2013 Thrift Store Thread

I go to Goodwill several times a month, most of the time it's just junk that they've overpriced.  I've seen ps2 sports games for 5 dollars, etc.  At the one particular Goodwill that this is notorius for, my wife found Baseball Stars for a quarter.  I've found a GBA SP and it had a Madden 07 game in it for 3 dollars.  

The one near my job is a lot better.  I've found several N64 games, Turok 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, WWF No Mercy and one more I can't recall for 1 dollar a piece.  I also found Super Mario Brothers 3 and Mike Tyson's Punchout for a dollar. My biggest non video game score though is a Mitchell and Ness Vintage Hockey Chicago Blackhawks zip up hoodie for $4.25!

Forgot about: Nintendogs 3DS for a dollar.  My wife will be excited to get that dollar Christmas present.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, uh...., found a copy of NBA 2k14 for the PS4 at Goodwill for $25.

Don't have a PS4 yet so I'm thinking about just taking it to Gamestop tonight and getting the $34 credit for it towards Super Mario 3D World. Guess if I was patient I could stick on craigslist for $40-45.

I, uh...., found a copy of NBA 2k14 for the PS4 at Goodwill for $25.

Don't have a PS4 yet so I'm thinking about just taking it to Gamestop tonight and getting the $34 credit for it towards Super Mario 3D World. Guess if I was patient I could stick on craigslist for $40-45.
pics or I don't believe you lol

Picked up a 20GB 360 with Left 4 Dead 2 forgotten inside of it at Goodwill today for $20. Powers on and is working too.

The Goodwill employee was probably BS'n you. If it was brand new sealed from Target why would they need to open it to check for a disc?! Especially if its in the glasscase up front. They gave me the same line when I saw GTA 5 in the case. When I got home I saw a nice ring around the second disc. Most likely this was bought from Target, returned, then they gave it to GW. I know Ive bought sealed games from there before......

I thought I had a worthwhile trip to GW yesterday, found Spyro and Rayman for PS1, both complete for $3, and I even found a dollar on the ground (which really surprised me for GW mind you).  Feeling good so far, I walk from the DVD / game section to the electronics section, and then my heart sunk as I saw a guy walking around with a good condition SNES with two controllers and all the hook-ups.  He said he *just* picked it up, which means if I would of gone to that section first, I would of had it.

And for the kicker, neither Spyro or Rayman loaded up on my PS2 (I'll have to drag out my PSone to check for sure), so apparently the only good thing I may have gotten out of the trip was the dollar.

I thought I had a worthwhile trip to GW yesterday, found Spyro and Rayman for PS1, both complete for $3, and I even found a dollar on the ground (which really surprised me for GW mind you). Feeling good so far, I walk from the DVD / game section to the electronics section, and then my heart sunk as I saw a guy walking around with a good condition SNES with two controllers and all the hook-ups. He said he *just* picked it up, which means if I would of gone to that section first, I would of had it.

And for the kicker, neither Spyro or Rayman loaded up on my PS2 (I'll have to drag out my PSone to check for sure), so apparently the only good thing I may have gotten out of the trip was the dollar.
Try going in through the system browser on the ps2; I once found a Tetris Plus that worked but wouldn't auto-load for whatever reason.

Got a Sega Genesis model 2 for $9.99 at Goodwill yesterday.  It was only missing the a/v cable, so I just ordered it online.   

my goodwill is pretty much useless. with that being said i grabbed these two games for $6

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23353]
not the greatest find in the world but i love NBA2K and these games are basically mint condition and anytime i find a dreamcast game in the wild i buy it.

Try going in through the system browser on the ps2; I once found a Tetris Plus that worked but wouldn't auto-load for whatever reason.
I tried going manually through the system browser on my fat PS2, no dice. They both worked in the PSone after digging that out, though. I think I've only had one other PS1 game not work on my PS2 (and it was pretty scratched up, these two were decidedly less so), not sure if this is a sign of my PS2 starting to fade (hopefully not).

I picked up a Gamecube last month with no controller but complete otherwise for $13. I had a controller to match it from an earlier purchase so everything worked out well.

I've bought 4 consoles from Goodwill (helped my friend buy another so that is like five right?) all in working condition.

I'm a lucky bastard. 

my goodwill is pretty much useless. with that being said i grabbed these two games for $6

not the greatest find in the world but i love NBA2K and these games are basically mint condition and anytime i find a dreamcast game in the wild i buy it.
There is a Half Price Books in my neck of the woods that has a stack of about 10-12 dreamcast games in their clearance section for $2 apiece...It started at about 25 games a few months back. All the basic sports titles so no diamonds in the rough really but decent titles for a good price...

I went to a Goodwill today and found some game guides with a purple tag on them. Did they just create this new tag color?
Well, it may just be how the "department" the are in is coded. Some places I go have white, others have green and some have both.

You goodwill has genesis games though, so it is obviously better than mine and may be on some new shit. Mine never has any good retro games... but purple tags, that's new to me too

Stopped into an out of the way Goodwill tonight.  While browsing I spot a copy of The Wraith on DVD.  I was pretty excited until I realized there was no tape on the spine.  Of course I open it to see the disc is missing.  :censored:

The stores seem to be re-arranging the media area, instead of being in the glass case all games and movies are now on a shelf in the back.  Also they seem to not care if any of this stuff is stolen because there is no tape sealing any of the cases.  Pretty much every item I picked up to buy had an empty case.  I finally gave up and left.

Stopped into an out of the way Goodwill tonight. While browsing I spot a copy of The Wraith on DVD. I was pretty excited until I realized there was no tape on the spine. Of course I open it to see the disc is missing. :censored:

The stores seem to be re-arranging the media area, instead of being in the glass case all games and movies are now on a shelf in the back. Also they seem to not care if any of this stuff is stolen because there is no tape sealing any of the cases. Pretty much every item I picked up to buy had an empty case. I finally gave up and left.
did you happen to ask about it up front with the cashier? the one I was at this weekend had a sign about disc being behind the register

I didn't see a sign about that, also there were some with discs and some without.  Of course they were in the middle of changing the area so it might be up front. 

Doesn't matter though, apparently it was re-released.  I have found multiple copies on fleabay for a few bucks.  Last I saw it was OOP and difficult to find. 

I've been to a few Goodwills that do the same.  Some games/movies will be in their cases, but anything deemed valuable will be put into a binder behind the counter.

I tried going manually through the system browser on my fat PS2, no dice. They both worked in the PSone after digging that out, though. I think I've only had one other PS1 game not work on my PS2 (and it was pretty scratched up, these two were decidedly less so), not sure if this is a sign of my PS2 starting to fade (hopefully not).
Hmm, interesting. Yeah, it could be something with the PS2 laser weakening / not being able to compensate for the scratches; the only other possibility I can think of is scratches to the top of the disc (I picked up a Digimon World from Goodwill once that had a super minor scratch to the top and a Near Mint bottom and the sucker just wouldn't load).

SOMEONE HELP!  

I found a sealed copy of The Flowers of Robert Mapplethorpe for the Phillips CD-i and I have NO idea what it is worth.  I can't find shit about a price online.  This game is notoriously stupid but apparently pretty rare.  Any info?  

Thanks guys :)

SOMEONE HELP!

I found a sealed copy of The Flowers of Robert Mapplethorpe for the Phillips CD-i and I have NO idea what it is worth. I can't find shit about a price online. This game is notoriously stupid but apparently pretty rare. Any info?

Thanks guys :)
Same thing happened to me when I found a complete copy of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties a few years ago. I've regretted selling it ever since because I KNOW I didn't list it for high enough on Amazon because it sold within an hour of listing it.

Found a bunch of computer stuff today:

$7 Asus external dvd burner

$5 Cradlepoint CTR500 mobile broadband router

$2 Dish Network Homeplug adapter

$2 Rocketfish USB hub

went to a goodwill today, killing time between clients.

low and behold- they have an original GI JOE Cobra Terrordrome, open but in the box. I was floored. Walked around to the other side of the book shelf to check the price-$150 AS-IS. They even went so far as to attach a copy of a current ebay listing for one that was $525.00 (as if to say this is such a great deal).

Now, after a little research, I have found a base price of about $200 for it online. So $150 isn't outrageous I suppose. My problem I guess is somebody gave it to them, and they are totally just trying to get a massive profit off of it.

Before anyone goes all "well, that's how capitalism works" and yadayadayada, hey I get it. And I used to work at a goodwill, so I know that people just bring whatever in without regard of value. But this was a little crazy to me.

$50, I would have bought it.

I completely agree with the whole "gave it to them" part. HA I even had a few employees smile and agree with me one day when one of the managers was trying to justify his "we saw it going for this on Ebay" price and I said "but you didnt pay a dime for it and this isnt Ebay, its a thrift store". Surprisingly he didnt ask me to leave (probably because Ive bought so much stuff from there), but just scratched his huge ass beard and walked to the back. Youd think places like Goodwill would just try to get a quick sale and get items out the door, but a lot are turning into the "we checked Ebay" type. 

The whole point of going to thrift stores/flea markets/garage is to find bargains. If I wanted to pay eBay prices, I would just shop on eBay and save gas/time.

Just picked up another electronic Catch Phrase Jr. (which again is more rare than the standard variety) for a buck, and found two official Game Boy Advance AC adapters for $2 each.  I was happy enough to find one adapter that I've been meaning to pick up somewhere down the line, now I'll at least pay for the first one after selling the second.

5g4o.jpg

vi5m.jpg

Looks like a cager from my area donated a butt load of strategy guides (.01 cent) lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a good trip yesterday, picked up the following:

Catan was $5 (higher than normal for their board games, I guess it's popular enough)

The Pillars of the Earth was $2 (happy about this one, both Catan and this were complete and in excellent shape)

Sequence was $3 and sealed, couldn't pass up a decent sealed board game.

And the PS2 slim and hook ups were $20, more than I wanted to spend.  But honestly PS2 units go so fast around here, I had to jump on it if I wanted a back up.  Works well to boot.

11313181906_82df0d39c2_z.jpg

I grabbed a SNES console without cables or controllers for $10 today at a GW. I haven't see any old Nintendo stuff for a while so I grabbed this as a backup for my SNES

I would have been floored to find those guides. The Paper Mario guides go for $50 new! It sounds like you didn't pick them up, so I guess you missed out. I see about 25 guides I would have definitely bought.

Today's Goodwill pickups:

ps2 fat console with network adapter(had a Tony Hawk Underground disc inside)-$10

Assassin's Creed IV(PS3)(brand new, but the shrink wrap is barely holding on)-$30

I find a disc in almost every ps2 fat console that I find.

Today, before work I stopped at a GW that the nanny of one of my clients buys high end purses and flips them on ebay. I bought an Express purse (with tags) for my gf as an xmas gift, and also found

Sonic Advance GBA (cart only) $2

Kingdom of Amalur PS3 (disc only) $3

Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt (cart only) $3

annnnnnndd

Yoshi Cookie NES Minty Fresh in a Minty Box (no manual, but had a sleeve cover)- $3

I think I am taking the Metroid cart back though, I though it was something rare because it is rated RP, but I guess its just a demo? Anyone ever heard of it before? Really happy with the KOA and Yoshi Cookie though. The purse is really nice too ( I guess, the nanny said it was a nice one).

bread's done
Back