Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Voting is now open for Brick & Mortar Deal of the Year.
This award goes to the single best specific B&M (physical store) deal or sale of 2006.

Circuit City: $8.97 Summer Sale
Microcenter: Xbox 360 Rebate Deals
GameStop / EBgames: Trade in 3, Get $10 extra Credit
Rhino: Trade in 2 Get 1 Free
Toys R Us: December Clearance

The 3-for-extra $10 trade in deal for EB/GS. It paid for only a couple of my games (FFXII, Trauma Center:SO, and Hotel Dusk), but I'm quite sure it paid off other people's new games/consoles as well.

[quote name='Over easy']The 3-for-extra $10 trade in deal for EB/GS. It paid for only a couple of my games (FFXII, Trauma Center:SO, and Hotel Dusk), but I'm quite sure it paid off other people's new games/consoles as well.[/quote]

Yea i think thats my vote. Got a ps3 and Wii + some.

[quote name='sying']Rhino trade 2 get 1 free deal... RIP Rhino[/QUOTE]

fuck yea. Better than any other sale ever for any year.

The EB/GS 3 for $10, which was stackable with their Game Informer coupons, edge/more card, and putting that credit towards the reservation of Gears, Zelda, or FF12 for another stack attack. As a result, you may have received an extra 30-50% trade-in credit depending on how they stacked it (YMMV).

[quote name='Over easy']The 3-for-extra $10 trade in deal for EB/GS. It paid for only a couple of my games (FFXII, Trauma Center:SO, and Hotel Dusk), but I'm quite sure it paid off other people's new games/consoles as well.[/QUOTE]

Thirded, or fourthed, whatever - paid for my Wii plus I still have about $400 in credit left for games. The Rhino deal sounded great, but it was too regional. Just about every CAG could take advantage of the EB/GS deal especially if you combined it with various clearances (notably Kmart and Gamerush). I personally used it to transfer nearly $750 in GR credit to EB/GS at a slight profit using crappy clearance games. The GR credit would be sitting there with nothing to spend on right now otherwise (plus they have yet to get a Wii in, so it was definitely a good move back in July-Aug to move that credit).

A close second would be the ongoing Kmart clearance - pretty much they had $1-$8 games of various types all year. Not only did I fill out my collection with plenty of cheap games (Donkey Konga and DK Jungle Beat with bongoes for $5 each, Ape Escape 3 for $4, True Swing Golf for $3.50, etc) it provided trade-in fodder for a number of deals (most notably the EB/GS one but also for the $5 bonus at GR and for regular credit at Gamecrazy).

My third choice would be the 75% off clearance at Blockbuster/Gamerush. There were tons of great deals to be found at Gamerush stores, but even regular Blockbusters had a handful of titles available - things like Soul Calibur II for $5 (new).

[quote name='Ma12kez']The EB/GS 3 for $10, which was stackable with their Game Informer coupons, edge/more card, and putting that credit towards the reservation of Gears, Zelda, or FF12 for another stack attack. As a result, you may have received an extra 30-50% trade-in credit depending on how they stacked it (YMMV).[/quote]

Agreed 100%.

The FYE trade 4 used for 1 new was great for me. Mainly b/c the exclusion list was so shallow. I traded in old old sports games for Bully and FF12 new.

Reading this thread makes me sad at all the great stuff I missed out on :(

I nominate the Black Friday sale at Circuit City. 250gb Hard drive for 40$? Ya plox.

The Gamestop after Christmas sale. I got Chibi Robo and Fire Emblem:poR for $10 new.

The $37.49 Twilight Princess at CC was also great.

[quote name='Backlash']The FYE trade 4 used for 1 new was great for me. Mainly b/c the exclusion list was so shallow. I traded in old old sports games for Bully and FF12 new.[/quote]

This is what I thought of immediately. I got rid of so much garbage for brand new games!

[quote name='shrike4242']EB 3/+$10 promotion. Netted me $600 in credit in non-flipped games.[/quote]
Agreed. Got over $200 in credit to pay off 3/5 of a launch Wii along with paying for Bully, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, and a few used games.

Gamestop/EB's $10.00 extra for every 3 games traded in.

I got a fuckload of credit thanks to that deal. No/minimal exclusions FTW.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Microplay's $100 off the 360.[/QUOTE]
microcenter's*

and I vote for that too.

[quote name='Roufuss']fuck yea. Better than any other sale ever for any year.[/QUOTE]

I'd so agree, but no one really had a Rhino's, which is unfortunate.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the TRU December 26th Game Clearance... alot of good choices for a great price. Best deal on DS titles I've seen in a while.[/quote]

I am with this one though the $10 extra was a godsend. I grabbed RE4, Metal Saga, Artieler Iris 2 and Tales for $50+tax and last weekend I found a copy of Gallop Racer 2006 for $20 (still surprised they had a few copies last weekend)

Microcenter's $100 rebate off of a 360 plus $100 back for signing up for their BofA credit card was a great deal.

But even that wasn't as good as the Rhino trade 2/get 1 sale.

As I look at my collection, one sale comes to mind that added a ridiculous amount of games to it. It came from a sale I actually reported myself, it started nearly 1 year ago to date, so many could be quick to forget...

GameCrazy Price Drops! Taiko, GallopRacer, TimeCrisis W/Gun 19.99 or less and more!!
http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82347

With almost 500 replies, this sale was discussed for 5 months! It even had it's own trade thread to go along with it. I myself got the entire PS2 GunCon Collection, Donkey Konga Games, Taikos, Eyetoy games, and PS2 RPG's for amazing prices at the time.

How the hell did you people net so much money from 3-for extra $10 at EB? Geez...

My vote goes to CC's 8.97 sale or whatever.

[quote name='62t']FYE4 for one trade in deal. Buy used sport games and trade them in for new release.[/quote]

My vote is for this one ... because if you did it right you could of got an unlimited amount of credit from EB / GS with only spending about 10$ of your own money :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back