PS2 Codebreaker $4.97 on clearance at Radio Shack

grifta67

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone. Saw this while I was at a Radio Shack picking up the clearanced DS case.

The only difficulty is that there's no way to tell what version Codebreaker it is. Mine had two different ones, one shaped like a lock and one in a thin regtangular package that said "Get More Game" really big on the top. I got the latter and I'm 95% sure its the latest version.

I really have no desire to cheat on my games, but being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible!

Link to the product page so you can do a local store seach for inventory.

[quote name='grifta67']

I really have no desire to cheat on my games, but being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible!

Link to the product page so you can do a local store seach for inventory.[/quote]

It's a matter of time before you cross over to the dark side, now that you have the forbidden fruit in your possession. :cool:

Turn the CD over and the version number should be stamped there on that little clear plastic around the hole - otherwise after you've loaded it up press SELECT and it will tell what version you have.

[quote name='grifta67']Hey everyone. Saw this while I was at a Radio Shack picking up the clearanced DS case.

The only difficulty is that there's no way to tell what version Codebreaker it is. Mine had two different ones, one shaped like a lock and one in a thin regtangular package that said "Get More Game" really big on the top. I got the latter and I'm 95% sure its the latest version.

Link to the product page so you can do a local store seach for inventory.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='encendido5']I managed to find one of the long blue box ones. Anybody have a tutorial on how to back up your saves with a USB drive?

edit: if it helps, the one I got looks like this:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=codebreaker+ps2

but the disc says 9.1A stamped on the back.

edit2: I guess I should read the manual for a tutorial huh...[/quote]

From what I understand, v9.x is the newest. I doubt a .1 will affect you much.

As for a tutorial, it doesn't get much more straight forward. You just plug a USB drive into the ps2, load up the codebreaker, and go to the "devices" menu.

[quote name='grifta67']From what I understand, v9.x is the newest. I doubt a .1 will affect you much.

As for a tutorial, it doesn't get much more straight forward. You just plug a USB drive into the ps2, load up the codebreaker, and go to the "devices" menu.[/quote]

hehe, thanks, I figured it out once I read the manual. Good to know for those that don't have it yet though.

[quote name='grifta67'] I really have no desire to cheat on my games, but being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible![/quote]

Or... onto your mem card... from a USB drive... FROM THE INTERNETS!

Fully unlocked Time Crisis 3, HERE I COME BABY!... well, after I get off work tomorrow...

Nice find.

[quote name='grifta67']being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible!
[/quote]

Great googly-moogly!

I loved the Dexdrive. I was able to keep the sole memory card I had for PS1 and transfer my "archived" (read: largely inactive) saves off my card for safe storage onto my PC for when I would need to use them again...it saved me the cost of one memory card and the valuable space each save consumed. :bouncy:

I'll do this again with my PS2 cards now... I couldn't care less about the codes function, but the saves transfer ability sold me. I'm going to go pick one up tonight before they're sold out (there aren't as many Radioshacks open as there used to be.)

[quote name='Caliburn'] I'm going to go pick one up tonight before they're sold out (there aren't as many Radioshacks open as there used to be.)[/quote]

I don't think you should have much trouble finding them, even on clearance. I had known about it for about a omnth now, just didn't get around to picking one up. All the stores around me had them in stock still, so if anyone can't find em I can pick some up for people.

OMG does that suck! I got one but its version 7.0 you can tell on the tag when you take it out of the box on the lower left hand corner. I already have version 7.0 :(

Okay I got a question. Could Max Drive saves work on Codebreaker? I ask because Crisis Zone only has Max Drive save....and I don't feel like unlocking everything in that game. If not, I'll still probably get it since it's still a good price.

[quote name='suko_32']Okay I got a question. Could Max Drive saves work on Codebreaker? I ask because Crisis Zone only has Max Drive save....and I don't feel like unlocking everything in that game. If not, I'll still probably get it since it's still a good price.[/quote]

No, they don't but there is a program you can download to convert max saves to xps.

Look up ps2savetools.

Right when I found that out from googling, someone answers. Thanks though, you saved me the time to look for ps2savetools. Looks like I'll pick this up.

Sweet thanks,

Picked up the last one at the U-Mall in VT. Already used it to save my memory cards to my USB key and backed them up to my hard drive.

Wow, I bought my clearance Code Breaker from Radio Shack a week ago, and I had no idea that you could transfer saves to a USB drive. I have a few saves that have been cluttering up my memory card, and now I won't have to worry about deleting them! Lack of free space was what was keeping me from getting new PS2 games. Now, with a 128MB USB drive in hand (Size=16 Memory cards), I AM FINALLY FREE! MUWAHAHAHA!!

(BTW Thanks for pointing that feature out, grifta67)

Thanks OP.

Managed to pick one up for myself and one for a friend.

I have been wanting something to save to a USB drive for a while.

Sounds cool.

I'm currently using the HDD for saves, only needing 1 mem card each for PS1 and PS2. I think that's like 20 GB, so space isn't an issue, but the ablity to trade saves over the internet sounds cool.

My RS had 1 Code Breaker left and I got V9.0. I looked online to try to find an explanation of the difference between 9.3 and 9.0. All I could figure out is the later versions have more pre-stored game cheats and 9.3 added an online chat function, but the overall functionality is the same across V9.x versions. Is that right?

I just barely got my first PS2 a week ago, so I'm still learning. I believe the slim V14 PS2 has a built-in USB port, so I should be able to use V9.0 to transfer game saves to any USB flash drive without buying a PS2 USB cable? (I assume the PS2 USB cable talked about in another thread is only necessary for older PS2 consoles without built-in USB.)

I gather that the Code Breaker disc only boots on the PS2? With the ability to use a USB cable and/or flash drive to save games or enter cheat codes, it seems like a person should be able to download new cheat codes online on the PC, put them on a USB drive, plug that into the PS2, and use Code Breaker to transfer the new codes into your memory card. Can that be done?

I haven't read over all the posts yet but I had a question. Does the Codebreaker have to be a certain version to work on a slim PS2?
I thought old versions of Gameshark/Action Replay have issues with the slim ps2 but I wasn't sure about this.

thanks.

[quote name='ManChowder']I haven't read over all the posts yet but I had a question. Does the Codebreaker have to be a certain version to work on a slim PS2?
I thought old versions of Gameshark/Action Replay have issues with the slim ps2 but I wasn't sure about this.

thanks.[/QUOTE]I thought I heard certain slim PS2's locked out the use of a USB pen drive, hopefully I'm wrong because I'll definately pick up a new codebreaker in order to do that.

[quote name='TimPV3']I thought I heard certain slim PS2's locked out the use of a USB pen drive, hopefully I'm wrong because I'll definately pick up a new codebreaker in order to do that.[/QUOTE]
Ok, you're wrong :). I have a slim PS2 and today, I was able to transfer saves to the USB drive with my CodeBreaker 9.0.

[quote name='Ubichu']My RS had 1 Code Breaker left and I got V9.0. I looked online to try to find an explanation of the difference between 9.3 and 9.0. All I could figure out is the later versions have more pre-stored game cheats and 9.3 added an online chat function, but the overall functionality is the same across V9.x versions. Is that right?

I just barely got my first PS2 a week ago, so I'm still learning. I believe the slim V14 PS2 has a built-in USB port, so I should be able to use V9.0 to transfer game saves to any USB flash drive without buying a PS2 USB cable? (I assume the PS2 USB cable talked about in another thread is only necessary for older PS2 consoles without built-in USB.)

I gather that the Code Breaker disc only boots on the PS2? With the ability to use a USB cable and/or flash drive to save games or enter cheat codes, it seems like a person should be able to download new cheat codes online on the PC, put them on a USB drive, plug that into the PS2, and use Code Breaker to transfer the new codes into your memory card. Can that be done?[/quote]

I picked up a 9.0 version as well and it had a tag on the padlock shaped box that said it included chat.

I have not tried out the chat yet, just used the thumbdrive (make sure to format it FAT or FAT16 so it works) and tried downloading off the internet. Workd nicely.

Now to back up all my saves.

[quote name='Ubichu']My RS had 1 Code Breaker left and I got V9.0. I looked online to try to find an explanation of the difference between 9.3 and 9.0. All I could figure out is the later versions have more pre-stored game cheats and 9.3 added an online chat function, but the overall functionality is the same across V9.x versions. Is that right?[/quote]
Yes, that seems to be the only difference.

All ps2 systems, old and new, have USB ports. I'm not sure I've heard of this USB cable you speak of. Perhaps a USB network adapter? Regardless, you are correct in that you don't need a cable to transfer saves.

I gather that the Code Breaker disc only boots on the PS2? With the ability to use a USB cable and/or flash drive to save games or enter cheat codes, it seems like a person should be able to download new cheat codes online on the PC, put them on a USB drive, plug that into the PS2, and use Code Breaker to transfer the new codes into your memory card. Can that be done?
Yes indeed it can!

[quote name='grifta67']Yes, that seems to be the only difference.

All ps2 systems, old and new, have USB ports. I'm not sure I've heard of this USB cable you speak of. Perhaps a USB network adapter? Regardless, you are correct in that you don't need a cable to transfer saves.[/quote]

I was referring to the USB adapter in this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101318

I just re-read the first line and I guess I initially missed the point. The USB cable is not to hook up something to the PS2 but to allow PSX/PS2 game controllers to be used by a PC (I assume only certain games support it).

Thanks for the answers, grifta67. Hopefully once I open up the Code Breaker, the manual will explain how to download the cheat codes (from www.cmgsccc.com) onto the flash drive in the correct format so I don't have to re-enter them. It sounds like the Code Breaker utility has the ability to do a directory of a flash drive and let you pick individual cheat files, so there's no software needed on the PC side.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']I picked up a 9.0 version as well and it had a tag on the padlock shaped box that said it included chat.

I have not tried out the chat yet, just used the thumbdrive (make sure to format it FAT or FAT16 so it works) and tried downloading off the internet. Workd nicely.

Now to back up all my saves.[/QUOTE]

They mention on their site that it should work with FAT32 formatted drives as well as long as it is version 8.0 or above. I use FAT32 formatted USB drives with my PS2. I have two drives I use one is 512MB and one is 1GB.

Thanks OP. Just picked one up on my lunch break.

I also picked up some Pelican GBA SP headphones for .97. Well more importantly I picked up some Pelican GBA SP headphones that had a GBA SP headphone adapter in them. As I'm sure the actual headphones aren't so hot.

Has anybody gotten the ps2 afterglow controller saw it on the RadioShack website for $3.99 but not one radioshack around here has it:cry:

Got one today, thanks OP. I also saw a codebreaker that was shaped liked a lock that you would use for lockers.

Edit: For some reason, the start up disc works on my friends ps2 and not mine, crap.

[quote name='groundskeeper']They mention on their site that it should work with FAT32 formatted drives as well as long as it is version 8.0 or above. I use FAT32 formatted USB drives with my PS2. I have two drives I use one is 512MB and one is 1GB.[/quote]

Guess I will have to try again when I get home. In the manual for the 9.0 it stated you needed to use FAT or FAT16 so I just went ahead and formatted the empty drive for it.

[quote name='suko_32']Got one today, thanks OP. I also saw a codebreaker that was shaped liked a lock that you would use for lockers.

Edit: For some reason, the start up disc works on my friends ps2 and not mine, crap.[/quote]

That is the one I picked up. It was a 9.0 version in my package.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']Guess I will have to try again when I get home. In the manual for the 9.0 it stated you needed to use FAT or FAT16 so I just went ahead and formatted the empty drive for it.[/quote]
FAT32 requires at least 512MB, If you don't have smaller drive than 512MB, then use FAT16, I believe the product was created when common USB drives are less than 512MB. Plus, FAT32 are backward compatible to FAT16.

http://mozillaquest.com/aboutcomputers/FATData1.html

Got a 9.0 codebreaker today. Almost jumped on some other clearance deals, a 2-pack of 3rd Party GC memcards, a fan cooled (!!) Nyko dual analog PC USB controller...

[quote name='Cao Cao']Ok, you're wrong :). I have a slim PS2 and today, I was able to transfer saves to the USB drive with my CodeBreaker 9.0.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're wrong and TimPV3 is right.

cut and paste directly from the code breaker forum
"If you have the latest PS2 Slim Model (SCPH-75001 or higher): Sony has made some key modifications to this revision of the PS2. It seems that the changes they have made to the USB hardware have rendered the CodeBreaker's USB drivers inoperable. This is likely due to use of a newer and probably cheaper chipset. The change does not seem to effect software that uses Sony's USB drivers, but Pelican's home-brew drivers do not operate (Pelican cannot use Sony's drivers for legal reasons). A future version of the CodeBreaker will likely fix this problem. For now, there is no fix for this on your unit."
http://forums.cmgsccc.com/showthread.php?t=1458
So, I'm guessing it is YMMV if you have a slim PS2.

[quote name='wbc1228']Actually, you're wrong and TimPV3 is right.

cut and paste directly from the code breaker forum
"If you have the latest PS2 Slim Model (SCPH-75001 or higher): Sony has made some key modifications to this revision of the PS2. It seems that the changes they have made to the USB hardware have rendered the CodeBreaker's USB drivers inoperable. This is likely due to use of a newer and probably cheaper chipset. The change does not seem to effect software that uses Sony's USB drivers, but Pelican's home-brew drivers do not operate (Pelican cannot use Sony's drivers for legal reasons). A future version of the CodeBreaker will likely fix this problem. For now, there is no fix for this on your unit."
http://forums.cmgsccc.com/showthread.php?t=1458
So, I'm guessing it is YMMV if you have a slim PS2.[/QUOTE]
Ah, it's those crappy new slim PS2s that have a compatibility problem with certain games. Didn't realize that Sony decided to scrimp on the USB ports too. Perhaps I should have mentioned that my slim PS2 is the SCPH-70012. Remember folks, the slim PS2 700-series is a-OK, but the newer 750-series will definitely lead you down a bad road. :fridge:

can someone designate the versions by the box for us? I'm totally confused if its a v7 v8 v9, cuz I want to transfer saves onto my pc.

[quote name='v0yce']Thanks OP. Just picked one up on my lunch break.

I also picked up some Pelican GBA SP headphones for .97. Well more importantly I picked up some Pelican GBA SP headphones that had a GBA SP headphone adapter in them. As I'm sure the actual headphones aren't so hot.[/QUOTE]
Thats funny you mention that Gameboy Advance sound kit. I saw it said 97 cents and I said what the hell, I should just get it in addition to the two Codebreakers I got, one for me and one for a friend. One of my Codebreakers is the padlock looking package (V9.0) and the other one I got was the rectangular package (V9.1). I guess I will keep the 9.1 version even though they probably are the same thing.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Ah, it's those crappy new slim PS2s that have a compatibility problem with certain games. Didn't realize that Sony decided to scrimp on the USB ports too. Perhaps I should have mentioned that my slim PS2 is the SCPH-70012. Remember folks, the slim PS2 700-series is a-OK, but the newer 750-series will definitely lead you down a bad road. :fridge:[/quote]
That's a bummer! I wasted my time getting a Code Breaker for nothing since the PS2 slim I just bought was the latest SCPH-75001. When you say "lead you down a bad road", are you referring just to USB compatibility or are there more problems? Is there a FAQ somewhere that describes all the bad things about the SCPH-75001?

I wonder if I should open it and try it or just return it? I'm afraid Rat Shack may not take it back opened because they could say it's opened software.

Thanks OP. I got the padlock packaging and it's version 8.1 but it worked fine with a FAT 32 thumb drive(256mb). Only took a couple of minutes to get my save files to my PC. Zipped 'em up and they now sit safely on gmail. It's like a $5 insurance policy for your PS2 saves.

[quote name='Ubichu']That's a bummer! I wasted my time getting a Code Breaker for nothing since the PS2 slim I just bought was the latest SCPH-75001. When you say "lead you down a bad road", are you referring just to USB compatibility or are there more problems? Is there a FAQ somewhere that describes all the bad things about the SCPH-75001?
[/QUOTE]

not really a faq, but it talks about the incompatibility issues with that model
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99534

bread's done
Back