2013 Thrift Store Thread

Found some NES stuff at Goodwill today.

A controller and AC Adapter for $1.99 each, 2 plastic game cases  and a Four Score adapter (never even seen this before) for $2.99.

Went to the glass case and seen a power glove with what looked like all the sensors for $29.99. I bought it. May have overpaid a bit but I've always wanted to try this crazy looking thing out. If it doesn't work, I could always take it back for store credit.

I know what you mean. I *tried* to put it on today and I honestly can't tell if it works or not.

I'll probably just keep it for giggles.

$30 for a Power Glove is pretty awesome, if not just for a display piece. You should get one of those mannequin arms they use to display jewelry and put it on there :V

I have a question,   what the hell happened to ps2 as-is prices, i got lucky a few weeks when i found 3 ps2, i was waiting to post them at the beginning of november, but saw the prices have gone down significantly any word why?

anyone else having problems selling 360 guitars lately? 

@kobun thats not good, I have 3 PS2s also sitting in a box ready to be sold. I did pretty good today! Goodwill was fail, that $30 N64 was still sitting there and there wasnt really anything else today. I went to a little thrift store that donates I think all of its sales to animal shelters  :) so I happily paid the $65 they were asking for when I seen the "Nintendo Set" box on a table. 

I went to my local Goodwill today and picked up some very good deals:

Hey You Pikachu! (for the N64)-$2

120gb xbox 360(fat model) with component cable-$10

The xbox 360 was in a 250gb xbox 360 slim kinect bundle box, so I was very unhappy that it turned out to be a regular xbox 360. After testing it, there were 18 full games downloaded to the hard drive(such as MW2, GTA 4, ballad of gay tony, madden nfl 13).

Man, I haven't had a good Thrift find in months, the amount of local competition now is just insane, and prices have skyrocketed. Local Craigslist and Facebook Buy / Sell / Trade pages now are just full of people posting "I WANT YOUR OLD VIDEO GAMES" type ads. People are willing to pay absurd prices even for commons. Stuff that used to end up in Savers or Goodwill just ends up getting sold on Craigslist or Facebook now, or on eBay. There's nothing left out there anymore.

I got this at a goodwill the other day, it wasn't the best deal but it's new and unopened and I wanted it
$14.99

542B4397-8D24-4B48-B962-A96C84E603EA-7413-0000074AA223FA09_zps00beaf70.jpg

Stopped by a GW over the weekend that I haven't been to in awhile.  First I got semi excited when I saw a bunch of white Wii cases on the shelf from a distance.  Then I became disappointed when they were all shovelware bargain bin titles.  Then disappointment turned to bewilderment when I saw the price tags of $12.99 displayed on each case.

I know others have seen worse, but that's pretty bad for me personally in terms of price gouging (especially on unwanted titles).

Are Gamecubes becoming desirable again? Lots of people posting about picking them up, when during the Wii's reign of terror (lol) most people seemed pretty much indifferent to them. Although at $4 I'd have grabbed it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are Gamecubes becoming desirable again? Lots of people posting about picking them up, when during the Wii's reign of terror (lol) most people seemed pretty much indifferent to them. Although at $4 I'd have grabbed it too.

I think during any launch for a new generation system, the predecessor console will fall out of fashion for a bit. GameCube still has a lot of highly collectible titles. I think PS3 and Xbox 360 games will drop for a while after the release of the next generation consoles, but will regain some of their value once the hype wears down.

I'd agree to say that the consoles themselves aren't really worth much (maybe fetching about $20-$30 if complete with the hookups), but there are a few things to look for on the consoles that may be worth it:

- Component Cable (goes without saying really)

- Official Controllers (if in good shape, these alone can go for $12-15 easy enough)

- A game in the console itself (usually they are swiped pretty quickly, but once or twice I've still seen a title inside the disc tray)

- Network Adapter (Both Broadband and Modem types, not really common, but they are worth a good amount)

- Gameboy Player (not worth much without the disc, but if you find a console with the player attached, it may be worth it to peruse the CD / DVD section carefully...)

I wish it had component cables or even a disc in the tray! For $4 I could easily quintuple my money. Someone would buy it for $20 on CL after I clean it up. 

I have 2 gamecube consoles I got for 12, was gonna put it on eBay but maybe I'll try Craigslist first. I don't remember if I have all the hookups first though

I could be wrong, but you can only play GC games on the original wiis, right? The ones that come out now are not BC if I understand correctly. I woudn't go as far to say that they are ps1 prices though. I can pick up ps1s complete for under $10 any day of the week. GCs usually run $15-$20 complete.

I wish it had component cables or even a disc in the tray! For $4 I could easily quintuple my money. Someone would buy it for $20 on CL after I clean it up.
I think for $4, I would buy just about any console, even if it was just for parts / modding experimentation.

I could be wrong, but you can only play GC games on the original wiis, right? The ones that come out now are not BC if I understand correctly. I woudn't go as far to say that they are ps1 prices though. I can pick up ps1s complete for under $10 any day of the week. GCs usually run $15-$20 complete.
Yeah, only the original White Wii, Red Wii Bundle, and certain Black Wiis (I think only those that were bundled with Mario Kart, not sure on that), basically if the cover art on the box had it standing vertical.

I think for $4, I would buy just about any console, even if it was just for parts / modding experimentation.

Yeah, only the original White Wii, Red Wii Bundle, and certain Black Wiis (I think only those that were bundled with Mario Kart, not sure on that), basically if the cover art on the box had it standing vertical.
The "Wii" name on front of is also oriented so it's readable when it's standing vertical. The new ones don't even come with the base and are designed to sit flat. But the tell-tale sign is the Gamecube ports on the top/side. If the top/side doesn't even open, it's clearly not GC-BC.

Non-BC

BC (Don't mind the dirtiness of it. Kids are evil, evil beings with this kind of stuff :lol:):

Picked up some good stuff at goodwill today.

Thrustmast GT Ferrari racing wheel with pedals(PC, PS3, PS2) -$10 (never seen anything thrustmaster at goodwill before)

xbox 360 wireless rockband guitar(missing red button) -$4

xbox 360 wired rockband guitar -$5

PSP Me and My Katamari (complete with map, manual, case, and game) -$5

PC Fallout Collection(white label) -$2

I think it would be pointless to make a Library finds thread but I'm gonna post what I found today.

Guardian Heroes (Saturn, complete)

Popful Mail (Sega CD, complete)

Dark Savior (Saturn, no manual) 

50 cents each, $1.50 total. Not bad at all for my very first Sega CD/Saturn game finds. I knew Guardian Heroes was kinda rare, so I was stoked to even find this out in the wild, but I saw the value for Popful Mail and my jaw dropped. Only thing bad about Popful Mail is the disc is kinda scuffy and I don't have a Sega CD to test if it works. 

I think it would be pointless to make a Library finds thread but I'm gonna post what I found today.

50 cents each, $1.50 total. Not bad at all for my very first Sega CD/Saturn game finds. I knew Guardian Heroes was kinda rare, so I was stoked to even find this out in the wild, but I saw the value for Popful Mail and my jaw dropped. Only thing bad about Popful Mail is the disc is kinda scuffy and I don't have a Sega CD to test if it works.
Wait - I might be reading this wrong. Your library has video games?

My college's library just started getting video games (they didn't have them when I attended), but I've never seen them in any other library. You must have the coolest library in the world (especially if they had Saturn and Sega CD stuff!).

Not really, just found them at my local library down the street in the for sale pile. I even bought a couple CIB Genesis games there once. Not the greatest stuff (College Slam, Tengen Ms Pac Man) but anything CIB like that is usually worth 50 cents in my book. 

Not really, just found them at my local library down the street in the for sale pile. I even bought a couple CIB Genesis games there once. Not the greatest stuff (College Slam, Tengen Ms Pac Man) but anything CIB like that is usually worth 50 cents in my book.
That's pretty cool. My local library has DVDs. Never tried looking for video games. I wouldn't mind if it was only PS2 / original Xbox / GCN generation type games since I have yet to see Blu-ray disc movies available to rent yet.

fuck in right, that shit is a find of auhsum pile.

i have a sega cd if ya want to send it to me i can test it! ;)

A wireless Wavebird controller with dongle goes for at least twice as much, I believe.
Yeah, even the dongles by themselves are worth as much as a wired controller, which are harder to find than just the Wavebirds solo (which I've seen plenty).

Last weekend had a fun find, picked up a sealed, excellent shape copy of this Uno Wild Tiles board game for $2. It looks interesting enough to give it a go (never heard of it before), and although I don't expect to get that much from it, still tempted to sell it sealed instead (for those who collect sealed board games? Are there people out there that do that?).

Last weekend had a fun find, picked up a sealed, excellent shape copy of this Uno Wild Tiles board game for $2. It looks interesting enough to give it a go (never heard of it before), and although I don't expect to get that much from it, still tempted to sell it sealed instead (for those who collect sealed board games? Are there people out there that do that?).
People collect anything. I collect certain genres of board games (mostly risk and more advanced strategy games). I don't collect sealed games but it's understandable there's a premium for new since buyer knows all components are there. Can't tell you how many people list games with descriptions such as "appears complete." Frustrating.

Today's Goodwill Pickups

purple gameboy advance(missing battery cover)-$3

DS Yoshi Touch & Go-$3

DS Super Princess Peach-$3

Sega Genesis Mystic Defender(was in a Phantasy Star III Generations of Doom case)-$2

DVD Mythbusters(first 3 pilot episodes)-$2

Hulk(2-disc special edition)-$2

PC Gameshark(disc, manual, jewel case, and the big box that it came in)-$4

Yeah, even the dongles by themselves are worth as much as a wired controller, which are harder to find than just the Wavebirds solo (which I've seen plenty).

I collect board games, but I personally wouldn't pay a premium for a sealed one because I would just open it anyway. I imagine there are plenty of people who collect games and keep them sealed, though. Board Game Geek would be a good place to look for more info.

I collect board games, but I personally wouldn't pay a premium for a sealed one because I would just open it anyway. I imagine there are plenty of people who collect games and keep them sealed, though. Board Game Geek would be a good place to look for more info.
Yeah I visit BGG occasionally (Uno Wild Tiles isn't reviewed very well), but just out of curiosity if anyone on here preferred to keep their BG sealed. I can understand (to some degree) collecting sealed video games (especially when there are digital alternatives available), but other than the "you know its complete" reason posted earlier, I don't know of any other purpose than just personal taste.

Wait - I might be reading this wrong. Your library has video games?

My college's library just started getting video games (they didn't have them when I attended), but I've never seen them in any other library. You must have the coolest library in the world (especially if they had Saturn and Sega CD stuff!).
My city library gets new release titles like The Last Of Us and Beyond Two Souls etc..

But it's also won the nation's best library system multiple times.

I think during any launch for a new generation system, the predecessor console will fall out of fashion for a bit. GameCube still has a lot of highly collectible titles. I think PS3 and Xbox 360 games will drop for a while after the release of the next generation consoles, but will regain some of their value once the hype wears down.
GameCube collecting is picking up steam now among Nintendo fans. The Wii's video output is shitty, and games look best on a real GameCube, plus there's the game boy player. Also theres more nostalgia having that unique original console.

Gamecube games are going to get real pricey if they aren't all ported to wiiu in HD. That system sold very poorly but is revered more than the n64 for nostalgia.

Today's Goodwill Pickups

purple gameboy advance(missing battery cover)-$3

DS Yoshi Touch & Go-$3

DS Super Princess Peach-$3

Sega Genesis Mystic Defender(was in a Phantasy Star III Generations of Doom case)-$2

DVD Mythbusters(first 3 pilot episodes)-$2

Hulk(2-disc special edition)-$2

PC Gameshark(disc, manual, jewel case, and the big box that it came in)-$4
its stuff like this that makes me go to goodwills all over town. sure it doesn't match the case, but a good game in a good case looks great on my shelf.

and all this talk of board games makes me kick myself in the ass (for the 20th time since) for not buying a complete copy of the Dune boardgame at a flea market over the summer :dunce:

My city library gets new release titles like The Last Of Us and Beyond Two Souls etc..

But it's also won the nation's best library system multiple times.
That's incredible. Are they pretty much constantly checked out, or do you actually have a fair shot at getting them? My local libraries only recently started getting audiobooks, so I don't think I'll see video games any time soon.

That's incredible. Are they pretty much constantly checked out, or do you actually have a fair shot at getting them? My local libraries only recently started getting audiobooks, so I don't think I'll see video games any time soon.
On brand new releases you usually gotta wait a little bit, but they put up pre-orders for titles and if you reserve them fast enough, I imagine you would get them right away. For games a little older like Max Payne 3, or Dead Space 3, they seem to be in stock pretty regularly.

GameCube collecting is picking up steam now among Nintendo fans. The Wii's video output is shitty, and games look best on a real GameCube, plus there's the game boy player. Also theres more nostalgia having that unique original console.

Gamecube games are going to get real pricey if they aren't all ported to wiiu in HD. That system sold very poorly but is revered more than the n64 for nostalgia.
What do you mean "games look best on a real Gamecube"??? A Wii with component cables looks the exact same as a Gamecube with component cables....

Picked up a Game Boy Color (Atomic Purple) and a Game Boy Advance (Clear Glacier) for $8 each yesterday.  It was more than I would normally spend, but my recent lack of finding deals pushed me towards buying both of them anyways.

Walked into the local Salvation Army and for $2 each walked out with:

-Parasite Eve

-Metal Gear Solid

-Final Fantasy VII

(All Black label)

-Soul Blade

-Syphon Filter

-Tenchu Stealth Assassins

FFVII has a couple of cracks in the case but all are CIB with perfect discs and manuals.

Nothing noteworthy. Some Dude got to the DVD aisle before me in Salvation Army's Monthly 50% Off Sale. 

Picked up an Eragon Motion Picture Soundtrack for $1. A Rei Ayanami Figure CIB (Not really) for $4.25 and Star Wars IV A New Hope on Dvd for $1.50. 

Didn't think about looking at the Games since they're red tagged at a high price. And Red Tags are excluded. 

Finally found some stuff,not inphoto, a game gear with 15-20 games for14.99, a teddy ruxpin in good condition.

and this.

bread's done
Back