- - - - -

PS2 Codebreaker $4.97 on clearance at Radio Shack

#1 grifta67   :: kermit flail :: CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

Hey everyone. Saw this while I was at a Radio Shack picking up the clearanced DS case.

The only difficulty is that there's no way to tell what version Codebreaker it is. Mine had two different ones, one shaped like a lock and one in a thin regtangular package that said "Get More Game" really big on the top. I got the latter and I'm 95% sure its the latest version.

I really have no desire to cheat on my games, but being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible!

Link to the product page so you can do a local store seach for inventory.

#2 dbz4ever   Living Dilbert's life. CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

dbz4ever

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

I really have no desire to cheat on my games, but being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible!

It's a matter of time before you cross over to the dark side, now that you have the forbidden fruit in your possession. 8-)

#3 TheHulkDeals   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   38 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

TheHulkDeals

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

Is there anyway we can know the version? any tricks?

#4 toadielurks   Working is for chumps. CAGiversary!   226 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

toadielurks

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

Turn the CD over and the version number should be stamped there on that little clear plastic around the hole - otherwise after you've loaded it up press SELECT and it will tell what version you have.

Hey everyone. Saw this while I was at a Radio Shack picking up the clearanced DS case.

The only difficulty is that there's no way to tell what version Codebreaker it is. Mine had two different ones, one shaped like a lock and one in a thin regtangular package that said "Get More Game" really big on the top. I got the latter and I'm 95% sure its the latest version.

#5 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4474 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

I managed to find one of the long blue box ones. Anybody have a tutorial on how to back up your saves with a USB drive?

edit: if it helps, the one I got looks like this:

http://search.ebay.c...codebreaker ps2

but the disc says 9.1A stamped on the back.

edit2: I guess I should read the manual for a tutorial huh...

#6 grifta67   :: kermit flail :: CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

I managed to find one of the long blue box ones. Anybody have a tutorial on how to back up your saves with a USB drive?

edit: if it helps, the one I got looks like this:

http://search.ebay.c...codebreaker ps2

but the disc says 9.1A stamped on the back.

edit2: I guess I should read the manual for a tutorial huh...

From what I understand, v9.x is the newest. I doubt a .1 will affect you much.

As for a tutorial, it doesn't get much more straight forward. You just plug a USB drive into the ps2, load up the codebreaker, and go to the "devices" menu.

#7 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4474 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:16 PM

From what I understand, v9.x is the newest. I doubt a .1 will affect you much.

As for a tutorial, it doesn't get much more straight forward. You just plug a USB drive into the ps2, load up the codebreaker, and go to the "devices" menu.

hehe, thanks, I figured it out once I read the manual. Good to know for those that don't have it yet though.

#8 RollingSkull   Banned Banned   6307 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

RollingSkull

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:43 PM

Or... onto your mem card... from a USB drive... FROM THE INTERNETS!

Fully unlocked Time Crisis 3, HERE I COME BABY!... well, after I get off work tomorrow...

Nice find.

#9 suko_32   (soo-koh-32) - noun CAGiversary!   6475 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

Hmmm...fully unlocked Crisis Zone is tempting. I'll have to think about it.

#10 Caliburn   is Not E. CAGiversary!   1667 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible!

Great googly-moogly!

I loved the Dexdrive. I was able to keep the sole memory card I had for PS1 and transfer my "archived" (read: largely inactive) saves off my card for safe storage onto my PC for when I would need to use them again...it saved me the cost of one memory card and the valuable space each save consumed. :bouncy:

I'll do this again with my PS2 cards now... I couldn't care less about the codes function, but the saves transfer ability sold me. I'm going to go pick one up tonight before they're sold out (there aren't as many Radioshacks open as there used to be.)

#11 dopehat   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   513 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

Thanks I'll have to go and see if the radioshack here has them

#12 grifta67   :: kermit flail :: CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:10 PM

I'm going to go pick one up tonight before they're sold out (there aren't as many Radioshacks open as there used to be.)

I don't think you should have much trouble finding them, even on clearance. I had known about it for about a omnth now, just didn't get around to picking one up. All the stores around me had them in stock still, so if anyone can't find em I can pick some up for people.

#13 dopehat   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   513 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:03 PM

OMG does that suck! I got one but its version 7.0 you can tell on the tag when you take it out of the box on the lower left hand corner. I already have version 7.0 :(

#14 suko_32   (soo-koh-32) - noun CAGiversary!   6475 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

Okay I got a question. Could Max Drive saves work on Codebreaker? I ask because Crisis Zone only has Max Drive save....and I don't feel like unlocking everything in that game. If not, I'll still probably get it since it's still a good price.

#15 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40128 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Cool, according to the website every store near me has it in stock. :D

#16 TheWallsAround   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   32 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

TheWallsAround

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

Thanks a lot, i'll probably pick this up along with the DS Case later tonight.

#17 Jr7891   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

Okay I got a question. Could Max Drive saves work on Codebreaker? I ask because Crisis Zone only has Max Drive save....and I don't feel like unlocking everything in that game. If not, I'll still probably get it since it's still a good price.

No, they don't but there is a program you can download to convert max saves to xps.

Look up ps2savetools.

#18 suko_32   (soo-koh-32) - noun CAGiversary!   6475 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

Right when I found that out from googling, someone answers. Thanks though, you saved me the time to look for ps2savetools. Looks like I'll pick this up.

#19 groundskeeper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1545 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

groundskeeper

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:00 PM

Sweet thanks,

Picked up the last one at the U-Mall in VT. Already used it to save my memory cards to my USB key and backed them up to my hard drive.

#20 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:15 PM

Wow, I bought my clearance Code Breaker from Radio Shack a week ago, and I had no idea that you could transfer saves to a USB drive. I have a few saves that have been cluttering up my memory card, and now I won't have to worry about deleting them! Lack of free space was what was keeping me from getting new PS2 games. Now, with a 128MB USB drive in hand (Size=16 Memory cards), I AM FINALLY FREE! MUWAHAHAHA!!

(BTW Thanks for pointing that feature out, grifta67)

#21 WarlordFDC   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

WarlordFDC

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:00 AM

Thanks OP.

Managed to pick one up for myself and one for a friend.

I have been wanting something to save to a USB drive for a while.

#22 brianmoy   Brian the best I can. CAGiversary!   2021 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:37 AM

Sounds cool.

I'm currently using the HDD for saves, only needing 1 mem card each for PS1 and PS2. I think that's like 20 GB, so space isn't an issue, but the ablity to trade saves over the internet sounds cool.

#23 Ubichu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   183 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:48 AM

My RS had 1 Code Breaker left and I got V9.0. I looked online to try to find an explanation of the difference between 9.3 and 9.0. All I could figure out is the later versions have more pre-stored game cheats and 9.3 added an online chat function, but the overall functionality is the same across V9.x versions. Is that right?

I just barely got my first PS2 a week ago, so I'm still learning. I believe the slim V14 PS2 has a built-in USB port, so I should be able to use V9.0 to transfer game saves to any USB flash drive without buying a PS2 USB cable? (I assume the PS2 USB cable talked about in another thread is only necessary for older PS2 consoles without built-in USB.)

I gather that the Code Breaker disc only boots on the PS2? With the ability to use a USB cable and/or flash drive to save games or enter cheat codes, it seems like a person should be able to download new cheat codes online on the PC, put them on a USB drive, plug that into the PS2, and use Code Breaker to transfer the new codes into your memory card. Can that be done?

#24 ManChowder   soooo sleepy... CAGiversary!   1391 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:10 AM

I haven't read over all the posts yet but I had a question. Does the Codebreaker have to be a certain version to work on a slim PS2?
I thought old versions of Gameshark/Action Replay have issues with the slim ps2 but I wasn't sure about this.

thanks.

#25 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4315 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:27 AM

I am going to check my RS for this item. I am addicted to clearance items. :)

#26 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3048 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:20 AM

I haven't read over all the posts yet but I had a question. Does the Codebreaker have to be a certain version to work on a slim PS2?
I thought old versions of Gameshark/Action Replay have issues with the slim ps2 but I wasn't sure about this.

thanks.

I thought I heard certain slim PS2's locked out the use of a USB pen drive, hopefully I'm wrong because I'll definately pick up a new codebreaker in order to do that.

#27 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

I thought I heard certain slim PS2's locked out the use of a USB pen drive, hopefully I'm wrong because I'll definately pick up a new codebreaker in order to do that.

Ok, you're wrong :). I have a slim PS2 and today, I was able to transfer saves to the USB drive with my CodeBreaker 9.0.

#28 WarlordFDC   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

WarlordFDC

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

My RS had 1 Code Breaker left and I got V9.0. I looked online to try to find an explanation of the difference between 9.3 and 9.0. All I could figure out is the later versions have more pre-stored game cheats and 9.3 added an online chat function, but the overall functionality is the same across V9.x versions. Is that right?

I just barely got my first PS2 a week ago, so I'm still learning. I believe the slim V14 PS2 has a built-in USB port, so I should be able to use V9.0 to transfer game saves to any USB flash drive without buying a PS2 USB cable? (I assume the PS2 USB cable talked about in another thread is only necessary for older PS2 consoles without built-in USB.)

I gather that the Code Breaker disc only boots on the PS2? With the ability to use a USB cable and/or flash drive to save games or enter cheat codes, it seems like a person should be able to download new cheat codes online on the PC, put them on a USB drive, plug that into the PS2, and use Code Breaker to transfer the new codes into your memory card. Can that be done?

I picked up a 9.0 version as well and it had a tag on the padlock shaped box that said it included chat.

I have not tried out the chat yet, just used the thumbdrive (make sure to format it FAT or FAT16 so it works) and tried downloading off the internet. Workd nicely.

Now to back up all my saves.

#29 Exodus.Lang   CAGtastic! CAGiversary!   329 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Exodus.Lang

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Well, now I hopefully can get my rosters for NCAA 07 easily :) They're supposed to be out today from a good source.

#30 grifta67   :: kermit flail :: CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yes, that seems to be the only difference.

All ps2 systems, old and new, have USB ports. I'm not sure I've heard of this USB cable you speak of. Perhaps a USB network adapter? Regardless, you are correct in that you don't need a cable to transfer saves.

Yes indeed it can!