11/11 Update: Radiant Historia (DS) $16.21 at Amazon -- Prime Eligible

KingofGames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Excellent game, fantastic price. Pretty sure this is the cheapest I have seen it brand new. Keep in mind this was once fetching nearly $100 on Ebay.

Radiant Historia $16.21

Again, not sure if this is the cheapest it has been, but you can't go wrong at this price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it! I've been wanting this one for a while. Great price.

Edit: Price dropped, so cancelled and re-ordered! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is a steal at sub-$20. Just finished it and clocked in 35-40 hours of play. I really enjoyed the different mechanics, story, and time travel aspect of the game.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']How does the Time Travel aspect in this stack up to, let's say, Chrono Trigger? No spoilers please.[/QUOTE]
At the beginning of the game, you make a choice and as we know from watching Community, any choice causes alternative timelines. This choice splits the timeline into the primary timeline and an alternative history timeline. As you go along further into either timeline, choices will splinter outward to form other diverging paths. Some will bring you to a bad ending (but not the end of the game), and some will cause a negative outcome, but still allows you to proceed with the game. At some point while playing either timeline you will hit a point which the only way to proceed is to do something in the other timeline, so you crisscross back and forth to advance with the ultimate goal of saving the world.

If you arrive at an event which is a bad ending, the caretakers of time will save you and bring you back to the last node. Nodes are points in the timeline (happen every 3-4 events) which you can travel back to at any point to replay the section in order to correct a mistake or try a different tactic. This way you can play along and not worry about missing anything as you simply jump to that point on the timeline to play it again, it means in one playthrough you can see every ending. It really feels like you can change history.

It's much more robust than say Chrono Trigger where time travel is more like jumping between different worlds than it is jumping to a different point in history since the time periods are so far apart that that is completely unrecognizable from the present. In Radiant Historia, all the time traveling is done in the present, in events between when the main character gains the ability to time travel and the end of the game.

That sounds really cool, and even reminds me of Virtue's Last Reward I'm playing, jumping between bits via the Flow Chart. I might have to jump on it soon. Thanks.

Battle system is engaging (don't just spam attacks, you plot a sequence of moves to maximize damage), story and characters are quite good, the time travel mechanic is interesting, and its a good 35-50 hours (depending on if you want to do all the events to get the complete ending of the game). Unless one has a monstrous backlog or can't stand RPGs, I can't think of any reason not to pick this up at $18.

[quote name='Scouter']a bit more and i'll bite. not in a rush since i don't even have a ds yet.[/QUOTE]

You probably know this, but you may consider a 3DS XL. A 3DS because it runs DS games fine anyway (but does NOT run Gameboy Advance games) in addition of course to 3DS games. The "3D" is a gimmick and crappy, the hardware is years out of date (it's basically a PSP competitor) but it already has a pretty strong library. An XL 'cause it's not much more expensive, and has DRASTICALLY bigger screens. It looks sleeker too, and doesn't leave the marks on the screen the regular 3DS does. The original 3DS feels clumsy and rushed by comparison. Longer battery life on the XL compared to the original too with the default batteries. I've kept my original as a "beater" for the rare times I'm actually stuck out somewhere...figure if something happens to it, I won't care as much, but MAN are the screens tiny!

[quote name='guardian_owl']At the beginning of the game, you make a choice and as we know from watching Community, any choice causes alternative timelines. This choice splits the timeline into the primary timeline and an alternative history timeline. As you go along further into either timeline, choices will splinter outward to form other diverging paths. Some will bring you to a bad ending (but not the end of the game), and some will cause a negative outcome, but still allows you to proceed with the game. At some point while playing either timeline you will hit a point which the only way to proceed is to do something in the other timeline, so you crisscross back and forth to advance with the ultimate goal of saving the world.

If you arrive at an event which is a bad ending, the caretakers of time will save you and bring you back to the last node. Nodes are points in the timeline (happen every 3-4 events) which you can travel back to at any point to replay the section in order to correct a mistake or try a different tactic. This way you can play along and not worry about missing anything as you simply jump to that point on the timeline to play it again, it means in one playthrough you can see every ending. It really feels like you can change history.

It's much more robust than say Chrono Trigger where time travel is more like jumping between different worlds than it is jumping to a different point in history since the time periods are so far apart that that is completely unrecognizable from the present. In Radiant Historia, all the time traveling is done in the present, in events between when the main character gains the ability to time travel and the end of the game.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's easy to understand...by far the best description I've read! Nice work!

I finally bit...it showed up in my Goldbox for $17ish, so...what the heck. Bought Final Fantasy: 4 warriors of light or whatever too. I keep forgetting why it is I've avoided that, and just decided "eh, it's $20, I've liked every mainline Final Fantasy to date, this is supposedly Final Fantasy 3/5/10-2/Blue Dragon-ish, so...what the heck, can always sell it if it sucks. Art's nice if nothing else. Hope it runs a bit faster than 3 on the DS did though...a little sluggish to load and whatnot, but oh well.

I have a feeling they are trying to get rid of this game... They usually do this by lowering the price by a few dollars each week.. Which is what they have been doing with this game

[quote name='jrr6415sun']I have a feeling they are trying to get rid of this game... They usually do this by lowering the price by a few dollars each week.. Which is what they have been doing with this game[/QUOTE]

Just like Majin

This game is pretty fantastic. It's pretty cool seeing the alternate bad endings play out. It reminds me of when you made a wrong decision in a Choose Your Own Adventure book, and the story skips ahead and sums up why that last dumb decision you made means the end of the world. Good storyline, multi-dimensional characters, interesting enough battle system, and the music and graphics are pretty nice as well.

Finally bit at $18. I had something for $7 also just sitting in my cart waiting to be bought so I figured why not go for it. It'd be nice if it drops cheaper but I don't want to risk it suddenly shooting back up and based on everything I've heard about the game it's worth the $18.

It's at $16.29 currently. I'm tempted to add :ds: Aliens Infestation for $9.99 to my order to qualify for the free shipping. When I do finally get a :3ds:, I'm going to have quite the backlog already. Such is the way of the CAG.

[quote name='Bosamba']It's at $16.29 currently. I'm tempted to add :ds: Aliens Infestation for $9.99 to my order to qualify for the free shipping. When I do finally get a :3ds:, I'm going to have quite the backlog already. Such is the way of the CAG.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to likely get a 3ds XL sometime...it's gone low enough i'm buying it for when I get them system.

[quote name='Bosamba']It's at $16.29 currently. I'm tempted to add :ds: Aliens Infestation for $9.99 to my order to qualify for the free shipping. When I do finally get a :3ds:, I'm going to have quite the backlog already. Such is the way of the CAG.[/QUOTE]

Available stock has not dropped below 999. we might see $15 soon.

I bite. Wanted $15, but $16.21 is close enough. Not going to risk it over $1.

Bought both. Had no idea Infestation was down that low. Thanks!!

YESSS. Amazon gave me the refund on the lower price. From 22.23 to 16.21. Wasnt gonna do much when it went to 20, and even 18, but dropping to 16 for a 6 dollar difference is enough for me to chat with Amazon. Literally took 2 mins for her to do the refund and I have Prime. Awesome price

Cancelled after ordering at $18 and re-ordered with a different item to get to free shipping. This time I'm keeping it, not going to risk it, especially with the number of copies available dropping.

I bought my copy on Thursday when it was at 22.XX and was dismayed when I saw the price dropped...and dropped...and dropped to 16.XX today.

I called Amazon customer service and requested a post-order price match. Since the item shipped on Friday, they were not able to give me a direct refund. However, with masterful use of my lexicon and my powers of persuasion, they were able to apply a $6.00 credit to my account (for me, good as cash).

Gah, I think I'm going to bite at this price. I keep hearing really good things about this one, and I've been on a portable kick lately. I was considering this at $20, so even if it drops a bit more, I doubt I'll be too bothered. Thanks OP!

[quote name='SeanAmI']How do you check the copies left?[/QUOTE]
Change the quantity in your cart to 999 and you'll see how much they have in stock.

[quote name='SeanAmI']How do you check the copies left?[/QUOTE]

When you put the game in the cart and go to check out, you can update how many copies of the game you want. Just type in 999, and it'll go down to the maximum amount currently available.

[quote name='SeanAmI']Its telling me only 1?[/QUOTE]

Add it to the cart, then go to the cart and update the quantity to 999 and it'll adjust it to whatever they actually have.

Shows about ~760.

I did that and it only says 1 available from that seller. Weird. Its limiting me to one and not allowing for multiple buys.

bread's done
Back