[DEAD] Free XBox 360 game w/ ImagineCup quiz STUDENTS ONLY

gravkill

CAGiversary!
3/17/2008
Free sealed Gears of War arrived!

Edit 3/12/2008
DHL tracking numbers have gone out, check your email. My delivery estimate is 3/17/2008.

Edit 2/18/2008
The free game is Gears of War!

Microsoft is pushing their ImagineCup with a free XBox 360 game (of the sponsor's choosing). To be eligible, you must be a student in college (high school maybe too?) and complete one of the ImagineCup quizzes by 2/1/2008.

http://www.microsoft4me.com/imaginecup/giftoffer.htm

You do not have to pass the quiz, only complete it. I'm not sure which ones are left, but I know the last IT quiz is 1/31/2008 at 2AM Central time. That is going to suck, but I will probably make a night out of it and go out, play some Rock Band, then take the quiz.

The game is of the sponsor's choosing, so I guess it is essentially random. You can always eBay/trade/GameStop it.

Just make sure you enter your school's name when you register. Read the details to see if high school/community/technical/other schools are eligible, I am not sure. I have not taken any of these this year or in the past, so I don't have much info to share. I will post more details if I find out more. If you participated last year, please share your experience!

EDIT
For clarification, you must complete a Round 1 Online Quiz by 2/1/2008. Quizzes are only offered at specific times, check the categories to see when.

EDIT2 - removed

EDIT3 01/30/08
Reminder - The IT Quiz goes live 2AM Central time 1/31/08. So you need to stay up or wake up after midnight tonight.

http://imaginecup.com/Competition/mycompetitionportal.aspx?competitionId=14

The above site also has the clock.

Be sure you have entered the information on your profile. Select the IT Challenge competition, and click Send Certificate. Link a Microsoft Live ID to your ImagineCup account. In the competition step by step box on the above page, make sure all the check marks are checked (except the round 1 quiz obviously)!

not sure if this is a trap...but I'm all over it if it isn't...

[quote name='Nohbdy']What, no community college?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure, check the details. Updated original post to read 'college' instead of 'university'.

According to the fine print, you have to be enrolled in:

"an accredited educational institution at any time between January 1, 2007, and May 31, 2008. For purpose of this Offer, “accredited educational institution” means any school that grants high-school or college / university (or equivalent) degrees. "

So most any college or university should work. As far as what you need to do...hmm, I'm not sure actually. The site it links to makes mention of quizes, but I can't tell what you actually have to give as a valid entry...

As far as I know, its just a sort of mental challenge (feeling for new employees?) put on by Microsoft. I'm sure the top finishers get talked to by recruiters.

Apparently according to the rules you can do any of the challenges and get the game, but the IT quiz seems to be the easiest (or least work anyways)

Guys, this is NOT ONLY open to college students. HIGH SCHOOL students may participate aswell.

Also, some community colleges are listed on the website, so they must be eligible.

I don't think your institution needs to be on the list. There is a place to just type in your school. (though I don't know if that is OK, as mine was on the list)

[quote name='prence']Pretty much there Jim.[/quote]
Thanks for the confirmation, Johnny.

Now to remember to wake up, bullshit this quiz for 2 minutes, submit results and wait for my game.

Thanks OP, I signed up. Hopefully I can remember, and 3 am est is going suck, but a free game is probably worth 10-15 min of inconvience.

What the hell? A quiz at 3AM on Friday (for us Central zoners)?

Granted I don't have classes on Friday but still, who's the moron that decided the quiz time?

[quote name='gravkill']Yeah I agree, the web site is horrible. Maybe they should spend some of their IT expertise on their own site....

Here is the IT page with the countdown for the quiz you need to take to qualify for the free game.
http://imaginecup.com/Competition/mycompetitionportal.aspx?competitionId=14[/QUOTE]
It doesn't have to be this one. You just have to make a valid entry into any of the 9 categories under the competition tab.

Thanks OP. Hope this pays off.

[quote name='CouRageouS']It doesn't have to be this one. You just have to make a valid entry into any of the 9 categories under the competition tab.

Thanks OP. Hope this pays off.[/quote]

To receive a Xbox 360 game of Sponsor’s choosing, you must navigate to www.imaginecup.com, register for any one of the nine main 2008 Imagine Cup invitationals (Software Design, Embedded Development, Game Development, Project Hoshimi, IT Challenge, Algorithm, Photography, Short Film, Interface Design), and submit a valid entry.

General Guidelines - North America Competition

• Teams of up to 4 individuals registered on Imagine Cup Web site by May 2 2008
  • 1 mentor strongly suggested
  • Team members may come from different schools
  • Theme: Imagine a world where technology enables a sustainable environment
  • 10 Teams will advance to the National Finals in the US
  • Presentations and documentation at the worldwide finals must be in English
  • 1 Team will advance to the World Wide finals in France
  • Presentations and documentation at the worldwide finals must be in English
  • All projects must include at least 2 Required Elements and 2 Optional Elements

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Umm... not too sure. That site doesn't look legit.[/quote]

you have to enter a contest for students where you design, make, do something. i dunno why these people think they are getting a free game...

Strange promotion. I thought the chance at winning money would be enough for people...

I will say I have done the Imagine Cup a couple of years back in high school. It is legit. My friend and I got pretty far with the competition (we did the Project Hoshimi one) back then. Not surprised the website is still a mess and hard to navigate. The contest was a real bitch to deal with because the documentation, instructions, rules, and everything else posted on their website and partner website (back then they had like a community-based website for no practical reason really) was hard to understand and incoherent.

But, we did manage to get to like the quarterfinals or something.

Imagine Cup is no doubt legitimate. The Microsoft4Me site however seems suspect to me. I'm a Microsoft Student Partner, we help promote IC, and I've never heard of that site or the promotion. As someone who promotes it, you'd think I'd hear of a great incentive like this - it would help make my job easier.

I've asked some high-ups if they can confirm this, but it make take a few days to get a response.

bread's done
Back