* * * * * 3 votes

PSN $25 Gift Card $20.65 at Raise.com

#91 TruthynessStrategery  

TruthynessStrategery

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

Raise feels like the textbook definition of a fly-by-night operation. Dealing with their customer service gives the impression this was/is a startup helmed by a handful of frat-dicks out of their garage. They don't actually sell gift cards. They are a go-between. As in, they sell other peoples' unwanted gift cards to you for a fee. IF you purchase anything from them, use the funds IMMEDIATELY. The danger of being ripped off is real because they have no mechanism in place to protect buyers or sellers. A seller can easily sell the code & upon seeing the money enter his account he can then also use the funds attached to the code. If you buy a gift card expecting it to be like a normal one you can keep around forever & use it months or years later, you may have a surprise $0 balance when you try to use it. Raise supposedly has a "One Year Guarantee" protection plan in place for buyers, but I wouldn't want to put it to the test. Check out the reviews at ResellerRatings if you have any doubts. For example, there are multiple reviews in which buyers had to resort to CC charge-backs to get their money back, whereupon Raise perma-bans your account (no idea if they do this on an IP address basis or if it'd be easy to create a new Raise account).

Now, as to my personal experience with them, it has been mixed & until this weekend I was happily ignorant of the above. I had used them to buy a couple gift cards previously without issue. I used both immediately so that likely contributed to my "success".

This weekend I purchased a $25 PSN code for a small 14% discount & they randomly froze my purchase/account *after* charging my credit card & then sent me an email to request that I call them to "clear things up", like I'm a middle schooler calling my mommy. I realize this is some half-assed attempt at a fraud check, but this is the same exact CC# I've used with them twice before without issue. This is the same exact CC# I use with Amazon, Newegg, eBay thru Paypal...hell...even Rakuten. And none of them have ever frozen a purchase & asked I call them. So, setting aside my annoyance & the fact that I didn't have the spare time to spend an hour on the phone with Raise, I went ahead & attempted to call them yesterday to clear this up. I called twice & get an automated response both times telling me that no one is available to take my call. Turns out, while Raise has email CSRs who will randomly freeze purchases/accounts in response to a purchase, they don't employ phone CSRs who can take calls on Sunday to clear up the mess that the email CSRs create. hahaha SO, they had my money & I had no way to use the code I purchased for at least 24 hours. On the one hand, I feel like this is "first world problems". On the other hand, it boggles the mind they don't have anyone to handle the phones on a Sunday. And this doesn't particularly build my confidence with their operation after reading a few of the aforementioned "horror story" reviews on ResellerRatings. 

In other words, caveat emptor. There is an opportunity here to save some bucks on gift cards. And that's why we're all here on CAG. Just make sure you use 'em immediately & go in knowing that if you have to deal with customer service you may be in for an adventure. 

#92 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16968 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:38 AM

Raise feels like the textbook definition of a fly-by-night operation. Dealing with their customer service gives the impression this was/is a startup helmed by a handful of frat-dicks out of their garage. They don't actually sell gift cards. They are a go-between. As in, they sell other peoples' unwanted gift cards to you for a fee. IF you purchase anything from them, use the funds IMMEDIATELY. The danger of being ripped off is real because they have no mechanism in place to protect buyers or sellers. A seller can easily sell the code & upon seeing the money enter his account he can then also use the funds attached to the code. If you buy a gift card expecting it to be like a normal one you can keep around forever & use it months or years later, you may have a surprise $0 balance when you try to use it. Raise supposedly has a "One Year Guarantee" protection plan in place for buyers, but I wouldn't want to put it to the test. Check out the reviews at ResellerRatings if you have any doubts. For example, there are multiple reviews in which buyers had to resort to CC charge-backs to get their money back, whereupon Raise perma-bans your account (no idea if they do this on an IP address basis or if it'd be easy to create a new Raise account).

Now, as to my personal experience with them, it has been mixed & until this weekend I was happily ignorant of the above. I had used them to buy a couple gift cards previously without issue. I used both immediately so that likely contributed to my "success".

This weekend I purchased a $25 PSN code for a small 14% discount & they randomly froze my purchase/account *after* charging my credit card & then sent me an email to request that I call them to "clear things up", like I'm a middle schooler calling my mommy. I realize this is some half-assed attempt at a fraud check, but this is the same exact CC# I've used with them twice before without issue. This is the same exact CC# I use with Amazon, Newegg, eBay thru Paypal...hell...even Rakuten. And none of them have ever frozen a purchase & asked I call them. So, setting aside my annoyance & the fact that I didn't have the spare time to spend an hour on the phone with Raise, I went ahead & attempted to call them yesterday to clear this up. I called twice & get an automated response both times telling me that no one is available to take my call. Turns out, while Raise has email CSRs who will randomly freeze purchases/accounts in response to a purchase, they don't employ phone CSRs who can take calls on Sunday to clear up the mess that the email CSRs create. hahaha SO, they had my money & I had no way to use the code I purchased for at least 24 hours. On the one hand, I feel like this is "first world problems". On the other hand, it boggles the mind they don't have anyone to handle the phones on a Sunday. And this doesn't particularly build my confidence with their operation after reading a few of the aforementioned "horror story" reviews on ResellerRatings. 

In other words, caveat emptor. There is an opportunity here to save some bucks on gift cards. And that's why we're all here on CAG. Just make sure you use 'em immediately & go in knowing that if you have to deal with customer service you may be in for an adventure. 

Did you read post #73 in this very thread from almost 2 weeks ago? I already tried to warn you guys, lol.

#93 WittyNickname   Ne'er-do-well CAGiversary!   330 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

WittyNickname

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

IF you purchase anything from them, use the funds IMMEDIATELY.

This is a sage point. I've bought several cards from them in the few weeks I've been aware of them, and deposited them immediately with no trouble. The most recent card I bought, this week during their "extra 7% off" sale, was when I discovered the ceiling for a PSN wallet. So I cannot use my newest code until I spend enough on PSN to at least offset the amount of the new code.

Needless to say, I'm nervous about whether this new code will be worthless soon (or maybe is already). Fingers crossed, and thanks for the level-headed post and advice.

#94 TriLink  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:03 PM

would like refferal code for $5 off thanks. So with discount and $5 off how much would a $25 card be

#95 TriLink  

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:28 AM

any new codes for discounts?

#96 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3525 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:26 AM

Just bought 3 more PSN cards from them. One of the three won’t redeem. Guess I gotta deal with their bullshit tomorrow. Luckily I used PayPal so it shouldn’t be an issue to get my money back for it.

#97 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2076 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

Nice. Got $25 PSN for $15.43 after $5 off and discount code "FIREWORK". Great deal. Site is legit. I got it within minutes and redeemed it instantly. Note: I used a referral link for $5 off (you need to confirm your phone number for the $5 off to show up under your account) and a credit card (No options for PayPal) to purchase it. Thanks OP.

#98 Daisydog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1399 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

Nice. Got $25 PSN for $15.43 after $5 off and discount code "FIREWORK". Great deal. Site is legit. I got it within minutes and redeemed it instantly. Note: I used a referral link for $5 off (you need to confirm your phone number for the $5 off to show up under your account) and a credit card (No options for PayPal) to purchase it. Thanks OP.

Thanks for the discount code. FIREWORK gives you 5% off.

You can use paypal, but only if you're ordering through the app.

I have a post in the referral central part of the forum

https://www.cheapass...-at-a-discount/

You can click my link there, or private message me for the link to sign up and get your $5 off

#99 brutx15   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   88 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

https://www.cheapass...-all-paltforms/

Code FIREWORK gives extra 5% off this weekend only. Code 10THANKS gives additional $10 off a purchase of $100 or more, plus the original discount and free $5 referral sign-up.

code FIVEOFFA7TV9W for $5 off $75

#100 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3685 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

Took a chance and bought one and now I have to wait until tomorrow morning to call them and "verify" my account before I get the code. Not worth the hassle to save a few bucks. 

#101 brutx15   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   88 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

This week only you can get $10 free in raise cash for someone you refer new to the site and they make their first purchase by the end of the week. Everything is the same, you just get 2x the bonus for a referral this week only. Most discounts are still relatively the same. So you can get a $25 PSN card for $16.46 as an example.

https://www.cheapass...-all-paltforms/

#102 Daisydog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1399 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:54 AM

New code for an extra 7% off any gift card

MIDSUMMER

Gift cards, especially eshop, will go in and out of stock all day so keep checking back. Using the app will allow you to pay with Paypal and will even reserve the card in your cart for 10 minutes. On the app, the enter promo code section is a little easy to miss, it's right under the word Subtotal in the shopping cart.

As always, if it's your first purchase you can use someone's referral link to sign up and get an extra $5 off in addition to the promo code savings. (private message me, or pretty much anyone from this thread. Or check the referral central part of the forum)

#103 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5344 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for posting about the promo code^  Ended up getting a $25 card for $15 basically. 

#104 KillerBs75  

KillerBs75

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

Used the referral and other codes.  If it works with my two orders I'll have gotten $75 of PSN credit for $48.17.  My orders are all sitting in "we are currently processing your payment."  So, I have a feeling it's going to be kinda a pain in the ass but I'll get through it.

All in all with that and the Amazon Twitch "free" game, I'm looking at a pretty good first week as a newcomer to PS4.  Spending a total of $61.24, roughly the cost of one full price new game, I'll have gotten The Last of Us, $15 of Amazon Credit to use for another game, and $75 of PSN credit.  Pretty good way to be all set to build a decent PS4 collection quick.

Edit: I got all three and all three worked.  Thanks OP and the one who referred me (the first one to post referral) enjoy your free $5.  Now to wait for PSN to have good sales.  I'm holding out for the $9.99 prices on the big exclusives for now on the less hyped sales.  Will feel like a real CAG combining all these deals to pick up games for like an effective $6.50 each.

#105 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3424 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:50 AM

Used the referral and other codes. If it works with my two orders I'll have gotten $75 of PSN credit for $48.17. My orders are all sitting in "we are currently processing your payment." So, I have a feeling it's going to be kinda a pain in the ass but I'll get through it.

All in all with that and the Amazon Twitch "free" game, I'm looking at a pretty good first week as a newcomer to PS4. Spending a total of $61.24, roughly the cost of one full price new game, I'll have gotten The Last of Us, $15 of Amazon Credit to use for another game, and $75 of PSN credit. Pretty good way to be all set to build a decent PS4 collection quick.

Edit: I got all three and all three worked. Thanks OP and the one who referred me (the first one to post referral) enjoy your free $5. Now to wait for PSN to have good sales. I'm holding out for the $9.99 prices on the big exclusives for now on the less hyped sales. Will feel like a real CAG combining all these deals to pick up games for like an effective $6.50 each.

Just an FYI, if you bought the PS4 new there should be a 20% off code towards digital games in a pamphlet.

#106 KillerBs75  

KillerBs75

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:13 AM

Just an FYI, if you bought the PS4 new there should be a 20% off code towards digital games in a pamphlet.

Really? I checked for all kinds of codes and just looked again and nothing but some manuals. It was a PS4 Slim new and sealed from Amazon. Unfortunately missed the Pro deal but I not one to be that bothered by only being 1080p

Thanks for the heads up anyway though

#107 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3424 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:45 AM

Really? I checked for all kinds of codes and just looked again and nothing but some manuals. It was a PS4 Slim new and sealed from Amazon. Unfortunately missed the Pro deal but I not one to be that bothered by only being 1080p

Thanks for the heads up anyway though

Weird, maybe they stopped doing it. I've gotten a code with a slim and pro in the past.