* * * - - 26 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 10/14: Halloween & Games Under $20 Sales! $39 NBA 2K21 Deal of the Week!

#8521 helveticastandard   nyaa CAGiversary!   757 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

helveticastandard

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

https://twitter.com/...206429036204032

Did Sony just f-ing make and upload a BLM theme two days before shoveling the very concept of PS4 themes into oblivion?

What is the deal with Sony not having a massive PS3/PSP/Vita sale right before de-listing from the website? They would make a ton off people panic buying.

Apparently publishers have been saying for a while that Sony has been blocking sales for those older platforms for months.

#8522 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3769 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:27 PM

https://twitter.com/...206429036204032
Did Sony just f-ing make and upload a BLM theme two days before shoveling the very concept of PS4 themes into oblivion?
Apparently publishers have been saying for a while that Sony has been blocking sales for those older platforms for months.

By shoveling you mean taking them off the web store? You do realize you can buy themes on their respective consoles right?

#8523 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   797 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:33 PM

This conversation keeps going on but I keep wondering: I thought they were launching a new web store. Is launching a new web store with different features the same as "removing" features from the old web store? 

I'm reminded of Steve Jobs talking about Apple's decision not to support Adobe flash on the iPad. When you go to make a new product, it's not like every feature from the old technology comes for free. You make decisions about what to spend your time on and support. The mere fact that something existed in the past doesn't justify supporting it into the future.

I can't envision a next-gen storefront with a bunch of shitty fucking garbage last-gen-esque "themes" and "avatars" polluting up all the pages and search results (and even posts here on CAG about "free content" available on the store, as if themes and avatars are "content" and not pollution).

Having to buy "themes" and "avatars" on a storefront is so fucking seventh generation. Good riddance, I welcome a new store without that baggage.

#8524 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70410 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

#8525 helveticastandard   nyaa CAGiversary!   757 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

helveticastandard

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

By shoveling you mean taking them off the web store? You do realize you can buy themes on their respective consoles right?

Of course, but it seems particularly absurd in this particular case, going to the effort of publishing an item that’ll be instantly buried. I mean, do you go browsing specifically for themes? I presume few people do, which ironically feeds into why they are being taken off the web.

This conversation keeps going on but I keep wondering: I thought they were launching a new web store. Is launching a new web store with different features the same as "removing" features from the old web store?

Just gonna say that you are 100% right that the implementation of themes and avatars into the store has been detrimental. Trying to browse the Deals section each week became more trouble than it was worth years ago.

As for the rest of it, this was all likely going to happen no matter what, but this rollout should have been better. I don’t know, all I hope is that they at least don’t make things even worse for the legacy systems in the short term.
  • Ex~ likes this

#8526 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2834 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

It's funny how getting rid of themes and avatars will seemingly make the store easier to shop when they could have just made it not suck at filtering them out.

#8527 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

What is the deal with Sony not having a massive PS3/PSP/Vita sale right before de-listing from the website? They would make a ton off people panic buying.

Yeah, I'd definitely buy some Vita or PSP games if they would discount them. Not the first time Sony didn't want my money.

#8528 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5666 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

Of course, but it seems particularly absurd in this particular case, going to the effort of publishing an item that’ll be instantly buried. I mean, do you go browsing specifically for themes? I presume few people do, which ironically feeds into why they are being taken off the web.

Just gonna say that you are 100% right that the implementation of themes and avatars into the store has been detrimental. Trying to browse the Deals section each week became more trouble than it was worth years ago.

As for the rest of it, this was all likely going to happen no matter what, but this rollout should have been better. I don’t know, all I hope is that they at least don’t make things even worse for the legacy systems in the short term.

Themes and avatars don't pollute the store much compared to the numerous garbage shovelware games and dlc.

#8529 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1140 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:43 PM

Avatars and other trash definitely pollute the store when you're looking through DLC content for a game with a lot of it. I've had that experience several times and it usually ends in me throwing my hands up and walking away from the purchase entirely.

#8530 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1249 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 12:24 AM

They need to make it so that custom game currency only shows up in-game and not in the PSN storefront.  I get so annoyed going to the store's "New This Week" list and seeing Let It Die's Death Metal packs every single week.  How are the same currency packs showing up as new every damn week?  The publishers probably think that showing off their currency every week keeps the game in the public's eye. but it's actually really counter-intuitive.  I can't tell you how many games I've passed on because I went to their DLC list and saw half a dozen currency packs.

#8531 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70410 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Yesterday, 01:13 AM

Recent release deals:

Pre-orders

Carto - $17.99 - 10% Off - Ends 10/27, Out 10/27

PS4
Amnesia: Rebirth - $26.99 - 10% Off - Ends 10/20

Space Crew - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 10/29
This is the Zodiac Speaking - $17.99 - 10% Off - Ends 10/23

Freebies:

Black Lives Matter Theme - Free
Ghosts of Tsushima - Legends - Free

Hyper Scape - Vulcan Pack - Free

Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory Demo Version - Free

Neverwinter - Blood War PS Plus Promo Pack - Free

Onee Chanbara Origin - 10 free DLC - Free

Star Trek Online - House Divided Exclusive Cobalt Ba'ul Weapon Pack - Free

#8532 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70410 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Yesterday, 01:58 AM

Seems like some Walmarts might have DualSense controllers in stock and maybe other PS5 accessories:

DualSense: https://brickseek.co.../?sku=615549727

Seems like the POS system has them marked for a 10/30 release to match what Sony's direct site is doing. Hope my online order gets updated to ship early, as well.

#8533 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1358 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Seems like some Walmarts might have DualSense controllers in stock and maybe other PS5 accessories:

DualSense: https://brickseek.co.../?sku=615549727

Seems like the POS system has them marked for a 10/30 release to match what Sony's direct site is doing. Hope my online order gets updated to ship early, as well.

When I pull up Brickseek, one of my closest stores has it 70% off for $22. Any chance that’s actually legit?

#8534 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3612 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 09:17 PM

When I pull up Brickseek, one of my closest stores has it 70% off for $22. Any chance that’s actually legit?

If they don't honor street date, you may be able to get it.  Probably would be worth a chance to pick up a few.   

Odds are they are in the back and aren't even on shelves though. 

#8535 Lucian   Officer Friendly CAGiversary!   1448 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 PM

It's funny how getting rid of themes and avatars will seemingly make the store easier to shop when they could have just made it not suck at filtering them out.

QFT.

#8536 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2834 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Isn't $22 the price Walmart accidentally pricematched preorders to?

#8537 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1358 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Isn't $22 the price Walmart accidentally pricematched preorders to?

I thought it was $45-50 but I could be wrong. I’ll try to get over to that store and see what happens. Definitely expect it to be an error that gets fixed.

#8538 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70410 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Today, 06:56 AM