2013 Yard Sale Thread

Anyone have input on the motor bike? I don't see any markings on it. I haven't been able to find this one in a google image search either. I mean would it be a mini crotch rocket?

Anyone have input on the motor bike? I don't see any markings on it. I haven't been able to find this one in a google image search either. I mean would it be a mini crotch rocket?
Search for some chinese scooter forums, members there might be able to help.

it's most likely a chinese 49cc scooter (no shifting)

start taking off the plastics as it will be all about identifying the engine to try and start it

sadly as cool as it looks you might have to pay more than it sold for new to get it running again

chinese scoots are notorious for literally running a couple hundred miles and then dying... the "build" is done by unskilled people and parts/fluids subpar ...

as new as this appears, it may be one of many basically new but stopped running due to the above

I own too many 49cc scoots... 4 running and 3 projects ... I know to stick with older Hondas, Yamaha or certain Kymco models to provide a dependable ride, reasonable parts/service and most importantly giddy up! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
decided to randomly check a thrift store today had no money on me because I wasn't expecting to find anything. Got there and found a whole bunch of dvd's for fifty cents each and a nes for $1. So I immediately raced to an atm getting stuck in traffic and made it back 10 minutes before they close. When you least expect a deal is when you usually find one.

hPXnq4M.jpg

KU00Hnt.jpg

Sorry for late post... here's last Saturday's haul.

74r6.jpg

:360: Bulletstorm - $2

:360: Mass Effect 3 - $2

:ps3: Skylander's Starter Pack - $5

:gc: Luigi's Mansion - $2

:gc: Mario Party 4 - $2

:gc: Pikmin - $2

:gc: Super Smash Bros. Melee - $2

:gc: 3 Wavebird Controllers w/ Receivers - $4

Unfortunately, because of my last two stellar weeks... I got careless this week. I didn't check the games before I bought them. Luigi's Mansion had no game inside and Bullet Storm disc had a large crack in it... so that was $4 down the drain :(... still can't complain... was still a good week.

Actually found something at a yard sale for once! N64 with 4 controllers, all have solid sticks, $10, wanted $15. They said they have some games somewhere, and that they'll call if they find them. They mentioned Mario Kart, so while it'd be great if they find them I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry for late post... here's last Saturday's haul.

74r6.jpg

:360: Bulletstorm - $2
:360: Mass Effect 3 - $2
:ps3: Skylander's Starter Pack - $5
:gc: Luigi's Mansion - $2
:gc: Mario Party 4 - $2
:gc: Pikmin - $2
:gc: Super Smash Bros. Melee - $2
:gc: 3 Wavebird Controllers w/ Receivers - $4

Unfortunately, because of my last two stellar weeks... I got careless this week. I didn't check the games before I bought them. Luigi's Mansion had no game inside and Bullet Storm disc had a large crack in it... so that was $4 down the drain :(... still can't complain... was still a good week.
Son of a....what a score! Even with no Luigi's mansion that's a great pickup for that price. Heck, I just bought Mario Party 4 at an FYE for $19.99...it's so rare to see GC games anywhere in New England :(

I haven't gone to any yard sales in almost 2 months (not much in my area and school has started) But for some reason I felt determined to head out to this one that was only 5 minutes away...and did it pay off :bouncy:

I arrived 30 minutes early and as I was walking out I noticed a nice computer monitor for only $20. Bought that, then noticed right above it in a box this Atari set! (been looking for an Atari for a while

That one is worth some cash. I thought it was around $75, but it has been a while since I looked at pricing.
Yea, my general assumption was that most Atari games are worthless so I was pretty shocked to see this. I love to collect but as a college student I'm really tempted to sell it for the easy cash...

Atari prices have plummeted but he'd still have no problem getting 10x his money on that one alone.
She'd*... :lol:

But yea I couldn't be happier. I'll probably hang onto it for a bit but end up selling it eventually. Everything else from the yard sale I'm going to keep though. :)

"I love to collect but as a college student I'm really tempted to sell it for the easy cash..."

I Know exactly how you feel.  ;)

That's why I try to limit myself to a few main systems, so valuable stuff I get for an Atari or Genesis or something, I can sell without too much hesitation.

Still, it's difficult. Great find!

I don't think I've ever seen an atari game out in the wild. Of course I'm odd because I actually would like to own an Intellivision so I can play 4-tris  :rofl:

looks like I've been rained out. What little yard sales that were advertised has been cancelled.  :bomb:

Search for some chinese scooter forums, members there might be able to help.

it's most likely a chinese 49cc scooter (no shifting)

start taking off the plastics as it will be all about identifying the engine to try and start it

sadly as cool as it looks you might have to pay more than it sold for new to get it running again

chinese scoots are notorious for literally running a couple hundred miles and then dying... the "build" is done by unskilled people and parts/fluids subpar ...

as new as this appears, it may be one of many basically new but stopped running due to the above

I own too many 49cc scoots... 4 running and 3 projects ... I know to stick with older Hondas, Yamaha or certain Kymco models to provide a dependable ride, reasonable parts/service and most importantly giddy up! lol
fuck those cheap-ass 49cc Chinese pocket-bikes. Get a real mini crotch-rocket!

Yamaha-YSR50-1988.jpg

I found a cool guy with a couple Gamecube titles in an underpopulated / first-time community sale today. He was asking $35 for a clean Gamecube console, but it was one of those situations where the system was valued more than the two games included. Therefore I was able to pull a $7 breakaway maneuver for these:

- Mario Kart Double Dash

- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Afterwards sales were slow, in a separate community I was befuddled by a lady who would take 50 cents for a single DVD but not $25 for 50-60 of them. It was one of those lots that had sealed romantic comedies and some children's (Disney) DVDs, she even went so far as to offer 15 for $5--though it wasn't the sort of thing that could just be picked without mistakes happening. I think she had an anti-reseller shield on to be honest.

Anyhow, afterwards I was driving around thinking "You know, that guy with the Gamecube games looked like a Zelda guy." So I check back at the same community sale, partly to see if anyone new had gotten out of bed and also to follow this stalkerish instinct of questions unasked. There's was another sale far back in the circle, no luck. Then I walk back to the Gamecube guy.

He remarks something about the foot-traffic being low due to how new the community sale is, and I agree, adding that the weather is chilly and etc. Then I do the unthinkable: I ask about the Zelda, I'd be more interested in the Zelda. And then he's like... "Let me go in and double-check."

ZeldaTelepathy_zps93e83d61.jpg

He brings this game out of his house, under his arm, like he's some kind of genie. I pay $6, which is apparently the discount one gains upon selling their soul in exchange for yard sale conjuration powers such as this.

Last edited:
Quick out today since it is getting cold.

Picked up Elder Scrolls for Xbox for $3

Stack of PS1 games (MGS, bunch of sports, Driver 1 & 2, RE 2 missing disc 1) for $2

12 Workout DVDs for $10

GTA Collection for the xbox for $1

Very quick today. This might be the last time going out. Maybe next week - I don't know. Depends on how the weather holds out. Talking about some frost next week though - so that is never a good sign.

Quick out today since it is getting cold.

Picked up Elder Scrolls for Xbox for $3

Stack of PS1 games (MGS, bunch of sports, Driver 1 & 2, RE 2 missing disc 1) for $2

12 Workout DVDs for $10

GTA Collection for the xbox for $1

Very quick today. This might be the last time going out. Maybe next week - I don't know. Depends on how the weather holds out. Talking about some frost next week though - so that is never a good sign.
You did well on the xbox stuff, it's surprising to see how the values are holding up with the exclusives and even titles that were widely printed on the ps2.

I usually have terrible luck at yard sales, but between this and my CL Saturn haul earlier this week, if there is some sort of Sega god he is both smiling at and taunting me. Almost had to go to work today but I got to skip out and go to yard sales instead. I ask about games at one sale and she mentions a genesis, so I help her dig this bin out of the garage. Paid $10 for everything, unfortunately when I notice the second power adapter and cd games, as well as the piece missing from the side of the genesis she tells me they gave the cd attachment to goodwill before their last move. I swear I'll never find a working Sega cd. Oh well, Raiden Trad!
IMAG0722_zps177ed846.jpg

Nice Genesis haul for $10.

All I find is Genesis stuff, I swear. I told myself when I started collecting that I would limit myself to Nintendo stuff and at the exact moment the Sega gods thought they'd be funny and only allow me to only find Genesis stuff. I'm trying to trade/sell some of it but I can't keep up, I literally have doubles and even triples of some of the games I'm trying to get rid of. It's crazy.

I gotta tell myself to stop collecting for the N64 so I can get some nice hauls of that.

Got a decent amount of stuff today.

For $10 I got: COD3, COD4 Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, and Little Big Planet 2 Special Edition (missing manual) for PS3, plus PoPoloCrois and Metal Gear Acid for PSP and Zelda Ocarina of Time + Master Quest for GC. The Zelda was in with DVDs.  :D

At another sale I got Myst (Mac), Tomb Raider Last Revelation (Dreamcast), and Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) for $1 each and another $2 for a boxed set of seven C.S. Lewis books. I'd say not bad.

I'm home sick, so I have some time to post. Remember when I said I found some quality stuff? Here it is:

9-21-13 ish

I think I mentioned here that I saw people fighting at a sale over some silver and it got ugly. I actually beat both of them to the sale by a minute or two and I grabbed what silver stuff I could carry. I looked around after things calmed down and bought the CDs and graphic novel. I'm pretty excited since this is the first time I've found decent silver at a sale. I paid $11 total including the silver stuff. The sinatra CD set has some value the other stuff is to keep.

Paid 25 cents each. These are Gorham Carving pieces. I wish they were complete, but well worth 75 cents.

Antique 925 Sterling Silver overlays. I paid $2 each for these. Based on weight and sterling prices they are worth about $15 each in scrap (conservatively), but much more because of the age.

---

The next finds come with a story. I saw a CL ad and I saw in the description the letters "DS". I figured they had a nintendo DS, so I went to their sale. Turns out the DS was for some toy and was not a game system. I still looked around, bought a few things, and talked to the people having the sale...

the bobblehead was a giveaway form a bulls game

Then I saw this. It was marked $5, was still sealed, and I had never seen it before. I picked it up on a whim.

Here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/First-Twelve-Little-Golden-Books/dp/B000UJEVOW

How did I do? ;)

Then after I bought this stuff I asked the guy if he was sure he didn't have any other game stuff. He thought for a while and said "You know what? I have an Atari I was going to put out, but I forgot to dig it out. Would you be interested in that?" I said "Yes" and he said "Yeah I didn't use it much. I only played the duck game and Zelda on it." I said "Oh yeah? I'd really like to see it." About 3 minutes later he comes out with this (the games were shoved in the box):

I calmly ask him how much he wants for it and says "I don't know. $10?" I said that sounds good and paid him the $10

:bouncy:

Wow, what an awesome find on that NES!

I went to 8 or 9 sales today. I missed out to on a Lego lot by 20 minutes! I also found a zapper at another sale but the lady said the other video game stuff had sold. She did have a Wii in a GameStop box but didn't know if it worked or not so I didn't buy it.

I did buy these though for my son. I got the geotrax, a bag full of Trackmasters tracks and trains, and a hot wheels track set for $2. I got the other looping train set for $2. We have enough tracks now to build a massive train layout. I also got a duplo alligator that picks up parts for $1. That will come in handy for clean up.

6yraguzy.jpg
ydyhyqat.jpg

Good stuff everyone! Rain out for me today. Had rain outs 2 of the past 3 weeks here. Kinda sucks for the end of the season.
Same here pretty much, it's just getting a little too cold for garage sales where I live. Only seen about five of them today and they were all busts. Went to a couple Goodwills and only found Pokemon Channel for the Gamecube.

Glad some of you found stuff though!

Snagged some good stuff today :)

-Genesis 3 System w/ 2 controllers $5 (Never seen one in the wild before!)

-GBA SP/GBA +handful of common (crappy) games $5

-GameGear w/ Sonic (not sure which one) (missing battery case) $2

-4 N64 Games $10

Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Stadium, Banjo Kazooie, Chameleon Twist 2 

-N64 System w/ 2 controllers and expansion pack +Mario Kart 64 $15

-Boxed Odyssey 2 system (don't know if it works) +15 boxed games......FREE!!!!! The nice lady said she would just give them to me because she didn't know if they would work :)  I thanked her profusely and took it but now I almost feel bad because I know I don't have much interest in the really old stuff like this.  I'm hoping it doesn't work so I can sell the games (worthless to me without the system) and box and buy some NES or SNES games instead :)

At the beginning of the day I almost quit.  I had 2 sales I wanted to hit because games were advertised.  The 9:00 I show up at 8:50 and see a guy getting in his truck and I proceed to check out what seem to be gamecube scraps.  I then head in to the town with the 10:00 I want to hit, drive past it, and see the same guy with a stack of games walking to his truck....It's one thing to be told something sold, but to see the guy walking out with it is another :/  

Only other crappy part was when I had a big stack of 64 and genesis games and offered $20 for the bundle, maybe about 15 games?  They were all in a bag, and the woman goes ahead and calls to tell her son that she's selling his games.  I was expecting him to tell her to bring it all inside but turns out he just wanted $3 a piece for the games.  Which wasn't bad but many of them were sports games which I'd buy for less than a buck, but at $3 a piece some other lucky guy can have them.  Did grab those 4 games listed above for $10 though!!  I had never even heard of chameleon twist before so I was kinda hoping it was something rare.  Oh well XD

Overall the day turned around and I'm super grateful for what I got :)  Really excited about the genesis 3 because the thing looks awesome in my opinion, and I'm kinda excited to test out the odyssey stuff.  

Snagged some good stuff today :)

-Boxed Odyssey 2 system (don't know if it works) +15 boxed games......FREE!!!!! The nice lady said she would just give them to me because she didn't know if they would work :) I thanked her profusely and took it but now I almost feel bad because I know I don't have much interest in the really old stuff like this. I'm hoping it doesn't work so I can sell the games (worthless to me without the system) and box and buy some NES or SNES games instead :)
What games did you get for the Odyssey? I'm about 8 complete games from having the entire system boxed.

Although this wasn't the best of steals, I was quiet happy with the purchase and possible resell value.  According to the receipts that was in the 3DS box everything is 7 days old. Paid $180 for everything

Red Limited Edition 3DS XL

Pokeball 3DS Case

Pokemon Y

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Super Mario 3D Land

Pokemon Black 2 (Cart Only)

25tvt02.jpg

Nothing gaming related this week. 

Bought some vintage Macintosh/Apple stuff though. A couple very old monitors, printer, mouse, and CD drive $20. Most of it seems to be functional. By vintage I mean 80s early 90s stuff. 

Although this wasn't the best of steals, I was quiet happy with the purchase and possible resell value. According to the receipts that was in the 3DS box everything is 7 days old. Paid $180 for everything

Red Limited Edition 3DS XL
Pokeball 3DS Case
Pokemon Y
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Super Mario 3D Land
Pokemon Black 2 (Cart Only)

25tvt02.jpg
Might not have been a steal for you, but it probably literally was for the person you bought it from. There's no other reason those would be sold so cheap. I'm guessing there is a really sad kid out there who this stuff actually belonged to.

Angry Parent probably sold it off because their kid got bad grades and/is a bad student. :lol: One of the times where the threat to sell your things actually happened. 

yea I have no idea why he was selling so cheap.  I figured if i resold all the games, I essentially bought a New LE 3DS Xl for about $90.

I have seen parents doing that once here, but it worked, in my case they made the kids sit and sell their stuff to get the money to cover summer school classes.

n1s1eg.jpg

17 Disk Only Games - 2.50

These games were 6 for a buck. XIII is actually complete, in the top right corner is a pile of 4 games I bought just for the cases.

Non Find BS
Only went to 5 yard sales this weekend. One on Friday I was told about Atari & Nintendo stuff and the lady offered to take my number but since it wasn't far from where I live and this yard sale was busy I offered to stop back the next day since anyone who has given out their phone knows you rarely if ever hear back from sellers. Saturday she tells me that here son came over and took the old video games at some point over the last few months unbeknownst to her after it sat around for many years be this the truth or not.

14lmxhh.jpg

14vi4pe.jpg

2hx29n6.jpg

245cvp0.jpg

dxbiw4.jpg

2c0bw5.jpg

Everything Pictured (And Not Pictured A Black 4 Switch System Only 2600) - 34

All of this stuff was won with 4 different bids at an auction I went to this past Saturday. The Coco 2 stuff was 7, The cassette tape games (and I say that very loosely) are all complete in box. C64 & 5 1/4 floppy drive 3. Atari 600XL which I guessing is complete with hookups & manual 5. And last but certainly not least everything else came up all for one bid (along with the 2600 not pictured) which I ended up with at 19. I'm no expert on imports but I'm guessing the system is a Famiclone and that most or maybe even all of the Famicom games are bootlegs. The boxed Pal games are all complete except for Urban Champion which is missing the manual.

@FOnewearl Another auction hunter ;) . I have a blast going, but don't come across much game stuff unless I'm the one bringing it!

Checking out craigslist for yard-sales this weekend, I think it's safe to say (for me anyway)...

RIP Yard Sale Season 2013... not great for video games, but great for just about everything else.

There is actually one sale advertised locally with games and one in a city 30 minutes away with games and blus also.  I'll definitely hit up the one in town.  The other looks like the sale of a clearance junkie, probably few good deals to be had.  I might hit it up anyway just because the number of sales are dwindling fast. 

Got beat to a couple of sales with games today (sports ones were all that was left). Did snag Half-Life 2, Prey, and Guild Wars GOTY edition for PC for $3 each, but it looks like yard sale season is starting to end here.

Actually found a sale today..... and got 400+ vinyl records for $100. I'm sure I'll sell most of these on eBay but I was looking to start collecting some since I bought a record player not too long ago. Quite a variety of music. I'm mainly interested in classic rock when it comes to records. The guy had about 1000 and wanted $200 but I only had 100. Hopefully my roommate won't mind this sitting here for a bit LOL( I live in a school dorm ). I will probably give some to my mom to take home since she's visiting me tomorrow.

69gHcHu.jpg

Yard sales were a bust today but I actually stepped out of my small city and went out of town. Let's just say it was worth the trip. I'll post later  :bouncy:

Some old fat dude lifted 2 loose Game Boy SPs 10 seconds before I got to them. I was pretty pissed about that. He payed $3 for both of them. I hate people that have no interest in the hobby and just exploit it for cash.

Anyway, I did manage to get a silver DS Lite with some games and some Xbox games I payed $5 and flipped to my local used game store for $27 in credit. Trying to justify buying a PS4 with my Xbox One if I can get it entirely from credit, lol. My store won't have any in stock 'til next year, likely, so I have a few months to build it up.

Alright this is what I got today:

Nes:

Dragon Warrior - $3

Operation Wolf - $2

Gyruss - $0.50

N64:

Rayman 2 - $5

Gameboy:

Kid Icarus

(they had an OG gameboy for $10. Kind of wish I had gotten it)

Sega Genesis:

Streets of Rage 2 - $0.50 (one of my favorite games of all time)

Gamecube:

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - $3

Sonic Riders - $3

PS2:

Gradius 5 - $0.50

La Pucelle Tactics - $1

PS1:

Dino Crisis 2 - $1

Crypt Killer - $1

Nightmare Creatures 2 - $1

There's was more but I got tired. Happy with what I got. I have never seen so many sports games in my life.

fhWLtWo.jpg

odrmjlN.jpg

9jm9yZf.jpg

I think now it will just be if I happen to see a sale stop at it.

Hit up a few yesterday when driving from my apartment to my sister's place. Total of 5 sales.

$20

GTA Liberty City Stories PSP

Tale of Symphonia GC - sadly scratched up - gotta test it out or have it resurfaced

Star Wars 2 Battlefront PS2

SNK / Capcom GC

Branded complete series on DVD

I will Dance on Your Grave: Cannibal Hookers DVD

three other horror DVDs

Dexter Soundtrack new

Did pretty good with this stuff. Sadly nothing I'm probably going to keep for myself - will all probably be traded off. Hopefully ToS works, but even without it working I'll still end up making quite a bit with everything else.

$10

18 brand new Viewmaster sets from the late 80's

- mostly Duck Tales, Fantasia, and some other Disney ones with a random Sesame Street, Bugs Bunny and others

I bought this yesterday. I actually thought it was a snes controller at first but on closer inspection realised it was a genesis controller. Funny because the people selling it had it listed as a snes controller on the back.

LoQv5d6.jpg

bread's done
Back