The Orange Box - Out Now

[quote name='chakan']So...I don't have a 360 yet(I'm waiting for the 65nm)but I do have a PS3. Should I get the 360 version and wait, or play the PS3 version now without achievements and spotty online play?[/QUOTE]

I'd wait for reviews that compare the two versions in case there are issues on one vs. another. Or try and find some developer interviews that compare developing it on both platforms. I'm going with the 360 version at the moment but I'm not too worried about the achievements or multiplayer. I'll wind up getting which version plays better.

[quote name='chakan']So...I don't have a 360 yet(I'm waiting for the 65nm)but I do have a PS3. Should I get the 360 version and wait, or play the PS3 version now without achievements and spotty online play?[/quote]

I'd say go for the X360 version for the XBL experience and the achievements. I would say just wait to buy it when you buy your X360, it might drop in price by the time you finally get one.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Newb question. I have Half Life 2 for the XBox, am I correct in assuming that it is episode 2? episode 1? both? something different?[/QUOTE]
Nope they are different. They are Episodes after Half Life 2. Episode one takes place right after Half life 2.

[quote name='DomLando']Nope they are different. They are Episodes after Half Life 2. Episode one takes place right after Half life 2.[/quote]

Thanks. I was thinking that the Xbox version I played is part of this package I would just be playing what I played before with prettier graphics. Now I really can't wait for this!

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Thanks. I was thinking that the Xbox version I played is part of this package I would just be playing what I played before with prettier graphics. Now I really can't wait for this![/QUOTE]
Half life 2 is part of the package also.

[quote name='DomLando']Half life 2 is part of the package also.[/QUOTE]

along with even more games.

don't worry Viva Las Vegas-- there's no overlap with HL2 on the xbox, since the full spec version is like a different game compared to the ultra-low spec Xbox version.

also, fun fact: Episode 1, 2, and 3 (not out for a while) are Half Life 3.

If anyone is willing to play TF2 with me, please add me.

I haven't played the original TF in a LONG time, but i'm really excited about this.

I hope a ton of people plan on playing this when it's out.

Since Halo 3 dropped, I've been weary of picking up and new shooters or FPS', only because I fear no one will be playing them.

I plan on getting this game, no doubt.

I beat HL2 back when it first came out and loved it, but i never had a chance to play Epi 1. So I am going to be all over this.

Plus the TF series could easily be one of the best team based multiplayer games in history, if only for the balanced classes.

Portal looks great, but....meh.... i dont know, it might be fun, but I really dont think that this will be up my alley.

[quote name='asianxcore']I hope a ton of people plan on playing this when it's out.

Since Halo 3 dropped, I've been weary of picking up and new shooters or FPS', only because I fear no one will be playing them.[/QUOTE]

Like others have said, this might be the Halo alternative. A world of fewer screaming kids and racists.

That being said, I'm way more psyched for HL2 and it's episodes than TF2. I appreciate how well done the cartoon look is but I don't know if I like the idea of it in a FPS.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']this is my Halo 3[/quote]

QFT. Same situation three years ago (has it been that long???). Halo 2 came out and Half-Life 2 was just weeks behind. I was way more excited for that. Plus, I've wanted Portal since the moment I first saw the trailer for it.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']They should've added CS:S on here...or did they?[/quote]
No the only multiplayer game is Team Fortress 2. They could easily charge a full $60 for CS:S.

After watching the second trailer for TF2, i am buying this, even tho i am loving Halo 3 mp right now. I hope there is a good deal on this some what soon after release.

[quote name='catapult37']QFT. Same situation three years ago (has it been that long???). Halo 2 came out and Half-Life 2 was just weeks behind. I was way more excited for that. Plus, I've wanted Portal since the moment I first saw the trailer for it.[/QUOTE]

You should have seen the people bitching when Half-Life 2 stole game of the year at E3 that year from Halo 2! Anyway, picked up Halo 3 to hold me over until this gets released. I really, really love Valve.

[quote name='valor19']You should have seen the people bitching when Half-Life 2 stole game of the year at E3 that year from Halo 2! Anyway, picked up Halo 3 to hold me over until this gets released. I really, really love Valve.[/quote]

QFFT

[quote name='valor19']You should have seen the people bitching when Half-Life 2 stole game of the year at E3 that year from Halo 2! Anyway, picked up Halo 3 to hold me over until this gets released. I really, really love Valve.[/QUOTE]

Well Half life 2 is a much better more coherent story, so it is better in that way.

I scored a copy of Half-Life 2: Orange Box (Xbox360) a couple months back for $9.99 on amazon.com. They accidentally priced the preorder for Orange Box as the price for Episode One for about an hour. Since amazon aren't complete assholes (cough*BestBuy*cough), they honored the price mistake. So as a result, what would have been the deal of the year is now the deal of the century (for me and a few other lucky CAG'ers :)).

[quote name='Scorch']This is also my Halo 3. I've been playing TFC since 1999. Less than two weeks away.. I cannot wait.[/QUOTE]

Same.

I have Halo 3 and have not even opened the wrapping yet.

[quote name='Scorch']This is also my Halo 3. I've been playing TFC since 1999. Less than two weeks away.. I cannot wait.[/quote]

I am in the Beta test for TF2 now and I really never liked TFC because of the damn nades, but I can attest to TF2 being absolutely the most fun I have had since playing Counterstrike for the first time.

[quote name='highwaypatrolman']I scored a copy of Half-Life 2: Orange Box (Xbox360) a couple months back for $9.99 on amazon.com. They accidentally priced the preorder for Orange Box as the price for Episode One for about an hour. Since amazon aren't complete assholes (cough*BestBuy*cough), they honored the price mistake. So as a result, what would have been the deal of the year is now the deal of the century (for me and a few other lucky CAG'ers :)).[/quote]

really? because they sent me the damn episode 1 for pc and did not honor the orange box offer, just let me return my episode 1 box.

[quote name='Maynard']I am in the Beta test for TF2 now and I really never liked TFC because of the damn nades, but I can attest to TF2 being absolutely the most fun I have had since playing Counterstrike for the first time.[/quote]
Good to hear. Since there's no cross platform play, I will be buying it for both PC and 360. I hope you can stll conc jump. I love double concing with the media on 2fort, I could jump from one fort to the other with a double conc.

Add me to the people a bit more excited for this over Halo 3. Halo 3 is great, don't get me wrong, but I've always wanted to play Half Life 2. And no, the half assed attempt on the original xbox doesn't count ;)

[quote name='Scorch']Good to hear. Since there's no cross platform play, I will be buying it for both PC and 360. I hope you can stll conc jump. I love double concing with the media on 2fort, I could jump from one fort to the other with a double conc.[/quote]

You need to read up on the changes they made. No grenades at all. I played the beta and its just too much of a departure for me. My biggest dissapointment was the removal of the detonating in air of pipe bombs.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']really? because they sent me the damn episode 1 for pc and did not honor the orange box offer, just let me return my episode 1 box.[/QUOTE]
me too. As a matter of fact, they ended up sending me two of episode 1 for the pc.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']really? because they sent me the damn episode 1 for pc and did not honor the orange box offer, just let me return my episode 1 box.[/QUOTE]
its kinda a long story, but here goes...

i got 'episode one' in the mail too and i returned it as a mis-ship. when i returned it i included a note saying "i ordered 'orange box', so thats what i'd like, please don't send me 'episode one' again", etc.

my return sat in limbo for almost a month so i eventually called them. the guy i got on the phone was super nice and helpful. i could tell that he was trying to get a sense of me (whether i would freak out if he said 'no can do'), but i was persistent (and not a dick). he said a couple things like "thats quite a discount", etc., but in the end he talked to his manager and the manager ok'ed the deal. i had to cancel my order, reorder the corrected 'orange box', and they adjusted the price.

needless to say, amazon has my business for life. any time i have the option to buy from amazon or someone else, i buy from amazon.

sometimes when i have a rough week at school i open up my amazon acct. page and look at my order for the $10 'orange box'. makes me feel happy. :)

[quote name='coltcannon']You need to read up on the changes they made. No grenades at all. I played the beta and its just too much of a departure for me. My biggest dissapointment was the removal of the detonating in air of pipe bombs.[/quote]
ehhh..... i'll live.

Did they take the emp's away from the engineers? Would that classify as a grenade? And no nail grenades for soldiers..

..that might actually make it more enjoyable.

Can't wait for this. Half-Life 2 (PC) was my game of the year when it came out, and I'll be picking this up for 360 to play through the whole thing over again, the campaigns, and of course TF2. It's really great when a developer steps up and really makes a game like this worth it rather than just repackaging the same original content again for the $60. Big thumbs up to Valve on this one.

I have $40 in credit at GS. I don't have much cash, but I need this for the PC and LOZ:pH. I'm having trouble with this decision. I already have a huge backlog of PC games, so I think I'm going to get the LOZ. thoughts?

[quote name='Shoki']so will ps3 version support keyboard and mouse?[/quote]
My question too because if it does I'll be waiting for the PS3 version instead.

I'm pretty sure I saw that the PS3 version will support keyboard/mouse.

Regardless, I'm super excited for this to come out. I loved TFC and I'm hearing great things about TF2. I'll be grabbing the 360 version naturally, add me if anyone is interested.

[quote name='ighosty']does anyone know of a deal on this game?[/QUOTE]

You can save $5 if you pre-order it at GS/EB either online or in-store. This also applies to the PS 3 and PC as well!

[quote name='munch']I have $40 in credit at GS. I don't have much cash, but I need this for the PC and LOZ:pH. I'm having trouble with this decision. I already have a huge backlog of PC games, so I think I'm going to get the LOZ. thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Both are going to kick major ass! If Zelda is as short and easy as they say it is, I'd go with TOB. The amount of quality content in it is awesome!

[quote name='Scorch']ehhh..... i'll live.

Did they take the emp's away from the engineers? Would that classify as a grenade? And no nail grenades for soldiers..

..that might actually make it more enjoyable.[/quote]

No grenades at all except the ones that come out of the demoman's launcher.

Went to Preorder this today at Circuit City, because I had a gift card, and the coupon from Burger King. No slips were on the rack, so I figured I'd ask. They aren't taking preorders yet, and given how close to release it is, I don't think they will. Wonder if they will have a free GC offer for it or something the week it comes out.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Went to Preorder this today at Circuit City, because I had a gift card, and the coupon from Burger King. No slips were on the rack, so I figured I'd ask. They aren't taking preorders yet, and given how close to release it is, I don't think they will. Wonder if they will have a free GC offer for it or something the week it comes out.[/quote]

ya that is what i'm waiten for. I am hopen that best buy or them has 10 bucks off or a free gift card offer. If now I guess I will have to trade some stuff in at eb.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']My question too because if it does I'll be waiting for the PS3 version instead.[/QUOTE]

Even if I had a PS3, I'd much rather have the Xbox 360 port being done by Valve than the version EA is bringing to the PS3. If you want keyboard/mouse support then I suggest the PC version.

Valve > EA

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Free overnight shipping at Gamestop.com for today's daily deal, plus the $5 off.[/quote]

thats tempting

bread's done
Back