Wii Hardware/Accessories Questions Thread

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Thanks to SpazX for helping resize the images!

wiiwall6rp.jpg

(A fan made Wallpaper - Mucho Sexy)

[size=+2]Heart and Soul of The Wii[/size]

Here are the intial specs as gathered by Gamespot.com

wiispecs1cn.jpg

Capabilities:
The System will always be on and connected to the internet

As the Wii can play both DVDs and Gamecube disks, they slide into the front-loading slot at the front of the machine
nintendo-revolution.jpg

Here's an image of the top panel of the Wii, when opened revealing memory card slots and Gamecube Controller ports. As you can see, it has slots for two memory cards and four controllers. Wavebirds will be fully compatible with the Wii!
revknow_embed002.jpg

Expected Size Comparison Between the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360
xbox360_ps3_nintendo_revolution_size_small.jpg

[size=+2]Challenging Conventional Interface - The "Wiimote"[/size]

[size=+1]1. The Controller: [/size]
Capabilities:
- D-Pad
- 7 Buttons (1 Trigger on Bottom)
- Accelerometer & Motion Sensor Technology
- Laser Pointer Precision Like Feature
- Includes speaker on bottom for "Depth Sound"
- Power Source: Rumored Rechargable Battery

wiicontcompare6jd.jpg
nintendo-revolution-control.jpg

[size=+1]2. The Nunchaku Attachment:[/size]
Capabilities:
- Analogue Stick
- Two Triggers (At front of attachment)
- Connects to base of "Revmote" via Wire
- Accelerometer & Motion Sensor Technology
revcontroller-attachment.jpg

[size=+1]3. Possible Gamecube Shell + WiiRemote:[/size]
- Rumored to be bundled with the Wii
-
wii_shell.jpg

[quote name='botticus']That title definitely said 360 when I clicked on it ;)[/QUOTE]

OBJECTION!!!

Taps finger to forehead w/ smug look in face

You of all people, Detective Dick Gumshoe, should know you can't make such accusations without PROOF! ;)

[quote name='botticus']HOLD IT!!!

Does this look familiar?
[/QUOTE]

OBJECTION!

SLAMS DESK

That should not be admissable as I explictly told my witness NOT to give that to the police! I therefore demand that picture be stricken from the record!

[quote name='megaseadramon']Has it been confirmed if USB devices such as external hard drives will be able to be used as memory devices?[/QUOTE]

According to a CNN Article with Iwata about this issue...

[quote name='Article']The Revolution has 512 MB of flash memory, allowing for some initial storage space. The system also has a slot for SD memory cards, which are widely used in digital cameras and can hold a greater amount of data. Most importantly, Iwata mentioned, were the USB ports that are built into the Revolution "so practically any storage method can be used".[/QUOTE]

So far, yes. But we will have final confirmation at (no surprise) E3. Should this be the case, it's a clear win for consumers who can find the best deals to maximize their memory storage needs and budget as opposed to having only one option.

Anybody have pictures of the shell that will be used for traditional games? the buttons on there are only enough for NES, since the big button is A, which is the same as the little A button.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why does your CAG look like shit?[/QUOTE]
Haha.... because I was using Paint and Paint sucks at compression.

I don't understand how the slot-loading drive will accept standard DVD discs and GCN discs. My ibook has a slot loading drive and it specifically says not to put any disc in there that is not 'regular' sized disc.

It looks like the gcn games go in a tray or sperate slot between the front buttons just above the blue lit slot. I can't imagine how they would make it slot load both types because the gnc disks would move around right?

[quote name='munch']I don't understand how the slot-loading drive will accept standard DVD discs and GCN discs. My ibook has a slot loading drive and it specifically says not to put any disc in there that is not 'regular' sized disc.[/quote]

Nintendo is the motherfucking maker. They hold the power to everything, duh!

[quote name='phatbunbao']It looks like the gcn games go in a tray or sperate slot between the front buttons just above the blue lit slot. I can't imagine how they would make it slot load both types because the gnc disks would move around right?[/QUOTE]Nintendo's not usually the type to add unnecessary costs. :whistle2:k

As far as external storage, it'd be pretty bitchin if my ipod worked for it (all the kiddies have one too), even though I do have 1gb and 512mb SD cards as well. I have a good 19 or so gb on my ipod free though (that's a lot of NES and SNES games...).

There's nothing on the OS side required for the ipod to work as a hd right? I think it's internal and it's simply recognized as a USB mass storage device or external hd, so it shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='SpazX']As far as external storage, it'd be pretty bitchin if my ipod worked for it (all the kiddies have one too), [/QUOTE]

Further proof that Nintendo and Apple are in cahoots. ;)

With the price of memory falling as fast as it is now, I expect these costs to be pretty negligable by the time people actually need to buy external memory.

Wow, didn't know it was going to use standard SD cards for memory. That is damn nice. I'm a little surprised they are doing that since I figure the proprietary mem card format is generally a nice money maker. (You can probably guess I haven't been keeping up on Wii news.

I'd guess most games won't need even 1 MB for saves and small SD cards are freaking cheap. I picked up a 512MB one for $10 after rebate and saw another deal for the same size for $5 AR a week or two after that.

I just hope they get a nice library of games for the thing. Playing the older gen stuff isn't a big draw for me.

[quote name='wubb']Wow, didn't know it was going to use standard SD cards for memory. That is damn nice. I'm a little surprised they are doing that since I figure the proprietary mem card format is generally a nice money maker. (You can probably guess I haven't been keeping up on Wii news.[/QUOTE]

Again, it's all about empowering the consumer by taking removing as much control from the console creators as possible.

Consumers win because they can save money and make their own choices, Nintendo wins because they get positive PR (as opposed to MS and the flak they're getting about $100 for a 20 GB HDD).

[quote name='wubb']I'm a little surprised they are doing that since I figure the proprietary mem card format is generally a nice money maker.[/quote]
I don't know how much money is in it, but they could just make their own Nintendo-labeled SD cards as well (most brands of SD cards are manufactured by Toshiba, etc. and are just labeled differently).

I imagine they could have a partnership with Toshiba to release their own SD cards with a Nintendo label and also produce their game DVDs (I dunno who they get to manufacture their DVDs, but if they could get the same company to do both they could make more money).

[quote name='SpazX']I don't know how much money is in it, but they could just make their own Nintendo-labeled SD cards as well (most brands of SD cards are manufactured by Toshiba, etc. and are just labeled differently).

I imagine they could have a partnership with Toshiba to release their own SD cards with a Nintendo label and also produce their game DVDs (I dunno who they get to manufacture their DVDs, but if they could get the same company to do both they could make more money).[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, as Toshiba and Nintendo have a pretty close relation IIRC. If Nintendo didn't have 1st party peripherals, it wouldn't seem like a real Nintendo system. ;)

[quote name='Trakan']This thread is going to explode once we find out more info.

Stickied.[/QUOTE]

Yahoo! I got a stickied post!!! Thanks, Trakan. :D

I think the shell picture should have a disclaimer that the mockup cannot function as shown...

The Wii remote and the analog stick are in the same space. The same probably goes for the digital pad, but it could take up less space.

[quote name='iufoltzie']The Wii remote and the analog stick are in the same space. The same probably goes for the digital pad, but it could take up less space.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying - do you mean that if you use the shell you can't use the Wiimote's capabilities?

--OR--

That the position of the Wiimote within the shell will make using the D-Pad and analogue stick difficult?

If it's the former, Gamecube games won't have any Wii functionality anyways so it's not important.

If it's the latter, then I don't think there would be much problem as the control mechanisms should be close enough that the thumbs won't have to stretch much farther than they did originally, and raised high enough so that they are still tactile.

I think he's saying that the mock-up of the shell is not possible, based on where the buttons and all that are. i.e. the empty space where the remote would fit in could not be empty because the contacts for the D-pad would have to be there or something along those lines. Which is all irrelevant since it's a fan-made mock-up.

Also AFAIK the mock-up shows the remote as being larger than it actually is in comparison to the GC controller. Good as an illustration though I guess. :p

[quote name='SpazX']Also AFAIK the mock-up shows the remote as being larger than it actually is in comparison to the GC controller. Good as an illustration though I guess. :p[/QUOTE]

Updated the OP to include that note - thanx SpazX.

[quote name='SpazX']I googled and this is the page that I oroginally saw for the size comparison: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/694/694785p1.html

You can include that picture if you want.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, updated the OP again.

I feel kinda bad for loading the OP with so many pictures as it'll be more difficult for those w/o broadband to open up the first page of discussion.

But the pictures are all so pretty!

[quote name='Ecofreak']Thanks, updated the OP again.

I feel kinda bad for loading the OP with so many pictures as it'll be more difficult for those w/o broadband to open up the first page of discussion.

But the pictures are all so pretty![/QUOTE]
Thumbnail the big ones?

Here, I resized the big ones and put them on imageshack:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6964/wiiwall6rp.jpg - wallpaper image

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/8756/wiispecs1cn.jpg - Wii specs

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/4065/wiicontcompare6jd.jpg - Controller size comparison

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/2245/wiicont6ju.jpg - controller shell mock-up

That took their sizes down 10-20kb each, so that would help some. Might wanna just thumbnail the original specs image though since it's a little fuzzier resized.

And I have a question, if the Wii is fully compatible with wavebirds does that mean with or without the receivers plugged in? It would be cool of they could just radio straight to the Wii :p.

[quote name='SpazX']And I have a question, if the Wii is fully compatible with wavebirds does that mean with or without the receivers plugged in? It would be cool of they could just radio straight to the Wii :p.[/QUOTE]

Thank you kindly for the smaller images. Added credit for you at the top of the OP. :)

Also, I don't know about the Wavebird thing. Although, IIRC, you would need the receiver.

[quote name='botticus']I think he's saying that the mock-up of the shell is not possible, based on where the buttons and all that are. i.e. the empty space where the remote would fit in could not be empty because the contacts for the D-pad would have to be there or something along those lines. Which is all irrelevant since it's a fan-made mock-up.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the delay, but yes this was the point I was trying to make. The IGN or fan shells arent possible, but that idea isnt a bad one... in fact just add a Z2 button and widen the controller enough so the D-pad and second analog stick arent impacted. Done.

As I've said on another thread I can think of at least one idea that would be great to use the shell + remote features. A Mario Kart where the shell is held with two hands and turned like a steering wheel. The analog sticks could be used to direct shells or other weapons...

[quote name='munch']I don't understand how the slot-loading drive will accept standard DVD discs and GCN discs. My ibook has a slot loading drive and it specifically says not to put any disc in there that is not 'regular' sized disc.[/quote]
"The Revolution's slot-loading drive is unbelievably gorgeous when viewed up close. It really is striking. The drive is not just illuminated, but surrounded by a sleek blue light, and it accepts both GameCube Optical Discs and new 12cm discs designed specifically for Revolution. The interesting bit is that the drive easily takes both sizes without any fuss. Gamers just drop any GCN or Revolution title in and it automatically works. Nintendo indicated that the drive is one of the first to intuitively do that." -IGN

Here's the link:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617195p1.html

Less than 10 hours now.... how I am going to sleep, I'm so excited.

Oh yes, the Wii Connection 24 or something. Interesting and I'm glad it doesn't consume much power from an Ecofreakish POV.

Nintendo will take all my money this generation. DS lite and wii will be my main drain on my bank account.

[quote name='2poor']Nintendo will take all my money this generation. DS lite and wii will be my main drain on my bank account.[/QUOTE]

Word. Gotta start saving up and find someone to sell my kidney to.

Any word on what’s under the flap on the front of the system? Common sense would dictate that it would probably house the SD slot, but what else?

bread's done
Back