CAGcast #52: Oops, I Did It Again

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
In this episode, CheapyD gets his PS3 and doles out impressions, Wombat attempts to get a free Wii, and both discuss the latest industry news and answer your questions from the CAGbag. We also announce contests for Gears of War, Death Jr 2: Root of Evil, and Kameo.

For our ongoing figure contest (prizes: Namco, Nintendo, Phoenix Wright), Just post a comment below and you will be entered.
We will do a super drawing during one of our 50th episode specials (CAGcast #53). Sorry!

Download - 66 minutes, 31MB
(If you haven't yet done so, PLEASE review us by clicking here!)
RSS feed - Add to Google - Add to My Yahoo
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast52.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage
:
Intro music: Robocop Arcade Game (DataEast)

CAGcast Contest -

CAGcast Voicemail! - Leave us a message
CAGcast Survey

CONTEST: Win Gears of War of Xbox 360
CONTEST: Death Jr 2: Root of Evil Prize Pack
CONTEST: Win Kameo for the Xbox 360

CheapyD on Bloomberg - Take 3
PS3 Unboxing

New releases

Ridiculous PS3 Bundle on Walmart.com

Xbox 360 Premium and core system get 100MIR at Microcenter
Circuit City Midnight Launch

Japan PS3 Launch, The Dark Side
Official PlayStation Mag dead, demo disc the killer?
1UP zings Neverwinter Nights 2
Sony admits 200 PS2 games not working on PS3

Nintendo Wii marketing to exceed $200 million

Outro: Lock N Chase - Intellivision

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDMgLbRIMMY[/media] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcdcWgp6Ew[/media]

Cheapy - Did you have to beg Wombat to do this show? Jesus christ! I've seen more animation from a rock! I think you guys should consider choosing a guest host to fill in when you are having one of those "not so fresh feeling" days. Then again, there is always this alternative.

Seriously though, this show didn't have its usual spice. Cheapy was "like water", ebb and flowing like a ninja in the wind and Wombat was "like oil", great to cook with but a pain in the ass to clean up. You guys never meshed in this episode and you seemed to be rushing through the topics just to get it over with.

Awesome show Cheapy, but Wombat Zelda is so not under the radar everyone is talking about it. That game doesn't even need the promotion it will be the biggest seller of the year no doubt about it. You guys did seem very rushy on the episode though and sounds like Ms plan worked of releasing Gears of War next to ps3 being you just proved you didn't even care to talk about it nor do you even sound like you care you have the ps3. I'm also kind of curious about the 2 prizes you gave out when you started the contest when those will get shipped. Because I was one of the winners.

I forgot to add the Child's Play $5.00 a ticket thing is a great idea. I will be buying a few tickets.

[quote name='daphatty']Cheapy - Did you have to beg Wombat to do this show? Jesus christ! I've seen more animation from a rock! I think you guys should consider choosing a guest host to fill in when you are having one of those "not so fresh feeling" days. Then again, there is always this alternative.

Seriously though, this show didn't have its usual spice. Cheapy was "like water", ebb and flowing like a ninja in the wind and Wombat was "like oil", great to cook with but a pain in the ass to clean up. You guys never meshed in this episode and you seemed to be rushing through the topics just to get it over with.[/QUOTE]

Its funny because the pre-show was the exact opposite, but my excuse was the terrible connection, I spent most the time fiddling with the wires and knobs I looked like a 1940's telephone operator, there was bad weather in both of our locations, consider this episode a test ;)

[quote name='Wombat']Its funny because the pre-show was the exact opposite, but my excuse was the terrible connection, I spent most the time fiddling with the wires and knobs I looked like a 1940's telephone operator, there was bad weather in both of our locations, consider this episode a test ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the first part of this show had perhaps the worst audio of any CAGcast that I can remember. I'll accept your excuse on that one, Wombat. I will agree with daphatty that you guys seemed to rush over some stuff in this episode though. If you have to go a little longer than usual, go a little longer. This is the time of year when there is a lot of stuff to talk about, so it's understandable if you can't fit everything into a normal length show, but the beauty of a podcast is that there's no set time limit.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this show, it just felt like you guys sold yourselves a little short on this one.

Great show as always. And wombat's right about Viva Pinata, it is the perfect compliment to Gears. It's a great alternative to have for when you're not quite sure what you want to play

Yeah Zelda doesn't need promoting. Nintendo's Wii marketing budget is going towards the casual gamer.

Show began slow. Felt like we were listening in on a corporate meeting.

PS3 impressions piece wasn't too exciting. Of course maybe that's what we supposed to feel. :p

what happened to those voicemails that were supposed to be recorded for the 50th?

re: zelda PR debacle?
your sony statement kinda sums up what I think of the zelda situation... why spend the money on promotion when you know it'll do well? I think I started seeing ads for New Super Mario Brothers after it came out.

re: ps3 controller
you probably can turn on a laptop, plug in the usb on your laptop and maybe the laptop will provide enough juice to keep it running so you don't have to kiss your screen.

Gotdamn, this is the longest contest for a $3 gashopon evar!

Tagged for more comments after I actually get to listen...and maybe I've already been swayed by all the semi-bitchy comments so far...

Does this episode need a do-over? I don't mind restarting the level if it came out like thrustbucket's new sig.

As for the charity stuff--I like! I'd do that if you make it happen. $1000 @ P-A is PS3 apparently.

edit: I'm about 20 minutes in and it's not as bad as some are saying.

I really like your idea for a raffle for Child's Play instead of auctions. I think allowing multiple entries ($5 each) like you suggested will encourage higher support. I'd suggest, though, splitting the prize into two $500 prizes instead of one $1000 prize. $500 is more than enough for one person to spend on Play-Asia and this way, two people can get in on the love.

I guess the hangover from the 50th show finally kicked in. It seemed like the show was more of a chore then in previous weeks. It really didn't grab my attention like the other episodes, maybe because I am not looking at getting a ps3 for a while, but either way not one of my favorites.

I agree with Cheapy and Wombat about Gears and Viva Pinata both great games that complement each other nicely.

Also, I wish Wombat had talked more about what he thought of Gears of War. Cheapy really liked it, but Wombat seemed like he was avioding the subject.

What about a contest for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories?

That's the one I'm most interested in, but don't wanna pick up due to the high price in stores.

But regardless, thanks for all of these prizes and freebies, nice episode as well.

Im downloading to me Ipod right now. I will let you know what I think after I watch it. BTW, this will be my first EVER CAGcast. (I am just starting to get into the whole Podcast thing.)

[quote name='shadowforte']Im downloading to me Ipod right now. I will let you know what I think after I watch it. BTW, this will be my first EVER CAGcast. (I am just starting to get into the whole Podcast thing.)[/QUOTE]

I hope you aren't too shocked to find out that you can't watch the show since it's an audio only podcast.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Also, I wish Wombat had talked more about what he thought of Gears of War. Cheapy really liked it, but Wombat seemed like he was avioding the subject.[/QUOTE]

In case you missed it, Wombat seemed like he was avoiding the entire show...

[quote name='daphatty']I hope you aren't too shocked to find out that you can't watch the show since it's an audio only podcast.

In case you missed it, Wombat seemed like he was avoiding the entire show...[/QUOTE]

Not avoiding, fixing, at one point I was holding the wires that go into my mbox in the air to keep the connection alive, its pretty sad really and distracting

[quote name='Wombat']Not avoiding, fixing, at one point I was holding the wires that go into my mbox in the air to keep the connection alive, its pretty sad really and distracting[/QUOTE]

Maybe you could show us what that means during the CAGcast wrap-up show tonight? I can't seem to wrap my head around the extra equipment you guys use. I'm stuck in the "It's only skype" mindset.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the CAGCast NY studio either. Not the best outing, but still the CAGCast, therefore great.

[quote name='TheHiei']What about a contest for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories?

That's the one I'm most interested in, but don't wanna pick up due to the high price in stores.

But regardless, thanks for all of these prizes and freebies, nice episode as well.[/quote] Ooops...forgot that one. Let's save that for later this month.

Cheapy--you I love the site, and love the CAGcast, but you really had a lame-ass excuse for not getting these contests together. Don't let us down in #53, OK?

Pretty good show. Wombat's mooching is at an all time high. You don't even really mention the free game's you get for more than three seconds. At least give out a vocal review. After all they did send ya a copy. As for the PlayAsia raffle, I'll be down for $5 bucks.

I loved how you guys were bickering like an old couple when Wombat was talking about his attempt to get a free Wii. :lol:

It kind of seemed like you guys rushed to put the show together with the skipping of topics throughout the show. Otherwise, it was a good show.

Man, what happened guys? This episode was dismal.

Still, it's the CAGcast, so it's 99% better than anything else out there. CAGcast on its worst day still trumps the likes of Major Nelson and Penny Arcade.

kinda disapointed with the ps3 coverage but overall good show >.> i hope next week show has coverage on resistance multiplayer, and wombat your mooching is not at a all time high, we just got haters >.> on the forums

[quote name='tribal24']kinda disapointed with the ps3 coverage but overall good show >.> i hope next week show has coverage on resistance multiplayer, and wombat your mooching is not at a all time high, we just got haters >.> on the forums[/QUOTE]

Doesn't help that Cheapy would rather play GoW than Resistance. Launches are always mediocre. I'm hoping the PS3 will pick up steam soon after launch.

Regarding the PS3 hoarding in Japan and everywhere else:

Anybody who pays more than MSRP for a console is nuts in my opinion. Unless you are a multi-millonaire and don't give a shit over $1500.00 save your hard earned money for something else. If I can't walk into Wal-Mart at 10:00 am on a saturday and buy my groceries, my beer, and my Wii or PS3 in that order at my leisure then I don't frelling want it! I don't blame resellers but if everyone was like this they wouldn't make a dime. Sadly, the people who blow $1500 on a console are mostly the people who can afford $1500 the least.

Another great CAGcast a pleasure to listen to as always. I think it would be fantastic if you used the Bubble Bobble theme to open episode #53 in honor of the Wii launch as this is one of my favorite old school NES game. The idea of holding a raffle for Child's Play is a fantastic idea and Kudos to Play-Asia for stepping up and "sponsoring" the idea. Wombat needs to take his lazy bum to the Nintendo store in New York and buy CheapyD a stinkin' Wii - he is the only white man in Japan for crying out loud. Do what you feel is right Wombat!

for some reason during the entire cagcast, i have this feeling that Cheapy is trying to rush it to get back to Gears of War.....or maybe i'm just crazy. :rofl:

Hey guys,

Great show, but one major question, and it is technical. I can hear Wombat perfectly clear but sometimes Cheapy's mic sounds distorted and harder to hear. Anyone else notice this?

[quote name='soccerstud652']Great show, but one major question, and it is technical. I can hear Wombat perfectly clear but sometimes Cheapy's mic sounds distorted and harder to hear. Anyone else notice this?[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that too. It seemed to be more apparent in this show than in others in recent memory.

Great idea for the charity--I want that $1,000!

(hmm, that doesn't sound very charitable now that I read it)

Thanks for another excellent show, guys. My only complaint is that Cheapy sounded as if he was phoning in from Tokyo via a Campbell’s Soup can and some dental floss. I also have to say that I find Wombat’s new penchant for not mooching to be a detriment to the show. I long for our favorite marsupial to return to the “gimme gimme gimme” mentality of old. Still, you delivered as always. Rawk on.

Good show. I am motivated to comment to win some brickabrack, but I will write more to make it "worthwhile"

Re: Wombat on Zelda - I think Nintendo is mainly going to dump it's ad money into selling the console itself and the games that largely appeal to non-traditional gamers. I think the traditional gamer that cares about Zelda already plans to buy it and an ad for it has limited returns. Toting the console to AARP meetings, as they've been doing, seems more in line with their advertising goals than hyping up Link's latest to us nerds.

Re: PS3 Headset - I couldn't agree with Cheapy more. I'm sure there's a Sony headset out there that will work, but the people... the people are stupid, the people are lazy. You need a package that says "PS3 Official Headset! This one works on your PS3! Buy me at a high markup!"

Re: Paying people to wait in line - This wins my whoGAS award of the week. Now if they were using starving immigrant children and making them wait to keep their mom from being shot, then it would be a problem. As it is, it sounds like they were getting paid a pretty decent wage to sit or stand for a couple of days. Decent work if you can get it.

[quote name='The-Bavis']Re: PS3 Headset - I couldn't agree with Cheapy more. I'm sure there's a Sony headset out there that will work, but the people... the people are stupid, the people are lazy. You need a package that says "PS3 Official Headset! This one works on your PS3! Buy me at a high markup!"[/quote]
They don't have an official one because it uses pretty much any USB/Bluetooth headset that you may have. I would think something like this is the "official" headset for the PS3.

bread's done
Back