Anybody watch 'Rockstar Supernova'?

Xevious

CAGiversary!
I found myself enjoying that show last night.

I thought all the guys sucked though. There were 3 girls I thought did well: The 1st one who sang the Who's Pinball Wizard, The scary chick who sang Nirvana and the chick who sang the Melissa Etheridge song.

Yeah, it's Rockstar, what's up with them trying Coldplay and other crap right outta the gate? You gotta come to rock. Seriously.

Personally I'd have done "Freak of the Week", it fits, and Butch woulda got a kick out of it if nothing else.

"What to do when they're all lookin' at you, 'cause you're the freak of the week, 'cause you're on the T.V."

No, but seriously, I'd have done "Rebel Rebel" or "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down" or something to that effect.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Decent.. but it really seems that some of the song choices were pretty poor.[/quote]

I agree. I liked Pinball Wizard but overall the choices were not great. The worst was the Coldplay song- That dude who sang that song should of figured out that he was deal with 3 hard rockers not too mention Dave Navarro.

Worst was easily the guy who done The Police "Roxanne". The chick who done Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love"

I missed it but I'm watching it tonight. I mean now.

EDIT: maybe not since it seems like there's no point after i missed it last night....next week i guess

I really can't see any of the contestants fitting in well with a bunch of 40-something rockers. I hope they pick the hottest chick and run with it.

I watched it until some Swedish guy came out, and I thought he was going to rock and rock hard, and he played some whiny emo song, and then I changed the channel.

He was the dude who came on after the chick sang somebody to love... she was kinda hot.

[quote name='radjago']I really can't see any of the contestants fitting in well with a bunch of 40-something rockers. I hope they pick the hottest chick and run with it.[/QUOTE]
It's funny though, what's that one chick, like 4'11"?

That dude that sang the Duran Duran song....It was hard for me to watch. He was like a cow who got lost and absentmindly walked into a slaughterhouse.

[quote name='ryanbph']I watched it last night. Much better group of singers compared to last years show.[/QUOTE]

actually, i thought it was the other way around. none of the people from this show really stood out much. (except maybe the freaky chick who sang nirvana.)

Saw it tonight. During the guy who sang Duran Duran, everyone just looked confused.

Didn't catch it last night, but the kid who apparantly kid well last night (he went last) wears way too much makeup and is really cocky.

That dude that sang the Duran Duran song....It was hard for me to watch. He was like a cow who got lost and absentmindly walked into a slaughterhouse.

I agree 100% Watching Tommy Lee's face while the dude was singing was priceless. You have the former bass player for Metallica in the band for goodness sake, play something with some balls. His answer for singing Coldplay on the last show was complete crap, something about being "an artist", screw that, be a rocker!

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']actually, i thought it was the other way around. none of the people from this show really stood out much. (except maybe the freaky chick who sang nirvana.)[/QUOTE]
The first episode for last years show was horrible, and the jd kid and IIRC Marty didn't really dominate to after midway thru the season. IMO there were only 1 or 2 bad performers the other night. Last year about 1/2 of them were bad.

Im still in love with the chick from last year that had the dreds. Yum......

Agreed as some above statements. Tommy Lee and Jason Newsted in the band and people wanna sing weaksauce musci. This is a band where you need to come out swinging and go the hard route.

As for the songs sung on the first show. They had a set list to choose from I believe, so the producers are to blame for the non rocking selections. Now the dude that followed up the 2nd night with Duran Duran was just a dumb ass. Or OTOH it could simply be that this is the type of music he does and didn't want to change to make the band. So they just weren't a good fit. (But then why was he even on the show... Whatever.)

[quote name='radjago']Also, in the "Hey, why didn't you check first?" category, http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1535219/20060627/index.jhtml?headlines=true[/QUOTE]

"There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and resolve an issue, and maybe we can come to [a resolution] that works for everyone." Mizhir went on to rub his fingers together and make a 'kaching kaching' noise.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']actually, i thought it was the other way around. none of the people from this show really stood out much. (except maybe the freaky chick who sang nirvana.)[/QUOTE]

Didn't see her perform the first night, but after seeing her last night she's my top pick so far.

[quote name='chakan']Storm(who sang the Pinball Wizard last episode)used to play every Wednesday at Dante's where I live. It doesn't really come across on TV that she's 6ft tall. She has a great stage presence, and has the rock 'n' roll snarl down.

She can kick your ass and she's fucking hot.

Safe for work gallery:
http://www.danteslive.com/pics/snapshots/Storm/index.htm
NSFW gallery:
http://www.domela.com/photos_people/projects_storm/080_s08.htm[/quote]

Storm is actually one of my favorites. Although that could change - It all depends on the song selection.

I enjoyed the INXS one so much last year that I was pumped to watch this. It's still entertaining, but it's harder to judge since we haven't heard a Supernova song yet. I think we can get a pretty good idea from who's in it, but it's still different since they're not going to be replacing an established lead singer.

It's too early to pick favorite, but it should be a fine ride.

And I like Duran Duran quite a bit, but it certainly wouldn't be my answer to "now let's see you rock" coming someone who had been in Metallica. Yeeesh.

Thoughts...

Aside from Storm giving me an erection that could pierce steel plate, and the last dude rockin' it out to the Killers, the rest of the show was a big whu-tee-eff?

Psychodame's Cash was pretty sweet. I didn't like it at first, but the whole bellydancing middle-eastern vibe was mesmerizing.

And oh man...did Chesty McShorty totally kill herself.
B000003TAY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
PWN'T! I was like, "You just pulled a stupid!"

I am never watching this show ever again and not going to listen to anything they put out. I will partly agree with you Banky but the song choices they are given are just ridiculous...Creed fucking Creed. The rendition of Ring of Fire was a disgrace.

[quote name='flowery']I am never watching this show ever again and not going to listen to anything they put out. I will partly agree with you Banky but the song choices they are given are just ridiculous...Creed fucking Creed. The rendition of Ring of Fire was a disgrace.[/quote]

A disgrace?

Her cover was awesome.

I have to say the freaky chick and Storm are my favorites so far. I could definitely see them heading the band. Some of the other people I couldn't stand to listen to for 3 songs let alone a whole album.

What's with many of the chicks deciding to perform in costume? To me the guys in the band don't seem the type to want a lead singer who is going to want to make a few dozen costume changes per show. I could be wrong, but that's not what I'd guess they are looking for.

And totally agree on the songs they are giving them to choose from. Kind of silly that the guys just want to hear them do hard rocking stuff, but they are forcing them to do so many songs that don't fit. (Including different styles for TV ratings I suppose?)

Although I disagree on the version of Ring of Fire. It's ballsy to put your own spin on a classic and I thought it worked out well.

See I am very biased since I am a big fan of Johnny Cash and older country. This is the hard thing about cover songs to me I guess.

I watched this at a friends house tonight who's tv was under the control of his mom at the time. I thought there were a few people that could sing decently well but didnt fit in with the songs they picked. The rest of them were crap-tastic.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']

And oh man...did Chesty McShorty totally kill herself.
B000003TAY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
[/spoiler][/quote]

Ha Ha! Chesty McShorty!!! HA HA HA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You make her sound like a burger they sell at McDonalds....

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']damn storm reports pre-empted everything on tv tonight, so i missed it.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Got to see the first two songs and then some yahoo on the news repeating the same damn thing for the rest of the hour.

Hopefully the performances will be on the website today like they did last year. Haven't had a chance to check yet.

I think Magni is the best overall guy on there, he already looks like he's fronting the band. That good.

Chris wasn't great...but wha? They let Zayra stay? She can barely sing the songs! They must be voting with their cocks or something...

And man...Chesty McShorty really busted it out tonight. Not a big Evanescence fan, but that gave me chills in some spots. What a powerful vocal. She earned another week.

I like one Chesty McShorty, Some large fries and a large coke. She gave me the shits yesterday but now I think I can handle her.

Oh yeah, I hated that Puerto Rican dingbat. She is fiery and stupid. A bad combination!

I say half of them can't sing and don't even deserve to be up there. If only I'd known about the tryouts sooner I would've headed up to Chicago and stomped them. Seriously, if that's the best of the best they could find, I'd have had a good shot at final 5 or something.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
Chris wasn't great...but wha? They let Zayra stay? She can barely sing the songs! They must be voting with their cocks or something...

And man...Chesty McShorty really busted it out tonight. Not a big Evanescence fan, but that gave me chills in some spots. What a powerful vocal. She earned another week.
[/quote]

yeah, while he sucked the first week, this weeks performances didn't deserve him to get the axe

First off...how hardcore is Dilana to take a Cranberries song and rock it like that? Loved it.

I feel like Magni finally showed up this week, first time I've actually liked a performance of his and could see him fronting the band.

As for the rest of the show...what a bunch of crap:

I wish that assfase Josh would fall off the stage. Singing Come As You Are out of the side of his face with a wink and a smile? Shame on him.

I love chicks with guitars, but Jenny had no business performing like that for a hard rock band. Bad choice, prepare to sing again tomorrow.

Really surprised by Toby's song choice/arrangement. He's been my favorite up til now, but that put him in jeopardy.

I'm picking Lukas or Dilana for the encore tomorrow and Jenny or Zayra to go home.

However, I have to disagree with Supernova on two counts:

1. Zayra sucks. That did NOT deserve praise, and yes, she's got power, she still sings like she's got a mouth full of marbles and refuses to "plant her foot and rock out."

2. Dana was great. She brought it and the guys still weren't having it. I think they have this mild-child mentality as far as she goes now and I don't think there's much she can do to change it at this point.

Dilana is my favorite. I think she is pulling ahead of the cattle.

I still hate the puerto rican chick. However, She did a great job with that REM song (and this is coming from a guy who loathes R.E.M) but she has no clue what this band is about.

I like Dana but she kinda lacks a killer instinct. Picking a Bon Jovi song was a bad choice. She needs to do something like Deep Purple's Highway Star or some shit. fuck that pansy rock bullshit.

I like Iceland dude but I'm not really convinced that he's got what it takes. I thought that STP song was so-so.

Jenny was boring. So was that Australian dude. He needs to rock his cock out and he's hasn't done that.

Lukas did great. In fact, it was his best preformance. He looks like a freak though....

edit: I also like Storm's Cars cover. Well done...

fairly good show. I agree that the puerto rican chick did her best performance yet. Dana is on the wrong show, she should be on americain idol or the one, as she has a great voice but is not a rocker. The iceland dude showed flashes of being great. Lukas was solid as usual, but I wonder if the band is going in the screetching voice sound direction. Diliana sounded great, but her jumping around like she was a ninja annoyed me.

[quote name='ryanbph']Diliana sounded great, but her jumping around like she was a ninja annoyed me.[/quote]
Yeah...I dont care for the jumping around but I will admit her energy is infectious.

Overall, its a decent show!

I wish that assface Josh had gone this week, all smirking and mugging it up and fucking up the lyrics of Nirvana songs, but Jenny was leaving sooner or later so whatever.

i think i was wrong before about the people not being as good as last year. i forgot how much crap you had to go through to get to the good ones. after having watched a few more shows, i think there are some good singers on there.

i think the problem i have with the show isn't the singers, it's the band. inxs had a legitimate reason for doing the show. their lead singer died. now whether they just couldn't find anyone to replace him, or they wanted to give a shot to an unknown, it worked.

but this years just seems like either a marketing campaign, or tommy lee's latest grab for publicity. (even the name supernova just to me seems like it came staight out of a marketing meeting) gilby and jason actually seem like they want to find a singer, but tommy acts like the show is about him. it's like he thinks "well, i'm not in motely crue anymore, not married to pamela anderson, got no sex tapes out, my last reality show failed. i need something to get me some publicity. hey, that rockstar show worked pretty well for inxs, maybe i should grab a couple musicians and see if it works for me."

anyway, that's just my $ .02

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']
but this years just seems like either a marketing campaign, or tommy lee's latest grab for publicity. (even the name supernova just to me seems like it came staight out of a marketing meeting) gilby and jason actually seem like they want to find a singer, but tommy acts like the show is about him. it's like he thinks "well, i'm not in motely crue anymore, not married to pamela anderson, got no sex tapes out, my last reality show failed. i need something to get me some publicity. hey, that rockstar show worked pretty well for inxs, maybe i should grab a couple musicians and see if it works for me."

anyway, that's just my $ .02[/QUOTE]

Its interesting what you wrote but I do have some counter-points to your argument

1. He did not authorize the sex tapes to be leaked into public. Those tapes were stolen from his house.
2. He did not have any pre-emptive motive to beat up Pamela Anderson; It was done in the heat of passion.
3. He was indirectly, NOT directly involved the boy drowning in his pool.

The three things listed above were done by Tommy but not for the purpose of getting media attention. They were done because he is stupid. I can't really call Tommy Lee a publicity-whore because most of the news worthy items about him where events that he did not want leaked out in public.

-------
I will say this though (and this is a little off-topic). He is the softest out of the three. Jason plays the heaviest rock (Metallica/Voivod/Flotsom & Jetsom), Gilby is next in terms of heavyness (Kill for Thrills, Guns-N-Roses, various solo albums) and Tommy Lee comes last in comparsion (Motley Crue started to mellow out a lot after 'Shout at the Devil')

bread's done
Back