Longest Game Ever made?

bostonfrontier

CAG Newbie
I'd like to know what game takes the longest to finish.

I'm guessing its an RPG. I'm wanting to buy a game and want my mony's worth and can be for any system.

(also, put how many hours it takes to complete)

Just because a game is long doesn't necessarily mean you'll get your "money's worth" as the game itself could be crap.

But you're most likely looking @ an RPG if your main issue is game length.

Nah Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind is just like brak said. You'll get lost for about 100 hours in that game. Not lost as in fun but seriously lost and wondering around tring to figure out what you wanna do next.

For a japanese RPG, DW7 is probably the longest...without doing any side quests or anything, just going straight through, you'd be hard pressed to do it under 50-60hrs. I got up around the 80hr mark before I quit.

Console RPG is definetly DQ VII. I had 60 hours game clock before I quit and I wasnt even off Disc 1. Xenogears is another long game. I put in 80 hours my first time and I loved it.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the last Grand Theft Auto. That game is frickin' long.....

For First Person Shooters, I would have to say Duke Nukem 3D is really long.

A little old school for some here. But Daggerfall the prequel to Morrowind. Try to do everything in that game.

For the PC try Baldurs gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights, A lot of High quality mods with Voice acting and the whole 9 years means a ton of extra gameplay. Even Bioware's gotten into the mod making thing for Neverwinter Nights. Great game and Hundreds upon Hundreds of hours if you go through everything and play just a couple of those well made mods.

Well. Beat can mean a couple things. Have you done everything you can do in the game. Fought all the monsters. Gotten all the skills you can. Been everywhere. After all someone beat Pac-man.

If you do all the missions in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance it can take you 70-100 hours.

Unlike a lot of RPGs I thought FFTA was fun all the way through.

[quote name='Quackzilla']If you do all the missions in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance it can take you 70-100 hours.

Unlike a lot of RPGs I thought FFTA was fun all the way through.[/QUOTE]

i breezed thru FFTA in 37 hrs getting everything.

the classes are not weighted properly so once you figure out what's the best, it's pretty much all over.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Dragon Warrior 7 is really friggin long.[/QUOTE]
agreed. it took me 94 hours for that monster.

One should define a "long" game as time to complete the story, not including side quests. I know people who spent well over 100 hours on FFX, but the heart of the game takes only 40ish hours.

Gauntlet II lasts forever.

And I second Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon 64 (and others in the series), those last forever, as well.

[quote name='SithFran']Yar's Revenge[/QUOTE]

Nope, eventually it *craps out*. :)

And as someone already mentioned, just because a game is long, doesn't make it fun and getting your money's worth. Some mentioned MW as a long game that you get your money's worth, personally I didn't like it, but to each their own.

IMHO, if you want game lenth and fun, find an MMO you like. Sure, it's 15 bucks a month after the cost of the game, but most spend more than 15 a month to keep busy and entertained. Still a bargain if you ask me. Pick EQ if you want long hours, WoW if you want to accomplish something in a shorter amount of time (up until a point).

Also, the Neverwinter Nights series has tons of mods and many swear by it. Matter of fact, there is a box called Neverwinter Nights Diamond that ships 11/01/05 that includes all of the expansion packs for 30 bucks.

It all depends on how much you want to invest in a game. I've logged more hours with Super Monkey Ball and Ms. Pac-Man than probably any other games I own. These are not long games per se but they have near-infinite replay value and I just like getting high scores...

[quote name='rodeojones903']Dragon Warrior 7 is really friggin long.[/QUOTE]

I put it down after 90 something hours on DISC 1. I had to keep leveling up constantly. After DW7, I can't stand random battles in RPG's at all. It did it for me.

Also, Morrowind is pretty long. Being that you can get the expanded version on Xbox for around $19, you'll definately get your money's worth on it.

The thing is though, that RPG's aren't the only games that can keep your interest and make you feel like you got your money's worth out of a game. I play the hell out of Halo 2 to this day online, and it was one of the very few games that I can say that I've played the $50 out of it. Pirates is another one that I've played the hell out of. If you can find Deus Ex for PS2 around somewhere, it's definately worth it (although the PC version is much better IMO). Then again, if you have no interest in life or the outside world, give Disgaea a whirl

[quote name='Ecofreak']Just because a game is long doesn't necessarily mean you'll get your "money's worth" as the game itself could be crap.[/QUOTE]

The PS1 version of Dragon Warrior (7?) is an example. "Hundreds of hours of gameplay" was the advertising. "Good solution for insomnia" was the reality.

troy

[quote name='basketkase543']GTA: San Andreas with all missions and side stories will run you a ton of hours.[/QUOTE]

Took me 124 hours to reach 100% completion :)

im going to back up everyone that says dragon warrior 7... this game is LONG, im nearly 40 hours into it (ive been playing it here and there for months now) and i am nowhere near done

[quote name='Sleepkyng']i breezed thru FFTA in 37 hrs getting everything.

the classes are not weighted properly so once you figure out what's the best, it's pretty much all over.[/QUOTE]

yeah it went pretty quick after getting everyone buffed up, under 40 hours... however its older brother final fantasy tactics for the psx, now that took much longer, especially all the extra stuff, and they dont keep track of all the pub missions (percentage wise) so, plus getting people up to master classes and such, ive spent well over 80 hours beating this before

Almost every review I pick up has a phrase: "And you get 100+ hours of entertainment so your dollar is well-spent," or "This game is only 10 hours long... so we deducted 5 points."

Who the fuck cares? I didn't go to my friends and say, "Dude. That new Titantic movie's like 6 hours long! What a bargain!" ----- No more likely I say, "Man, I was bored to death." ----- Neither did I go, "That Shrek movie was good but only 75 minutes long. What a ripoff." (Sounds silly doesn't it?)

Same applies to games. I don't care how long it is. I care how *entertaining* it is. So if you're a reviewer, don't bother telling me how many hours of my life I'm going to waste - I don't care. Just tell me the bottom line - Is it fun or not?

I'd rather have a good solid 10-hour adventure (like Luigi's Mansion or Ico) VS. a heavily-padded & stretched 100-hour snoozefest (like tales of sympho...ni.....zzz).

It's the *quality* not the quantity that matters.

troy

[quote name='Sleepkyng']i breezed thru FFTA in 37 hrs getting everything.

the classes are not weighted properly so once you figure out what's the best, it's pretty much all over.[/QUOTE]

i don't see how that's possible at all. you beat all 300 missions? got all the mission items? i'm at 50 or 60 hours and i'm only ~215 missions in. i stopped a while ago, though, becaues TA is BORING compared to the original.

Longer is not always better when it comes to games. I really couldn't get into Morrowind; too tiny of steps and too much travel time between areas. Just my opinion.

For games I've personally played, I put over 100 hours into Disgaea before beating it (lots of side missions and leveling up), and loved every second. I remember putting 84 hours into Final Fantasy 3 on SNES, then starting over and playing another 68 hours.

I'm going to say, if you're looking for a long-ass RPG, check out Romancing SaGa. It's got eight playable characters, and each one takes 30-40 hours each to beat, according to Square-Enix.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']ok, I'll get DW7 then[/QUOTE]
Be prepared to wait three hours until your first battle. Ugh.

Here's my review of it: http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200111/R03.0805.1830.57675.htm

I didn't do the second opinion, though that somehow has my name, too.

When I played FF7 my third or fourth time, I spent like 20 hours in Midgar just leveling up and getting all my limit breaks. I had everyone's limit break up to their second level 3 before I even left Midgar. It was sweet...and boring...and took a long time.

I guess "the longest journey" isn't really the longest.

I seem to remember some SRPG for a Sega system, perhaps with a "dragon" or "shining" in the title that is supposed to have 7 scenarios times 50 hours per.

And somebody somewhere must have put many hundreds of hours into a few of the Tony Hawk games. Not to mention Rogue and the other roguelike games (nethack, angband, etc).

[quote name='eldad9']I seem to remember some SRPG for a Sega system, perhaps with a "dragon" or "shining" in the title that is supposed to have 7 scenarios times 50 hours per.
[/QUOTE]

Dragon Force? You have eight character senarios you can play though, but except for a few key scenes they are the same each time. And I don't think it takes 50 hours to play though each one. Can't remember...it's been a few years since my Saturn was plugged in.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Animal crossing is supposed to last at least 60years and I know harvest moon 64 kept on goin.[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! And the game is so damn addicting, too. I borrowed it from a friend, played for 5 days, and had to buy a copy. Luckily it had just gone Player's Choice. I proceeded to play every single day for a long time. Also, 3 of my friends wereso enamored with the game that they got copies, which made 4 towns I could visit.

You'd have to play for at least a year to see everything, since the game is in real time. Certain fish and bugs can only be caught in specific seasons, different things happen during the day than at night, there are tons of items to collect, different fruits from different villages, and, if you visit other villages (sometimes even if you don't) town residents will move away and new ones will come in.

All that for $20. Damn, I need to go play that now.... But I don't want to spend hours picking weeds from my abandoned town.

bread's done
Back