSVRs on sale for $100 off back several months ago. Did a couple of these offers to cover the cost and got $30 in free gift card codes back in a few weeks. Pretty sweet deal for something I was going to buy anyway.

I used to think this was a good deal until I realized when using GC's you generate no RZ points and since I'd use them on games, I'd be missing out on 300 points from the $150 spent. That's the equivalent of over $5 in RZ certs, making the $15 code worth less than $10 in the long run. With such a short window and so many hoops to jump through, isn't worth it to me anymore.

I used to think this was a good deal until I realized when using GC's you generate no RZ points and since I'd use them on games, I'd be missing out on 300 points from the $150 spent. That's the equivalent of over $5 in RZ certs, making the $15 code worth less than $10 in the long run. With such a short window and so many hoops to jump through, isn't worth it to me anymore.
You get rz points for buying the gift card if you put your membership id on the purchase page.

Also you can use the gift card to pay tax, effectively getting points on the tax, whereas you don't get points for tax when purchasing from Best buy.

I don't understand your math but I agree that the time limitation sucks.

You get rz points for buying the gift card if you put your membership id on the purchase page.

Also you can use the gift card to pay tax, effectively getting points on the tax, whereas you don't get points for tax when purchasing from Best buy.

I don't understand your math but I agree that the time limitation sucks.
Huh, I never buy GC's but know that they don't count towards points when used so that makes sense. In that case, it's only a loss of 150 points because games purchased double the point count under GCU.That makes it slightly less of a bad deal for me but I want the full amount I'm being promised in any case; not the illusion because of how their system works. :nottalking:

Also if you forget to put your ID after the transcation is done you can always contact BB and they will add the RZ points. I had to do that last year.

Also if you forget to put your ID after the transcation is done you can always contact BB and they will add the RZ points. I had to do that last year.
So if you put your membership ID, does it count to elite plus and it gives you points? I'm planning to buy a TV this Black Friday and it'd help me to reach that status but last time I bought GC in Raise, they didn't count on my progress

So if you put your membership ID, does it count to elite plus and it gives you points? I'm planning to buy a TV this Black Friday and it'd help me to reach that status but last time I bought GC in Raise, they didn't count on my progress
That's because you get points for buying the gift card from bestbuy/cashstar directly. If you buy GC from raise somebody else may have received points for it.

From the terms:

My Best Buy program points are awarded upon purchase of Best Buy gift cards and Magnolia gift cards, but not on redemption. All gift cards and prepaid cards are excluded from all bonus point promotions unless otherwise noted.

Eh, I won't bother. I'll just buy it normal since I have a BB credit card that I'm responsible with. I think 3x points for purchases at the store?

That's because you get points for buying the gift card from bestbuy/cashstar directly. If you buy GC from raise somebody else may have received points for it.
From the terms:
Ah, I see. Thanks! I'm gonna buy three then, since it counts towards it

AMEX has an offer that you get a credit for $30 if you buy $300 at Bestbuy valid until December 31,2018. It wont be available for all accounts but it was on mine. It might not work with giftcards online though.

AMEX has an offer that you get a credit for $30 if you buy $300 at Bestbuy valid until December 31,2018. It wont be available for all accounts but it was on mine. It might not work with giftcards online though.
It won't work with this particular offer unfortunately since Best Buy sells their egiftcards through Cashstar.

Just got the spend 300 outside of best buy with the best buy visa again and receive a $15 reward, last time they had this GC deal it counted towards the amount since it's third party lol

Can you use multiple savings codes on a single transaction? I’m planning to get a tv before the end of the year and I don’t like any of the Black Friday ones, so I was looking to find a way to save a little more. This would be a nice way to save a little more and I could use my family to get a few more, but I’m just not sure if you can apply any number of the savings codes or if it is limited.

Can you use multiple savings codes on a single transaction? I’m planning to get a tv before the end of the year and I don’t like any of the Black Friday ones, so I was looking to find a way to save a little more. This would be a nice way to save a little more and I could use my family to get a few more, but I’m just not sure if you can apply any number of the savings codes or if it is limited.
You should be able to as these bonus codes are basically limited-time use gift cards. BB lets you enter multiple gift cards to an order so you should be able to enter multiple bonus codes.

I did as well no matter what I did. I paid with PayPal and it worked.
PayPal was the first thing I had tried. Since there's still six more days for the promo, maybe I should just wait a few days and try again. If that doesn't work, I may have no choice but to (sigh) contact their customer service.

Does anyone know if it's any less safe to pay with a credit card on the cashstar site than Best Buy itself?

Last edited:
So whats the workaround for the 3 card limit? just use a different e-mail and payment method to get another 3 $15 gift cards?

This is treated like a gift card so max 10 in store and 8 online can be used in a single transaction

I have two questions. I want to buy 3 $150 gift cards will it tell me that I qualify for the $45 credit in December when I check out? And my other question is, what form of payment is better to use PayPal or credit card?

I have two questions. I want to buy 3 $150 gift cards will it tell me that I qualify for the $45 credit in December when I check out? And my other question is, what form of payment is better to use PayPal or credit card?
yea, it'll state that you're qualified for 3 $15 when you checkout. I bought 3 $150 myself and it was fine.

This is treated like a gift card so max 10 in store and 8 online can be used in a single transaction

You should be able to as these bonus codes are basically limited-time use gift cards. BB lets you enter multiple gift cards to an order so you should be able to enter multiple bonus codes.
Thanks for the info! I had no idea they limited the gift cards, but it makes sense. I'm glad I waited because I think I'm going to end up going through Sam's Club now anyway. I still have some purchases to make with Best Buy, so it would be nice, but with all the issues ordering these I think I will be okay without it. Thanks again for the help!

Question, if my friend also gets this promo, and I let him use my member ID, would that cause trouble like getting banned? It's limited to three so idk

If you don’t want $15 BB credit later for buying $150 now, Rite-Aid is offering $15 credit when you purchase $100 of BB credit. On the plus side, the RA credit will load the next day. On the minus, you have to use it within 60 days. More info at the other thread ... https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/368634-/

If you don’t want $15 BB credit later for buying $150 now, Rite-Aid is offering $15 credit when you purchase $100 of BB credit. On the plus side, the RA credit will load the next day. On the minus, you have to use it within 60 days. More info at the other thread ... https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/368634-/
One other minus is you don't get My BB Reward Zone points when you buy it at Rite Aid (versus their egiftcard partner Cashstar).

Can you purchase PSN cards with these?  I'm interested in some of the Black Friday deals and I'm all digital lately, so it'd be nice to get an extra discount.

I put in my account number and they didnt apply the amount towards elite. My dollars spent remain the same. It's been a number of days, too.

Last edited:
Did anyone receive your gift cards instantly? It's been more than 4 hours and nowhere to be seen. I am a bit concerned now. Paid with Paypal before anyone asks

I put in my account number and they didnt apply the amount towards elite. My dollars spent remain the same. It's been a number of days, too.
Really? Wtf that would be messed up since that's exactly why I bought them

I received my gift cards via email literally right after I purchased them.  I used credit card though (not sure if that makes a difference).

Did anyone receive your gift cards instantly? It's been more than 4 hours and nowhere to be seen. I am a bit concerned now. Paid with Paypal before anyone asks

Really? Wtf that would be messed up since that's exactly why I bought them
I did receive them instantly (not the $15 ones, though which come next month if I remember correctly).

I emailed them about it tonight and am hoping they'll get back to me and add it to my dollars spent.

Last edited:
It takes 2 weeks for the credit to get there, same as with reward points. Happened to me in the last promotion, my $ spent toward elite went up by 150 exactly 2 weeks later.

It takes 2 weeks for the credit to get there, same as with reward points. Happened to me in the last promotion, my $ spent toward elite went up by 150 exactly 2 weeks later.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the info.

bread's done
Back