Mega Man Anniversary Collection: PS2/GCN Pros and Cons

redgopher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
After a frustrating day of selling one version and buying another, here's what your average, every day gopher has learned about both PS2 and GCN copies of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. I'll split it up into two categories for each platform.. Basics, which is essentially what you learn about the game from reading the back of the case, and What They Don't Want You To Know, which are the little imperfections that you can either live with or really piss you off.

Multiplatform Basics:

10 Mega Man games. Mega Man 1-8, The Power Battle and The Power Fighters
Navi mode, which basically updates the HUD to look like Mega Man 8
Artwork galleries
History of Mega Man

The Basics, GCN:

Developer interviews and apparently sound test mode for new music.

The Basics, PS2:

Footage from the original Mega Man TV series and new music for the NES games in Navi mode. (it could span to 7 and 8 as well)

What They Don't Want You To Know, GCN:

Odd control scheme, which is actually minor. It's not as big of a deal as you'd think.
No new music during gameplay in Navi mode. Aww...

What They Don't Want You To Know, PS2:

The controls are mapped better, but this doesn't mean it works better. MMAC REQUIRES A DUALSHOCK 2 CONTROLLER. Why? MM has never needed pressure sensitive buttons. Why is this such a big deal? With digital controls, its on or off.. meaning you can make quick little taps on the buttons to get you to where you want to be. With the PS2 controller, sometimes you need more pressure for the buttons to activate, which can cause a bit of overcorrecting... possibly throwing you into some spikes. Complete bullshit. I tried to use a PS1 controller, but it gave me the finger and asked for a DS2. Ugh.

The graphics are shitty. No, I'm not insane. My point is that the game screen doesn't completely fill your TV. There is an added option to adjust the screen (move it horizontally) but this really doesn't help. Not only that, but the sprites and graphics in general look fuzzy... like lines and stuff look "shimmering" (thats really the best way I can describe it). The Cube version doesn't have either of those problems. The Cube fills the screen completely and features sharp graphics.

So after all of this hell, I'm sticking with the Cube version. The guy I sold it to is still going to get it though, I'll just take the PS2 copy back and exchange it for a Cube copy.

I strongly advise everyone to just take the new control scheme and lack of in-game new music up the ass, deal with it, and enjoy a much better looking game with, well... a better controller. I'm using my Hori digital pad for it and it's awesome.

Thanks for the info, anyone else got opinions on which one to buy? I might go with the PS2 version for the music itself, but if the pressure sensitive thing is true, it might be a bad choice.

[quote name='Arakias']Thanks for the info, anyone else got opinions on which one to buy? I might go with the PS2 version for the music itself, but if the pressure sensitive thing is true, it might be a bad choice.[/quote]

Trust me dude, go with Cube. I cannot stress this enough. PS2 really makes it look like shit, and it really doesn't control very well.

after reading your post about the ps2 version, i was concerned about my copy that i ordered from capcom.com....i just put it in...it fills the ENTIRE screen...and the graphics....they're not that bad for how old the game is...and my controller....while i havent gone far into the game yet, it works fine by me (im using the ds2)....i know i dont have the gc version to be able to compare it to, but im happy enough just being able to re-experience these classics

[quote name='The_Continental']about the control scheme - what is it? A - jump, B - shoot?[/quote]

That's what it should be. :(

It's B - Jump, A - Shoot

It may be just me and the fact I haven't played these in years but I NEVER recalled MM1/MM2 being so effing hard in the Wily stages...

[quote name='Fatesealer']It may be just me and the fact I haven't played these in years but I NEVER recalled MM1/MM2 being so effing hard in the Wily stages...[/quote]

Yellow Devil is giving me problems... but then again, I need to go to bed.

redgopher - thanks for post. You made some valid points. We all know you can't be lying after all the bullshit you had to go through buying, selling, buying, and trading in.... lol....

[quote name='VSquad']redgopher - thanks for post. You made some valid points. We all know you can't be lying after all the bullshit you had to go through buying, selling, buying, and trading in.... lol....[/quote]

Thanks! Good to know my post was appreciated :)

I have both and I haven't experienced some of the issues in your review. I'm not going to review the PS2 version, but in my opinion it's better than the GCN one.

can anyone else comment on the ps2's screen problem gopher described?

it just dosent seem like it makes sence, and that was the platform i wanted...

[quote name='Wshakspear']the music is still in the cube version, but only available throught said sound test[/quote]

Is this true? That the remixes are still on the Cube disc? Though I would love it if it was mixed in the game so I wouldnt have to spend time listening to music from the Cube.
Also, off topic check out the music of The Advantage - a rock trio covering various NES Tunes. The Flashman version of theirs rocks.
Cant seem to find the link though...

looking around the net, apparently you can unlock the songs to play while your looking through the special stuff....Im just confused why they wouldnt have left that option on for the cube version

well I have the ps2 version and I was surprised about the game not filling the entire screen, sucks because I preorderd the gamecube version but was worried about playing through the megaman games with the analog stick on the gamecube controller( because the dpad sucks on it). Haven't noticed any other major problems though. I only played through metalman's stage in MM2 though and did noticed the screen filickered in certain areas but I believe the original game had the same problems.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']once again...punqsux avoiding my post :roll:[/quote]

no your post was not vaoided, but 1 person saying it takes up the whole screen, and 1 person saying it dosent is FAR from clarification...

I have the PS2 version and I didn't notice the screen being off. Also, what difference does it really make if it asks for a DS2? Plug it in and get to playing and stop whining.

[quote name='GF_Eric']I have the PS2 version and I didn't notice the screen being off. Also, what difference does it really make if it asks for a DS2? Plug it in and get to playing and stop whining.[/quote]

You didn't really understand where I was going... the fact that the buttons on the DS2 controller are pressure sensitive can sometimes cause overcorrection and can push Rock over the edge of a cliff if you're not careful. It's pretty shitty.

... you know I'm about to say fuck it and just play them on emulator, it's really starting to be to much hassle for the money.

You screwed up royal Capcom.

[quote name='Alpha2']... you know I'm about to say shaq-fu it and just play them on emulator, it's really starting to be to much hassle for the money.

You screwed up royal Capcom.[/quote]

You buy cube version! UG TOG! BUY CUBE VERSION!

MAN MAKE FIRE COOK MEAT

After beating MM1 (for the first time, might I add.. I know.. sheltered little emo kid) I'm going to make a new avatar.. you people are going to fucking LOVE IT...

How could you overcorrect because of analog buttons? It's not like the game uses them in an analog way, it just a press after a certain threshold of pressure. Also, what's the deal with the screen? Some people are saying it's full on ps2, others not. How much is cropped and how is it cropped, black bars?

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']How could you overcorrect because of analog buttons? It's not like the game uses them in an analog way, it just a press after a certain threshold of pressure. Also, what's the deal with the screen? Some people are saying it's full on ps2, others not. How much is cropped and how is it cropped, black bars?[/quote]

I'd say about 1 inch bars on each side.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Does either game give you option to change the control layout?

If not, then What-The-Shaq-Fu!!!1![/quote]

Nope... but I really got used to the controls...

[quote name='redgopher'] You buy cube version! UG TOG! BUY CUBE VERSION!

MAN MAKE FIRE COOK MEAT[/quote]

I'm all for supporting the Cube but I'm not going to blow 30 bucks on a game that I'm going to be frustrated with the controls on. I'd rather save it for RE4 and play these games for free with whatever controll set up I want.

[quote name='punqsux']so, thus far we have 4 people who have played the ps2 version, 2 have black bars and 2 do not....what the shaq-fu?[/quote]

the ps2 version defintaley has those bars on the edges of the screen some people might not notice it. If someone has the ps2 version try playing airman's stage in mm2, i find that's where there are most noticable.

The whole "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY CHANGED JUMP AND SHOOT!!!!!!!!" is really lame. Just try it. After about 10 minutes it doesn't even matter, just trust me on this. Also, on my friend's PS2, I've noticed a lot of slowdown especially in 7. Anyone else notice this?

[quote name='Wshakspear']looking around the net, apparently you can unlock the songs to play while your looking through the special stuff....Im just confused why they wouldnt have left that option on for the cube version[/quote]

It's because they didn't have ALL of the song remixes. You can unlock some, but since they couldn't fit all of the remixes on the Cube disc, they decided to leave it off of Navi mode altogether. Yes, that doesn't make much sense.

Read this thread off the IGN boards, it's got 2 replies from the porting company.

http://boards.ign.com/Mega_Man/b6002/61079163/?6

In all, they did a terrible job by deciding to port the PSX ports! (not even the improved Saturn version of MM 8) Yes, it does boggle the mind how you're porting 6 NES games, 1 SNES game, and 1 PSX game and still can't manage to get it under 1.5 gigs (The PS2 full version is 3.5 gigs! insane!)

Ah well. I'll get the Cube version when it goes budget.

I don't think you understand what you're talking about, at least control wise.

The digital pad? IS NOT ANALOG. This is why it is called a digital pad. Only the buttons on the PS2 Dual Shock are analog. Personally, I find the PS2 controller much better than the GC, not only for the d-pad, but also the non-retarded button switching.

I dunno about you, but my PS2 version fulls up 98% of my TV, with tiny black bars on the left and right sides of the screen. They are barely noticeable. Then again, I have an old TV.

I have noticed a vague shimmering to the PS2 graphics, but only in one place (the background in Bomb Man's level in MM1.) Otherwise, it looks just like a NES. Some people find the line doubled interlacing annoying. I don't notice it, and the GC version does the same thing.

Oh, and I dig the ingame music, which is why I didn't purchase the GC one (which I originally preordered.) That alone puts the PS2 version far, far over top.

The interview(s) are probably better than the cartoon, but meh overall.

Here's the thing, all the buttons on a Dual Shock 2 ahd a level of anolog sensitivity. if you;ve ever played MGS2, when you;re hiding in the lockers you can acttually move slightly with the Dpad, its not as pronounced as the sticks but it does work. But the thing is for games that dont require sensitivity it should only have and on/off functionality.

But depending on the player they may assume they have to press hard to effect movment so if you just tap the controller you may find yourself more more than you expected.

But whatever, this is me not caring so much.
screwit.jpg

if I want megaman Remixes I'll go to OCremix.org.

[quote name='discoalucard']I don't think you understand what you're talking about, at least control wise.

The digital pad? IS NOT ANALOG. This is why it is called a digital pad. Only the buttons on the PS2 Dual Shock are analog. Personally, I find the PS2 controller much better than the GC, not only for the d-pad, but also the non-retarded button switching.

I dunno about you, but my PS2 version fulls up 98% of my TV, with tiny black bars on the left and right sides of the screen. They are barely noticeable. Then again, I have an old TV.

I have noticed a vague shimmering to the PS2 graphics, but only in one place (the background in Bomb Man's level in MM1.) Otherwise, it looks just like a NES. Some people find the line doubled interlacing annoying. I don't notice it, and the GC version does the same thing.

Oh, and I dig the ingame music, which is why I didn't purchase the GC one (which I originally preordered.) That alone puts the PS2 version far, far over top.

The interview(s) are probably better than the cartoon, but meh overall.[/quote]

Pop in Grand Theft Auto and steer with the d-pad. It's pressure sensitive. You're a dumbass.

Tried both. Black bars with ps2 (component cables into a Sony Vega), no black bars with the Cube (s-video, same tv)

Can't stand the GCN config, sticking with ps2 . . .

Who cares if it is pressure sensitive - do you lack the dexterity to NOT hit the d-pad when you don't intend to?

Also the reviews from ign and gamespot say that the graphics are the same for both versions.

Anyway, this was always going to be a budget title for me so until then...

I own the PS2 version and despite a few graphical glitches which I seem to remember plagued the NES version, I see no problems and the controls have not hindered my play at all (I completed MM1 and MM2 so far). The remix music btw is great.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='trustcompany1013']once again...punqsux avoiding my post :roll:[/quote]

no your post was not vaoided, but 1 person saying it takes up the whole screen, and 1 person saying it dosent is FAR from clarification...[/quote]

FREE AFTER REBATE! Alright!!!

[quote name='redgopher']After beating MM1 (for the first time, might I add.. I know.. sheltered little emo kid) I'm going to make a new avatar.. you people are going to shaq-fuing LOVE IT...[/quote]

And another thing you better not change your goddam avatar, that fatass gopher cracks me up. Ah, and since you appreciate praise; thanks for making this thread, I was planning on getting the GC version anyway, and now I'm certain that it's the right choice.

I got the GC version . . . it plays well. I agree that the button layout is messed up . . . but I adjusted after some play.

I can't compare with PS2, but the main reason I got the GC is the extra content. From what I understand the GC has G4's Icons episode on Megaman (saw it on TV) which is a great bonus! I don't care about the MM cartoon.

Of course, now I have to beat MM8 to get the bonus.

I should get the PS2 version and compare . . . picked up the game for $15.59 with a Target raincheck (got the raincheck right before I got the game) :shock:

To anyone who says the GCN control scheme doesn't matter:

Of course it does! To say that it doesn't or that you'll get used to it is nieve. Look at your thumb, you'll see that with the original NES/PS2 configuration, the knuckle of your thumb is on jump and the tip of it is on shoot. This allows for quick presses of the shoot button, but it also makes it easier to charge your shots. With the tip of your thumb depressed, you can still use the knuckle to jump with accuracy. When you flip it around, it's nearly impossible to hold a charge and rapidly jump. Same thing goes for Jumping+shooting, it just isn't configured to the human thumb!

Bottom line: they screwed this collection up royally (something that they really had to try to do). If they wanted this configuration as the DEFAULT config, fine...but at least give the option to change it. It still boggles my mind as to why they reversed it (it's a compilation of classic games, with a new control scheme on ONE system!?. I read a good analogy to this on an ign board: "Imagine if you got in your car and the accelerator and break were switched." It's that big of a deal, and I'll stick to the "closer-to-the-original" PS2 version.

I own the PS2 version and other than the black bars on the sides, I have had absolutely none of the issues mentioned. The dual shock controls like a charm. The game looks fantasitic for what it is.

If anyone thinks the visuals looked jagged, try adjusting your TV's sharpness/detail (especially if you are using an S-video cable).

I'm guessing the idiotic control change on the GCN version is due to Nintendo's idiotic policy where the 'action' button has got to be the A button. This already made MGS:TS more confusing than it had to be, sad to see another game suffer because of it.

Here's my thoughts on the control scheme:

Yes. They screwed up. It should have been the other way around. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. The controls are far more responsive than the PS2, and you get used to them in no time (maybe after half a stage).

Besides, you get all those interviews and shit, and games that are really much more playable than on the PS2, where you get shitty controls and some episode of a bad cartoon that was on way back when (and, might I add, is also coming out on DVD... so just buy the damn DVD if you want to watch the cartoon).

Oh, and I'm going to keep my current avatar... the new one is just in my sig now :)

EDIT:

Besides, I do kind of feel good about playing these on a Nintendo platform, as ridiculous as that sounds. It just feels like "home" for Mega Man (at least the old ones). Even MM8, which I played for a bit on the PS1... it still feels better on the Cube.

Well, back to Mega Man 2.. holy shit, the music in the Wily stages is cool. And that's the original NES music, mind you. ;)

All the music in Mega Man 2 is good

By the way, I got the PS2 version, because I can't stand using the cube controller, unless I have to.

I know eventually I'm going to pick up the gc version as well, but for the time being, the game is not that bad on PS2. I like that the remixes are there, but the original music is good too.

My 2 cents here...I'm extremely disappointed, as I was really looking forward to this on the GC. But I'm going to have to pass now. I tried the controls at my friends house, and it's really awful. It's not something I think I can get used to.....to change the control system like that, and not give any way to change it...it's a crying shame. I have no interest in PS2 right now, maybe if I ever have a future sony console I'd pick the game up. The only thing that companies seem to care about is their bottom line....wondering if enough people are upset about this maybe they will change the controls and issue new discs? I know it's highly unlikely but I have heard of it happening...a friend told me he had EA send him a new disc of some year's Madden game because there was a bug that didn't allow him to import players from NCAA football. I already emailed Capcom letting them know how I feel, maybe if enough people do the same they will take action?

bread's done
Back