* * * * - 13 votes

Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

#7801 samnite   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   307 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2022 - 05:23 PM

I finally got a PS5 from Amazon, it arrives on Sunday. This is my first Playstation console ever. I never had a PS3 or PS4, but I’ve had Switch, PC and Xbox. What are my must plays? I have Gamepass on Xbox so I probably won’t get the PS+ equivalent one, I’m mostly looking to play first party stuff like Spider Man and Horizon.

Play Astro's Playroom to get a feel for the Dualsense controller's features. It is probably not going to resonate as much for you though if you have no nostalgia for previous Playstation devices as a lot of the collecibles are old Playstation devices (PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4,VITA,PSP,etc). It is a good platformer/puzzler in the vein of a Nintendo Mario game though.

After that, just look through the Playstation Collection and figure out what genre of exclusives interests you. I personally enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted series, God of War series, Last of Us games, Spiderman, Detroit Become Human and Until Dawn. Some of those are also now on PC though. There are other exclusives I intend to play but haven't yet like Bloodborne, Days Gone, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima.

#7802 FriskyTanuki   LGBT Rights & Women's Rights are Human Rights CAGiversary!   72231 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:03 AM

#7803 TTAZ  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:27 AM

By purchasing the ps4 hard copy of FF7 and getting the free ps5 upgrade, is the only thing I’m missing out on that dlc that is sold separately as well?

#7804 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1292 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:36 AM

By purchasing the ps4 hard copy of FF7 and getting the free ps5 upgrade, is the only thing I’m missing out on that dlc that is sold separately as well?

I believe so. But this also just reminded me I was never able to redeem the upgrade in July due to the previous ps plus issue. Now gotta decide if it's worth the frustration of calling support.

#7805 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   646 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 06:11 AM

The PS5 I got was the bundle with Horizon 2 Forbidden West, so I will have that, I also have been claiming the free games they were giving away in the past, so I have the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, Ratchet and Clank, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

That’s the bundle I got too. Play through Horizon before you start Forbidden West. If you have PS+ Essential, then play through the instant game catalog that shows up once you log into the store through your PS5. There’s a bunch of games from PS4 that are free to you. Give God of War, Days Gone, Ratchet and Clank (ps4 version), and Monster Hunter a whirl. Between all that you have available, you don’t necessarily need to buy a game for quite a while, especially if you’ve been stocking PS+ games too. Unfortunately, you can’t really install all that much with the ps5 hd. I’ve just been dumping a lot of time into Astros Playroom with my kids.

#7806 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1587 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:28 PM

NVM

#7807 flooderdooden  

flooderdooden

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:18 AM

FYI, Dollar General has a PSN credit deal this week. Save $6 instantly when purchasing two $25 gift cards. Granted, the discount only amounts to 12% off, but probably about the best you’ll find this point in the season (at least until the 15-20% off around Black Friday, which has happened at DG the last few years). The ad mentions one discount per customer, but I’m guessing those wanting to capitalize on the deal multiple times can simply run separate transactions without issue.

Might come in handy for some with day one digital purchases as we get to the September/October release window. PSN wallet can now hold up to $250 at one time. Pic included for reference.

5DF5A93C-5FDA-46DE-9CB4-DB1A75FD83C6.jpeg

#7808 300mirrors  

300mirrors

Posted 07 August 2022 - 03:29 PM

I finally got a PS5 from Amazon, it arrives on Sunday. This is my first Playstation console ever. I never had a PS3 or PS4, but I’ve had Switch, PC and Xbox. What are my must plays? I have Gamepass on Xbox so I probably won’t get the PS+ equivalent one, I’m mostly looking to play first party stuff like Spider Man and Horizon.

Haven't played a ton of Sony-exclusive stuff but I would absolutely recommend playing Persona 5 Royal when it hits Game Pass.

#7809 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   5037 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2022 - 01:56 AM

My PS5 arrived, I have zero friends on PlayStation so far, DonkenRG if anyone wants to add me. We have been playing Astros Playground, my kids are loving it. I’m installing both Horizons and Ratchet and Clank.

#7810 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1437 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:07 AM

I don’t know if God of War is part of the PS5 free games collection but that’s my recommendation.

#7811 FriskyTanuki   LGBT Rights & Women's Rights are Human Rights CAGiversary!   72231 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:14 AM

Tekken 8 teaser: 

#7812 FriskyTanuki   LGBT Rights & Women's Rights are Human Rights CAGiversary!   72231 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 08 August 2022 - 04:37 AM

#7813 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1437 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2022 - 06:58 AM

I saw a pic of a bunch of PS4 Pros stacked on pallets with some PS3's on top for EVO.  Imagine them trying to do that with the current PS5 design.

#7814 blueArcana   Congratulations CAGiversary!   1282 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

blueArcana

Posted 08 August 2022 - 05:51 PM

giphy.gif

#7815 ryanwm1  

Posted 08 August 2022 - 06:47 PM

I love PlayStation exclusives, but when I didn’t get a PS5 at launch I simply decided I’d either wait for a design refresh or for a killer title that I just couldn’t wait for. I put in for invitations at multiple places a while back, and got nothing. With GoW coming shortly I was actually feeling a bit bummed out that I was out of luck. I got an Amazon invitation today, and the console should be here tomorrow. I can still sell my OG PS4 for nearly $200 in the current market, and I’m satisfied even though I think there will likely be some amazing redesign or bundle around the corner. Excited to play PlayStation again for the first time in basically 2 years. A decent amount to catch up on.

#7816 FriskyTanuki   LGBT Rights & Women's Rights are Human Rights CAGiversary!   72231 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:09 PM

#7817 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   5037 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:27 PM

I love PlayStation exclusives, but when I didn’t get a PS5 at launch I simply decided I’d either wait for a design refresh or for a killer title that I just couldn’t wait for. I put in for invitations at multiple places a while back, and got nothing. With GoW coming shortly I was actually feeling a bit bummed out that I was out of luck. I got an Amazon invitation today, and the console should be here tomorrow. I can still sell my OG PS4 for nearly $200 in the current market, and I’m satisfied even though I think there will likely be some amazing redesign or bundle around the corner. Excited to play PlayStation again for the first time in basically 2 years. A decent amount to catch up on.

Nice! That Amazon invite thing is great once you get the email.

#7818 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   4407 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:36 PM

See you in 2023 lol

#7819 FriskyTanuki   LGBT Rights & Women's Rights are Human Rights CAGiversary!   72231 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:34 PM

#7820 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11223 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Marvel's Midnight Suns was also releasing at a terrible time IMHO, with direct competition from Diofield Chronicles in a somewhat similar genre, though who knows how good it will be. I will purchase Midnight Suns whenever it releases.

#7821 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15322 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Marvel's Midnight Suns was also releasing at a terrible time IMHO, with direct competition from Diofield Chronicles in a somewhat similar genre, though who knows how good it will be. I will purchase Midnight Suns whenever it releases.

I lost a ton of interest when I heard it was card based. Cause you know what that means, microtransactions! Oh well, I'm actually replaying XCOM 2 on WOTC mode right now. Don't really need a new game. 

#7822 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   5037 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Do PlayStation digital sales reset at a certain day/time each week? Like on Xbox it’s Mondays at 5pm/4pm PST depending on daylight savings. Just wondering if there is a certain time to check for sales on PlayStation.

#7823 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38663 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:30 PM

Do PlayStation digital sales reset at a certain day/time each week? Like on Xbox it’s Mondays at 5pm/4pm PST depending on daylight savings. Just wondering if there is a certain time to check for sales on PlayStation.

3am EST / 12am PST on Wednesdays.

#7824 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11223 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

I lost a ton of interest when I heard it was card based. Cause you know what that means, microtransactions! Oh well, I'm actually replaying XCOM 2 on WOTC mode right now. Don't really need a new game. 

Actually the costumes are where the microtransactions are it. Seem like a bit of money to get them.