CAGcast #44: The Other Reggie

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
This week, we discuss the latest Wii news as well as some CAG controversy, the latest releases and industry news, your questions from the CAGbag and much more!

Don't forget to enter the contest by using the secret entry method revealed in this week's show!

This CAGcast is really just to hold you over for a few days as we will have the special Tokyo Game Show edition up this weekend.

Download - 59 minutes, 27MB
(If you haven't yet done so, PLEASE review us by clicking here!)
RSS feed
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast44.mp3[/media]

Linkage:
Intro music: Legend of Zelda

CAGcast Contest - Prizes: Namco, Nintendo, Phoenix Wright

Best Buy/GameSpot Spoof Controversy - Latest one

New Releases

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Hits (Japan) Nov. 22
EA to release Tony Hawk killer in 2007

Virtua Tennis 3 Hits PS3 in 1080p
App Chews up 360 HD Space, Knocks Out Podcasts
Msoft Sued Over Live Patent Infringment

CAGbag
Outro: Toys R US - NES Ad

Doh, too late to listen--tagged for tomorrow listening and contest entering...

Motherfuck--ah well, at least Porkins gets a toy before he eats it. "Almost there...almost there...". Damn I never win shit. :)

Good show, I liked the witty reparte in this one.

Oh and if you want to improve your Japanese quickly, Cheapy, then have your wife talk to you exclusively in Japanese.

You will either be forced to learn the language, or you'll end up giving up and completely ignoring everything she has to say. A win-win!

J/K I keed, I keed. :)

u

Once again, great show! I didn't know you guys were closet adventure gamers! While the PQ games were good, Gabriel Knight and such was much better.

So uh...where was the CAG controversy?

E

I knew cheapy was gonna get contacted by bestbuy sooner or later. Good show - sounds like Wombat is growing a spine ;) :applause: Poor Zelda. My dog would probably rip out my throat if I tried to stick anything up her ass.

A

[quote name='wageslave']My dog would probably rip out my throat if I tried to stick anything up her ass.[/quote]:lol: I must not have gotten to that part yet.

o

Oh, and Wombat/Cheapy: There is already a steering wheel attachment that will be free with one or both of the Ubisoft racing games (GT or 4x4). Even less than $20. ;)

thumbgtproseries20060908114711546ku9.jpg

[quote name='botticus']:lol: I must not have gotten to that part yet.

o

Oh, and Wombat/Cheapy: There is already a steering wheel attachment that will be free with one or both of the Ubisoft racing games (GT or 4x4). Even less than $20. ;)

thumbgtproseries20060908114711546ku9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thats awesome, I did not know that

While the Wii Channels might not appeal to us, "teh true gamerz," it might appeal to the non-gamer demographic that Nintendo is really going after. I mean the controller is a fucking remote for Ganon's sake! Remote, Channels, genius!

If those features allow the Wii to be more "family friendly" and entice more people to buy one as a convergence device, I see it as a good move.

e

Definitely the best show in recent memory. You guys were in fine form. Maybe it was because Cheapy had a vacation. Maybe it was because Wombat cheered up. Maybe it was because Zelda got an enema. But whatever it was, keep doing it (except the last one).

You guys had some interesting points on the Wii. Wombat's take on the upside of the controller pricing was interesting. I had never thought about it quite that way. And given the evidence above, I think he's already being proven right. When that Star Wars game inevitably comes, I think we'll see an (optional) lightsaber peripheral into which you can insert the remote. Then just sit back and watch the Lightsaber Kid videos roll out on YouTube.

I'm less concerned about the SD card details. Why would they go to the trouble of using a non-proprietary media and then hamstring the ways it can be used? But I think eventually we'll see a USB hard drive anyway.

I enjoyed the Sierra moment. I loved me some Sierra adventure games back in the day. I dug the big franchises, but I have especially fond memories of the more obscure ones like Manhunter 1 and 2 and Gold Rush. So many late night calls to the Sierra Hint Line ("If the rats and bats keep eating your face, press 3...") and then taking the heat from the parents when the phone bill came.

That said, I think LucasArts adventures in their prime had it all over Sierra.

y

Cheapy getting offended? Impossible! This is the man who said Master Chief should be two Korean guys standing on top of each other, said that southerners would love a game called "Jew Killer 2000", confessed he would eat poop for money, who was surprised that there were no black gang members in Saint's Row, and in this episode made mention of smelly Chinese people with six inch long finger nails.

C

[quote name='dcfox']Cheapy getting offended? Impossible! This is the man who said Master Chief should be two Korean guys standing on top of each other, said that southerners would love a game called "Jew Killer 2000", confessed he would eat poop for money, who was surprised that there were no black gang members in Saint's Row, and in this episode made mention of smelly Chinese people with six inch long finger nails.

C[/QUOTE]

It was three inches, you racist.

I have a question: If we post multiple times in the show threads, should we include our contest qualifying thingy in every post or just the first one? I assume you're picking winners by choosing a reply number at random, and I'd hate to be disqualified if only because I included my secret thing in my first post and not subsequent posts.

Just in case:

y

Uhhh.. k or something.

I say leave the Best Buy parody up. I know that the political potential of "good faith and favors" is there, but Best Buy is engaging in deceptive marketing practices. Gamespot should take responsibility and state that Best Buy cannot make the 360 Core magically backwards compatible, and it is solely up to Microsoft's discretion what will be playable on the 360.

On the downside of this, the typical strategy of corporate entities vs. privately operated websites (whether it be retail stores or a music distributor, etc.) is to throw enough money at the problem until the "little guy" can no longer pay his/her court costs.

You'd think that since the webmaster of the site (CheapyD) resides in Japan, and likely manages the site from Japan (although I'm willing to bet the server space is in the U.S., so this theory wouldn't apply), that international regulation/intellectual property ownership law would be applied (I doubt Best Buy has copyrighted their logo internationally). I'm unsure of this, especially if the server space is domestic (as that is usually the determining factor in situations like this), if Best Buy could legally pursue a lawsuit. It may be worth some research.

However, it attests to Gamespot's ethics in journalism if they are going to affiliate themselves with "fixed" questions aimed at Best Buy, with answers that would deceive the consumer and point to Best Buy as having "all the answers" to their 360 needs when it comes to issues involving the hardware manufacturer (Microsoft). Gamespot should be primarily concerned with concrete and trustworthy entertainment journalism that is sustained through advertising revenue, and not allowing a corporate retail chain to post vague articles that only serve the goals of marketing for their own individual retail operation through supposed partnership.

I never miss a CAGCast, great job! I seemed to have missed the Best Buy Parody Add back when this was originally done but managed to locate it, great stuff. Keep it up though, it seems rather harmless & is dang funny.

p

Hey Cheapy, you should take down your Q&A parody...

and post a parody of the latest one. There's not much you have to do to make it funny... I mean... Boomberman.

A

Nice CAGcast again, but I think Wombat is letting Nintendo off easy on the price of their controllers. The argument of other controllers that you plug into the remote being cheaper is bunk. You still have to pay $$ to get the extras, and we don't have any proof that they will be cheaper.

o

*raises hand*

I bought the Kameo holiday skins. In my defense, I was playing with my daughters and they got a huge kick out of them. They were actually remarkably well done. One of the elementals became a snowman, one was a Christmas tree, etc. They weren't simply costume changes.

I feel so dirty.

I'm downloading the CagCast now. I'll listen to it at school. I haven't even heard the show yet and I know how to enter the contest. You need to make it more dificult to figure out! :lol:

e

Great show guys!

That commercial at the end of the cagcast almost left me in tears as I sit at my desk at work writing proposals and calling clients. For those 30 seconds I was transported back into my past eating Legend of Zelda cereal, reading any game magazine that I could find, and drawing stupid RPG maps on graph paper.

Thanks for making me question my existence!

A

[quote name='cruzincontrol']I am very interested in the "Cheapy D Poker Night". I have both the camera and game on order. Add me to your friends list.

l[/quote]Yeah that would be really cool to have a bunch of cag people in a room and just chill and tokyo game show podcast or later podcast sounds cool to.

A

Can't wait to hear the Cagcast on the TGS. Wish it could have been a live one like the Cagcast where they went to the Nintendo store in times square and did an interview.

A

Great show except for your "news." You really got screwed on that one.
As for you getting really pizaid on the Wii pre-orders if they come through I think a "CheapyD pays for your Wii" sweepstakes would rule. People who pre-ordered would just forward their fully paid for email order form to your email address and then you'd randomly select one and send the winner $250.00 .

As for the Best Buy thing, tell them you'll take it down if they put CAG back on the affiliate program. Then it is win, win, win.

P.S. The purple dragon is named Figment.

h

Good 'cast!

The controversy is pretty non-controversial. Either way, it just shows what dinguses Best Buy's suits are. Don't they know that the damage is done? They're just making it worse on themselves by reviving publicity about the piece and pitting themselves against a beloved (well, um... liked at least) figure in the gaming community. Getting sued would be the best thing that could ever happen to this site! Think of the great publicity and the CheapieD Legal Defense Fund. :lol:

To participate in the Wii discussion--I am on the fence. Wombat brings up a good point when asking: What can you do with a 2GB SD card in your Wii? I just got one for $30 after MIR at outpost.com, and use it to watch compressed video on my cell phone. Will I be able to do that on my Wii? What kind of media player will it have? Can I subscribe to video podcasts through the channel system?

I think Nintendo is SMART to stay out of having physical hard drives in their systems. That causes a lot of returns in other consumer electronics--expect a minimum of 5% returns (1 in 20) in the PS3 for this reason. That's 20k in the batch of 400k arriving in the US next money. Cheapie next time you're on Squawk Box talking to some boob, tell them to sell Sony short! The Japanese market will not like such 'shoddy' merchandise. Perhaps that's another reason why they're only releasing 100k in Japan at launch. They want to get the quality up before a wider release.

Otsukaresamadeshita, Cheapie! Keep up the good work.

u

bread's done
Back