Games that were so overrated that they made you buy them.

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
For me i would have to say it is Halo. When Halo was released, everyone hailed it as the greatest shooter. Heraing this, i immediately felt the need to buy it. Once i had played through the game i found that although the A.I. is quite good, the game was too linear; running through a level shooting everything in sight without much strategy, and the occasional vehicle added to its overratedness (don't know if that's a word but oh well).

The game I think is just good for multiplayer. Levels are pretty garbage, and I think the weapon selection is terrible. Most light gamers don't notice that, so it became really popular....it is a still pretty good game. The best shooter? no way in hell.

Top 5 Most Over-rated video games of all time

5. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (XBX, CUB, PS2)
4. Ninja Gaiden (XBX)
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
2. Halo (XBX)
1. Final Fantasy VII (PSX)

Okay, I'm not saying these games are BAD in anyway. I'm just saying that they're not nearly as great as they're made out to be. Let's start with THPS4. I mean, each game is just an update, without anything really great to warrent another 50 greenbacks a year. Neversoft sure knows how to milk a franchise. Next is Namco's recent Xbox hit "Ninja Gaiden." Yes, the game is difficult, but difficult games are supposed to also be fun. Not this one, thanks to an incredibly wonky camera system and cheap enemy A.I., this game not only crosses the line from fun to frustrating, it desecrates it. For people who argue, "you're not good/hardcore enough for this game," I just simply reply, "NES." Back in the day, developers knew how to balance hard and fun. Heck, take the original Ninja Gaiden games. Didn't they learn? I was hoping the extra delays would be used to work out a camera system, apparently not. Overhyped to death, the worst 50 bucks spent on this current crop of next-gen console games. Next, I have to slam Vice City, because this is a game that sells on content, not substance. Oh boy, I can shoot a hooker and jack cars! Every 10-year old boy's dream. This game is so unpolished and clunky that I honestly didn't see how people could play through it. Even worse is various gaming mags who thought it deserved perfect scores despite a boatload of problems that a normal game would've been lucky to scoot by with. Next is the cream of the Xbox fanboy's crop, Halo. I get into regular arguments about Halo, and while I agree that it is a very polished game, it is also a rather generic game. Multiplayer is good, but still doesn't compare to GoldenEye, given the fact they're two different games. Halo just bored me. I enjoyed lesser-hyped shooters like XIII and Breakdown a lot more, given their respective flaws. Perhaps Xbox Live will make Halo 2 a worthy purchase. Finally, the game that really gets my skin crawling is Final Fantasy VII, Square's first foray into the Sony market. Time and time again, I see this game win various polls on best game ever, and it sickens me. What makes this game good? That it was Final Fantasy in a 3-D universe? That it had a "good story?" How did it revolutionize gaming? How is it better then games like Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Starcraft, Tetris, Metal Gear Solid, etc.? It didn't. Even worse is people who consider Cloud and Sephiroth the 2 most popular characters in video gaming. I think that title belongs to Mario, who many consider the Mickey Mouse of gaming.

I highly agree with you funkmachinex. Levels are basically straight run thrus. I don't even think muliplayer is really that good.

Yeah its an alright game, all the hype killed it though, and the fact everyone I was working with at the time I got the Xbox played it non-stop made me like it even less, but its a good thing it got me addicted to Onimusha, see I dont like being like everyone else most the time I promise. I am getting Halo 2 and thats about it, i dont normally buy a game when it first comes out because of the price but hey I figured this would be worth it. But if they delay it anymore Im done with it and transfering the money I have on it to Ninja Gaiden

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I highly agree with you funkmachinex. Levels are basically straight run thrus. I don't even think muliplayer is really that good.[/quote]

i also agree. i just passed it last night and if i hadn't been playing multiplayer with my brother, then i would've been bored to death! i'm used to first person shooters on the pc and imho, halo doesn't compare.

during the last levels, i found everything to be sooooooo monotonous and boring, and the maps were always the same. also, the low variety of enemies and weapon choices made the game so bland.

ah well, it was still worth the $20 i paid. multiplayer is pretty fun. :lol:

I would have to say Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.......I was so hyped for the movie I thought it'd be great.....it ended up being a subpar Golden Axe clone.

the reason that i say that the multiplayer is not that good is because there are no bots. You have to bring your friends over or go to them. Games like Red Faction and XIII are excellent in the multiplayer department becuase they allow you to play the multiplayer by yourself once you get bored with story mode. And Although these to games that i have just stated are not as polished in visual department as Halo, i enjoyed them more for there gameplay.

I hate stealth action, and yet I was compelled by the hype to buy Metal Gear Solid 2. I also felt the need to buy Grand Theft Auto 3 based solely on hype. I had no desire to run around committing crimes, but the hype around the game convinced me to give it a try.

For the record, I still hate stealth action, and I still don't feel the need to run around committing crimes on my PS2.

I think Splinter Cell PT is overrated. Or maybe it's not my kind of game. I heard that it was the best XBL game to play but IMO, it doesn't compare to Rainbow Six 3.

I love Halo and can't wait for Halo 2. It doesn't seem overrated to me. The single player campaign is fun and I love the story. I don't know why people complain about the lack of different enemies. How many do they need to have? However with the weapons, I agree that there should be more. Hopefully, a wider selection of guns will be available in Halo 2.

[quote name='sj41']I think Splinter Cell PT is overrated. Or maybe it's not my kind of game. I heard that it was the best XBL game to play but IMO, it doesn't compare to Rainbow Six 3.

I love Halo and can't wait for Halo 2. It doesn't seem overrated to me. The single player campaign is fun and I love the story. I don't know why people complain about the lack of different enemies. How many do they need to have? However with the weapons, I agree that there should be more. Hopefully, a wider selection of guns will be available in Halo 2.[/quote]

How many enemies are there? I can't really think of more than 5. That's not a great showing for a FPS.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='sj41']I think Splinter Cell PT is overrated. Or maybe it's not my kind of game. I heard that it was the best XBL game to play but IMO, it doesn't compare to Rainbow Six 3.

I love Halo and can't wait for Halo 2. It doesn't seem overrated to me. The single player campaign is fun and I love the story. I don't know why people complain about the lack of different enemies. How many do they need to have? However with the weapons, I agree that there should be more. Hopefully, a wider selection of guns will be available in Halo 2.[/quote]

How many enemies are there? I can't really think of more than 5. That's not a great showing for a FPS.[/quote]

exactly.

i'm shooting at the enemies from level 1 all the way to the last level and imo, it gets quite repetitive.

the best thing going for halo, imo, are the top notch controls. everything from layout to responisiveness. everything else is ho hum. i think multiplayer sucks on halo. i haven't done link up but i don't think it'd be any better than timesplitters2.

I agree with ninja gaiden being over hyped. The camera angles really like to piss people off, but the nostalga is priceless. I rented full spectrum warrior and while it was a good game the missions and landscape seemed to repetitive .

I don't think halo is overrated. It may be now, but when it came out it was definitely not overrated. I think KOTOR was overrated. Maybe this was because it felt too easy for me when i rented it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='sj41']I think Splinter Cell PT is overrated. Or maybe it's not my kind of game. I heard that it was the best XBL game to play but IMO, it doesn't compare to Rainbow Six 3.

How many enemies are there? I can't really think of more than 5. That's not a great showing for a FPS.[/quote]I think they had 4 covenant and 4 flood. It's not that many but it didn't bother me at all.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal'][quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='sj41']I think Splinter Cell PT is overrated. Or maybe it's not my kind of game. I heard that it was the best XBL game to play but IMO, it doesn't compare to Rainbow Six 3.

How many enemies are there? I can't really think of more than 5. That's not a great showing for a FPS.[/quote]

exactly.

i'm shooting at the enemies from level 1 all the way to the last level and imo, it gets quite repetitive.[/quote]The Hunters and the Flood are not on level 1. That's what I like about it. The flood show up later in the game instead of you having to fight the exact some guys the whole way through. It just changes it up to where you have to fight against different enemies at the same time.

The KOF series as a whole. Not to say there are not some good games in it, but in no way shape or form does it compare to anything CAPCOM has done or even some of the other SNK series.

I also think Soul Calibur as a series is overrated. Play Virtua Fighter 4:EVO and then SCII and its not hard to see which is better

Street Fighter II still owns everything on the market.

also halo is overhyped, but it gets bashed as a bad game when it is not. I have played through the SP several times and find it to be a decent FPS with good controls and one of the best soundtracks ever(the music is what makes me continue to play the game.) Also people mention enemies, but how many FPS have the same type of enemies? When people play MOH no one complains about only shooting NAzi's

and I do not feel MGS2 is overhyped. That game is the total package. I have played through it so many times and will defend its greatness to the death(yes it is superior to the first game)

GTA3 blows donkey balls. That is one of the worst games of this generation. I mean its a remake of the first game and does nothing new but bring crime into the third dimension. GTA was played out in 1998. I did like Vice City, but more because of the music and motorcycles than anything else.

im not saying it was overrated (or bad in anyway) but i bought halo just b/c of the hype. the day i bought my xbox i only had enuf money to buy 1 game. i was personally going to buy project gotham racing but i kept remembering halo cause everyone had been talking about it. looking at the box art, i saw (for the first time) a green guy with some crap going on in the background and wondered "what the hell?". i caved into the hype and went with halo anyway though. got home, played that game for weeks, and loved it.

There may be spoilers about Halo in this postage, so if you haven't played the game then maybe you should not read this.

IMO the story of Halo is subpar. For instance (and I hope I'm not giving anything away) when you are towards the end of the game and you learn what the Halo is truly designed for: to destroy the food supply of the Flood. Now i might be overanalyzing things a bit, but to me that sounded redundant because the ring could have just destroyed the Flood instead of their food. Wouldn't that have done the same. It is plot holes like these that the story of Halo irritate me.

Yes CaseyRyback I'll admit that the music and effects of Halo were exceptional. Those two things plus the graphics were the only things that i remember to be any good in that game. And though the music is some of the best i have heard, it is not what i'm playing. I'm playing the gameplay and the story. And those two things are what i believe they let down on. This game got so much hype because of Microsoft's warchest. They had enough money to promote the heck out of it and that's so many people no about it. There promoting is what i believe influenced people onthe game. That's not to say that promoting a game is bad, but i do not believe in there tactics let's say.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I also think Soul Calibur as a series is overrated. Play Virtua Fighter 4:EVO and then SCII and its not hard to see which is better

Street Fighter II still owns everything on the market.

GTA3 blows donkey balls. That is one of the worst games of this generation. I mean its a remake of the first game and does nothing new but bring crime into the third dimension. GTA was played out in 1998. I did like Vice City, but more because of the music and motorcycles than anything else.[/quote]

Casey speaks the truth.

SCII is an awful fighter. There are much better fighting games out there.

The Grand Theft Auto series took a dive when it went 3D, although it wasn't that great to begin with...

metal gear solid 2 - bought into hype though I didn't like the genre of game
metroid prime - sorry but I consider this a FPS for people who don't play FPS IMHO, the whole auto-locking thing?
the FF series - never liked them, always too boring for me
mario sunshine - you clean stuff?
soul caliber, tekken, virtua fighter, DOA - button smashing fest, I'm sure theres some technique to all of these games, but none of them grabbed my attention long enough for me to give a damn. Probably because I'm biased toward old-school 2D fighters, I basically only like fighting games done by SNK or Capcom that are 2D, or in Capcom's case the 3D SF EX 1 and 2, not 3.

[quote name='Graystone']ninja gaiden
prince of persia
all final fansty's[/quote]

I agress on Prince of Persia....haven't played ninja gaiden tho, in the process of getting it tho. Don't think final fantasy's are over hyped if you hate rpgs..

Halo has worst weapons I think, and yeah like I said single player LEVELS are terrible, they are all in the somewhat same area's, not complex at all. Vehicles are what make the juice JUICY.

The laser like guns in that game piss me off, The only weapons that are good are the bullet kinds, shotgun, rocket launcher, etc. Should've had more of those, less laser. STICKY GRENADES are what keep me in multiplayer.

"BIATCH EAT MY WARTHOG GOIN 60mph, OH GODDAMNIT NOT THE STICKY"

The Single player in Halo is decent, but the level design is pretty uninspired. Though the multiplayer is pretty darn fun if you can russle up several x-boxes and TV's and playing teams of 4 against each other.

soul caliber, tekken, and virtua fighter series are some of the best fighters ever made. Though they are mostly button smashing, you need to overlook that to get to their core where there is a lot of strategy involved to play them. For instance in SCII the guard is quite difficult to get used to. But truly speaking they are button smashers that after you get a way from those games that make you think, such as RPGs, these games are great to just sit and pick up and play.

When it concerns DOA Masterlin1 is correct in saying it is a button smasher. This game truly has no depth. Other than getting each characters ending there is nothing there. To unlock one secret character, this game is not worth it and in my opinion one of the worst fighters, if not the worst, ever made

[quote name='MasterLin1']metal gear solid 2 - bought into hype though I didn't like the genre of game
metroid prime - sorry but I consider this a FPS for people who don't play FPS IMHO, the whole auto-locking thing?
the FF series - never liked them, always too boring for me
mario sunshine - you clean stuff?
soul caliber, tekken, virtua fighter, DOA - button smashing fest, I'm sure theres some technique to all of these games, but none of them grabbed my attention long enough for me to give a damn. Probably because I'm biased toward old-school 2D fighters, I basically only like fighting games done by SNK or Capcom that are 2D, or in Capcom's case the 3D SF EX 1 and 2, not 3.[/quote]

IMO I don't believe Ninja Gaiden to be overhyped...Its considered a good exclusive xbox title, but I don't hear about it all over the place like FF7. I didn't find the camera angles to be a problem.. and difficulty was challanging, but i found it easy to give beat downs once i learned the controls.

Tekken, virtual fighter can be button mashers...however a button masher can't compete with someone who knows how to play the game.

[quote name='MasterLin1']metroid prime - sorry but I consider this a FPS for people who don't play FPS IMHO, the whole auto-locking thing?
[/quote]

If you played it as a FPS you missed the point of the game, that is all I will say. This topic has been beaten to death.

[quote name='Rhife']Top 5 Most Over-rated video games of all time
Finally, the game that really gets my skin crawling is Final Fantasy VII, Square's first foray into the Sony market. Time and time again, I see this game win various polls on best game ever, and it sickens me. What makes this game good? That it was Final Fantasy in a 3-D universe? That it had a "good story?" How did it revolutionize gaming? How is it better then games like Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Starcraft, Tetris, Metal Gear Solid, etc.? It didn't. Even worse is people who consider Cloud and Sephiroth the 2 most popular characters in video gaming. I think that title belongs to Mario, who many consider the Mickey Mouse of gaming.[/quote]

You read my thoughts on FF7, I just don't get how it was voted best game ever on gamefaq's. Standard RPG gameplay, maybe a good story for an RPG, with great cutscenes. I think it is was initially overated due to squares amazing cgi, unfortunately that makes it more of a movie than a game. Thats my 2 cents before this thread turns into a flame fest.

[quote name='Hardware']I paid $50 for State Of Emergency for PS2 the day it came out. Biggest mistake in my history of gaming.[/quote]

I told my friend to get State of Emergency when he bought his PS2, because Rockstar had huge hype after GTA.....ooops.

[quote name='EggViper']im not saying it was overrated (or bad in anyway) but i bought halo just b/c of the hype. the day i bought my xbox i only had enuf money to buy 1 game. i was personally going to buy project gotham racing but i kept remembering halo cause everyone had been talking about it. looking at the box art, i saw (for the first time) a green guy with some crap going on in the background and wondered "what the hell?". i caved into the hype and went with halo anyway though. got home, played that game for weeks, and loved it.[/quote] My mom bought my Xbox and I only had enough money for 1 $50 game. I went for Halo since I had played it at a friend's house and it was one of the best games I've ever played.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']When it concerns DOA Masterlin1 is correct in saying it is a button smasher. This game truly has no depth. Other than getting each characters ending there is nothing there. To unlock one secret character, this game is not worth it and in my opinion one of the worst fighters, if not the worst, ever made[/quote]

I'm going to disagree.

I think that the reversals in DOA make it a lot deeper than people realize. I agree that the other games are good. but DOA 3 isn't bad at all. It can get heated between two people.

msdmoney Hardware wrote:
I paid $50 for State Of Emergency for PS2 the day it came out. Biggest mistake in my history of gaming.

I told my friend to get State of Emergency when he bought his PS2, because Rockstar had huge hype after GTA.....ooops.

State of Emergency is one of themost monotonous and repetitive games ever made.

I also have to say the GTA series is overrated. They're not horrible, but I bought GTA III because of hype and got bored during the middle of the game. I bought GTA:VC because it got high ratings and was supposedly better than GTA 3. It was better, but man, I came across some big glitches and bugs that screwed me over more than once. A perfect 10? I think not.

Animal Crossing, It wasn't bad game but I looked at It and though, I need this! I saved enough money for not only AC but for a cube too because I didn't have one, now whenever I see the case I just look at it and thing I should play some, oh wait my town is probaly full of weeds and everyone is bound to hate me. Having a cube got me into smash bros though and thats a game i'll never regret buying.

I didn't like Smash Bros. Melee as much as the 64 version, and I played the 64 version a lot and still do.

Add Smash Bros. Melee to my overrated list.

Halo, I bought it because I had to see what the big deal was. I haven't played it on over a year.

Gran Turismo 3, I didn't like the first 2 games on PSX but I figured I would give the series another chance. It's too realistic for me to the point where it's not fun to play.

And to a lesser extent, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, at first I liked it but I got bored after the same repetitive gameplay. Run to a Temple, solve puzzles, defeat boss, run to next Temple and repeat. Had it not been talked about so much, I may not have gotten it in the first place.

I am not going to make the same mistake again and I don't plan to get Halo 2, Gran Turismo 4 or the new Zelda game for Gamecube (I haven't even played Wind Waker yet nor do I want to).

That Dead or Alive Volleyball game. One of my friends has that, and I see nothing valuable about it. It is pretty convenient that it only takes one hand to zoom in on the girls' "assets" leaving your other hand free....... :roll:

gta 3 was the first hyped game that i bought...but that's a good thing b/c i loved it :D...but that's b/c i rented it before buying it...

a game i bought JUST b/c it was hailed as the best game ever was ff vii...i havenet even played a fourth of it yet...it's pretty normal so far, but i guess i'll have to play all of it to see the "true beauty," so to speak...

[quote name='6669']That Dead or Alive Volleyball game. One of my friends has that, and I see nothing valuable about it. It is pretty convenient that it only takes one hand to zoom in on the girls' "assets" leaving your other hand free....... :roll:[/quote]

:puke:

just make sure not to use that controller again if u ever go to his house to play games :lol:

REZ. A very unique game, but way too short for its own good. I LOVE shooters, and this one got old way too quick. The "discontinued" rumors didn't help things either.

[quote name='Hardware']I paid $50 for State Of Emergency for PS2 the day it came out. Biggest mistake in my history of gaming.[/quote]

AGREE'D

Driver. I heard so many great things about it that I had to buy a copy. What a waste of money that was.

I also broke down and bought Halo and Super Smash Bros. Melee (though not at the same time) because of all the positive press. Luckily, those two are prety good.

bread's done
Back