The Orange Box - Out Now

Looks like Team Fortress 2 will have X360 to PC playability:

After expressing their intention to enable cross-platform multiplayer interaction for Team Fortress 2, Valve software has revealed that they already have people on Xbox 360 playing the Team Fortress sequel against PC users.

IGN: So you're actually playing now on Xbox 360s connected to PCs?

Doug Lombardi:
Technically it's done.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13226/Team-Fortress-2-PCXbox-360-Interplay-Technically-Done/

well that is good, i guess. Is this thru the live anywhere program? If so I doubt many pc gamers will be playing vs xbox players, due to the gold fee they would need pay to play.

[quote name='shrike4242']If they don't release it a month or two before November, Halo 3's launch will bury it. Even then, it might have a spike in sales for those that didn't buy it on the PC or Xbox, though it'll be short-lived.[/QUOTE]

Know this was a while back but now that Halo 3 is coming out in sept i wonder how that will affect the games coming out after it.

Doesnt make a diff to me personally though, as i will get Halo 3, Half Life 2, and UT3 whenever they are released.

[quote name='Weedy649']Know this was a while back but now that Halo 3 is coming out in sept i wonder how that will affect the games coming out after it.

Doesnt make a diff to me personally though, as i will get Halo 3, Half Life 2, and UT3 whenever they are released.[/QUOTE]
Where did you get a September release for Halo 3 from?

Here's a new Team Fortress 2 video:

Great animation, looks really entertaining.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY5qJHZCz2I&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Exbox360fanboy%2Ecom%2F[/MEDIA]

Yeah, I'll pick this up right away. How did they do making Half-Life 2 playable o the Xbox control wise? I only ever played the PC version.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, I'll pick this up right away. How did they do making Half-Life 2 playable o the Xbox control wise? I only ever played the PC version.[/QUOTE]

I thought they did a good job with it

I'm assuming the 360 vs. pc play with have nothing to do with microsoft because then it would interfere with steam, so no pc achievements.

I don't like paying full price for games. I would pay full price for this.

All of those games, even if you've played them before, equate to a decent chunk of gaming for your dollar. I'm sure Halo 3 will need a break somewhere...

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']This looks better then Halo 3 which will be a boring repeat of Halo 1/2 which where nothing special.[/QUOTE

Troll much? Keep it to yourself, you're the one missing out. I'll enjoy both H3 and Orange Box this winter. Open mindedness=win.

They say that and yet they got rid of the black box for PC customers forcing people who already own all the HL2 stuff to download the game through steam.

TF2 and Portal making HL2:E2 cost 20 dollars more than the first episode was enough of a shot in the balls, but then eliminating the ability to buy them at retail was an even harder shot. And I am still pissed off that CS:S and DOD:S were not included in the console orange box. I would have bought it, but because of this I will just stick to the PC version.

This game looks great but I got a thing about playing to many FPSs at once. I can get the controls messed up in my head. So with Halo being out then I bet I pass this up for a while.

[quote name='BREVITY']This game looks great but I got a thing about playing to many FPSs at once. I can get the controls messed up in my head. So with Halo being out then I bet I pass this up for a while.[/quote]

...FPS's almost all have the same controls

If you guys are wanting more info on TF2 you have to check out this video I just found on GT.
It also has a bit more unseen gameplay footage.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=64929

NO grenades!!!!
NO infecting!!!!
NO conc jumps!!!

I forsee this making the engie a lot more powerful now.
They also really changed the medic. You can heal at a distance with a ghostbusters stream looking gun.
Looks incredible, but I'm dying to see how the new rules will play out.

im interested to see how good this game will look on the 360 and in HD (maybe 1080i)... on my PC i can run the game on all high settings, mostly

so i wonder if there will be a big difference in the graphics between PC and 360

also do you guys think they will release a demo on Xbox Live?

My frothing demand for this game increases. I loved HL2 on XBox and getting to play it as it should be is tops.

This'll be on my Christmas list. I've wanted to check out the games after HL2, but without a viable platform for PC gaming anymore, it's just gonna be easier to play on the 360, even if the console controls are sloppier than the PC ones are.

Any chance the load tmes will be better than the PC/Xbox versions of HL2? :p

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']If you guys are wanting more info on TF2 you have to check out this video I just found on GT.
It also has a bit more unseen gameplay footage.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=64929

NO grenades!!!!
NO infecting!!!!
NO conc jumps!!!

I forsee this making the engie a lot more powerful now.
They also really changed the medic. You can heal at a distance with a ghostbusters stream looking gun.
Looks incredible, but I'm dying to see how the new rules will play out.[/quote]

Oh, boy. I don't know about them taking these capabilities out. It's fun to infect your enemies when you play as the medic.

[quote name='daroga']This'll be on my Christmas list. I've wanted to check out the games after HL2, but without a viable platform for PC gaming anymore, it's just gonna be easier to play on the 360, even if the console controls are sloppier than the PC ones are.

Any chance the load tmes will be better than the PC/Xbox versions of HL2? :p[/QUOTE]

The load times in HL2 were great on the PC. I think it was the PC you played it on.

It sucks it's coming in between Halo 3 and GTA IV. I'll end up buying Halo 3 and GTA IV and getting the PC version of the Orange Box for x-mas.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The load times in HL2 were great on the PC. I think it was the PC you played it on.[/quote]Um, no they weren't. And it wasn't the PC either, it was pretty top of the line when HL2 hit and had a fast harddrive in it.

That initial load was tough, and the sub-loads were fairly lengthy, but far more damagingly, often. It was really the only issue I had with the game, but it was a big issue.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Final box art:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13854/EXCLUSIVE-Final-HalfLife-2-Orange-Box-Art/[/quote]

WOW that is just......... incredibly horrible. If I didnt already know how the games played, I wouldnt even pick it up to look at it.
I sincerely hope that isn't the finalized cover.

For some reason it reminds me of some sort of language software cover. It's also a horrible photoshop job that looks like it took all of 5 minutes.

I'm glad to see that they're making Portal almost like an action game. At first it sounded like they were going to turn it into a puzzler where each "stage" was a puzzle to get to your destination; here it looks more like an extension of HL2 with the turrets and all.

[quote name='daroga']Um, no they weren't. And it wasn't the PC either, it was pretty top of the line when HL2 hit and had a fast harddrive in it.

That initial load was tough, and the sub-loads were fairly lengthy, but far more damagingly, often. It was really the only issue I had with the game, but it was a big issue.[/QUOTE]

must have been your crappy PC, mine loads fast as hell

A lot of people found Bioshock to be a 'creepy' or 'scary' game. I really didn't think that so much. I am super psyched for the Orange Box next month, and wanted to know from those who have already played HL2 and Episode One....how does it compare to Bioshock scaryness-wise? In terms of tone, enemies/monsters, jump-out-of-your-seat moments....is Half Life 2 more, less, or just as 'scary' as Bioshock? I've seen some screenshots of the zombies, with head crabs....are they all throughout the game? Are they scary enemies, or just weird looking? How do they compare in terms of actions and sneaking up on you, to the Splicers in Bioshock? Lastly, is HL2 basically just atmospherically scary, like Bioshock, or truly freaky/scary? Details would be appreciated!

Thanks

Nah, Half-Life 2 isn't scary or creepy. BioShock has more jump out of your seat moments compared to HL2. The head crab zombies aren't really scary in the game, but sometimes there are many of them coming at you and you could get scared by that. If you want a scary game, wait for Alone in the Dark. That game looks good.

Half-Life 2 is still a great game though.

[quote name='ananag112']BioShock has more jump out of your seat moments compared to HL2.[/QUOTE]
I must have missed all of those parts because not once was I startled by BioShock (beginning to end), unlike Half-Life 2 where now and again a headcrab will come shreiking out of the darkness towards you and BioShock's lets make everything shiny took away from any atmosphere the blood "stained" walls could have given it. Half-Life 2 is a much more solid "world" and the Ant Lion Guards will kill you given the chance and there's no vita-chamber to make you feel immortal. But even so neither of these games are creepy or scary, not like Silent Hill or Doom 3. I believe most gamers say they want survival horror games but in fact they're (we're) looking for psychoLOGICAL horror games. Games that make us fear more than just dying ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Psychological_horror_games

Personally Bioshock and Half Life are frightening for me simply because of the situation you are in. World apocalypses, or simply disasters that consume large numbers of people. Families destroyed. Civillization on its knees. A project filled with hope condensed around a rotten core of ideas. I can completely understand how some gamers wouldn't find this frightening, as /your/ character is a bad ass, even as the world or people around you are having a horrible experience. I however tend to find stories like that deeply disturbing.

Silent Hill is frightening because there's just no sense of safety what so ever: the world is completely turned on it's head, you're mostly alone, and you are very weak compared to EVERTHING around you. But it is a very personal sense of horror: you may (will) die, but the rest of the world outside is probably going to go on. Again, most gamers probably find that more frightening. I still find these games freaky, but the Silent Hill where you go searching for your dead wife is the one that... disturbs me the most. Someone you love deeply is also on the line in this game. I'm happily married and so it kind of socked me right in the gut. But the rest are frightening to me in the way a random running chain saw is. The Bioshock / Half Life games are frightening to me in the way the Andromeda Strain is.

So, perhaps we are comparing apples to oranges here. Bioshock/ Half Life to Silent Hill. Disaster that effects the external world, as opposed to personal danger.
Just my opinion of course.

Bioshock is at least somewhat scary throughout, but for me it sort of has that Doom 3 "really - it's scary....watch, we'll prove it. The dark is scary, right??" vibe that is kind of annoying once in a while.

HL2 to me isn't necessarily as "scary" but it is a lot more unsettling - although those poison black headcrabs that seem to come out of nowhere are still scary as hell. Now, I'm not the biggest HL2 fan in the world, but I do think the pacing was outstanding the first time you play through. I've never been so cautious while playing a game.

Bioshock is like a scary movie set in fantasyland. HL2 is like your "real world" screwed up and turned into a nightmare.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Bioshock is at least somewhat scary throughout, but for me it sort of has that Doom 3 "really - it's scary....watch, we'll prove it. The dark is scary, right??" vibe that is kind of annoying once in a while.[/QUOTE]

at least Doom 3 pulled off the whole "in the dark" thing, BioShock only used the shadows to hide how ugly most off the game's design truly was ... the lighting was straight out of a Unreal1 engined game ... blobs of light ... damn that looks sexy ... oh yes and shiny blood stains ... look past the shiny objects ... look at the game, when you get out of the water at the beginning of the game look at the lights at the bottom of the stairs and then look at the lights at the top, the bottom ones weren't even lucky enough to get blobs :cry: ... ohhh the horror .. the horror!

[quote name='KaneRobot']Bioshock is like a scary movie set in fantasyland. HL2 is like your "real world" screwed up and turned into a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

No BioShock is like "Scary Movie" it's just a joke compared to what it could've been had they just taken the time to polish it ... kinda like what happened to the last few levels of Silent Hill 4. BioShock may very well be Game of the Year ... now that's indeed scary.

bread's done
Back