* * * - - 26 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 9/9: PlayStation VR/Essential Picks/Games Under $15 Sales!

#6721 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2802 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:25 PM

US consumer mentality is just ridiculous sometimes. There is NO reason everyone who bought the season pass should automatically be treated the same as people buying the Ultimate Edition now. Earlier adopters got exactly what they paid for, at the price they decided was acceptable to them, and have been able to enjoy the game for all this time. There is no further obligation implied.

Bethesda doing more with Doom Eternal is great goodwill, but it does not obligate any other company to bend over backwards and do the same.

What a time we live in. "High outrage" ( :roll:) should not be a reason for companies everywhere to give more and more shit away for free.

Giving the base game a free upgrade might make people continue to play it and want to buy the DLC. Locking the upgrade behind a full re-purchase of the game is going to turn away pretty much anyone who already gave them any money. It's not the same as people asking for a free remaster of a game that is many years old.

#6722 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3733 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:32 PM

Giving the base game a free upgrade might make people continue to play it and want to buy the DLC. Locking the upgrade behind a full re-purchase of the game is going to turn away pretty much anyone who already gave them any money. It's not the same as people asking for a free remaster of a game that is many years old.

Or retitling the Deluxe Edition as the Ultimate Edition and then locking content behind the name forcing you to repurchase the same content and game to get said content.  I mean I can't be the only one who thinks that is fucked up lol

#6723 Zantra  

Zantra

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:57 PM

True Cheap Ass Gamers wait a year or two after a game gets released with all of it's dlc, and that version is on sale, before they buy it.

#6724 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2745 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:42 AM

Or retitling the Deluxe Edition as the Ultimate Edition and then locking content behind the name forcing you to repurchase the same content and game to get said content. I mean I can't be the only one who thinks that is fucked up lol

"Forcing"

#6725 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3733 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:49 AM

"Forcing"

Correct

This is not that hard to understand why it’s fucked.

#6726 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70337 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:37 AM

As a current owner not sure why that sucks. When I bought Control over a year ago when it came out I didn't expect that buying it on PS4 entitled me to every version they release of it going forward.

There are quite a few games doing the free upgrades for those that have purchased it beforehand:

https://www.pushsqua...d-free-upgrades

Control's in the same camp as NBA 2K21 as far as requiring a separate bundle to lock in the upgrade.

#6727 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2745 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:46 AM

There are quite a few games doing the free upgrades for those that have purchased it beforehand:

https://www.pushsqua...d-free-upgrades

Control's in the same camp as NBA 2K21 as far as requiring a separate bundle to lock in the upgrade.

I never said there wasn't.

#6728 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70337 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:18 AM

I never said there wasn't.

Some of the games are old games getting free upgrades instead of requiring them to rebuy the game.

#6729 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70337 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:20 AM

https://blog.playsta...u-need-to-know/

Details on the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 Warehouse demo that's available to preload now and play on 8/14 at 8 AM PT/11 AM ET.

#6730 aircobra   Banned Banned   3802 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:26 AM

They really aren't comparable since one is a new release and the other requires you to re-buy the game. If you buy the  Kobe edition for X1/PS4, you get the SX/PS5 version. I'm not required to buy the game twice just to get the next-gen upgrades.

#6731 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70337 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:37 AM

They really aren't comparable since one is a new release and the other requires you to re-buy the game. If you buy the  Kobe edition for X1/PS4, you get the SX/PS5 version. I'm not required to buy the game twice just to get the next-gen upgrades.

It's a bundle of both versions, not an upgrade. You're buying the game twice for a bit cheaper than the standalone games.

https://store.playst...BA2K21DIGLEGEND

#6732 ProfessorStotch   Banned CAGiversary!   13760 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:03 AM

Yeah but if you buy Beyond Light on PS4 you get it on PS5 so who cares about anything else?

#6733 the_ENEMY_   Undead CAGiversary!   1289 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

the_ENEMY_

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:42 PM

im still ticked that i cant get dont starve bundle because i got the free dont starve on ps4 launch.

#6734 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2745 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:31 PM

Some of the games are old games getting free upgrades instead of requiring them to rebuy the game.

Sounds like you didn't read my post. I never said anything disputing that some games were getting free upgrades.

I said when I bought Control a year and a half ago I didn't buy it expecting I was going to get a free upgrade to a new system.

#6735 Tebunker   Shrugs at Clouds CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

Sounds like you didn't read my post. I never said anything disputing that some games were getting free upgrades.

I said when I bought Control a year and a half ago I didn't buy it expecting I was going to get a free upgrade to a new system.

I don't think anyone did, but a lot of people who bought it and the season's pass, look at the exact same thing being sold with a new label for less money, and are left wondering why they aren't getting the same benefits.

I mean it makes sense to ask why one is privileged group and one isn't, especially considering the former class, (og game + seasons pass), probably spent more on the game than the latter class will.

#6736 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3733 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:34 PM

I don't think anyone did, but a lot of people who bought it and the season's pass, look at the exact same thing being sold with a new label for less money, and are left wondering why they aren't getting the same benefits.

I mean it makes sense to ask why one is privileged group and one isn't, especially considering the former class, (og game + seasons pass), probably spent more on the game than the latter class will.

Bingo

Not to mention, they announce the AWE Expansion, then put the game + Season Pass on sale, so people bought it.  Then they announce a completely different edition that is needed to be bought for the next gen upgrade.  505 knew what they were doing lol.  You think all this shit was a coincidence?  

#6737 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70337 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:04 PM

I never said you did, but people were expecting that when Control was announced for the new consoles that they'd get free upgrades much like other older games have been getting and that's a reasonable expectation to have.

#6738 aircobra   Banned Banned   3802 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

It's a bundle of both versions, not an upgrade. You're buying the game twice for a bit cheaper than the standalone games.

https://store.playst...BA2K21DIGLEGEND

No, you're not. That's literally the same version they have every year. Look, I can post links to product pages too.

https://store.playst...ebae2dd231577a8

https://store.playst...id=se-pi-252365

In other words, it isn't a new version of the game they are putting out just for the next-gen upgrade. It's the same version they always put out but you're getting the next-gen version with it. Not comparable at all to Control.

#6739 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3728 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:01 PM

So you paid full price (or probably close to it) and you're ok with them excluding you from the upgrade when it would cost them nothing to provide it?

The work is already being done.  It's not like this is a remaster that everyone would have to buy again.  In the end, no one "deserves" the new version, but if they are going to do it for some, why not others?  Is it because you don't deserve that since you were an early adopter and bought it before other people?  It's just a bad look.  It would be like a manufacturer not giving firmware updates to early adopters and only giving it to newer purchasers.

#6740 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5136 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

Whenever discussions like this crop up around the turn of a new console generation I'm always so glad I'm not some gullible early adopter.

#6741 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70337 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

No, you're not. That's literally the same version they have every year. Look, I can post links to product pages too.

https://store.playst...ebae2dd231577a8

https://store.playst...id=se-pi-252365

In other words, it isn't a new version of the game they are putting out just for the next-gen upgrade. It's the same version they always put out but you're getting the next-gen version with it. Not comparable at all to Control.

Except that it specifically says on the page:

"Order the NBA 2K21 Mamba Forever Edition for PlayStation®4 and you will also receive NBA 2K21 and 100,000 Virtual Currency for PlayStation 5 upon release."

That's a cross-gen bundle like the one they're selling next month for Control instead of making the base game people own cross-gen. That's the whole point.

#6742 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   865 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:10 PM

cross-gen sucks altogether...everyone is worse off because of it...last gen owners, early adopters, and those who wait for the real next gen games

so does “as a service” and micro/macro transactions...

i’ll get off my own lawn now that i’m done ranting :(

#6743 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2144 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:11 PM

cross-gen sucks altogether...everyone is worse off because of it...last gen owners, early adopters, and those who wait for the real next gen games

so does “as a service” and micro/macro transactions...

i’ll get off my own lawn now that i’m done ranting :(

I dunno, it seems like it is going to make a much smoother transition to a next gen this time.  Sure we don't have the stark line of "wow" that clearly differentiates generations, but it does allow people to step up as it works for them without missing out on most games.  Besides the early games never really take real advantage of the hardware anyways.

#6744 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2745 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:13 PM

So you paid full price (or probably close to it) and you're ok with them excluding you from the upgrade when it would cost them nothing to provide it?

The work is already being done.  It's not like this is a remaster that everyone would have to buy again.  In the end, no one "deserves" the new version, but if they are going to do it for some, why not others?  Is it because you don't deserve that since you were an early adopter and bought it before other people?  It's just a bad look.  It would be like a manufacturer not giving firmware updates to early adopters and only giving it to newer purchasers.

Firmware updates are a lot different than a new version of a game on a future system and you know that. I bought the deluxe edition of Control at launch and the season pass. I bought it and played through it on the PS4 I don't need to be able to play it again on PS5. I don't care in the slightest about these updates and I don't care about backwards compatibility. I barely have enough time to play through all the current games I want to play so the chance that I'm going to replay through a game is very rare and usually reserved for my favorite Nintendo stuff.

#6745 BasilZero   Conqueror CAGiversary!   178 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

BasilZero

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

True Cheap Ass Gamers wait a year or two after a game gets released with all of it's dlc, and that version is on sale, before they buy it.

You got that right!

#6746 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15269 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

Whenever discussions like this crop up around the turn of a new console generation I'm always so glad I'm not some gullible early adopter.

After the PS5 drops I hope start selling PS4 game/dlc bundles for cheap. I will need to stock up because I always wait out for the slim playstation.

I also hope they still support PS+ for PS4. 

#6747 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1554 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

After the PS5 drops I hope start selling PS4 game/dlc bundles for cheap. I will need to stock up because I always wait out for the slim playstation.

I also hope they still support PS+ for PS4. 

You might be waiting a while for reasons I described here.  But waiting long enough usually produces a price drop of some kind.

#6748 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3733 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

FYI

If you got Zombie Driver for PS3 from PS+, or purchased it, the PS4 upgrade is 100% free:

https://store.playst...035241793505542

#6749 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1239 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:58 PM

FYI

If you got Zombie Driver for PS3 from PS+, or purchased it, the PS4 upgrade is 100% free:

https://store.playst...035241793505542

Remedy and 505 Games could learn a lesson from these guys.

#6750 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3733 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:06 PM

Remedy and 505 Games could learn a lesson from these guys.

No shit