Looks Like I Got Ripped Off $230...NEW UPDATE: Wednesday Is His Last Chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oNeWiNgEdAnGeL

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (89%)
I made a trade with someone over at another site. I sent a Nintendo GameCube The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (game included), Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Ikaruga, Pikmin, Beyond Good & Evil, and SSX Tricky. I was suppose to get $230 for all this. I checked the DC, it said he got it on July 7th and he last logged onto the site on July 9th. I e-mailed then last night. I was out of town all weekend, so I couldn't speak with him. I see now that he has a BTR (Bad Trader Report) about something else.

I spoke with the site's dispute folks, and they just said to send him a polite e-mail and be patient. Now someone else he has a trade with got an e-mail from them saying that they don't think he will complete his trades.

Being the idiot that I am, I didn't get the his phone number. Being the bigger idiot that I am, the address was to a PO Box. Last, but not least, his name is fake since someone tried looking up his address and came up with no results.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my money back or at least my stuff?

Update #1

I called the post office in Plains, Montana. The lady said that they're not allowed to give out information without a warrant from the police. So I called the police department in Plains, Montana (took me a couple times, no one was answering) and I told my story to a dispatch. She helped me out and said an officer will check out the report. Only a few hours later, the office called me.

I told him my story. He said that Carl Crystal is his real name. He said that he would talk to him. He then told me to take him to civil court. He said to do that first thing in the morning. I asked him if he would have to come to a court where I live or I'd have to go to Montana, he said that he would have to go to a court room here. I asked what would happen if he didn't show up, he then said that there would be a warrant for his arrest.

The officer did tell me to e-mail him once last time and tell him what's going to go down. I e-mailed him and guess what? It took him 16 minutes to respond. After the many e-mails I had sent him, he finally responded. This is what I e-mailed him saying:

I just got off the phone with a police officer. He will be heading over to your house now. Tomorrow morning I will file a civil lawsuit against you and this will go to court. If you don't want any of this to happen, just e-mail me and send either my stuff back or my money. I will be waiting tonight.

He then responded by saying:

I sent the cash to ya 5-6 days ago. If ya haven't got it yet then you should shortly. I just hope that it has not been lost in the mail. thank you for your time.

Carl

I will wait until Friday to see if I get it. If I don't by then, I'll be taking this matter to court. The awesome thing is my parents have yet to realize any of this. I just want all this to be over with and I'll be sure never to make this mistake ever again. I'll keep you guys updated on what goes down.

Update #2

I decided to send another e-mail to Carl. I sent him an e-mail asking a couple questions and asking for his house and cellphone (if he has one) number. I didn't hear from him tonight, but I did hear from someone else...

The police offer called me within this past hour. He spoke with Carl, and Carl said that our agreement was cash and that he would seal the money, but I never agreed to that. I just checked our trade page, and he even said that we would be paying by money order. The police officer said that Carl would e-mail me tomorrow morning to talk about the money and what we will do.

He then said if he doesn't do anything about it, he told me to go ahead and file the civil lawsuit. Once that's done, he will be forced to show up to court where I live. If he doesn't show up, I don't know if I heard this correctly, but there will be a warrant for his arrest. Then, if he has assets, such as a truck, that will be taken and sold. Then, $230 plus the money for filing the paperwork and what have you will be taken out of the amount that the asset was sold for. So that will cover all my expenses. I finally asked the police officer that if I'm in a win-win situation and he said that I am.

So in the end, it looks like I'm victorious. I'll continue to keep you guys updated to the point where I get either my money or my stuff. For now, I'm somewhat relieved.

I forgot to mention that I explained the whole thing to my mom. She said I shouldn't have called the police over $230, but I told her this was basically fraud. She said ok. I thought she would get really pissed. I was surprised how calm she was after I told her everything. I think she would've gotten mad if I had lost the money for good.

Update #3

After sending Carl a few more e-mails within a span of 2 days, he finally responds by saying:

The reason I didn't rerspond is because I was gone. I had sent your money. If ya don't receive it by Wednesday let me know. If ya don't I can send $130 on the 7th and then the other half of it Sept. 7th

It seems very obvious that this guy is full of shit. Now, 2 days ago he had original claimed that he sent the money out 5-6 days ago. What I'm thinking is he set out the money these past few days, and that's why he said wait until Wednesday. I will wait until Wednesday, but if I don't have it by then, there is no way I'm waiting until August 7th to see if I get half of the money. If I don't have it by Wednesday, I will finally take this to civil court.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']I made a trade with someone over at another site. I sent a Nintendo GameCube The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (game included), Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Ikaruga, Pikmin, Beyond Good & Evil, and SSX Tricky. I was suppose to get $230 for all this. I checked the DC, it said he got it on July 7th and he last logged onto the site on July 9th. I e-mailed then last night. I was out of town all weekend, so I couldn't speak with him. I see now that he has a BTR (Bad Trader Report) about something else.

I spoke with the site's dispute folks, and they just said to send him a polite e-mail and be patient. Now someone else he has a trade with got an e-mail from them saying that they don't think he will complete his trades.

Being the idiot that I am, I didn't get the his phone number. Being the bigger idiot that I am, the address was to a PO Box. Last, but not least, his name is fake since someone tried looking up his address and came up with no results.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my money back or at least my stuff?[/QUOTE]
You got owned. btw, I wouldn't sell all that for $230. but that's just me...

What site was it, does it have any insurance or trader protection?

If not, you are totally screwed, but you have learned a valuable lesson and won't do it again.

I had a similar experience, I gave EB Games $50 and they game me a crappy game that shouldn't have been more than $5.
Bastards.

[quote name='Quackzilla']What site was it, does it have any insurance or trader protection?

If not, you are totally screwed, but you have learned a valuable lesson and won't do it again.

I had a similar experience, I gave EB Games $50 and they game me a crappy game that shouldn't have been more than $5.
Bastards.[/QUOTE]lol good one. Wow i cannot believe you first deal was for 200$+!!!! you are insane. The best you can do is get make fraud, assuming you still have the address, go to your police station tell the police what happened. Ask them to contact the local station of where the ripper resides. Most police officers understand your situation, and if your lucky, the other local police station will send their troops to the guys house and maybe you can get your stuff back.

Fake name or not, PO Boxes cost money. I suggest contacting the local police and seeing about an investigation- chances are, the PO Box was paid with a credit card with real info, or someone working at his Post Office can give a desciption. (Quite frankly though, it's gonna take an insane effort ot get the ball rolling to go after this guy.) Good luck, dude!

You say you have a PO Box address. That might be enough to find this guy. Try contacting the police to see what they can do. They can ask the USPS who rents that PO Box(this happens alot with deadbeat dads). Thief of $230 is a felony last I heard. Of course, if this person is on the other side of the country or something like that then it will be much harder.

Be patient and don't give up. Find out what your options are. Don't just assume your screwed. Good luck and I hope you've learned from this experience.

Like someone above said contact that post office and find out everything you can about the person that signed up for that PO box, maybe even ask if they have his face on camera (security tapes). USPS is a pain in the ass to deal with so best of luck to you, if they are problematic get in touch with the local police over there. What forum did this take place on? And did you double check references, etc? It seems every forum other than CAG uses Heatware which is a pretty good system, and only gets abused if someone hijacks someone elses account. Sorry to hear about the loss though

Wow, that really sucks... Was there a reason why you sent out your end of the deal first? You should definitely at least go to the post office and try to file a claim or something.

Wow - I'm very sorry to hear this - I'm new to this forum and I've already got a few trades going on - and this is only serving to make me more paranoid >_>

I think you should be able to call the post office and file a fraud claim. Hopefully they can help determine who owns the PO box.

Facts:

+ The USPS requires two photo IDs AND a street address (not another PO Box) to rent a PO Box
+ Using the USPS to commit fraud is a felony and a Federal offense
+ You know the address of the PO Box
+ You know the approximate time when the package was received

You should contact the Post Office where the PO Box is located at and file a fraud report, and have the local PD involved. File a small claims court at the jurisdiction naming John Doe who is in possession of that PO Box during the time period your package was received.

Do not even email the buyer threatening anything. Just go ahead with the aforementioned procedures and send this no good scammer directly to jail.

Go get 'em tiger!

Yea call the police or go to a station and see what can be done. I think they will care doing any type of scam though the post office is already felony. I also don't think they will laugh at the price either.

The reason people run PO Box scams is because they can get away with it 99% of the time.

Your local police department and/or post office WILL NOT help you unless you badger them incessantly. Even then there is a very small chance they will help you because the amount is so low. Police officers have to split their time between eating donuts and pulling over minorities...they aren't going to blink at the theft of $230. For the principle of it I hope you do get action taken against the guy. But don't think it's gonna be easy to do.

It sounds to me from your post that the trading site you were on was in cahoots with the scammer. If you're using a non-reputable trading site that's always what you have to expect.

[quote name='varsitygamer']why would a seller ever send goods before recieving payment?

sorry for your loss but... i just can't figure that out.

~stew[/QUOTE]

People trade for years to build up stellar feedback. With that feedback, they can look at all those new sellers with absolutely none, or very little references & ask them to ship first. It weeds out the scammers & impatient children selling damaged goods. This in turn builds up the little guys credit, & opens him up more within the trading community.

Of course, sending a decent size package to someone with less then several dozen positives, all the while not getting any personal information, are very important things to look over.

[quote name='varsitygamer']why would a seller ever send goods before recieving payment?

sorry for your loss but... i just can't figure that out.

~stew[/QUOTE]

Yeah dude. I have no sympathy for ignorance.

If it's only a couple hundred miles away, I would do a personal investigation. Show up at the guy's house, see what he has to say then.

[quote name='ThePlatinumStag']Wow - I'm very sorry to hear this - I'm new to this forum and I've already got a few trades going on - and this is only serving to make me more paranoid >_>[/QUOTE]
He said he got ripped on another site.

[quote name='ngamer007']If it's only a couple hundred miles away, I would do a personal investigation. Show up at the guy's house, see what he has to say then.[/QUOTE]

Except it was sent to a PO box...post office box.

People like this deserve to be tortured. What scum. If this happened to me, I would love 10 minutes alone with this guy. Good luck man, and follow the advice about how to track him through the PO Box from others.

Quackzilla was right. View this as a learning experience. If you view negative things as learning experiences, you are better able to accept them.

Again, --take this as a learning experience--. You could have lost more in the future had you not learned your lesson now.

your best bet is to work with the other people who got ripped and come up with an itemized list of what all was stolen, and the names and dates of everything.

Not having his real name might not get him off the hook

file internet fraud here
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp

and here with the usps
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm

and here with the federal trade commission
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Encourage the other people he ripped off to do the same thing.
and also encourage everyone he ripped to call his local sherrif's department and file theft complaints

was the site gametz.com?

most of the people on that site are kids(12 to 17) and that may make it more difficult for the charges to stick if the crook is under age.

sucks to hear that

why would he send first?

http://gametz.com/user/Carl.html

he has around 100 feedback the guy who got ripped off has 5

thats why he sent first

email the people he traded with in the past they might possibly have his address

he has been a member for a while and hopefully wasn't using a PO box the entire time

[quote name='dracula']your best bet is to work with the other people who got ripped and come up with an itemized list of what all was stolen, and the names and dates of everything.

Not having his real name might not get him off the hook

file internet fraud here
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp

and here with the usps
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm

and here with the federal trade commission
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Encourage the other people he ripped off to do the same thing.
and also encourage everyone he ripped to call his local sherrif's department and file theft complaints

was the site gametz.com?

most of the people on that site are kids(12 to 17) and that may make it more difficult for the charges to stick if the crook is under age.[/QUOTE]

one good thing about that is if you call you can talk to the kids parents and they dont want any trouble

Great Caesar's ghost! I would have split that package up a little to build up some trust especially since you were sending first. Sorry for you loss, OP..

scuba, it looks like all of carls buying and selling was through money orders(which probably means he is under 18, and does not have a bank account that would have his real name and addy) If he had a paypal account and it was verified, that usually would require a real name and address, but that isnt an option here.

Carl has had EIGHT previous BTRs and that should be a red flag right there(he has cleared them up, but not these last two).

It might look like carl was a decent trader, but sometimes that can be misleading.

ive suggested in the past that gametz upate their feedback system to make potential bad traders easy to spot:

for example

carl
200 total trades with 105 different users

speed ratings
70 excellent 20 poor 15 unacceptable

honesty ratings
65 excellent 30 fair 10 unacceptable

courtesy
75 excellent 30 poor

as it is now, the users just get a glimpse of the rakings:

"105 tptal trades with 196 different users, average rating: excellent"

which can really let the bad traders slide and makes it easy for potential bad traders to cover up their bad feedbacks.

It takes a LOT of bad feedback for the average rating to drop from excellent to good. I dont really think the mods took it seriously when i suggested they update their feedback system to make it easier to identify potential bad traders, but i guess they spend more of their going after bad traders, rather than looking at ways of preventing bad trades from happening.

onewingangel, i dont necessarily think that carl will rip you off, but it may just take a lot of time/hassle for you get get your money, or your gc package back. Carl has had a lot of rips

I would also suggest doing all of your trades on the cag trade forums, about 1% of the time on gametz, people get ripped, and on cag it is about half that. I think most of this is just due to a younger demographic on gametz, tho they do have a much more comprehensive way to list games..

[quote name='dracula']
I would also suggest doing all of your trades on the cag trade forums, about 1% of the time on gametz, people get ripped, and on cag it is about half that. I think most of this is just due to a younger demographic on gametz, tho they do have a much more comprehensive way to list games..[/QUOTE]

well, people probably don't get ripped off as much because rippers aren't going to go to the small places. I mean if you are going to rip someone off wouldn't you go to a website dedicated to trading not one in finding cheap ass deals?

haha :)

Even though I'm not discouraging trying I hate to break the news, but the Post Office by law isn't just going to give you information on the owner of the box. You can't just call up a post office and say the owner of box 319 ripped me off I need his information. The reason people use those boxes is because their identity is protected by federal law, which is why most businesses won't even deal with a po box customer. You can file a fraud claim and the post office may do something if you can offer up adequate proof (assuming the post office cares enough to look over your evidence), but they're held liable the minute they give anyone's PO box information to someone not involved on the account so it'll take some real convincing. Getting the police involved if possible is probably the only route to actually getting the post office to do anything, but yeah in the future never deal with someone using a PO box.

Someone mentioned this guy being a few hundred miles away... if you get really desperate, you might take a couple days off, drive down there, and wait at the Post Office. Someone's gonna show up to get the mail eventually.... :twisted:

i always look at feedback from other users before trading. You have to have guidelines, and with 8 past BTRs, its too the point where if there cleared or not, its a major red flag for them to send first

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Maybe you can get a raincheck...

:twisted:

Don't stain your pants, I'm just teasing.[/QUOTE]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I was thinking the exact same thing!

Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You do have options though. File a Mail Fraud claim. Just because the guy gave you a fake name doesn't mean that the P.O box is registered to a fake name. After all, the guy has to pay for the P.O. Box somehow, right? Persue it, you'll get something in the end.

I'm assuming that you did this trade using gametz.com seeing as you mentioned BTR's and the trade council thingy. I had the same thing happen to me although all I was able to do was file a BTR and lose out on my $25. But if I were you I would DEFINITELY file a mail fraud claim and try to contact the local authorities, hopefully you will be successful. Also like hte GTZ trader guide thing says, for your first few trades NEVER send to someone with less than a bronze star, it's in there for a reason ;)

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Post his address. Someone from here might be cool enough to pose as you. I would.[/QUOTE]

Uh how would this work when the police/post office ask for ID?

I called the post office in Plains, Montana. The lady said that they're not allowed to give out information without a warrant from the police. So I called the police department in Plains, Montana (took me a couple times, no one was answering) and I told my story to a dispatch. She helped me out and said an officer will check out the report. Only a few hours later, the office called me.

I told him my story. He said that Carl Crystal is his real name. He said that he would talk to him. He then told me to take him to civil court. He said to do that first thing in the morning. I asked him if he would have to come to a court where I live or I'd have to go to Montana, he said that he would have to go to a court room here. I asked what would happen if he didn't show up, he then said that there would be a warrant for his arrest.

The officer did tell me to e-mail him once last time and tell him what's going to go down. I e-mailed him and guess what? It took him 16 minutes to respond. After the many e-mails I had sent him, he finally responded. This is what I e-mailed him saying:

I just got off the phone with a police officer. He will be heading over to your house now. Tomorrow morning I will file a civil lawsuit against you and this will go to court. If you don't want any of this to happen, just e-mail me and send either my stuff back or my money. I will be waiting tonight.

He then responded by saying:

I sent the cash to ya 5-6 days ago. If ya haven't got it yet then you should shortly. I just hope that it has not been lost in the mail. thank you for your time.

Carl

I will wait until Friday to see if I get it. If I don't by then, I'll be taking this matter to court. The awesome thing is my parents have yet to realize any of this. I just want all this to be over with and I'll be sure never to make this mistake ever again. I'll keep you guys updated on what goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back