- - - - -

Nvidia/AMD GPU Re-stock Thread

#1 SlaughterX   Teh Killer CAGiversary!   1495 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:24 AM

I honestly don't want to manage this thread...  but I do think this forum would benefit from a thread that keeps people up to date on GPU restocks like the PS5 and Series X threads (but hopefully with less bickering).

Anyway I finally just received my RTX 3070, which I had to buy a whole prebuild HP OMEN 25L just to get.  Took almost 2 months but it finally got here today and the first thing I did was take out out of the OMEN and threw it in my custom build, which is a few years old, but still has a better CPU than the Ryzen 5 3500 that came with it.

It seems like the best way of scoring a card these days is through a prebuilt computer.  Right now it doesn't appear that HP has anything better than the 3060ti, which is still a pretty damn good card for the money.

#2 Nelson2011   Huh?! CAGiversary!   421 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Nelson2011

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:28 AM

Oh boy this is going to be fun lol.

#3 Komentra   (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ CAGiversary!   2999 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:40 AM

Oh no.

#4 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15257 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:15 AM

Over 90% of the people here are filthy console plebs arguing over whose underpowered brick has the better 60fps resolution. They don't care about vastly superior personal computers, or how there's so much more a computer is capable of, or how their consoles are becoming nothing more than facsimiles of budget Windows desktops.

Also, keep in mind that us PC gamers are usually older with good-paying jobs and can afford more expensive products. Good attempt, though.

#5 SlaughterX   Teh Killer CAGiversary!   1495 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:00 AM

Lol...  could it be possible that you can be a PC and a console gamer at the same damn time?   I have been doing both for over two decades.  Get over yourself with that elitist attitude, as it has nothing to do with this thread.

#6 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   7048 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:14 AM

I know Newegg has been doing a lottery lately. I need a new PC and I might have to go the pre built route with the way how things are going.

#7 masksacrafice  

masksacrafice

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:25 AM

I know Newegg has been doing a lottery lately. I need a new PC and I might have to go the pre built route with the way how things are going.

Sadly that is what I had to do.

#8 segasaturnsnk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

segasaturnsnk

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:28 PM

Over 90% of the people here are filthy console plebs arguing over whose underpowered brick has the better 60fps resolution. They don't care about vastly superior personal computers, or how there's so much more a computer is capable of, or how their consoles are becoming nothing more than facsimiles of budget Windows desktops.

Also, keep in mind that us PC gamers are usually older with good-paying jobs and can afford more expensive products. Good attempt, though.

LMAO!  Totally true.  I own a PS5 and I don't even care what console does better because at the end of the day, it'll never compete with PC and sadly will always be outdated.  I always call my PS5 the Sweet Potato.  Would of been much happier snagging a 3080 than a PS5 back last year but end up getting lucky with the 5.  It's the only thing that's keeping me somewhat content while I still try and get a 3080.

I've been doing the Newegg lottery BS too and I'm never selected.  It's really annoying and if I can't snag a 3080 alone without a BS bundle, I guess my best luck is to get a 3080 TI at launch at the garbage broken Best Buy site.  If not, lottery it is.

#9 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   894 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:39 PM

I’ve been trying to get an entry level 3060 for months. Refuse to overpay. This has been much harder than getting a ps5.

#10 Sielanas  

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:09 PM

Thank you, I've been wanting an AMD card and I refuse to pay scalpers. I've had chances at consoles and have a Series X, GPUs are the unicorns.

#11 Bobby777  

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:12 AM

Finally someone has started a thread for the new GPU's since they are even harder to get than the consoles. I was wondering why there wasn't already a thread for GPU's but yet we have the console restock thread hogging up the front page.

#12 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:55 AM

If your job was so awesome with that good pay, you would be able to afford a great PC and both of the consoles, then you wouldn't have to choose and act like an arrogant prick.  You aren't acting "older", you are just acting like another fanboy.  People that treat it like an either/or usually are that way because they don't have the option and just want everyone to reinforce their opinion that they have "the best option".

I have a nice PC and play games on it, but I also enjoy kicking back with the PS5 and Series X on the big screen.  There is nothing wrong with people that prefer any of the three until they decide to talk crap to people that prefer a different option.

#13 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21395 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:44 PM

Dude's just get a Dell. I recently ordered an Alienware R10 with the Ryzen 5600X and a 6800 XT for $1545 before tax. You can't beat that, even with the crappy 8GB RAM (just upgrade on your own), 1TB HDD (again upgrade on your own).  The 6800 XT by itself is going for like $1300 to $1500 on Newegg - non-scalper prices and it jumps even more when they force you to buy a bundle with other crap.  The 3060TI version of the same build was $1250 so not bad either considering the 5600X is $300 and if you were the luckiest boy or girl in the world you could get the 3060 TI for $400 reference from Best Buy.  Even when supply comes back next year, everyone is going to be in for a big surprise because the "MSRP" for these cards is a thing of the past.  I sprung the extra $300 for the 6800 XT because it is a significantly better card and also came with a 1000W PSU and liquid cooling.  Yeah yeah yeah, proprietary parts, bla bla bla.  Alienware has done a lot to make their prebuilts upgradable so I plan to keep this things until the wheels fall off.  Also, pro-tip, if you haven't been taking Alienware Arena seriously, you can level up there and you get free Dell Rewards every 5 levels and they increase as you level up. I had $75 in Dell Rewards from Alienware Arena so that certainly helped push me over the edge.

Good luck superior PC bros.  Good luck as well to the inferior console bros as I know it's also a PITA to try to get a PS5 or XBS1XXL.  I recently got my first - PS4 - bought it off a friend.  Enjoying Days Gone (now on PC) and MLB The Show (now on XBS1XXL).

#14 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:59 PM

I am in the market for BOTH a PS5 and RTX 3080 (or w/e is suitable by the time there's stock lol). I'm always conflicted where I fall in the debate of platform exclusives, but as reality dictates, I need consoles for my exclusives. They also have features PC does not offer - namely, portability, proprietary SSD tech, proprietary controllers with premium and exclusive functionality, easier access to VR, and not having to bother with drivers/compatibility issues).

The tragedy is in refusing to acknowledge that both camps have their pros and cons in order to protect an ego.

#15 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:01 PM

Do you have data to back that up, or is this an anecdotally based assumption? If the latter, I have anecdotes up the wazoo that counter yours.

#16 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1326 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:45 PM

Dude's just get a Dell. I recently ordered an Alienware R10 with the Ryzen 5600X and a 6800 XT for $1545 before tax. You can't beat that, even with the crappy 8GB RAM (just upgrade on your own), 1TB HDD (again upgrade on your own).  The 6800 XT by itself is going for like $1300 to $1500 on Newegg - non-scalper prices and it jumps even more when they force you to buy a bundle with other crap.  The 3060TI version of the same build was $1250 so not bad either considering the 5600X is $300 and if you were the luckiest boy or girl in the world you could get the 3060 TI for $400 reference from Best Buy.  Even when supply comes back next year, everyone is going to be in for a big surprise because the "MSRP" for these cards is a thing of the past.  I sprung the extra $300 for the 6800 XT because it is a significantly better card and also came with a 1000W PSU and liquid cooling.  Yeah yeah yeah, proprietary parts, bla bla bla.  Alienware has done a lot to make their prebuilts upgradable so I plan to keep this things until the wheels fall off.  Also, pro-tip, if you haven't been taking Alienware Arena seriously, you can level up there and you get free Dell Rewards every 5 levels and they increase as you level up. I had $75 in Dell Rewards from Alienware Arena so that certainly helped push me over the edge.

Good luck superior PC bros.  Good luck as well to the inferior console bros as I know it's also a PITA to try to get a PS5 or XBS1XXL.  I recently got my first - PS4 - bought it off a friend.  Enjoying Days Gone (now on PC) and MLB The Show (now on XBS1XXL).

I did this myself. I went with the Ryzen 7 5800 and I did upgrade the HDD to a 1TB SSD just to avoid having to reinstall windows myself. Cheaper if you do exactly as posted and probably one of the best deals you can get. They seem to be charging a bit for the Nvidia GPU's, but I wanted AMD anyway and their price for a Zen 3 + 6800XT is hard to beat.

The one caveat may be that I don't think the Dell motherboard's chipset is new enough to take advantage of Smart Access Memory, but still.

It said it was going to take a couple of months to ship, but it took a week and then it was shipped with overnight via FedEx.

Make sure you don't accidentally subscribe to the monthly warranty on the checkout though.

And I still use my Switch, Series X, and PS5. They're all good systems in their own ways, chill out everyone.

Edit: Also it was pretty hard to find much information about the OEM only non 'X' variants of the Ryzen chips online (ie, 5800 vs 5800X). But from my own benchmarking it seems like they're within 2-3%. They have a lower base clock to give it a lower TDP on paper, but the boost clock is only 100 MHz shy of the X variant (here's your 2%) and it spends most of its time boosting anyway. You can overclock them and probably make them basically identical, but I haven't done that myself yet.

Edit 2: Also make sure you sign up for Dell rewards, I got $75 in rewards off my purchase and now I can get an Xbox gift card or yeti mic if I want. My Chase card also had a 10% cash back off (capped to $100) on Dell purchases, so I got $100 there too.

#17 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   4019 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

Not sure how beneficial this thread will be, given how fast stock moves. Like even in live chat like in discord or twitch streams, it can be gone within a couple seconds...

#18 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1448 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:05 PM

Not sure how beneficial this thread will be, given how fast stock moves. Like even in live chat like in discord or twitch streams, it can be gone within a couple seconds...

This thread is destined to be the place where people complain about missing out on drops while others with cards stoke the fires of frustration.

#19 segasonic128   Segasonic CAGiversary!   599 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

segasonic128

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:23 PM

so best buy had a small restock of 3080,3090, 3070 sometime last week; but it went fast; like within 5 minutes.     bummer these bots out there.   I'll post if anything hits.    I'm looking for the 3080; but within a month we'll be wanting the 3080ti anyway!     so yeah, 3080 ti !

yeah, the xbx1sXXL.      The PS5=  PS4Pro+ or PS4SuperPro lol.   Give me a PS5Pro already.       The XboxSeriesX is like:  XboxOneXX or XboxOneXXL or XboxOneX Super or XboxOneX Pro.        Nintendo Switch 2; or Nintendo Switch Pro; or The "NEW" Nintendo Switch.    lol.    Nintendo Switch Pro+.      Super Nintendo Switch.    haha

#20 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3832 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to track down a 3080 for a while now, but keep coming up empty.  

Will just have to keep limping along with my 1070 until the stock situation improves. 

#21 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   4019 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:07 PM

Best advice I can give is set up discord alerts for ATR Stonks and Falcodrin channel. Don't bother with now in stock discord or alerts. Don't bother with the "notify me" buttons on a website (as you'll never likely receive a response, or if you do it will be extremely delayed and the time with be out if stock).

Best Buy - Be ready when they drop, likely next Thursday or Friday. They dropped last week, like somebody said above, and typically drop every other week.

Newegg - Enter the Newegg shuffle every day. You may not want the accessory that is bundled with the graphics card, but tough luck.

Zotac Store - Likely your best bet of getting a 3000 series graphics card. They drop randomly throughout the day, and it's not really easy to guess when. They drop about 3 times a week. They have a queue system similar to PS Direct, and you are assigned a random place in line. Use as many browsers as possible, to get a low place in queue.

Walmart/Amazon - Don't bother with them.

EVGA - Be ready at 6am the day a new GPU releases (i.e. RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3070 Ti), on EVGA's website for RTX 3000 series cards. They have a queue set up, that is not random unlike Zotac Store. First come first serve. Click the "Notify" button as soon as 6am roll around, the day of expected launch, and fill out your cont and cf info. MAKE SURR YOU GAVE AN EVGA ACCOUNT BEFORE DOING THIS.

Otherwise, it's pretty much now all down to luck.

#22 danishmaggot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5831 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

danishmaggot

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:46 AM

I find it hard to believe that if you are such a big shoot as you claim to be, you wouldn't be in here trying to talk down to the console "plebs".

Good try, though.

#23 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4416 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

And yet another forum where a "PC master race" specimen rears its ugly head.

#24 sjchmura   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   136 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

sjchmura

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:49 PM

So is the Alienware best way to go? They have amd and 3080

I hear the fan is loud - no specs on SSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:21 PM

If you aren’t camping out at Microcenter do you even really want a new GPU?

#26 SlaughterX   Teh Killer CAGiversary!   1495 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:53 PM

Nothing I want bad enough to play Homeless Simulator 2021

#27 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11568 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:04 PM

My work computer was crapping out so I just ended up getting a pre-built with a 3090 from Microcenter as after about 2-3 months of searching I had no luck and nothing was improving.

Definitely not the move for everyone, but I'd still be sure to say check Microcenter frequently if you live near one. Probably the best chance of getting any decent graphics card.

#28 Phi  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:09 PM

I got an email from Gamestop saying they're supplying more cards today.

#29 Faithful   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   763 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Faithful

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:12 PM

Wow that GameStop drop was a mess. Only crap bundles and no 3060ti. $1200 for a 3070 bundle is insane. Also that 3060 bundle for $840 when the dang card costs $400.

#30 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:02 PM

If you aren’t camping out at Microcenter do you even really want a new GPU?

LOL. Not as badly as I want to keep my job.