2013 Thrift Store Thread

If you think that is bad we have a local gaming chain called Oogie games here who sets themselves up in plazas that are conveniently located right next to good wills or other thrift stores or in the general vicinity of where the thrifts are located here. Basically makes it impossible to even finds game here, you literately have to plan to go to an area where Oogie hasn't set up their scam yet.

Also I am pretty sure that rule about goodwill applies, employees are only allowed to shop on their days off but who knows how well that is enforced.
While you are correct (shopping on the day off thing), it doesn't really matter. I used to work in the donation department, which consisted of sorting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too many pairs of womens shoes. But I used to just sit shit in the back in a shopping cart off to the side, and the day I was working would have someone set it out for the next day. Also used to keep small stuff in a desk that we used to fill out tax deduction papers. There is probably a CIB copy of Shining in the Darkness for Genesis sitting inside of a desk in a donation center in New Castle PA. Never had a chance to put it in the cart before I quit.

While you are correct (shopping on the day off thing), it doesn't really matter. I used to work in the donation department, which consisted of sorting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too many pairs of womens shoes. But I used to just sit shit in the back in a shopping cart off to the side, and the day I was working would have someone set it out for the next day. Also used to keep small stuff in a desk that we used to fill out tax deduction papers. There is probably a CIB copy of Shining in the Darkness for Genesis sitting inside of a desk in a donation center in New Castle PA. Never had a chance to put it in the cart before I quit.
That's how I always felt about it, even if there were rules against it, I'm sure there are plenty of ways around it, and I'm sure stuff goes out the back door all the time. The worst I ever saw was an employee from Savers who flat out came out from the back with a basket full of games that never made it to the shelf, which were all priced at ridiculously low prices by Savers standards, and paid next to nothing for them after the employee discount. I wrote a nasty e-mail to their corporate after witnessing that, but I doubt it had any effect.

Latest pick up from my goodwill became kinda aquinted with one of the employees there who recognizes me when I come in. He knows about the random pricing but when he checked me out he just charged me $1.99 for each of these! He told me to check in twice a week on the days hes working. Pretty cool guy, he's told me about another guy who collects as well but he says hes rude and thinks hes big because he uses his phone when looking at stuff, great another rival haha

Mario Kart Wii $1.99

Nintendo Gamecube Controller $1.99

Escape Or Die Trying $1.99
gallery_195532_8008_166677.jpg

Finally had a few decent finds today.

• Ramna 1/2 Digital Dojo (Season 1) - $8.  More than I would have liked to pay, bu going rate is $33+ on Amazon, so I grabbed it.
  • Test Drive: Eve of Destruction :xbox: - $3.  Once again, going for a little bit.  But I actually loved this game way back when it first came out, so I may keep this one since it's 360 compatible.
  • Zelda Twilight Princess :wii: - $3. Picked this one up to keep.  Too bad it's not the Gamecube version.
  • Fifa 11 :ds: - $3.  Was surprised that this is worth something.
I passed up on a ton of other :xbox: and a few :wii: games, but nothing noteworthy.

I had a couple of finds the past few days. 

3 PS2 wireless guitar hero dongle and 1 guitar for $7 total

PS2 fat console only $10

Silver GBA Sp in ok condition, screen is mint but case is scratched up $11

Legend of Zelda Four swords/Link to the past for GBA CIB in great condition for $9.50

360 Lego Indiana Jones/Kung Fu panda $4

The store I got the Zelda and sp from has recently gone the route of charging near ebay prices, i was stoked to see a pile of about 20 N64 games there in the case then bummed when I saw the prices they had on them Zelda OOT $15, Mario $15. I once got a stack of good NES/SNES games there for $2 a piece, those days seem to be going away. 

I found a couple of PS2/Gamecube games yesterday and 4 Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D water bottles. Neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a small store near me that rarely gets stuff in but when they do it tends to be good. Today I got:

Conker Live and Reloaded (xbox)

Spy vs Spy (xbox)

Playboy the Mansion (xbox)

All complete 5.00 each. Then

Future Cop LAPD (Ps1)

Test Drive Eve of Destruction (xbox)

Both disc only 5.00 each.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy (xbox)

Hunter the Reckoning (xbox)

Rampage World Tour (ps1)

All disc only 1.00 each.

Pokemon Ruby (gba)

Pokemon Leaf Green (gba)

Pokemon Sapphire (gba)

Pokemon Emerald (gba)

Megaman Battle Network 4 Blue Moon (gba)

Megaman Battle Network 5 Team Protoman (gba)

Megaman Battle Network 5 Team Colonel (gba)

3.00 each

Pretty great set up.

I went to 3 Goodwills today and picked up:

xbox 360 wired white guitar hero guitar-$5

PS2 fat console only(after turning it on, I found NBA 2K10 in the disc tray(this is the second time that I've found something in a ps2 fat)-$15

Aliens Quadrilogy (complete 9 disc set)-$10

PS2 Naruto Uzumachi Chronicles-$2

2- Brand New Halo Mega Bloks Versus: Snowbound High base-$5 each

Very little luck involved. Some, but a consistent strategy tailored to your area can work wonders. Actually workung on a guide, will link when its done.

Very little luck involved. Some, but a consistent strategy tailored to your area can work wonders. Actually workung on a guide, will link when its done.
wow that's reaaaallly nice of you, but it only takes one or two to read your hints and live where you do, to make the info backfire on your own opportunities....

True, but I think there is generally enough to go around. I live like 15 minutes from Slowdive yet we both still find plenty of cool stuff.

I have only really found two really good finds from Goodwill: A $30 Wii with two nunchucks and no cables and a DS Lite in perfect condition with  SWTFU2 for $8. The only other things I have gotten are a Gamecube Controller for $2 and a PS1 for $8 with a power cable.

My other local thrift shops are also really shitty with really high prices or nothing with a pungent smell. Grah.

Hit goodwill earlier this week and found something I'd been looking for finally. Got a guncon 3 for $4 and a plush of the principal from Shin Chan for $1. Time for Time Crisis!

Hit goodwill earlier this week and found something I'd been looking for finally. Got a guncon 3 for $4 and a plush of the principal from Shin Chan for $1. Time for Time Crisis!
Would be nice if those old Guncon games worked with an LCD. Would give me a reason to dig out my PS1 and Point Blank 1-3.

True, but I think there is generally enough to go around. I live like 15 minutes from Slowdive yet we both still find plenty of cool stuff.
Not true around here. Last year I pretty much owned the local thrift finds, and now this year I have so much fucking competition it isn't funny. It seems every month, there are more and more "regulars" looking for the same things I do, and it's really hurting my Amazon business.

It's getting so bad, I'm considering hanging it up and going back to working a regular job.

I definitely couldn't make a living on this, wouldn't even try, but I can fund my hobby on it (mostly) and that's enough for me.

I definitely couldn't make a living on this, wouldn't even try, but I can fund my hobby on it (mostly) and that's enough for me.

At this point last year, I was at over $43k in sales. This year, I'm at about a third of that. Luckily, the end of this month/beginning of October is the start of the holiday season, so we will see how that goes. If sales don't turn around then, I'm done.

Maybe the point spooge and I are hinting at, is if you post a guide for the lazy... it might hurt both the gamer and the gamer/entrepreneur.

Reconsider making it easy for the lazy and just pm members your guidance...

that's what I've done with a few members seeking garage sale/craigslist buying advice.

I think it's great you have (AT PRESENT) enough to go around, but I'm in the same boat (kinda) as spooge...I'm more of the garage saler for many years and this year was the worst I've ever had, second to last year...

Rude, aggressive nongamers have just come out of nowhere...

So consider just enjoying your good fortune while you still have it...

all the best...

At this point last year, I was at over $43k in sales. This year, I'm at about a third of that. Luckily, the end of this month/beginning of October is the start of the holiday season, so we will see how that goes. If sales don't turn around then, I'm done.
I'm having the same issue - I'm seeing more and more people doing the same thing I do. My sales are down to a really sad point. Thankfully, my other company is starting to generate enough money where I can focus on that first and foremost. If I was relying on eBay right now, I'd be dead in the water.

The one thing I'd suggest, if you don't already do it, is to start selling at conventions. I make $4,000 - $5,000 per convention that I sell at. The great thing about cons is you can sell games that would never sell online, for $5 - $10. It's the only way I've been able to get a leg up on my competition. I end up buying the scraps they leave, but still profit on them. Another awesome thing about cons is the lack of fees. I pay ~$400 for a booth at each convention I attend, so after sales that's about 10% of my profits (which is way lower than eBay or Amazon fees).

So that $75 Waynes World and $15 Legend Of Zelda were gone today. As were 3 NES controllers from my other GW. I guess someone wanted them bad enough.

damn spooge, thats rough man. if you stil l have that diaster report for PS2, I can buy it if my school gets my refund check out this week.

you still hit up the gw in mo'ville and north versailes outlet? i bet that, based on a conversation with the owner, some of you competition is warp zone in greensburg...

damn spooge, thats rough man. if you stil l have that diaster report for PS2, I can buy it if my school gets my refund check out this week.

you still hit up the gw in mo'ville and north versailes outlet? i bet that, based on a conversation with the owner, some of you competition is warp zone in greensburg...
Holy shit, man. With everything going on, I totally forgot about Disaster Report. It's been sitting here on the shelf since we started working out a trade.

I pretty much gave up on the N Versailles outlet. They cherry pick the good stuff and throw it up on shopgoodwill now. I'll stop in M'ville when I'm out that way, though.

I've never bothered stopping in Warp Zone, but after looking at the pics on the website, I can say I've seen that guy a few times. But he's not a regular at the N Huntingdon GW.

lol, no biggie about the trade (know you had some family stuff going on). we can still work something out, although i can possibly do cash if that is better.

i have been in warp zone a few times with my friend wwho lives down there, and he said that a few of his buddies go around to all local gws everyday. even said that he has two guys go to the NV store and stay all day saturday lol. thats excessive. he is a nice guy though, worked out a few deals with me in the past.

I did find some good stuff at mo'ville the last few weeks. sonic adventure 2 battle for GC was a highlight, as well as a couple nice golf clubs. iff you are ever in the area and looking for games, the RWB on 51 has been stacked with games the last few months.

regardless, i just hope things start turning around for ya! i will send ya a pm about the game sometime this week after i call my school.

That's exactly why I do it, justifies picking up titles here and there when essentially they are free to me (not counting, you know, the work side of selling them). Kudos to sp00ge and Doomstink though actually making a decent profit off of it, melds business and pleasure into one.

And about the guide posting, you should have no qualms about posting it if you want to. The biggest most successful tip for thrift shopping is to go every single day (and preferably in the afternoon, or whenever your local does the restocks). It's not a big secret, and the lazy are not into going everyday anyways (by definition). In my opinion the best deals come from garage sales, and that avenue has always had stiff competition (though maybe more now than it used to).

I used to have a great time shopping at my last GW going most days of the week, but now the new one I frequent has too many teenaged kids donning smart phones with VGPC.com or eBay at the ready...

And about the guide posting, you should have no qualms about posting it if you want to. The biggest most successful tip for thrift shopping is to go every single day (and preferably in the afternoon, or whenever your local does the restocks). It's not a big secret, and the lazy are not into going everyday anyways (by definition). In my opinion the best deals come from garage sales, and that avenue has always had stiff competition (though maybe more now than it used to).
This is complete and total YMMV. The Goodwill's here have the handicapped guys put stuff on the shelf, and they only work two or three days a week. Typically, the items get sorted in the back, into those gray and blue crates they use, and sit in the back room until the handicapped guys come in to work, and put stuff on the shelves. If you go to Goodwill here every single day, you'd be wasting your time and gas.

This is complete and total YMMV. The Goodwill's here have the handicapped guys put stuff on the shelf, and they only work two or three days a week. Typically, the items get sorted in the back, into those gray and blue crates they use, and sit in the back room until the handicapped guys come in to work, and put stuff on the shelves. If you go to Goodwill here every single day, you'd be wasting your time and gas.
Yes, it is YMMV on when each GW does their restock, but the truth remains that the really good finds are most always picked up on the same day they are put out, thus the need to come everyday if you want the best finds (unless you know exactly when they do the restocks on a weekly basis).

I'm not condoning driving every which way to hit up all the GWs in your area on a daily basis, but if you happen to have one close by (and the gas spent is minimal) it doesn't hurt to swing by. If your GW does the color coding per week on new items, it's easy to just scan for that color tag and see if anything new was put out on the shelves.

Does anybody know how the pricing at Goodwill works? I've been going to various Goodwills in the Hampton Roads Metro Area recently and noticed that the pricing on the games have gone up. What started with 1 or 2 stores pricing an individual game at $5.25 a piece instead of 2 for $5 has grown exponentially to where there are very few stores left who still honor the 2 for $5 deal. Anybody know if Goodwill changed their minimum prices or is just up to the person in charge of pricing things? 

Does anybody know how the pricing at Goodwill works? I've been going to various Goodwills in the Hampton Roads Metro Area recently and noticed that the pricing on the games have gone up. What started with 1 or 2 stores pricing an individual game at $5.25 a piece instead of 2 for $5 has grown exponentially to where there are very few stores left who still honor the 2 for $5 deal. Anybody know if Goodwill changed their minimum prices or is just up to the person in charge of pricing things?
The pricing varies by store. There are four stores I frequent within a 20 mile radius and two of the four stores price their games ridiculously high. When I inquired I was told the prices came directly from the store manager.

Earthbound strategy guide (missing stickers) and water damaged for $1.50.

Anybody know how I could flip this?

Honest description with pics and I'm sure it would be worthwhile for someone who wants the guide but not have to pay premium price. It all depends on how damaged it is. There's a big difference between water damaged wrinkled cover and water damaged pages that stick together and have bleeding ink.

Some collectors want only near mint stuff but there are plenty of people who would pay discounted prices for damaged hard to find stuff.

Yeah, i have the original Final Fantasy 1 Nintendo Power guide that has water damage, but it's mostly pages that are wrinkly.

As said, lots of pictures and description. Might be a little harder of a flip. I'd go with an auction and let it ride. What do you have to lose? If you set a price low at like $20 and it could have auctioned for $40 you'd be kicking yourself.

Went to a goodwill I hadn't been to in months, picked up:

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 no manual Xbox

Test Drive Eve of Destruction complete Xbox

LoTR: Battle for Middle Earth PC

for $3 each. Test Drive & LoTR's stickers were dated over 2 weeks ago.

Honest description with pics and I'm sure it would be worthwhile for someone who wants the guide but not have to pay premium price. It all depends on how damaged it is. There's a big difference between water damaged wrinkled cover and water damaged pages that stick together and have bleeding ink.

Some collectors want only near mint stuff but there are plenty of people who would pay discounted prices for damaged hard to find stuff.

Yeah, i have the original Final Fantasy 1 Nintendo Power guide that has water damage, but it's mostly pages that are wrinkly.

As said, lots of pictures and description. Might be a little harder of a flip. I'd go with an auction and let it ride. What do you have to lose? If you set a price low at like $20 and it could have auctioned for $40 you'd be kicking yourself.
Cool thanks for the advice I will take lots of good pics and describe it best and as honestly as I can then put it up on auction tomorrow night.

Nothing video game related in some time, but this past weekend my wife picked up this MLP Build-a-Bear Plush Pinkie Pie for our daughter for $6, near perfect shape.  The eBayer in me told her to check on the price of it, and sure enough it's the rarer of the MLP Build-a-Bears, with used going for $80 or more.

My daughter already took a peek at it when we brought it home, so it will probably be difficult to flip it now, but probably even harder when I see her play with it recklessly.  Oh well, c'est la vie.

Nice find on the build-a-bear. I know there's a Hello Kitty anniversary build a bear that with the accessories goes for quite a bit of money too.

GW trips have been pretty uneventful for me the past few weeks for video games (though thankfully it is less than a mile from my house), waiting for something significant to come up.  Picked up another electronic Catch Phrase for a buck, and I saw a Wii console bundle listed for $60, which I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone before the 50% Saturday.

I havent found anything in 11 days but it seems like forever! Went to a new little thrift store and asked "you guys ever have any old videogames, like Nintendo". He thinks for a minute and says "yeahhh but it usually just sits there, im not seeing anything today though." "we just get new things donated whenever people stop by." Looks like ill be stopping by every now and then!

Savers today had a bunch of NES games, but nothing of any real note. I picked up Kung Fu and Maniac Mansion for $3.99 each. Also picked up Sex and the City Complete Series DVD Box Set for $30 which I should easily be able to flip on Amazon for $75

So I go to GW on my lunch break and see Blades of Steel for NES on the counter and 2 PS2 controllers and 2 N64 controllers in the electronics. I decide to go back after work to see if any systems show up. Welp the only thing left is 1 of each controllers. 

Girl- "so do you clean this stuff and sell them?"

Other girl- "who you talking to?"

Girl- "this guy, he always buys game stuff"

Me- "I do clean up most of the stuff from here because its so dirty. I keep stuff, trade stuff, and sell some things"

Girl- "yeah theres another guy who comes in and buys stuff, he says he tries to beat ya"

Me- ".......shit"  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

She said it like he knew who I was and what I look for.....shouldve asked what he looks like! And Im in there all the daymn time so he must be getting lucky. 

So I go to GW on my lunch break and see Blades of Steel for NES on the counter and 2 PS2 controllers and 2 N64 controllers in the electronics. I decide to go back after work to see if any systems show up. Welp the only thing left is 1 of each controllers.

Girl- "so do you clean this stuff and sell them?"

Other girl- "who you talking to?"

Girl- "this guy, he always buys game stuff"

Me- "I do clean up most of the stuff from here because its so dirty. I keep stuff, trade stuff, and sell some things"

Girl- "yeah theres another guy who comes in and buys stuff, he says he tries to beat ya"

Me- ".......shit" :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
You can't possibly think you're alone in this anymore. The competition is crazy now, they may recognize one person who buys stuff, but in reality there are probably more like twenty.

Recent finds have bee interesting:

Savers-

Game Boy Light $12  (almost passed it up because I thought it was a Game Boy Pocket)

3 Gamecubes console only (one of each color) $5 each.

Goodwill-

Tekken Hybrid Limited Edition (but with no game) $2.49

Mario Tennis N64 $4

PSX (no controller but cords and Twisted Metal 4 included) $6

GTA San Andreas $3

Wii Console w/ 1 nunchuck, wii sports (and had Donkey Kong Country returns inside) $24

bread's done
Back