The Orange Box - Out Now

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

The Orange Box delivers five innovative games from Valve®, creators of the blockbuster Half-Life franchise, in one action-packed box. The Orange Box includes Half-Life® 2: Episode Two, Portal™ and Team Fortress® 2 in addition to full versions of the award-winning Half-Life® 2 and Half-Life® 2: Episode One for an engrossing first-person action experience.
  • Five games, one orange box: The Orange Box is the ultimate collection of innovative action games for the console, and an amazing introduction to the Half-Lifeseries for console gamers.
  • Epic storyline: Half-Life 2: Episode Two takes you deeper into one of the best-known stories in gaming, following the desperate struggle of Gordon Freeman against the mysterious Combine. In this episode, you must leave the confines of City 17 for the first time and face even greater dangers beyond the city walls.
  • Redefining action: Portal delivers an innovative new action gaming experience. Arming you with a portal gun that lets you create portals from one location to another with the press of a button, Portal will forever change the way that you interact with your environment.
  • World-class multiplayer: Team Fortress 2 is the sequel to the granddaddy of role-based multiplayer action games. Featuring nine distinct roles—Heavy, Spy, Scout, Demoman, Engineer, Medic, Sniper, Soldier, and Pyro—Team Fortress 2 is one of this year’s most anticipated multiplayer games for any platform.

CAG Game Discussions:
1170869331.jpg
Update 9/11: Achievment List up

http://www.achieve360points.com/game/theorangebox/

Update 6/29: E3 Montage

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2OKA2an0E[/media] High Res: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13851/HalfLife-2-The-Orange-Box-E3-Montage/
Update 9/29:

RewiredMind managed to take a rather intersting snap of the new Half Life 2 menu screen. You can take a look at the screen below and as you will see it looks like the new Half Life game for the 360 will come as a 5 pack.

The menu shows that the following games have all been crammed onto a single DVD; Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Episode 1, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortess II.

If this is true then it will mean that it would be an absolute baragin even with a full £49 price tag slapped on it. This hasn't been confirmed so take a look at the snap below with a grain of salt, but as soon as Valve release any statments or info. regarding the new game we'll let you know if its true or not.
http://360monster.com/newspost.php?id=0000001271
halflive2-pack.jpg

...Half-Life 2: Ep 2 wlil ship for Xbox 360 and PS3 simultaneously with the PC. The console games will basically include all of the HL2 back content, so you'll get everything on there that you can get on the PC. Who expected all this Valve news?

...For whoever asked in the comments, from what I understood the console versions of HL2: Episode 2 will contain all things Half-Life 2, including CS: Source, Team Fortress 2 and Portal. Will amend that info if anything changes.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153984.html

The good news just keeps pouring in for us X360 owners...

Update 7/19: Trailers
Portal Trailer:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11384/HalfLife-2-Portal-Teaser-Trailer-in-High-Definition/

or

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/830/830467/vids_1.html

TeamFortress pic:

team-fortress-2-brotherhood-of-arms-20060714032413400.jpg

TF2 Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhJN_Xl6Pkw

Looks awesome, reminds me of The Incredibles...:drool:

I wish they would wait a while and put Ep3 on there too so it's the true total package. Oh well, TF2 might be enough to warrant buying this and 12 months of XBL

Valve founder Gabe Newell dropped a number of bombshells regarding Half-Life 2: Episode Two at EA’s summer press event. Newell revealed that the vaunted PC first-person shooter franchise is going to arrive on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and that the PC and console versions will ship with not only a new single-player game called Portals, but also with Team Fortress 2, the ambitious multiplayer game that Valve tried to develop in the late 90s but that quietly disappeared later on.

Half-Life 2 fans are already aware of the episodic content that Valve is producing, in place of a Half-Life 3. Episode One, the first chapter, was released earlier this summer to great acclaim. Well, Episode Two won’t just continue the story of Gordon Freeman, Alyx Vance, and the rest of humanity battling the alien Combine for control of Earth.

For one, Valve is planning to release Episode Two simultaneously on the PC, Xbox 360, and the PlayStation 3. And it wouldn’t make sense to give the console players Episode 2, which is essentially the middle of the story, so the console versions of Episode Two will also include Half-Life 2, as well as Episode One. That’s right, both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 players will be able to get their hands on the entire Half-Life 2 saga in one package.

In addition to that bombshell, Newell revealed that all versions of Episode Two will ship with a separate single-player game called Portals. This is something of an insanely inspired puzzle game that takes advantage of the Source engine, judging from the hilarious trailer that Newell showed. The trailer took the form of a training video for a new employee of an advanced corporation in the Half-Life 2 universe.

The video shows a diagram and explains that as an employee of this company, you may have to find the emergency exit to a certain room. However, there are often obstacles in your way, like a gaping chasm. No problem, because all you need to use is your Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device to create dimensional doorways that let you mess with reality. For example, if there’s gaping chasm between you and your objective, just shoot a portal on the far side of the room, then shoot a portal open on your side, then enter the portal. You’ll instantly transport from one side of the room to the next by walking through the portal (you’ll even see yourself going through the portal).

That’s the simplest example of how to use the portal gun. In other situations, you may be under fire by a gun droid. So all you need to do is shoot a portal open over the gun, then shoot a portal open beneath a crate, then watch the crate fall through the hole and crush the gun. It gets even crazier, and the diagrams shown in the trailer showed some incredibly crazy things that you can attempt, like creating a series of portals so that you’re constantly chasing yourself. Some of the puzzles sound like they’ll be “impossible,” so the challenge will be to figure out how to use the portal gun.

This promises to be an incredibly puzzle-style first-person experience, which Newell says is part of the goal. “We wanted to take physics out of this domain as a tool that lets you bounce grenades around to how can we really change the game experience for our customers,” he said.

Newell then dropped an even bigger bombshell by showing off Team Fortress 2. Those familiar with Valve’s history know that Team Fortress 2 was an ambitious multiplayer action game that was supposed to come out after the original Half-Life. However, the game quietly disappeared after years of development, and it was assumed that Valve dropped the project.

Well, Team Fortress 2 is back and will be included with Episode Two, and it looks like nothing else on the market. Newell explained that Valve wanted to make this action game distinct, so the graphics (which use the Source engine) look like a Pixar animated movie. To reinforce this, the carious character classes in the game look like cartoon caricatures. These include the Medic with the huge needle or the Demoman with the sticks of explosives. Other classes include the Heavy, the Spy, the Scout, the Engineer, the Sniper, the Soldier, and the Pyro. Newell says that the goal with Team Fortress 2 is to create “the best looking and best-playing class-based multiplayer game.” Team Fortress 2 is certainly unique in appearance, so we’ll see how it plays.

Valve will release more information about Episode Two and all this new content throughout the fall, and more announcements will be revealed as the year goes on. We’ll obviously keep a close eye on it, so make sure to check back with us for more details.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/halflife2episode2/news.html?sid=6154006

Sounds really good.

I have been saying since the Xbox release that if they released Source I wouldn't play any other FPS. If this is true then it's CS: Source and TF2 for me and I'm selling every other shooter I own.

:rofl: TF2? Yeah fucking right. No way.

Sad that CS:S and "TF2" (snicker) get in there, but DoD:S doesn't. I guess maybe they'd want to release that seperately.

Unfortunate, since DoD:S is the best add-on of the three...with CS:S sucking and TF2 not existing.

[quote name='jagwire1141']I wish they would wait a while and put Ep3 on there too so it's the true total package. Oh well, TF2 might be enough to warrant buying this and 12 months of XBL[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Maybe Episode 3 will be a heavily-hyped XBL download though.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Just when I was about to buy the Xbox version, now I can get the superior 360 version[/quote]

Yeah, that's why I eventually passed on the Xbox version during the CC sale. There were rumors right about then.

fuck Team Fortress 2. That was supposed to come out in 1999.

You want a real team fortress source, www.fortress-forever.com. This TF2 isn't even the same thing as the original, it doesn't deserve the TF name. fucking Gabe. Gabe's a fatass jerk. He played in a server I worked at once (it was him, the WONID was his WONID).

OK, maybe i'm a bit (a lot) bitter, but still. As long as the core gameplay of TF remains the same, cool. Team Fortress was the absolute best way to kill a weekend for the past three or four years. 2Fort.. Well.. Rock2.. so many, many others.

I need screenshots asap, please.

While i'm extremely pissed about TF2's delay of 7 years, I'm all about HL2 and CS:S coming to the 360 and being able to play over live. Impliment mouse and keyboard support and hell yes.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
Unfortunate, since DoD:S is the best add-on of the three...with CS:S sucking and TF2 not existing.[/quote]
Uhh, I think you have it backwards there. DoD:S better than CS????

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Uhh, I think you have it backwards there. DoD:S better than CS????[/QUOTE]

Yes. By far. DoD:S isn't as good as original "Goldsource" DoD (at least from a purely gameplay perspective), but between annoying and repetitive gameplay, unbalanced weapons, and the worst community of any game - ever...yuck.

And ditto on what Scorch said - just wait for Fortress Forever as far as the PC games are concerned.

[quote name='moojuice']Wait, so its HL2:E2, not HL2 right? Because if its HL2, *screams profanities*[/QUOTE]

Its Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike Source, and (I think) the Portals game is included in the console version too all in one game.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Its Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike Source, and (I think) the Portals game is included in the console version too all in one game.[/QUOTE]

Thats friggin sweet!

[quote name='Transformah']Can that all fit on one disk? Would it be multidisk DVD on the 360 and single Blueray disk for the PS3?[/QUOTE]
Well HL2 on xbox was just under 2GB, so I think they can pull it off if the others are multiplayer, and possibly even keep it to a single layerdvd.

Im wondering about the achievements, will there be 1000 distributed within all of them, just HL2, ect..

[quote name='dooddude']On IGN is now says EA has not confirmed CS:S for the 360 & PS3 versions of HL2. Either way Ill still buy HL2[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt be shocked if they did this so they could sell CS:S as its own game.

Damn all you people shouting, "I'd buy CS:S for 60.00 alone!!";)

[quote name='Scorch']fuck Team Fortress 2. That was supposed to come out in 1999.

You want a real team fortress source, www.fortress-forever.com. This TF2 isn't even the same thing as the original, it doesn't deserve the TF name. fucking Gabe. Gabe's a fatass jerk. He played in a server I worked at once (it was him, the WONID was his WONID).

OK, maybe i'm a bit (a lot) bitter, but still. As long as the core gameplay of TF remains the same, cool. Team Fortress was the absolute best way to kill a weekend for the past three or four years. 2Fort.. Well.. Rock2.. so many, many others.

I need screenshots asap, please.

While i'm extremely pissed about TF2's delay of 7 years, I'm all about HL2 and CS:S coming to the 360 and being able to play over live. Impliment mouse and keyboard support and hell yes.[/quote]
I completely agree with you here Scorch. I played TFC for nearly 3-4 years. I was in clans, made custom maps, knew all the secrets, etc. I remember gameplay videos of what was then TFC2 and I was blown away. That was back in what, 1998? It's now 2006 and the game still isn't out (and quietly faded away). It reminds me of DNF, however this one just pisses me off so much more.

I can't wait for this Half-Life 2 Bundle to hit the 360. Sure I own HL2 and HL2: Episode 1 for PC, but this Bundle has Counter Strike and Team Fortress, plus the new game Portals and HL2: Episode 2. I hope it only costs $60, and maybe they will release a LE version of the game that comes with a nice case and some extras for $70. Well we probably won't see this until Spring 07 but it's worth the wait, because 360 owners have a lot to look forward to starting next month with Dead Rising, Ninety-Nine Nights, Enchanted Arm, and Saint's Row, and good titles will pour in throughout the holiday season. It's a great time to be a 360 owner indeed.

[quote name='seanr1221']I wouldnt be shocked if they did this so they could sell CS:S as its own game.

Damn all you people shouting, "I'd buy CS:S for 60.00 alone!!";)[/QUOTE]

Meh, I still stand by what I said; I'll pay $60 for CS:S, whether or not it comes with an ass-load of single player content.

Who knows, maybe CS:S (and TF2 & portals) will come on a seperate disc that only comes with the $70 SE.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']Meh i have this on PC

Mouse aiming > controller[/QUOTE]
If by "greater" you mean "easier".

Here's a YouTube video of the portals in action.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-bifnO2p2k[/media]

That's a pretty well put together trailer. The game looks kinda generic right now, but I'm sure it will be better by the time it comes out.

[quote name='Kaijufan']That's a pretty well put together trailer. The game looks kinda generic right now, but I'm sure it will be better by the time it comes out.[/QUOTE]
I don't think that was the game, persay. The trailer was made to look like a science demonstration, and the "gameplay" matched.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']Meh i have this on PC

Mouse aiming > controller[/quote]

yeah FPS are just a lot better on PC

fucking sweet. i've always wanted to play source with the 360 controller. even though i'm the l33tpWnz0rSSS with a mouse and keyboard, i still prefer an xbox controller for an fps. now i just have to wait for another $300 360 from overstock, i knew i should've jumped on it then.

[quote name='danked']yeah FPS are just a lot better on PC[/QUOTE]
I could usually make a case for console FPS controls, but in the case of Portal, I'm not sure you could have the accuracy and responsiveness required for some of the puzzles on a gamepad.

Wow, this looks like a GREAT package. I only played HL2 briefly on my XBOX, and then I got a 360 and I traded it in. I may have to get it with ALL this content.

nice.

bread's done
Back