White Knight Chronicles - Level 5's Groundhog Day Present - February 2, 2010 in NA

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/13331.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22717.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25198.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25214.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25314.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25488.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26008.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41360.html

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733845p1.html

The latest RPG from the experts at Level 5 has been revealed in Famitsu. The developer of Dragon Quest VIII and Rogue Galaxy is working on Shirokishi Monogatari for the PlayStation 3. The title translates roughly to White Knight Story. Level 5 president Akihiro Hino is serving as producer on the title.

In this fantasy RPG, you take control of a boy who comes into the possession of an ancient artifact. The artifact gives him the ability to transform into the White Knight of the title, a 7-meter warrior from a time when such creatures nearly destroyed all of civilization.

White Knight Story places an emphasis on scale. In addition to the giant White Knight himself, and a similarly sized rival Black Knight, you'll encounter large-scale cities and enemies that extend over 2000 meters in size. One turtle-like enemy carries a full town on its back!

Speaking with Famitsu, Hino revealed that making a game with such a large scale is not an easy task. Texture limitations on previous machines meant that showing small details on large objects was not possible.

Hino also shared some insight into the original plans for the game. Rather than having the main character transform into the White Knight, Level 5 had originally considered having him ride on top of it. However, it was determined that this would require a giant of over 20 meters in size. Such a size discrepancy would have made it difficult to have the knight fight against human characters.

The main character isn't the only standard sized character in the game. Famitsu also introduces a short-haired heroine who appears to wield a knife, and an elderly knight who knows how to use magic. You'll also encounter a small species that uses small-sized aircraft for quick transportation and makes its living by selling the energy that the giant enemy creatures emit.

White Knight Story has all the elements of a Japanese RPG, from giant, freely navigated fields of play to battles. The fields of play let you see far into the distance so that you can identify enemies from afar. Enemies will also spot you, and will combine forces to attack.

Hino revealed to Famitsu that one of the big goals of the battle system in White Knight Story was realism both on the visual and gameplay levels. The game uses some sort of complex animation blending system, which Hino feels could not be achieved on previous systems. Level 5 made its own capture studio in order to create the game.

The developer also shied away from some of the paradigms of RPGs, like turn-based battles and standard "attack/magic/item/flee" menus. Prior to battle, you go into a "Battle Preparation" menu to set up your party of up to three characters. Each character can be equipped with a "function palette," consisting of a string of skills and moves -- everything from kicks to sword slashes. Skills can be added to the palette freely as long as you follow simple rules about what can follow what.

During battle, you can freely switch between the characters in your party, but you only control one character at a time. In addition to moving your character around on the battle field, all you have to do is press circle to execute the currently equipped function palette. The character then executes the moves, which are blended together realistically using the slick animation system mentioned above.

A palette can store up to 7 skills. You can save palettes and switch between them, suggesting that preparing different palettes ahead of time will be a strategic part of the game.

So where does the White Knight fit into the gameplay? You can transform into the White Knight during battle once you've filled up a meter by attacking enemies while in human form. When transformed, you make use of a special function palette which offers up powerful attacks. When facing off against a giant enemy, you'll want to full up your transformation meter and transform as soon as possible.

The Tokyo Game Show will offer our first look at White Knight Story, which despite its recent unveiling, seems to be far along in development. Stay tuned for more details later in the week.
Sounds like a mix of Shadow of the Colossus (huge as fuck enemies), FFXII (battle system and free-roam navigation), and Level 5 awesomeness.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734330p1.html
Level 5 made the PS2 sing with Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest VIII. Judging strictly by the early screenshots in Famitsu, it seemed that the team's first PS3 project, White Knight Story, wouldn't be the technological marvel that those two titles were.

And then I saw it move.

Sony Computer Entertainment is airing a short trailer for White Knight Story exclusively in its PlayStation 3 theater here at the Tokyo Game Show. The trailer consists of a short game play sequence where the main characters run about over an expansive forest field, encounter some enemies, then face off against a boss.

This may sound like a typical RPG demo. But wait until you see White Knight Story in motion. In our early preview of the game, we posted some comments from Level 5's Akihiro Hino, the producer of the game, regarding the title's focus on animation. He wasn't just hyping up his game; White Knight Story looks like no other Japanese RPG before it thanks to its next generation animation.

In a typical RPG, when you instruct one of your characters to perform a sword attack on in enemy, the character will jump at the enemy, slash his sword, then jump back. The enemy might block the attack, or might take on the full blow. Either way, the sword will probably pass right through the enemy.

That's how RPGs looked before White Knight Story. With Level 5's animation system, swords realistically strike other swords and shields, rather than cutting right through characters. If a character blocks an incoming attack, you'll see his shield go up and physically block the sword. The collision is perfect. In White Knight Story, two characters sparring really look like they're sparring.

From a modeling and shading point of view, White Knight Story is a pretty good looking next generation title, with distant views of its natural landscapes and smooth, at times surreal camera movement. See it in motion, with the most realistic animation ever seen in the genre, and you'll understand what the next generation of RPG visuals is all about. The game's battle scenes look less like gameplay footage than they do the hand scripted sequences that we've seen in countless RPG cut-scenes before.

The TGS demo shows the characters and enemies performing a number of moves over the course of a single battle. The battle starts with your three allies splitting up to take on the three enemies. The main character engages in a sword fight with one of the enemies, and quickly lays waste to him. He then
grabs a second enemy, allowing a female party member to take him out. The third enemy attempts to flee, prompting everyone in your party to follow in pursuit.

This is where the White Knight of the title enters the scene. Your party members are stopped by a giant fire beast. One member runs into attack, but is batted away. The main character tells the female character to step aside, as he shouts out a chant and transforms into the White Knight. The 7-meter alter form charges at the fire beast and leaps in for an attack. Just as you're getting hyped up to see the game's animation engine work on large scale enemies, the demo comes to a close.

White Knight Story looks far along in development. It has all the menus and maps in place, it has attractive titles that introduce new areas and bosses, and it even has voices, with English subtitles (which we presume were specially prepared for the TGS version).

Hopefully this is an indication that we'll get a chance to experience what could be the next generation of RPG gaming in the not-so-distant future.
:drool: I cannot wait to see a video of all of this.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6341

Check it out and see what the fuss is about.[/quote]

Yeah, it looks really sweet. The only Level 5 RPG I have played is Dark Cloud 2 and for some reason, this reminds me of the battle system - although vastly improved.

I think I am completely over turned-based RPGs and random battles. Bring on more RPGs like these.

Level 5 rules. I loved Dark Cloud 2. Sooooo many great looking RPGs coming for PS3 and 360--I only hope they all make it to the US quickly.

[quote name='newtype06']can anyone youtube it?[/quote]
Why? If you don't want to watch it on there, just download it and watch it at your leisure instead of having to see any quality removed to be on youtube.

I'm very impressed with this game... It looks like a true next gen RPG.. time will tell though... I just like the fact that it's not another "Zelda"

hell yes, look like Playstation is dominating the RPG market all over again.

sadly, that also means im pretty much forced to buy ps3.

but then again, while I love having choices, I also hate buying 2+ consoles to play all the rpgs.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why? If you don't want to watch it on there, just download it and watch it at your leisure instead of having to see any quality removed to be on youtube.[/quote]

well i need to post it on my blog and sadly it can only show youtube videos (livejournal) :(

[quote name='newtype06']well i need to post it on my blog and sadly it can only show youtube videos (livejournal) :([/quote]
Did you try the "add this video to your site" button below the video? If that doesn't work, you could just try to upload it yourself if you want it on youtube.

You know what this looks like to me? Gold. I think Sony really nailed TGS... well, the third party supporters did. I knew I'd be getting a PS3 at some point, but TGS has shown me through games like this that I need one.

Holy fucking ballsacks.

This game looks REALLY cool. I didnt even think id like it...

Look at the fighting animations and crap! WOOO!

PS3 is fucking pumping out some amazing titles non stop...

[quote name='Zoglog']only if you're an insider ;)[/quote]
:whistle2:s You don't need any kind of account to download from gamevideos at all. I've been doing it all week and haven't been loggen in, if my 1up account works for the site, so there's no need to sign up if you don't want to.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:whistle2:s You don't need any kind of account to download from gamevideos at all. I've been doing it all week and haven't been loggen in, if my 1up account works for the site, so there's no need to sign up if you don't want to.[/QUOTE]

ah, k I thought you were referring to the IGN one.

By the way, that was actual gameplay, right? Because I didn't notice any load times whatsoever which is a very important advancement...

Either way, this game looks like perfection. Level 5 started off kinda iffy with games like Dark Cloud... but wow. They've really become one of the best developers in the industry.

[quote name='Chacrana']By the way, that was actual gameplay, right? Because I didn't notice any load times whatsoever which is a very important advancement...

Either way, this game looks like perfection. Level 5 started off kinda iffy with games like Dark Cloud... but wow. They've really become one of the best developers in the industry.[/QUOTE]

I thought both Dark Cloud games were pretty good.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I thought both Dark Cloud games were pretty good.[/QUOTE]

The combat was kinda crappy and there were a lot of minor annoyances that added up. Y'know, like constantly having to repair weapons and drinking water every 2 minutes. The games had some good ideas, but they were pretty flawed in their executions.

[quote name='Chacrana']The combat was kinda crappy and there were a lot of minor annoyances that added up. Y'know, like constantly having to repair weapons and drinking water every 2 minutes. The games had some good ideas, but they were pretty flawed in their executions.[/QUOTE]

You have a point with the repair and water but the former wasn't a major issue to most if the game is good which DC and DC2 are the 3D successors to the Enix Trilogy so I'm willing to be more lenient with them. However weapons that would only have so many uses annoy the fuck out of me, see FF Legend.
Chac in terms of load time have you played "eNCHANT arM"? It's got almost none unless Ubi Soft fucked up the port to here since I didn't see any in the Asian version I played.

I like the way the combat was shown in that video. About time you can tagteam a single bad guy the right way after all his allies have been dispatched. Talking about when the main guy grabs the soldier from the back and the girl helps kill him.

[quote name='panasonic']Just watched the original video again and was so amazed just wondering if anything else has been said after the first video. :D:drool::drool::drool:[/QUOTE]

nope. I wouldn't expect any news until E3

[quote name='DarkNessBear']http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/4m/pre07/shirokishi.wmv

New trailer.

Looks. Amazing!

Cannot wait!

:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

That was fantastic. I hope Sony gets this up on the JPN store soon, love to have this on my PS3. It's awesome to see how much Level 5 has grown in scope with each game. Dark Cloud looks like it was eons ago compared to the style and grandeur of this one...

I enjoyed watching the new trailer a good deal. I know not to doubt the quality of the gameplay in a Level 5 game, so it was nice to see that the game will also have quality CG to complement the storytelling. I'm digging the art too, which is refreshing after starting to play Enchanted Arms recently. EA's an okay game for $20, but visually inspiring it is not.

[quote name='zewone']FMV trailers do nothing for me.[/quote]
While we would all like more gameplay footage, 3/4 in-game engine renderings and 1/4 CG isn't all bad.

The new trailer looks amazing. Even if it's CG, it provides insight into the art/music style, as well as hints of the storyline - all of which are looking fantastic.

This game is right up there with LittleBigPlanet as my most anticipated PS3 games.

[quote name='darkintragedy']While we would all like more gameplay footage, 3/4 in-game engine renderings and 1/4 CG isn't all bad.[/quote]
Yea, looked like very little of that trailer was FMV.

But the FMV parts... uh... were amazing... :drool:

People never ever give credit to FMV though. Its weird. Its like people think its easy to do. Yes making something look nice and be an FMA or gameplay is harder but making FMV Cutscenes like that is insane. Its so amazingily detailed and beautiful.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea, looked like very little of that trailer was FMV.

But the FMV parts... uh... were amazing... :drool:

People never ever give credit to FMV though. Its weird. Its like people think its easy to do. Yes making something look nice and be an FMA or gameplay is harder but making FMV Cutscenes like that is insane. Its so amazingily detailed and beautiful.[/quote]

I agree, the FMV scenes are quite beautiful indeed - definately, not simple to create.

This game looks promising - I'll definately keep an eye out for this.

35 seconds of the video was FMV Prerendered Cutscenes.

40 Seconds was Logo's/Text.

The rest of it was Real time, game engine fun.

Trailer is 3 mins and 12 seconds long.

bread's done
Back