The Orange Box - Out Now

Is portal going to be multi-player at all? I'm not so sure that wasn't the actual game. It could be more of a puzzle type game not so different from the movie Cube, just with a bad ass toy to help you out. Either way, it looks sick. There's a hi-def version on teamxbox.com too if anyone's interested.

Ugh. While the graphics are cool, TF2 deserves something better, more realistic.
I spent years of my childhood playing tfc and it's still my favorite game of all time.
While part of me is glad its finally being released, I feel that it's a bit of a slap in the face to make it all cartoony.
I just hope they come out with a mod for realistic skins. I think if they made it more real world they could once again take back the title of best class based shooter.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-LKducBKw[/media]

First time I've ever seen what TeamFortress 2 looks like... Looks incredible.

http://www.rewiredmind.com/news/290906/halflife2360toshipasa5pack
RewiredMind managed to take a rather intersting snap of the new Half Life 2 menu screen. You can take a look at the screen below and as you will see it looks like the new Half Life game for the 360 will come as a 5 pack.

The menu shows that the following games have all been crammed onto a single DVD; Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Episode 1, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortess II.

If this is true then it will mean that it would be an absolute baragin even with a full £49 price tag slapped on it. This hasn't been confirmed so take a look at the snap below with a grain of salt, but as soon as Valve release any statments or info. regarding the new game we'll let you know if its true or not.

http://360monster.com/newspost.php?id=0000001271
halflive2-pack.jpg

All on one disc? Doubt it. Probobly just a demo for X06 but interesting nontheless.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']

[URL="http://360monster.com/newspost.php?id=0000001271"]http://360monster.com/newspost.php?id=0000001271

halflive2-pack.jpg

All on one disc? Doubt it. Probobly just a demo for X06 but interesting nontheless.
[/QUOTE]

it's actually very easily possible.

half life2, episode 1 and 2 all will be reusing alot from the original HL2 and all run together based off the same exact coding... probably the largest part of the package but about 75% or 50% of disc space taken...

from there we got Team fortress, which once again takes HL2 coding/engine so no need for much there. Textures are very basic and there won't be a need for many since it's not an epic story, but a multiplayer thingy.... about 15% of space

lastly portal... again, coding is HL2 engine and whatnot, just upgraded a bit for portal functionality. From there textures dont seem to be a biggie. It's an FPS Puzzle game, so not very much textures required (watch trailer for proof). again, probably 10% of the package...

in the end, it's entirely possible.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']Meh i have this on PC

Mouse aiming > controller[/QUOTE]

Not having to deal with fucking Steam ever again makes the 360 version awesome.

[quote name='jimfoley16']I'm very skeptical about this - it just seems to good to be true, particularly the CS:S bit......[/QUOTE]
They must have heard you.

No big loss, CS:S is crappy anyway. People will be more than busy with the other FIVE games you get. TF2 should be pretty good.

I'm getting the PC version because it would seem weird playing this stuff on my 360 (and no doubt it'll be cheaper), but it's good stuff regardless of platform.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/755/755917p1.html

January 16, 2007 - Since being revealed last year, fans have been eager to get a hold of Valve's Half-Life 2: Episode Two, which includes the games Portal and Team Fortress 2. When gamers race to the store in late summer for Episode Two, they'll be faced with two choices. Both Black Box and Orange Box editions will be made available, each with slightly different content.

The Black Box is only available on PC and includes Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal and Team Fortress 2. It retails for $39.99.

The Orange Box is available for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and includes Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episodes One and Two, Portal and Team Fortress. It retails for a modest $59.99.

In other words, The Black Box edition is for PC gamers who already have Half-Life 2 and it's first Episode. The Orange Box is meant for everyone else, so that they can experience the full breadth of the Half-Life 2 saga.

Anyone planning on picking this up? It doesn't sound like a bad deal.

[quote name='CAG 79']http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/755/755917p1.html

January 16, 2007 - Since being revealed last year, fans have been eager to get a hold of Valve's Half-Life 2: Episode Two, which includes the games Portal and Team Fortress 2. When gamers race to the store in late summer for Episode Two, they'll be faced with two choices. Both Black Box and Orange Box editions will be made available, each with slightly different content.

The Black Box is only available on PC and includes Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal and Team Fortress 2. It retails for $39.99.

The Orange Box is available for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and includes Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episodes One and Two, Portal and Team Fortress. It retails for a modest $59.99.

In other words, The Black Box edition is for PC gamers who already have Half-Life 2 and it's first Episode. The Orange Box is meant for everyone else, so that they can experience the full breadth of the Half-Life 2 saga.

Anyone planning on picking this up? It doesn't sound like a bad deal.[/QUOTE]

The orange box for the 360 is a great deal. I think the black box is a rip off. Anyway what happened to episodic content? When Episode 1 was released for $19.99 they made it sound like episode 2 would be out for another $19.99 Sounds like the episodic content idea died.

[quote name='Roufuss']Of 2008.[/QUOTE]

Published by: Electronic Arts

Developed by: Valve

Genre: First-Person Shooter
Release Date:
US: Q1 2007

MSRP: $59.99

Strange the Black version says Summer I guess IGN needs to update the date of the Orange version to Summer.

!!!!!!!!!!

If this ends up coming out in Q1 of 2007, I will cream my jeans.

I wonder if it will all be on one dvd? Also, I wonder how the achievements will work.

I would love to pick up the Orange Box edition, but I doubt it will actually be out till fall, and even then something in me doubts the 360 Orange box will be the same as the PC. They'll probably scrap Team Fortress 2 for the 360 and release it later on its own.

[quote name='Indiana']Published by: Electronic Arts

Developed by: Valve

Genre: First-Person Shooter
Release Date:
US: Q1 2007

MSRP: $59.99[/QUOTE]

The article you just quoted said late Summer and episodic content didn't die, they just jacked the price up because of Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

And 39.99 is a rip. Probably just going to pick up the 360 version after it drops in price (unless the PC version becomes more reasonable).

Damn it. I just bought Half 2 (XBOX) at Kmart for $2 & played it (very good game). Oh well, i'll get XBOX 360 version whenever it drop down $30 or less. I hated myself begin cheap ass gamer & i don't feel like buy game full MSRP.

I would get excited about this game, but it won't be out for at least 6 months, even though, by that time, Half Life 2 will look like garbage in comparison to BioShock.

I loved recently reading somewhere about the upcoming 360 version (Orange) and how the spokesperson from Valve pointed out that their publisher, EA, felt like they were giving us too much content.

Hell, EA could release ten packages in a row like this and it still wouldn't be sufficient recompense.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I loved recently reading somewhere about the upcoming 360 version (Orange) and how the spokesperson from Valve pointed out that their publisher, EA, felt like they were giving us too much content.
[/QUOTE]

That's Valve for you... extremely greedy.

And are we getting Team Fortress or TF 2? The Orange Box PR quote only says Team Fortress.

Kind of sucks for PC users who JUST want Episode 2, they are forced to pay $20 more to get Portal and TF 2. But I'm sure Valve will have Episode 2 for $20 through Steam, locking you in that way.

I'm not sure whether or not I'll get this since HL2 really felt like a bunch of random levels slapped together rather than a cohesive whole... but if I do, I'll get one of the console versions since I don't want to deal with Steam.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Damn it. I just bought Half 2 (XBOX) at Kmart for $2 & played it (very good game). Oh well, i'll get XBOX 360 version whenever it drop down $30 or less. I hated myself begin cheap ass gamer & i don't feel like buy game full MSRP.[/QUOTE]

you payed $2 you got a great deal on a good game. I figure if they give me all 5 games in the orange pack it will be worth $60. For those of us who already have HL2 it's still $15 per game. What a great deal...these things should sell well.

I don't care about Hlaf Life too much since I never got around to finishing the first game, but I've been meaning to play HL2 for a while and this package is too good of a deal... Team Fortress 2 and Portal are the big pulls for me though.

So, not Winter 2007 like Feb. or Mar., but Winter 2007 like November? If so, this game will have a much harder time of moving units with all the hot shit that will be out, especially Halo 3.

[quote name='psychobrawler']Confirmed delay until Winter 2007. Boo...[/QUOTE]

No suprise. Probably November, but wouldn't be shocked to see this miss 07 all together.

Wow I was really hoping for it to come out in spring. If it launches next to Halo 3 that could be tough time to move lots of these.

So what games are coming out this spring or summer?

worst... boxart.... ever.......

I understand that they wanna advertise 5 games in the package, but I mean come on.... seriously?

Don't think this is gonna do so hot if it releases in November/December. If they were smart they'd get it to us by September.

[quote name='zewone']So, not Winter 2007 like Feb. or Mar., but Winter 2007 like November? If so, this game will have a much harder time of moving units with all the hot shit that will be out, especially Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Winter 2007 is a little vague... Is it Q1 2007 or Q4 2007? Winter 2007 would technically be the time between Jan. 1 - Mar. 20, 2007 or the time between Dec 22 - Dec 31, 2007...

EDIT:

Slightly different press release on joystiq... Winter 2007 changed to Fall 2007... No more ambiguity

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/07/half-life-2-episode-two-boxes-dropping-this-fall/

[quote name='joystiq']EA AND VALVE UNVEIL THE BLACK BOX AND THE ORANGE BOX

Innovative Action Titles Ship in Fall 2007 and Include Portal™, Team Fortress® 2 and Half-Life® 2: Episode Two in One Box

Redwood City, Calif. – February 7, 2007– Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), the world's leading interactive entertainment company, and Valve®, the award-winning studio behind the blockbuster franchises Half-Life® and Counter-Strike®, today announced the naming and product configurations The Black Box and The Orange Box, two of the most anticipated action game offerings shipping worldwide in Fall 2007.

The Black Box will ship for the PC, and includes Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal and Team Fortress 2. The Orange Box will ship for the PC, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system, and includes all the content of The Black Box, plus the original Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One.

Innovative games included in The Black Box and The Orange Box include:

* Half-Life 2: Episode Two -- the second installment in Valve's episodic trilogy advances the award-winning story, leading the player to new locations outside of City 17.
* Portal -- a pioneering type of single player action game that rewrites the rules for how players approach and manipulate their environment – much like how Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun reinvented the way gamers interact with objects in the game.
* Team Fortress 2 -- an all-new version of the legendary title that spawned team based multiplayer action games. The game's daring new art style features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date.

"In less than 18 months, we've shipped 10 new products to retail outlets with EA Partners," said Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve. "The Black Box and The Orange Box represent a new approach to publishing multiple products, on multiple platforms and we know through our experience that no organization in the industry is better equipped to successfully launch new product types on multiple platforms than EA Partners."

"Valve is one of the world's premiere independent developers and EA Partners is thrilled to help them bring the groundbreaking action games in The Orange Box and The Black Box to market as their publishing partner," said David DeMartini, vice president and general manager of EA Partners.

The Black Box and The Orange Box are targeted for release in Fall 2007. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com[/QUOTE]

i can' t imagine they would launch it in/around halo 3 launch...My money is on spring 08...

as for games coming this spring/summer...we have mass effect due allegedly in may, bioshock allegedly in june, virtual fighter due in the summer sometime...also games like kane & lynch, the army of 2, the darkness are due sometime this year maybe some will show up in the summer

[quote name='zewone']So, not Winter 2007 like Feb. or Mar., but Winter 2007 like November? If so, this game will have a much harder time of moving units with all the hot shit that will be out, especially Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they've definetly shot themselves in the foot now. They're foolish to think that in a season of Halo 3, GTA 4, and MGS4 that they're going to move any units compared to those franchises. Sure Half-Life is popular but at that point it will have been well over a year since episode 1 released and 3 years since Half-Life 2 came out. They're fooling themselves if they think they're going to still remain relevant at that point.

My money's on them needing the extra development time for the PS3 version but they want to release all 3 versions simultaneously so they're gonna hold the PC and 360 versions until PS3 is ready.

Despite this being a great deal even if it retails for $60, I know I'll pass if it comes out anytime past September. I have a feeling I'm not alone.

I wonder if they will still be whoring out Half Life 2 in the next gen too? Can't wait to play it again on the PS4, bravo Valve :roll:

I liked Half Life 2 but geez, way to ride the coat tails of one game for all of eternity. I'm surprised anyone even cares about these Episodes at this point, since it's taking them longer to release a 5 hours expansion pack then it takes most developers to push out a real game.

I mean cmon, Winter 2007? That will turn into Spring 2008, and then Winter 2008.

[quote name='Roufuss']I wonder if they will still be whoring out Half Life 2 in the next gen too? Can't wait to play it again on the PS4, bravo Valve :roll:

I liked Half Life 2 but geez, way to ride the coat tails of one game for all of eternity. I'm surprised anyone even cares about these Episodes at this point, since it's taking them longer to release a 5 hours expansion pack then it takes most developers to push out a real game.

I mean cmon, Winter 2007? That will turn into Spring 2008, and then Winter 2008.[/QUOTE]

but but but Its gotta be perfect.

If they don't release it a month or two before November, Halo 3's launch will bury it. Even then, it might have a spike in sales for those that didn't buy it on the PC or Xbox, though it'll be short-lived.

I'm not a PC gamer, and by the time I got to HL2 on Xbox the rumor of the 360 version was pretty prevalent. I'll still get this for $60 for all the sp content, as long as it's out by September or early October. I was really hoping for summer to bank on TF2 as my multi-player choice for a few months before Halo 3 hits in the fall. If Valve can't get this out well before Halo 3, I'll end up looking for it in the clearance box in 2008 sometime....

that's probably not the real boxart.

this will make a GREAT bargain bin game.

It's really sad that the Half Life episodes are taking so long to make. From what I understand they usually only last 6 or so hours, and yet by the time episode 2 comes out it will almost be a year and a half. So much for episodic gaming.

bread's done
Back