* * * - - 11 votes

XBL Deals - DwG: Fallout 76, Skyforge, WRC 5/6/7, 360 CoD:MW, more | Deep Silver | GwG: PvZ: GW2, Adventure Time: PotE; MGR: Revengeance

#2821 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2508 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

After playing Crackdown for about 4 hours last night I have to wonder if the reviewers are working on either an agenda, or mass imitation. This gen has a poison well in the form of YouTubers that slander a game before release, only to see copycat reviews pop up all over the place.

For the last 5+ years. Very few “reviewers” will i even read/listen to. I’d much rather see gameplay videos with little commentary and demos.
And its not limited to games either...

#2822 defgufman   Carl Stucky...pleased to meet you! CAGiversary!   1148 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

For the last 5+ years. Very few “reviewers” will i even read/listen to. I’d much rather see gameplay videos with little commentary and demos.
And its not limited to games either...

True that......the internet for all its good has a nasty double edge in the form of poisoned rhetoric from untalented commentators hoping to get famous.

#2823 even13flow   Founder of GamerNation CAGiversary!   499 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:53 PM

So I'm on the Microsoft Rewards on the Xbox One and it looks like the Hot Deal displayed on here is Microsoft Solitaire, Mahjong, Jigsaw, and Word Games.

Didn't see it mentioned yet probably cause it's not worth mentioning. Looks like I'll be banking my points again until next time

#2824 davemoseley  

davemoseley

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:01 PM

So I'm on the Microsoft Rewards on the Xbox One and it looks like the Hot Deal displayed on here is Microsoft Solitaire, Mahjong, Jigsaw, and Word Games.

Didn't see it mentioned yet probably cause it's not worth mentioning. Looks like I'll be banking my points again until next time

That's been a hot deal since the beginning of the month I think... Throwing off the usual schedule.

#2825 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2182 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

Played Crackdown 3 last night for a tad over 2 hours and it's plenty fun. It's only a disappointment in the face of the hype-train, because MS definitely promised something bigger and more unique. 

There's plenty to do, lots of things on the radar, locations to liberate, weapons to find. It reminds me a little more of Saints Row 4 with the ridiculous verticality and leaping up buildings, which isn't a bad thing, and the platforming is very solid. Climbing up floating platforms to reach an objective or find orbs is fun, and the agility/mobility takes off once you get the air dash.

It's not revolutionary or original, and I stick with what I said before, that it should have been a $40 game marketed as a remake of the original. If you remotely enjoyed the original, there's a good game here. It's not original or unique, but it's fun. 

I think the biggest strike against it right now is RE2, KH3, Anthem, and Metro are all out within 4 weeks of Crackdown 3, and those are all probably more compelling games.

#2826 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

I think Crackdown just had a lot of stuff going against it in general

-We are DEEP into what is probably the driest spell for quality exclusives since the 360 Kinect dark era.

-Tons of good to amazing games in general have come out over the past few months.

-Even in it's genre, you have people coming off of both RDR2 and Spider-Man, which are both top of their class in the genre in polar opposite directions.

-The series that are from the same era have generally tried to evolve their gameplay, specifically Assassins Creed is coming to mind here.

-The one feature that really looked great that MS heavily advertised for a while is the building destruction, and now it's only in multiplayer?

-This is the one game that managed to survive the early generation purge that killed Fable Legends, Phantom Dust, and Scalebound.

-Microsoft believed in this project enough to allow it to change developers and stew for an extra couple years over the other games they canceled, really?

At the end of the day it is fine, but it feels like it could have come out shortly after CD2 and would have been more or less the same. The real problem continues to be the lack of other exclusives placing a magnifying glass on each game the comes out.

One other thought. How many of you are playing it without directly paying for it, through GamePass? Getting the game for free instead of $60 can have a big impact on opinion. 

#2827 even13flow   Founder of GamerNation CAGiversary!   499 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:02 PM

Perhaps I missed this, but Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy is on sale for $10 for Xbox One this week.

https://www.microsof...vot:overviewtab

It includes the first three of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games in one package. I'm not into Naruto like that, but I'm considering it since it's a helluva deal for three full games, and developer CyberConnect2 has a good pedigree for quality games.

Damn you! I don't even like these kinds of games or anime or anything like that but the CAG in me can't resist a good price point.

I'm actually gonna buy the ultimate pack that includes 4 also for $17.50. I can handle spending roughly $4.50 per game on something I'll never play. I have a problem.

#2828 Colddecembersnow   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   582 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Colddecembersnow

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

-We are DEEP into what is probably the driest spell for quality exclusives since the 360 Kinect dark era.
-Tons of good to amazing games in general have come out over the past few months.
-Even in it's genre, you have people coming off of both RDR2 and Spider-Man, which are both top of their class in the genre in polar opposite directions.
-The series that are from the same era have generally tried to evolve their gameplay, specifically Assassins Creed is coming to mind here.
-The one feature that really looked great that MS heavily advertised for a while is the building destruction, and now it's only in multiplayer?
-This is the one game that managed to survive the early generation purge that killed Fable Legends, Phantom Dust, and Scalebound.
-Microsoft believed in this project enough to allow it to change developers and stew for an extra couple years over the other games they canceled, really?

At the end of the day it is fine, but it feels like it could have come out shortly after CD2 and would have been more or less the same. The real problem continues to be the lack of other exclusives placing a magnifying glass on each game the comes out.

One other thought. How many of you are playing it without directly paying for it, through GamePass? Getting the game for free instead of $60 can have a big impact on opinion.

GP. I'm wondering though if Crackdown may be one of the reasons why MS decided to put their 1st party releases on GP at release.

Also remember M$, that seemed ages ago.

#2829 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2182 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

[commentary]

Agree 100%, if it came out in the first 12-18 months of the console's lifespan, it would have been received way better. The agility-based platforming reminds me a little of Sunset Overdrive, which is a good thing. I still think the over-promising is what is hurting it the most, but if it had been a launch-window title, reviewers would have been much kinder to it.

And yes, open world games have definitely evolved, looking at GTA IV to GTA V, for example. CD3 is a perfect title for Game Pass, but it's not a $60 game, especially when looking at its open-world competition (all the games you named).

#2830 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

GP. I'm wondering though if Crackdown may be one of the reasons why MS decided to put their 1st party releases on GP at release.

I'd guess their overall wafer thin exclusive lineup was a real factor on all MS games being on GP at launch, but probably not any one game. 

I'm curious what the long term strategy will be. Right now they say that they're making plenty off of GP, and said Forza Horizon 4 sold better than the previous game even with all the GP players. I don't know if that would be the case when they have 13 studios putting out games and all of them being available on the service. I get the impression as long as Spencer is in charge the platform will probably continue, but it's easy to see it getting shut down eventually. With a lot of Spencer's comments on the matter it sounds like both strategies go hand in hand to make up part of a much longer term plan.

I hope it pays off but it is a bummer that this generation basically became a write-off. I'm not sure we're going to get a ton of games from those new studios during this generation if Xbox Two is coming next year.

#2831 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6468 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

Damn you! I don't even like these kinds of games or anime or anything like that but the CAG in me can't resist a good price point.

I'm actually gonna buy the ultimate pack that includes 4 also for $17.50. I can handle spending roughly $4.50 per game on something I'll never play. I have a problem.

There were three things that kept me from buying the ultimate pack.

1. I've only seen the Naruto anime a few times, but I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on including why there was a blond teenager living in ancient Japan.  Most anime series confound me.  I've never been able to get through an entire episode of Dragon Ball or One Piece.

2. I will probably backlog these games, and by the time that I finally get around to playing them, the fourth game will be cheaper than $7.50.

3. I also wanted to buy Heart & Slash and Vostok Inc, two indie games that will probably get more play time than any of the Naruto games.

Please let us know if the fourth game is worth it.

#2832 even13flow   Founder of GamerNation CAGiversary!   499 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

Oh you think I'm actually going to play them lol. We'll see I might fire it up to see what I spent $17.50 on.

#2833 LoganDX   Five by Five, B CAGiversary!   1444 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

Reading some of the comments about CD3 on different reviews has it looking like fans of the game feel that the game sites are being overly harsh while Sony fanbois are ripping on anything Xbox. There are a fair amount of people tho that do believe it could have been better (like I do) but it is not the travesty it's being made out to be. Had it dropped at $40 as well as Game Pass, no brainier. $60 is a bit much

#2834 jimbobvaquero  

jimbobvaquero

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

Giant Bomb seemed to have a pretty reasonable review of CD3. If you have Gamepass, give it a try. If you are doing the $1 a month for a trial maybe think about it. Don't buy it at $60. 

#2835 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2182 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

I'd guess their overall wafer thin exclusive lineup was a real factor on all MS games being on GP at launch, but probably not any one game. 

I'm curious what the long term strategy will be. Right now they say that they're making plenty off of GP, and said Forza Horizon 4 sold better than the previous game even with all the GP players. I don't know if that would be the case when they have 13 studios putting out games and all of them being available on the service. I get the impression as long as Spencer is in charge the platform will probably continue, but it's easy to see it getting shut down eventually. With a lot of Spencer's comments on the matter it sounds like both strategies go hand in hand to make up part of a much longer term plan.

I hope it pays off but it is a bummer that this generation basically became a write-off. I'm not sure we're going to get a ton of games from those new studios during this generation if Xbox Two is coming next year.

Netflix spends plenty of money making their own movies and TV shows, along with licensing other 3rd party content, and they seem to be making tons of money. At this point, I think MS is most concerned with platform/brand engagement, and Game Pass is a source of consistent revenue.

People checking social media to find out what the new games are is good business. Plus, people like me who will pay to subscribe (albeit at a discounted rate) but don't spend $60 on new titles are giving them money they otherwise wouldn't get. 

It would be a terrible decision to go back on all 1st party titles launching on Game Pass, I'm not sure the service could recovery in terms of good will. If the next generation of Xbox is backwards compatible with everything that runs on Xbox One, Game Pass will be an incredible platform gateway.

#2836 Bowie88   Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster CAGiversary!   169 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

The fourth game is worth it, coming from someone that bought the 4th game before the other 3 came to the One. I absolutely recommend playing them in order, especially for someone new to the series, but the 4th one has some great combat for a Bamco/CC2 game, plus you get all the story of 4, wrapping up Naruto's story, plus the Boruto DLC, dealing with his son, in addition to a few other extras like costumes and secondary stories. If you are already planning on getting the trilogy, I would definitely recommend the legacy edition, even if you do backlog the whole thing.

#2837 TheDarkKnight815  

TheDarkKnight815

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

Put me on the list of people that like Crackdown 3. I only played a tiny bit of the other crackdown games and for what it is it’s pretty fun. I have kingdom hearts and resident still untouched day one purchases. I don’t play as much but continue to buy and when I do play it’s on the switch just cuz it’s more convenient and faster on my schedule especially with a 7 month old around.

With that being said yes it reminds me of agents and saints row and a little bit of sunset overdrive which I kinda want to play now. I’m about to head out and play some Pokémon go community day and actually all I want to do is play more crackdown. It’s simple, fun, and easy to pick up and play without over thinking anything. Highly recommend to anyone!

#2838 Bowie88   Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster CAGiversary!   169 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

Just checked, and installing Crackdown 3 through Gamepass does not count towards a purchase, and doesn't give you the 6000 points on the punchcard. So for those with Gamepass, the achievement punchcard is the only one available.

#2839 kdiddy1989   I make average CAGs look rich. CAGiversary!   2084 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

Daytona 500 list of entries for the $10 Xbox Gift Card + 1 Month Xbox Game Pass contest tomorrow:

Spoiler

Entries for tonight's NBA All-Star weekend 3 point shootout $5 Xbox Gift card contest below:

Spoiler

I always enjoy watching these events more when they provide a chance to give back.  Good luck to everybody who made it in the contests! 

I'll be PMing the winner of the 3pt shootout tonight, then the race winner tomorrow evening.

#2840 Mr_hockey66   Lets go pens! CAGiversary!   7797 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Mr_hockey66

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

I'm playing crackdown 3 just because of terry crews.

Did anyone else think the opening to be like deadpool 2

#2841 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4037 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

NBA2k code
5TFYM-VKBH4-2??9K-4E9RT-44QYJ

I hate you all. Nah, ??

anyone solved this riddle? I tried JK and didn’t work!

#2842 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:49 PM

Looks like my racer won the race on Valentine's Day and appears to place top 3 regularly. Let's go Logano!

I'm not sure if anyone else is still playing Soul Calibur but we finally have some updates.

Costume DLC coming 2/19 (in Japan). 67 armor pieces and includes several songs from Soul Edge (17 tracks) and the first Soulcalibur (11 tracks). That's better than what they said before with about 50 per pack.

Next DLC character is announced, Amy. This pretty much confirms the leak, so Cassandra should be next.

#2843 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6468 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:04 PM

Oh my gosh.  I am thoroughly enjoying Heart & Slash.  Like the Destructoid review said, it really is a mix of Devil May Cry and Megaman Legends.  I never thought that somebody would mash-up those two games into one, but here we are.  The unlockable weapons make you want to play it over and over.  And, the story mode was confusing, so I'll just play endless dungeon mode instead.  But, it is well worth the $5.

#2844 Dagolara   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   642 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Dagolara

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

anyone solved this riddle? I tried JK and didn’t work!

Still need a code?

#2845 dualrec  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:03 PM

Really digging anthem so far. Gameplay is fun. Kinda like being iron man.
Obviously playing off destiny, but I'm so burnt out on destiny.
Bought the annual pass and everything and I haven't even tried a new raid yet since the first one. Not sure what exactly changed, but I used to be hardcore into destiny. Now it's hard to want to play.

#2846 ilovexboxone   video game master CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

ilovexboxone

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:04 PM

who is William Bryon? is he a good racer?

#2847 LoganDX   Five by Five, B CAGiversary!   1444 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:05 PM

Oh my gosh. I am thoroughly enjoying Heart & Slash. Like the Destructoid review said, it really is a mix of Devil May Cry and Megaman Legends. I never thought that somebody would mash-up those two games into one, but here we are. The unlockable weapons make you want to play it over and over. And, the story mode was confusing, so I'll just play endless dungeon mode instead. But, it is well worth the $5.

Loved Mega Man Legends. Big Devil May Cry fan. Saying I'd like this one?

#2848 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:06 PM

Checking out some streams of Anthem on Twitch. Several of them are doing endgame stuff and finished with the story. That's awfully short for Bioware.

#2849 LoganDX   Five by Five, B CAGiversary!   1444 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

Anybody need the Twitch NBA 2K19 code? I have one if one of you fine folks need one

#2850 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6468 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

Loved Mega Man Legends. Big Devil May Cry fan. Saying I'd like this one?

It's like Mega Man Legends in perspective only, and there are a lot of robots in the game, but the combos would definitely remind you of Devil May Cry.  The story mode was slowing things down, so I decided to just play the randomized dungeon mode.  I don't really have the attention span for games with stories that don't move along.  If you want to read the Destructoid review, it will give you a better idea of what you can expect than I can possibly explain.

https://www.destruct...-371182.phtml  

And I tried the first Naruto Ultimate Ninja game from the $10 trilogy bundle.  It reminded me of Bully with a lot of jumping and martial arts because it's an open world game where you walk around and get missions from NPC characters who need your help.  It didn't hold my interest long, but I maybe I will try it again later.  The cel-shaded graphics look nice.  

My New Year's resolution is to try every game that I purchase in 2019 right away, so I give them all 5 minutes before turning them off.  If I like them, they get more than 5 minutes.  Obviously.