* * * - - 13 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 11/12: Double Discount Sale! $23.19 Romancing Saga 3, $3 Omega Strike, $17 Wattam Pre-order, & More!

#1621 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:20 PM

Disney’s control over copyright law scares me. Disney’s control over popular IPs scares me. Corporations pushing away from traditional media ownership scares me.

I mean, you guys do you, but to me, Disney+ honestly seems like very nearly the last thing consumers should be supporting right now.

Maybe this is the anarchist misanthropic nihilist in me, but I hope Apple TV+, Disney+, NBCUniversal+ (Peacock or whatever it's called) all fail and every other streaming service like Netflix, Hulu and Prime gets taken down in the process and the whole world fucking explodes.

#1622 biledriver   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1007 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

biledriver

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:38 PM

Hey Frisky,

Neverwinter Nights got pushed back to December 3rd I think. I tried to look for it on Switch today and nothing showed up, and sure enough, your link also goes to a deleted page. Guess something odd happened with the release.

#1623 krishna_malladi   You seem familiar, did I annoy you before? CAGiversary!   4170 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

krishna_malladi

Posted Yesterday, 12:12 AM

Maybe this is the anarchist misanthropic nihilist in me, but I hope Apple TV+, Disney+, NBCUniversal+ (Peacock or whatever it's called) all fail and every other streaming service like Netflix, Hulu and Prime gets taken down in the process and the whole world fucking explodes.

Hang in there brother, there will be a decent sale soon. Dont go cussing around like that...

#1624 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69308 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Yesterday, 02:01 AM

I'm streaming one of the more promising new releases this week in Sparklite (link).

Edit: Archive:

Really liking this game so far and I might stream it again on Thursday.

#1625 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1303 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 AM

Disney’s control over copyright law scares me. Disney’s control over popular IPs scares me. Corporations pushing away from traditional media ownership scares me.

I mean, you guys do you, but to me, Disney+ honestly seems like very nearly the last thing consumers should be supporting right now.

There's a recent interesting article about this.

It's Time to Break Up Disney

#1626 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14551 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:49 PM

There's a recent interesting article about this.

It's Time to Break Up Disney

I'm torn on this because while they are becoming a monopoly, they technically still have strong competition and are coming in at a lower price than them so I very much see them as being an aggressive competitor. Over the years, I've seen so many issues with being able to get complete collections because shit is just all over the place that having a solid, one stop shop for all my entertainment needs isn't exactly something that's harmful to me. How that affects economic growth is certainly TBD.

That and they're a far cry from the garbage that is Amazon. If anything, Disney is buying up competition to give them job security instead of putting them all out of business.

#1627 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4632 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 08:11 PM

I honestly don’t even care about Disney vis a vis usual monopoly concerns. What worries me is having something like 3/4 of the media that a majority of people are interested in consuming controlled by a single entity. That’s some ridiculous power, and Disney’s already adequately demonstrated that they can and do put pressure on government to change laws that don’t suit them (most notably copyright law). I’m not saying there’s some conspiracy by Disney to exercise that kind of power for evil, but a single corporation having the ability to influence both government decisions and the views of the public at large in tandem seems... I dunno, really freaky.

#1628 elessar123  

Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

They were already Disney + ABC + ESPN. Marvel and Star Wars gave them more content, not really more reach.

#1629 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4632 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:12 AM

They were already Disney + ABC + ESPN. Marvel and Star Wars gave them more content, not really more reach.

The Fox acquisition has gone forward, too. Between that, Marvel, and Star Wars, Disney now owns a large majority of successful American film franchises, and two of the four basic TV networks.

EDIT: My mistake, apparently there’s still an independent Fox Corp that manages the Fox TV Network. Disney still reportedly gained a controlling stake in Hulu in the Fox acquisition, though.

#1630 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:26 AM

I think the “a la carte” stream wars will eventually just become the same people willing to over pay for cable currently ...nothing more nothing less.

OG cord cutters wanted a la carte options (channel specific) at a reasonable price...not a bunch of different services and apps that hike the price up to “not worth it” and too much “management”

We still aren’t ready for “all digital” because of the pricing.

For example, if streaming hd rentals of new movies was the same price as redbox then redbox would become unnecessary and inconvenient for most people.

Currently, I have Amazon prime for my kids kindles, Netflix for my wife, and HBO free with my phone. PSPlus for my online play and and Nintendo Online for my cloud saves. OTA antenna for local channels and htpc/kodi if need be.

That’s already a bunch of yearly “service subscriptions” so the idea of more is overwhelming.

The dream was pay for what you want, but the reality is again paying for bundles.

Sorry for the vent...fine with the implosion if need be lol

#1631 itsmedave   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   146 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:45 AM

Not sure if this has been posted yet but Kingdom Hearts All in One for $32.99

https://store.playst...OLLECTION300000

#1632 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   967 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted Today, 01:37 AM

The streaming video services are monthly subscriptions. I'll subscribe to just one of them each month; hopping around between them depending on which content I want to catch up on. It's not possible for me to watch everything on three or four streaming services in a single month, so why subscribe to all of them? Just Netflix is a smorgasbord for me.

Which makes me think they'll eventually take steps to discourage hoppers. Things like discounted annual subscriptions, or no longer putting entire series of original shows up all at once. Putting original content into a vault for a set time sounds drastic, but I could see Disney doing that with some of their movies.