* * * - - 12 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 10/8: PSVR Anniversary, WB, & Games of a Generation Sales! $21 Hitman 2, $5 Mad Max, $24 Tetris Effect, & More!

#1171 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3568 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:00 PM

Any thoughts on Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 10/22 or Bravo Team - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 10/22?

I know Bravo Team had bad reviews/feedback due to glitches, etc.  Was any of it patched?

#1172 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14458 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:24 PM

Sony is Lazy? They're throwing out big games left and right what has MS done?

Both next gen console seem to be pretty close in specs from what has been leaked so far.

They're throwing out the same big games, over and over. Let me describe to you their next big game: heavily narrative and actor driven, third-person shooter/melee, action adventure game. Sound familiar? It should since Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, Spider-man, Horizon, etc are ALL THE SAME DAMN GAME. Their portfolio is like if McDonald's suddenly only offered burgers with different toppings.

#1173 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1379 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

Ace Combat finally hit half price, here’s the long wait until it’s $19.99

#1174 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14458 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

In terms of games, yes Sony is destroying MS. But, MS is really putting the pressure on with game pass, maintaining 4 games per month with GwG, has a better rewards program, and just seems to be listening to the community more.

I like PlayStation obviously, have had every iteration of their consoles, but to say they aren't getting the big head and a bit lazy just as they did in the transition from PS2 to PS3 is asinine. Competition is good for all of us gamers in the long run.

This is exactly what I see. GWG, and game pass specifically have my full attention because I'm getting to try out new release games quickly and for next to nothing. I don't care at all for digital, but games as a service? I'm all for that. I'll still buy the games I want to own forever in a collection, but more and more I'm getting to try before I buy on X1. That's actual real value to me.

#1175 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1707 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

They're throwing out the same big games, over and over. Let me describe to you their next big game: heavily narrative and actor driven, third-person shooter/melee, action adventure game. Sound familiar? It should since Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, Spider-man, Horizon, etc are ALL THE SAME DAMN GAME. Their portfolio is like if McDonald's suddenly only offered burgers with different toppings.

they didn't seem like the same game to me, so what do you want?  you seem very hard to please

#1176 knothead65  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

If you think they're all the same, there is no help for you. What does MS do that is different ? Gears, Gears, Forza, Forza?  

#1177 elessar123  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

I think pretty much every gripe was from after the HQ moved to California. I could be wrong though.

#1178 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3568 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

I think Microsoft is doing a better job because of value to consumers for things like GamePass, but your statement makes little sense to me.  Sony is kind of filling a void of narrative driven games that other companies like Ubisoft, Activision, and EA don't want to make anymore because they don't make money (or at least don't make as much money) or are bigger gambles.  Control (a narrative game) just came out and appears to have tanked despite good reviews. 

I appreciate Sony for doing narrative games, although I don't know that it shows they are putting consumers first necessarily.  They are still charging full price for these games.  Microsoft is giving away games for "free" in GamePass like Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Outer Worlds, and many other titles.  Microsoft, of course, isn't running a charitable organization, either, but they are trying to compete more than Sony is.  This is why people label Sony as "lazy" which is not really the correct term.

#1179 Ervgotti85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   953 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

If you think they're all the same, there is no help for you. What does MS do that is different ? Gears, Gears, Forza, Forza?

Don’t forget the occasional Halo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1180 Chainsaw_charlie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   443 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Chainsaw_charlie

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:58 PM

I was a Nintendo backer till N64 then I've been a Playstation guy. I just prefer the PS1-2-3-4 game catalogue 

#1181 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9508 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

I go wherever the better niche games are and that has been mainly the Vita and now the Switch for this generation. For me I don't play very many FPS so that throws out a good portion of Microsoft's exclusives for me. Am happy with Sony's exclusives for the most part plus some console exclusive games like the Yakuza series.

#1182 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14458 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:07 PM

I'm not comparing first party games between the two, I'm comparing companies. Sony has done very little lately other than continue with their successful model game structure and put out new consoles, while I see MS genuinely paving the way for GaaS. IDC that they have little to offer first party wise -- they're gaining my attention for the groundwork being laid here while putting their own games on it day one for free.

But since people don't understand what I mean by Sony games being all the same I'll spell it out: they used to put out Jak and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Twisted Metal, Legend of Dragoon, Syphon Filter, Dark Cloud, PaRappa, on and on.

What came out last year? Detroit, God of War, and Spider-man. This year? Days Gone. Next year? Last of Us II. I mean c'mon. . .Even though MS has nothing to offer but more Gears, Forza, and Halo at least they're free on day one. I have PS+ and GPU. I'm getting way more value from MS at this point.

#1183 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4879 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

I agree with everything you said but I think this point is huge. My guess is that Playstation is focusing more on subscription services like PS+ and PS Now. I think they are great services, plus I'm behind on my backlog and don't have much time for gaming so PS+ works for me. But the subscription services don't work for everyone. 

I got the PS4 when the slim came out and I couldn't believe the great sales I was getting. Apparently Sony couldn't believe it either because those sales have dried up and gone away.  

Yeah I don't have much time to put into games and it always seems like a new one is out lately and picked up the slim like you did.  I miss all the sweet sales they used to do.  Hell I think it was just last year or so when they used to have occasional 20% off coupons in the emails or the video things after watching trailers.  I miss that.

#1184 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4879 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM

I think pretty much every gripe was from after the HQ moved to California. I could be wrong though.

Some but not all.  The sales, discount offers and ps plus offerings all happened a long while ago.  The only thing caused by the move so far that can be attributed is censorship possibly.  

[But since people don't understand what I mean by Sony games being all the same I'll spell it out: they used to put out Jak and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Twisted Metal, Legend of Dragoon, Syphon Filter, Dark Cloud, PaRappa, on and on]

yeah I certainly miss unique titles like those which haven't been done since the ps2 gen.  Sly cooper and ratchet and clank are the only ones I think are still going past the ps2 gen.  I was actually playing through dragoon for the first time recently.  Just made it to disc 3.  It's pretty fun despite how dated it is and the action commands are pretty rough due to input delay.  While not an exclusive series I would love for older style spyro and klonoa series to return.  Oh and jak and daxter 1.  More entries like that would definitely be a sale from me.

#1185 Dragonaxe3   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Dragonaxe3

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

I'm not comparing first party games between the two, I'm comparing companies. Sony has done very little lately other than continue with their successful model game structure and put out new consoles, while I see MS genuinely paving the way for GaaS. IDC that they have little to offer first party wise -- they're gaining my attention for the groundwork being laid here while putting their own games on it day one for free.

But since people don't understand what I mean by Sony games being all the same I'll spell it out: they used to put out Jak and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Twisted Metal, Legend of Dragoon, Syphon Filter, Dark Cloud, PaRappa, on and on.

What came out last year? Detroit, God of War, and Spider-man. This year? Days Gone. Next year? Last of Us II. I mean c'mon. . .Even though MS has nothing to offer but more Gears, Forza, and Halo at least they're free on day one. I have PS+ and GPU. I'm getting way more value from MS at this point.

You do know this isn’t going to last right? XBOX is scrambling to get people to come back and get in the good graces of people before the next gen comes out. They’re going to promise the world, like brand new games on game pass, next to free upgrades, and anything else they can so people will say that they’re switching over to Xbox. Then the Xbox turbo 1000 is going to release and people are going to buy it like they want and it’s all going to go away. Maybe some new games still, but most likely indie titles you’ve never heard of. Price is going to skyrocket on the subscription and most people will stay because they were riding it so hard now, and all the other things promised will go away as well. Sony did the same thing with ps4 and ps plus. Used to release amazing games. Now they’re number one, they’re all fine. The company that’s number 1 always stops trying while the one behind always promises the world. This is a cycle, happened last gen and the gen before.

Also you forgot death stranding and judgment. Judgment by the way is an amazing game.

#1186 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   520 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

Why choose to ignore other games? Like in your last year example you leave out Astro Bot why? Because it's VR I assume but that is not a good reason. PS VR has been a big push for Sony and they release a bunch of games for it every year. I mostly bring up Astro Bot though because it's one of the best reviewed games of last year, even beating out Spider-Man. Yet in your mind it either doesn't exist for some reason or is exactly the same type of game as Detroit which somehow makes less sense.

But really that is just one example. Sony has been going out of their way to put their fingers in a bunch of different pies this generation and it has been paying off. I could sit here and just list off a bunch of stuff but you can look at wikipedia yourself. That specific part of your argument ("ALL THE SAME DAMN GAME") is just objectively wrong, Sony has been putting out a wide variety of games this generation big and small. I mean Concrete Genie literally came out this very week, Medievil at the end of the month. Funny you didn't mention those for some reason. Or do they just not count because they aren't going to sell as much as Spider-Man?

#1187 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1280 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:56 PM

If anyone needs PS+, $39 subscription on Ebay

#1188 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1707 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:45 PM

You would rather have jet moto or twisted metal over what we get today? Lose the nostalgia

#1189 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

What came out last year? Detroit, God of War, and Spider-man.

What's weird is those are my favorite games of 2018 (along with Astro Bot and Moss). I guess I'm some kinda asshole.

I've never owned an Xbox so I can't compare the two. Sony offers the type of games I like (narrative-driven, third-person adventures), so I stick with them, even though the deals are worse than ever before and they no longer offer the type of perks that used to satiate me. With only three big companies to choose from (excluding PC-only), there's nowhere else for me to go.

#1190 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3192 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

Wall of text crits you for 500K

#1191 TheSupremeForce   Knight of the Word CAGiversary!   151 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

TheSupremeForce

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:04 AM

I can't even wrap my head around the claim that Detrois, God of War and Spider-Man are somehow the same game, so I'll skip trying to make anything out of the rest of that bizarre rant. 

#1192 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69220 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:28 AM

Rocket League's Haunted Hallows event this year is going to be pretty cool with the Stranger Things crossover:

It lasts from 10/14 to 11/11.

#1193 RiPPn  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

I can't even wrap my head around the claim that Detrois, God of War and Spider-Man are somehow the same game, so I'll skip trying to make anything out of the rest of that bizarre rant. 

My guess is he was trying to say they are taking less risks and making games that kind of fit into a similar mold.

But as I said above, I'll still be getting a PS5 simply because of those exclusive titles.  God of War and Astro Bot are probably my favorite games this generation and I need the sequels like yesterday.

I could definitely get on board with the "Microsoft is trying to become the loss leader" with their pricing and offerings and I'm happy to take advantage as long as they are doing so.  it is also going to be interesting to see how they price the Xbox Turbo 1000 vs the PS5 and see how far they are willing to go with that.  That said they are also really in touch with their audience right now, much like Sony was when they launched the PS4.  And Sony seems to be the complete opposite.  So much so that we don't even know who the face of PlayStation is right now.  Cerny?  Ryan?  Cerny is great but in no way can he generate hype.  And Ryan is my least favorite executive at any company right now sans Aaron Greenberg.  Next year is going to be crazy interesting.

#1194 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4685 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

Cross-play is literally from months of pressure. Not being able to play Fortnite with any other platform was a huge driving force. Stuff like Rocket League added to that. Sony simply caved.

PS Now wasn't doing great, and Google just launched their version. So it's most likely a response to that.

The 100 million consoles mean nothing. They dominated with the PS2 and lost most of it on the PS3. This transition is looking like the PS2 to PS3 transition. Censoring Japanese games in Japan because the HQ is now in California is asinine. And the lack of Vita support. Nintendo probably picked up a ton of people from the two, on top of the crossplay.

Company x did this! Yep. But then when Sony competes, we get language like they 'caved', or it was just a 'response' to this or that.

Ok? Isn't that the point? You're just trying to invalidate anything Sony does with negative words. It's all part of competition. All companies are making decisions to the best of their ability based on their interpretation of market position and events. Of course a competitor losing in the market will take more chances, or give slightly better deals. And of course the market leader will evaluate and respond. Nothing new here, and if you're using loaded words like 'cave', you're denying or underplaying the very competition that leads to better goods for the consumer in the first place.

#1195 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15233 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:17 PM

Yeah I don't have much time to put into games and it always seems like a new one is out lately and picked up the slim like you did. I miss all the sweet sales they used to do. Hell I think it was just last year or so when they used to have occasional 20% off coupons in the emails or the video things after watching trailers. I miss that.

I suspect you and I are true og cheap ass gamers. Like back in the day when you could get ALL the games for rock bottom prices if you had patience and didn't mind trading online 😁 Speaking of which, where my Goozex dollars at?

#1196 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9508 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

Goozex helped me play so many PS2 games when I didn't have much money in college. Got out before it went down though no wasted money. Only used it till around the PS2's end of life so I never saw it go down, but it was already kind of a bad marketplace at that point.

#1197 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4879 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

Affa Sony caved gave in relented and many other words there when it came to connectivity of servers for multiplat games with online multiplayer. They were not willing to play ball originally for whatever reason but eventually gave up for specific games like fortnite to my understanding.

#1198 4thHorseman   The New God CAGiversary!   2456 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

4thHorseman

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

It must be frustrating hating the output of a company when you have blinders on omitting games like Astro Bot, Gravity Rush 2, a number of PlayLink or VR games, Dreams, Concrete Genie, and more.

You know...just the same ole games.

#1199 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3568 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:53 PM

Company x did this! Yep. But then when Sony competes, we get language like they 'caved', or it was just a 'response' to this or that.

Ok? Isn't that the point? You're just trying to invalidate anything Sony does with negative words. It's all part of competition. All companies are making decisions to the best of their ability based on their interpretation of market position and events. Of course a competitor losing in the market will take more chances, or give slightly better deals. And of course the market leader will evaluate and respond. Nothing new here, and if you're using loaded words like 'cave', you're denying or underplaying the very competition that leads to better goods for the consumer in the first place.

I don't understand why you're using semantics to defend Sony policies when you say it's wrong for someone else to use semantics to describe Sony policies.

If Sony is acting negatively towards consumers by withholding things like cross-play, isn't a negative description of that warranted rather than simply saying they are 'competing?'  If Sony offers a game service (PS Now)  that is largely considered inferior compared to competitors and they make changes to improve it because their competitors were better and gaining market share and threatening their business, why wouldn't you describe that as a 'response?'

#1200 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14458 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

You would rather have jet moto or twisted metal over what we get today? Lose the nostalgia

I played those games for longer than I do any of the modern ones. That's not nostalgia, it's fact.