1TB Game Drive(NVMe) for Xbox Series X/S w/ $25 Shutterfly giftcard: $219.99 at Best Buy

Thanks for posting. Bummer that it’s so expensive. I hope it’s worth it.
Was gonna say that for those who aren't aware, you can still just use any external HDD on the Series S/X for storage. You just can't run Series S/X games from the external (You'll have to copy games over to the internal SSD to play them). A much cheaper solution if you don't mind the occasional need to copy and move things.

Was gonna say that for those who aren't aware, you can still just use any external HDD on the Series S/X for storage. You just can't run Series S/X games from the external (You'll have to copy games over to the internal SSD to play them). A much cheaper solution if you don't mind the occasional need to copy and move things.
Yeah that's definitely a big help as I have plenty of space on my current HDD. I'll still probably need one of these sooner than later but it's nice that it buys some time.

This is too expensive considering it is mandatory since it's the only option. It's the same as the PSVita with the expensive memory. I understand that the SX has rigid standards for its memory, but I don't know how many people can justify spending so much on this. I was expecting it to be around 100.

This is too expensive considering it is mandatory since it's the only option. It's the same as the PSVita with the expensive memory. I understand that the SX has rigid standards for its memory, but I don't know how many people can justify spending so much on this. I was expecting it to be around 100.
Considering that a 1tb nvme m.2 is $230 MSRP at best buy ( although you can usually find them for $150) its not that crazy. Yes its expensive but its not like the proprietary vita storage that was priced way higher than the market average for comparable storage options.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

This is too expensive but it is not mandatory. Both versions of the Xbox come with hard drives in them, both let you store games you are not using on a cheaper external.

I’d buy one when they eventually go on sale from somewhere like amazon or bestbuy where I’ll have amassed some reward points to knock that price down even lower.

What are people using now? External usb ssd drives? I should really put one in my X. I should have some extras laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the SX SSD proprietary in some way, like the Xbox 360 was? If yes, that sucks. 

I think Sony said PS5 can use off the shelf SSDs but they it's the most recent type which aren't even available and likely won't be a cheap for a while. 

Went back to a proprietary drive, that sucks.  One of my biggest complaints from the 360 was proprietary drives, the biggest of course being the RROD.  With that and the lack of first party games probably be the first MS console I skip, since I can play Forza Horizon on PC.

But you can just use an external HD for cheaper and plug it in via USB like the Xbox One, right?
Not to play Series X/S games, there is word you can play older XB1 games like that though. You have to transfer Series games to the SSD to run them, but you can use it for storage. Same with the PS5 I believe (though not sure if PS4 games will work from external).

I Was going to straight up pass on buying one, but then I saw it came with Shutterfly money and my mind was changed and I bought five!

I Was going to straight up pass on buying one, but then I saw it came with Shutterfly money and my mind was changed and I bought five!
I was looking to spend $219.99 on $25 of shutterfly money and couldn't believe they're throwing in this 1 TB NVME for free!

Thanks OP!     I got my preorder in to expand my xbox series x, aka XSX by 1tb to make it a 2TB monster!    lol.   

the PS5 expansion is hilarious; sony will only allow "certified" NVME ssd cards to run in the system, so they have to be pcie gen 4 and all that.     oh well.       pcie gen 3 NVMEs would do just as fine; even if it is slower than the PS5 internal.  

I'll gladly pass. I mostly just plan to use the Xbone Serious for playing whatever GamePass PC games I happen to be playing at the moment on the rare occasion that I'm able to game in the living room (where my Serious Xbone will be housed). I doubt I'll ever have more than a handful of games on it.

I know this sounds ridiculous but I think I would just as soon buy a Xbox series S (in addition to the series X) for additional storage before spending $220 on an additional hard drive.

200+ bones is crazy. Glad my ps5 will have a non proprietary expansion. None the less still want the series X once more games come out. Still love me some Xbox.

Not to play Series X/S games, there is word you can play older XB1 games like that though. You have to transfer Series games to the SSD to run them, but you can use it for storage. Same with the PS5 I believe (though not sure if PS4 games will work from external).
During the Cerny GDC talk it was said that you can use an external drive for PS4 games.

I like how microsoft went "buying SSDs will be confusing for the consumer so we'll only allow a proprietary drive to work" but also went "let's release 2 new similarly named SKUs, both to each other and the previous generation of systems".

The fact that I can buy a drive as fast as the PS5s SSD for less than this is obnoxious.

Not sure about Xbox but PS5 will have extra slots for SSD drives at least. Not that they're cheap.
Prices will come down fast as this new generation of ssd becomes normal. I think the one in the ps5 is 5.5 gigs per sec, next year or so 7.5+ will be the norm on pc. Ultimately the ps5 is going to use a standard ssd without a heat sink. More so need a drive that can fit in the slot, can hit 5.5 gps, and not overheat. Nothing can hit those speeds without a heat sink atm with the ps5’s memory controller. Still will be able to buy way more than 1 tb and way less than what ms will charge per gig.

I like how microsoft went "buying SSDs will be confusing for the consumer so we'll only allow a proprietary drive to work" but also went "let's release 2 new similarly named SKUs, both to each other and the previous generation of systems".

The fact that I can buy a drive as fast as the PS5s SSD for less than this is obnoxious.
Agree with both comments. Also the series S is a horrible value when compared to series X and ps5 digital version. Would rather spend 100 more on a ps5 digital or 200 more on a series X when taking into consideration how expensive the memory upgrades are. You’re honestly getting a better deal on the X vs the S.

Yeah but not ps5 games :( would mean you would need to constantly be doing data management.
Right. One of the main benefits PS5 offers (beyond more powerful graphics) is the loading. Both PS5 and XBS focus on this upgrade. Loading times got way out of hand last generation. True next gen Games are being designed around have much faster access to stored data.

The hot-swapability of this is one major benefit over Sony's solution. You will be able to pop it out and use it on an X/S in another room or a friends house. Sony hasn't said how theirs works but pics of the console prove that you will likely have to turn it off and open up a panel to add or remove memory. The same way it works on the PS4 right now.

one mistake ps5/xsx has made is going with NVME ssd.    Its great they leapfrogged from HDD to NVME ssd; but I think hindsight it would have been better if they both did sata SSD, and took that extra $$ from NVME implementation and put it towards the CPU/GPU soc chip, or system RAM.   

I say this because then they could have had SKU launch machines as SSD with 1TB, 2TB, or even 4TB models priced accordingly and put money where matters more for games, CPU/GPU vs. the PCIE bandwidth.   (& designed w/SSD user upgradeability)   Don't get me wrong, PCIE data transfer is fast; but they could have saved the NVME system implementation for the eventual PS5 Pro / Xbox Series XX.   

= )     my two cents

They hand out those Shutterfly codes like candy... I got one when I bought a $5 smartphone tripod mount the other month. If you use the 'gift card', then you can't take advantage of other promotions, which means that you have to pay the MSRP plus a good amount for shipping; if you play your cards right, you'll at best save a few dollars compared to the regular promos that they run nearly every day.

one mistake ps5/xsx has made is going with NVME ssd. Its great they leapfrogged from HDD to NVME ssd; but I think hindsight it would have been better if they both did sata SSD, and took that extra $$ from NVME implementation and put it towards the CPU/GPU soc chip, or system RAM.

I say this because then they could have had SKU launch machines as SSD with 1TB, 2TB, or even 4TB models priced accordingly and put money where matters more for games, CPU/GPU vs. the PCIE bandwidth. (& designed w/SSD user upgradeability) Don't get me wrong, PCIE data transfer is fast; but they could have saved the NVME system implementation for the eventual PS5 Pro / Xbox Series XX.

= ) my two cents
The speed difference from a Sata SSD to NVME is enough to me that it is a good decision to include it. Normal SSDs are already seeing there limitations with 4k textures. 500MB/s vs 2.4GB/s is a pretty big jump. PC NVME's are already hitting much higher than 2.4GB. I think once costs go down of the NVME it will probably be cheaper to manufacture into the consoles then having a actual SATA drive in there. NVME can be intergrated to the Motherboard, while Sata drives require a seperate case, power, cable, and plugs.

NVME can be intergrated to the Motherboard, while Sata drives require a seperate case, power, cable, and plugs.
So, a pci-e 4.0 ssd (what you're calling nvme) is an interface. M.2 is the form factor (size). Plenty of sata ssd's are manufactured in m.2 form factor - I own a few.

Anyway I'm fine with the consoles going to pci-e 4.0 ssd's. Not fine with the propietary expansion cards from MS/seagate.

The big oversight with console manufacturing was skipping sata ssd entirely and not putting sata ssd's in the x1x and ps4 pro generation of console revisions. Huge mistake.

one mistake ps5/xsx has made is going with NVME ssd. Its great they leapfrogged from HDD to NVME ssd; but I think hindsight it would have been better if they both did sata SSD, and took that extra $$ from NVME implementation and put it towards the CPU/GPU soc chip, or system RAM.

I say this because then they could have had SKU launch machines as SSD with 1TB, 2TB, or even 4TB models priced accordingly and put money where matters more for games, CPU/GPU vs. the PCIE bandwidth. (& designed w/SSD user upgradeability) Don't get me wrong, PCIE data transfer is fast; but they could have saved the NVME system implementation for the eventual PS5 Pro / Xbox Series XX.

= ) my two cents
These consoles will be sold for 7-10 yrs. don’t blame them for future proofing.

It's pricey but not insane, and 1TB internal is probably the only way they could hit a $499 price point. Would I have liked a $599 /2TB option? Yeah but this is acceptable, especially with an old external spinning drive for older games. I mean, I paid $599 I think for my day 1 Xbox one, with an expensive  Kinect that went in the garbage almost immediately... I feel good about spending $499 for this.

NVME speeds aside, I would have opted for:   2TB sata SSD launch models, and the extra money put to CPU/GPU soc and system RAM; and then include a 4TB SSD higher priced model.     then introduce NVME with the PS5Pro and SeriesXX.       I am tired of all these 1TB system SKU models; and the answer is, expand it yourself or with accessory add ons, usb, internal/external, etc.

This is too expensive but it is not mandatory. Both versions of the Xbox come with hard drives in them, both let you store games you are not using on a cheaper external.
also they've said other manufacturers will be able to make them, they'll just have to match the same performance

Are the games the same size as current gen?
Side thought: I feel like I should just go back to my original plan of hoping for another Target glitch down the line. Just worried the x1x trade will be way lower by the time the series x is/glitches cheaper.

Proprietary memory cards were what killed the Vita. I still use my OLED Vita from time to time. What a great gaming system!

To be fair, there's no way that you could have thought that the latest, ultrafast 1TB NVME drive is only $100. $220 is more than fair.

I will wait as I feel they will have 2TB and maybe even 4TB options down the road.
Same. I just don't think it will happen for at least a couple years. I have it pre-ordered but I am not sure I will end up keeping it. I want to see how game size is handled, as I think the better compression will help. Plus I usually only play a few games at a time, so I won't need a bunch installed to the internal.

Are the games the same size as current gen?
Side thought: I feel like I should just go back to my original plan of hoping for another Target glitch down the line. Just worried the x1x trade will be way lower by the time the series x is/glitches cheaper.
They announced a few games for PS5 sizes, and they range from like 60 gb to 100 or slightly bigger. So I would say they are probably going to be bigger than PS4/Xb1 but not like double the size. I'm sure some games will hit 200 gb eventually though. There was a Call of Duty on PS4/Xb1 that was like 175 gb with all updates. You could fill up the internal with only 10-15 games probably depending on their sizes.

Because these are so expensive i preorder the XSX mainly for the disk drive & extra HDD space. Initially i will still play my X1S for Destiny 2, Fallout, F13, & Doom Eternal (starting this Friday) and then save my XSX for games that have the graphical updates like HALO or 4k UHD movies. Once i need more HDD hopefully this SSD will be cheaper!

$220 for 1tb sdd is too much for me.  I'll probably get a portable 5tb hdd for $100 just to store the games I'm not playing that often.  Anybody have an idea how long it would take to transfer 100gb game to an external hdd?

Same with the PS5 I believe (though not sure if PS4 games will work from external).
From what I've read, you can't use any HDD as PS5 storage. External HDDs will be for PS4 games only, you will need an expensive certified (list coming soon) SSD for PS5 games.

As much as people are complaining about the price of the XS storage, they're gonna be in for a shock when they realize PS5 SSDs will be just as costly but without the ability to use your existing HDD for storage... I think MS is doing things better here.

And the people bringing up the Vita clearly forgot that the Vita didn't come with any built-in storage (not til later redesigns) and therefore a memory card was a mandatory purchase -- and those cards cost like 3 times the amount of comparable Micro SDs.

bread's done
Back