2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Went around to a few stores after lunch today with some friends and got some good stuff.

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) $3.00 - It has some sharpie on it. Anybody have a good way to get it off?

I would post a picture but I am still unsure how to.
Nice find on Conker, you can try using standard isopropyl alcohol (90%) on it first (assuming it is not on the label) and see how well it comes off. Then I would step up to Goo Gone (again, if it isn't on the label), and then if that doesn't work, try going over the marks with dry-erase marker, pressing firmly, and then again with the IPA or Goo Gone.

Goo Gone can get pretty oily, so try to avoid using this if the mark is near the label. If the mark is on the label itself, just learn to live with it.

Other methods include using a Mr. Clean magic eraser, or just using elbow grease with the IPA and slowly wearing it away over time. I keep forgetting the stuff that Wiggy uses to clean off marks and adhesives...

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesnt that suck? Knowing that they didnt pay a penny for that stuff and they refused a sale? So much for being a "nonprofit" company amirite?!
Yeah but no big deal to me. I might go back and ask them to lower the bundle price to $50; that is if someone hasn't snatch it yet. What pisses me off about GW is that they likes to put their video games in open shelf where it can be easily stolen.

Some examples this past year:

Walk it Out Wii (No Game Disc)

NCAA Basketball 10 PS3 (No Game Disc)

Super Mario 64 N64 (Complete but missing game cartridge)

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis GC (No Game Disc)

Kirby Airride GC (No Game Disc)

Mega Man X Collection GC (No Game Disc)

Nintendo GameCube System with box, bonus controller, and accessories (Everything looks mint but no controllers)

Pokemon Black DS (No Game Cartridge)

Animal Crossing DS (No Game Cartridge)

90% DS Games (No Game Carrtridge)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) $3.00 - It has some sharpie on it. Anybody have a good way to get it off?
Try writing over it with some dry erase marker and wiping it off with a wet paper towel. It sounds weird, but there's a component of the ink that keeps it liquid can be used to rehydrate the dried ink on the cartridge and wipe it off.

[quote name="postaboy" post="12146377" timestamp="1412766036"]Yeah but no big deal to me. I might go back and ask them to lower the bundle price to $50; that is if someone hasn't snatch it yet. What pisses me off about GW is that they likes to put their video games in open shelf where it can be easily stolen.

Some examples this past year:
Walk it Out Wii (No Game Disc)
NCAA Basketball 10 PS3 (No Game Disc)
Super Mario 64 N64 (Complete but missing game cartridge)
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis GC (No Game Disc)
Kirby Airride GC (No Game Disc)
Mega Man X Collection GC (No Game Disc)
Nintendo GameCube System with box, bonus controller, and accessories (Everything looks mint but no controllers)
Pokemon Black DS (No Game Cartridge)
Animal Crossing DS (No Game Cartridge)
90% DS Games (No Game Carrtridge)[/quote]

Some of those things probably got donated that way, tbh

Nothing super amazing today, been a bit dry on video games recently so I did pick these up for $2.99 a piece. I don't normally buy for Playstation but as I said it's been a bit dry recently. Would've been nice if resident evil was complete but I'll take what I can get. Was a bit bummed as I missed out on a vintage pioneer receiver right as I was walking to the electronics of the one savers I go to.

Jii30nj.jpg

Nothing super amazing today, been a bit dry on video games recently so I did pick these up for $2.99 a piece. I don't normally buy for Playstation but as I said it's been a bit dry recently. Would've been nice if resident evil was complete but I'll take what I can get. Was a bit bummed as I missed out on a vintage pioneer receiver right as I was walking to the electronics of the one savers I go to.
I'd call getting Diablo for Playstation at $2.99 pretty good, worth at least 10 times that, nice find! I used to play that version alot with a good friend of mine, back when our PCs and internet connections were pretty bad.

I'd call getting Diablo for Playstation at $2.99 pretty good, worth at least 10 times that, nice find! I used to play that version alot with a good friend of mine, back when our PCs and internet connections were pretty bad.
I actually didn't realize it was worth quite that much recently. Like I said don't usually pay too much attention to PS1 stuff for some reason, even though I probably should.

Grabbed my first thrift store find in a while. Found a neat little pokewalker for $3. Been casually looking for one for about 6 months to go with my games. Going to replace the battery and transfer a pokemon to it for a race I'm running next weekend.

I grabbed a complete Lord of the Rings Monopoly today for $3.99 and also a PS2 copy of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for $2.99.  

So I went back to GW today in order to convince a different employee to lower the N64 bundle to $50. The N64 bundle was still there, but someone (hopefully a CAG) was able to buy Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, and GoldenEye from that bundle.  Man I wanted to buy MarioKart 64 and Super Smash Bros, but they said No to me :( . I wonder how that person was able to let them part those 3 three games out? Oh well. 

So I went back to GW today in order to convince a different employee to lower the N64 bundle to $50. The N64 bundle was still there, but someone (hopefully a CAG) was able to buy Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, and GoldenEye from that bundle. Man I wanted to buy MarioKart 64 and Super Smash Bros, but they said No to me :( . I wonder how that person was able to let them part those 3 three games out? Oh well.
Most likely stolen. I was going to say "They only tape in the games? Why isn't it in a bag?"

^^^ Hey man, don't sleep on Psychonauts, I like that find better than Conker's. : )

So this is my score from today (some of the pictures are blurry, my bad):

So here's a quick rundown:

Nintendo Gamecube (Black) - CIB

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (w/ Bongo's) - CIB

Donkey Konga 2

Sega Genesis (Model 2) - No controller

Nintendo 64 Controller (Black)

PS1 - Pipe Dreams 3D

3 Super Nintendo Controllers

Donkey Kong 64 - Missing Manual

Hybrid Heaven - CIB

Banjo Kazooie - Cart

Swat Kats - Cart

Goemon's Great Adventure - Cart and Manual

Gamecube Memory Card

... what appears to be a light for a GBA.

Playstation 1 - CIB

Nintendo 64 - CIB (w/ the Expansion Pack from the Donkey Kong box)

2x Nintendo 64 Transfer Packs

GBA - Mega Man Battle Network - CIB

GBA - Mega Man Battle Network 2 - CIB

GBA - Fire Emblem - CIB

GBA - Metroid: Fushion - CIB

GBA - Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars - CIB

GBA - Donkey Kong Country - CIB

GBA - Donkey Kong Country 2 - CIB

GBA - Bomberman Tournament - CIB

GBA - Super Mario Advance 2 - CIB

... and GBC - Magi Nation - Missing Cardboard Insert

Then came the coolest thing I've ever got "thrift storing":

SNES - Captain Commando - CIB

(A little rough around the edges, but wow.)

I paid $165 for everything. Which came to about $10 per system and $5 per game.

^^^ Hey man, don't sleep on Psychonauts, I like that find better than Conker's. : )

Donkey Konga 2

PS1 - Pipe Dreams 3D

Hybrid Heaven - CIB

Banjo Kazooie - Cart

Swat Kats - Cart

Gamecube Memory Card

Playstation 1 - CIB

GBA - Fire Emblem - CIB

Damn I wish any of the thrift stores near me had good stuff like that.I'm lucky if I even find a good game.

Not a bad night last night, found a stack of GC & Wii games just sitting on a shelf:

Metroid Prime GC CIB - $3

Metroid Prime 2:Echoes GC CIB - $3

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Wii CIB - $3

Viewtiful Joe GC CIB - $3

Metal Slug Anthology (10th annv) Wii CIB - $3

Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars Wii CIB - $3

Left a bunch of PS2 games (Guitar Hero, sports, etc). Think a lot of these will be flipped since I already have the Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii & another Viewtiful Joe. Will be checking out Mushroom Men since I recall seeing another CAGer talking about picking one up...

Damn I wish any of the thrift stores near me had good stuff like that.I'm lucky if I even find a good game.
You really have to go a lot and expand to other stuff besides games to make it worthwhile. For me I haven't found a ton of games but when I do it's been worth it. A great moneymaker on the side is vintage audio equipment, a lot of it sells for <$20 and you can easily flip a lot of it online for quite a bit, especially old turntables and receivers.

CIMG2191.jpg

Kid Icarus 3ds was a facebook pickup, the rest thrifts. PS1 games 3.99, other games being 7 bucks, with starfox being 10 for whatever reason...

Donkey Konga 2

PS1 - Pipe Dreams 3D

Hybrid Heaven - CIB

Banjo Kazooie - Cart

Swat Kats - Cart

Gamecube Memory Card

Playstation 1 - CIB

GBA - Fire Emblem - CIB

Looks like you hit a jackpot.

pO3fWlM.jpg
The Gamecube, two controllers, GBA, GBA link cable, Gameboy Player, Gameboy Player disc, Animal Crossing with memory card, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Harvest Moon, Pikmin 2, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Monkey Ball all cost me $25 total.

The Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventures were another $10 each.

$45 total.

The Gamecube, two controllers, GBA, GBA link cable, Gameboy Player, Gameboy Player disc, Animal Crossing with memory card, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Harvest Moon, Pikmin 2, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Monkey Ball all cost me $25 total.

$45 total.
Probably one of the best (and complete considering memory card, Gameboy player and GBA set up) GCN lots I've seen on here, very nice.

pO3fWlM.jpg

$45 total.
Awesome score! Kinda jelly over here. ;)

Very dry as far as videogames are concerned over here as of late.  However, I did stop by an out of the way thrift over the weekend and when we were waiting to checkout, someone brought out a whole stack of Johnny Cash CDs.  Sadly, I didn't have enough $$ on me (and this store doesn't take prepaid AMEX :lol:), so I only grabbed two.  

The first one is Cash Unearthed, brand new and sealed for $5.  There's a slice in the shrinkwrap, though.  I debated about keeping it, but the cheapest price is ~$50 used, so I just threw this one up on Amazon.

The other is Johnny Cash Love God Murder for $4.  All discs in pristine and amazing condition overall.  It has a little bit of value, but not enough to warrant reselling.  Into the collection it went.

WOW, all of that Gamecube stuff would have stupid Ebay type prices at any of the local GWs here.....or would go straight to ShopGoodwill 

Found Manhunt 2 (Wii) and Blood Omen 2 (XBox) for $2 each, both complete, at Goodwill. Not amazing or anything, but they're in very good condition.

Almost hate to post this but

4tlCxID.jpg

go to your local thrift stores as often as possible is my only piece of advice
Exactly what I've been advocating, unfortunately I live a bit too far away to go more then once a week but even going once a week helped me come across Megaman X2.

Well I decided to give the thrifts a chance today since Ive barely been going......so much fail! 3 various completeness $20 PS1s.....even though they cant sell them when theyre marked $8, a filthy complete Xbox with broken pieces in the body for $20, a filthy complete Wii for $40, a silver slim PS2 with cables but no controller for $30, and the most shovelware/sports games Ive seen in awhile! There was also a system only pink DS Lite for $20 and a system only black GBASP for $15, bodies werent bad but their batteries werent charged and the screens had scratches.

I ended up getting 3 sealed Yak Baks for $1.50 apiece. All 3 need a new battery but I couldnt pass up that blast from the past. 

Picked up some interesting looking VHS tapes. Rock Band and both I know what you did last summer movies for $3.50 total. 

uGrZqgH.jpg

Also does anyone know what this tape is? I saw it but didn't know if I should get it.

mp4aVBb.jpg

Picked up some interesting looking VHS tapes. Rock Band and both scream movies for $3.50 total.

Also does anyone know what this tape is? I say it but didn't know if I should get it.

mp4aVBb.jpg
Captain fuck ing Power! I had that when I was a kid. Basically you had one of two handheld jets (and a few other vehicles) and you shot at the TV, at specifically color spots during battles. But the TV actually "shot back" at you, and if you got hit so many times, it ejected your pilot and you "lost".

I wonder what ever happened to my Powerjet...?

captain-power-Powerjet-XT-7-Fighter.jpg

I had Captain Power also, think I still have them.  It got boring fast only having one tape.  If I remember correctly you got three hits before you were ejected.

I actually have pretty much all my childhood toys that I didn't destroy including Star Wars, Transformers, Voltron, Mask and Wheeled Warriors.  Those were some good times.

I've had a pretty dry summer. Not much at the garage sales and absolutely nothing at the thrift stores. I've had about 5 weeks straight, going around 3-4 times a week, finding nothing interesting. I wasn't even finding over-priced games in the locked case. Just terrible.

Today I had the day off and decided to try my luck once again, I walked into the Goodwill and immediately seen this in the glass case...

ITXpRPI.jpg

I freaked out! The N64 is my favorite system of all time and the main one I collect for. I've always wanted a CIB system, but I've never even seen one in the wild. Unfortunately I couldn't see the price and expected it to be $99 because this is Goodwill and that's just what they do.

I flagged down an employee and after unlocking the case I was blown away by the price - only $25!! Plus I had a 20% off coupon bringing the price down to $20!

It's in beautiful condition. I can tell it's never been used. Both controllers are perfect. The cords haven't even been untangled.

It also came with three games - A Bugs Life, Goldeneye007 and Nascar 2000 - but who cares really.

So stoked to finally have this.

I know I haven't been posting lately because, well, I haven't found shit but I always check this thread and try to leave Likes when I can. Glad to see some people still finding great stuff!

EDIT: Also the side of the box still had some slight Christmas wrapping paper taped to it. So much nostalgia opening this up, seriously.

Goodwill finds from today.

TOIFo0B.jpg

Atomic Purple N64 Controller with OK stick, 3.99

Emerald PS1 Controller in awesome shape - 4.99

Lost Season 4 Blu-Ray Sealed - 4.99

Gamechips.com Game Enhancer for PS1 (Old School Piracy Device??) - .99 cents

Also 2 Korn CD's for 1.99 each not pictured.

Not huge finds, but at least I'm finding gaming stuff again:

Dazzle DVC100 (old version with S-Video and  Composite) - 3.99.  I'm hoping this will work with twitch, since next Saturday is the marathon and I'd love to do stream some old-school.

New Super Mario Bros Wii, complete - $3

Animal Crossing City Folk, complete with unused CN code - $3

1988 Playmates TMNT Michaelangelo plush in very good condition - $.50

I had two captain power VHS tapes ages ago, but not the stuff to go with it. I might still have the tapes somewhere around here. 

Had the first actual pick up at a Thrift store in probably a year.

$12

V for Vandetta

Watchmen

Bone Volume1

Bone Volume 2

Garfield hardcover book (I needed a fifth book for the buy 4 get one free)

$4

Might & Magic 3

Might & Magic 3 - Armegeddon something or other

both were in very good shape

$8

Peter Rabbit and other tales DVD - seems to be worth a little bit online

Spike & Mike Twisted cartoons sealed DVD

Stopped at the local salvation army today, they just recently completed a renovation and it doesn't look like a total dump anymore. Nevertheless I don't usually find anything there but stopped as I was passing by today and actually found a few games. Got all these for $2.99 a piece and they are pretty much mint. Nothing super valuable and I really don't collect or care for the original Xbox but at $2.99 each its hard for me to say no.

HHCFYen.jpg

Went to a GW and Savers about an hour away.......sports games/$20 PS1. Closest GW was uneventful as usual, which I expected because they have an NES and a stack of games up on ShopGoodwill right now. The second GW I went to was a nice surprise, past on a $35 Xbox, some sports SNES/NES games, and a NES rf adapter. Got the NES games with cases and Zapper for $4 apiece, composite cables for $1 apiece, complete Pokemon Platinum for $20, and sealed Xbox One charge kit for $20. 

I dont have pictures. but this year is a bust unlike last year.

for some reason, iv been killing with 360 gh.  I wonder if the hype has gone down, or people gave up.  their was a time when it took me a month to find one, now  this week i found 10, and all for less then 3 bucks..

found an apple tv 2 :D for 30 bucks, about to jb that sucker and put up for a nice profit

game wise, found rockband 3 for ps3. not much on this front. i think the goodwill is putting most of its good stuff on its ebay store.

I've had a pretty dry summer. Not much at the garage sales and absolutely nothing at the thrift stores. I've had about 5 weeks straight, going around 3-4 times a week, finding nothing interesting. I wasn't even finding over-priced games in the locked case. Just terrible.

Today I had the day off and decided to try my luck once again, I walked into the Goodwill and immediately seen this in the glass case...

ITXpRPI.jpg

I freaked out! The N64 is my favorite system of all time and the main one I collect for. I've always wanted a CIB system, but I've never even seen one in the wild. Unfortunately I couldn't see the price and expected it to be $99 because this is Goodwill and that's just what they do.

I flagged down an employee and after unlocking the case I was blown away by the price - only $25!! Plus I had a 20% off coupon bringing the price down to $20!

It's in beautiful condition. I can tell it's never been used. Both controllers are perfect. The cords haven't even been untangled.

It also came with three games - A Bugs Life, Goldeneye007 and Nascar 2000 - but who cares really.

So stoked to finally have this.

I know I haven't been posting lately because, well, I haven't found shit but I always check this thread and try to leave Likes when I can. Glad to see some people still finding great stuff!

EDIT: Also the side of the box still had some slight Christmas wrapping paper taped to it. So much nostalgia opening this up, seriously.
That's how my NES is. It's the NES Power Pack. Included the Power Pad and the Zapper gun, along with an extra controller. The game (Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/Field and Track Meet) wasn't there, but I snagged one on Amazon for 5 bucks with shipping and completed it. Everything still has the wrapping and still includes the instruction manuals and original posters. Seriously awesome.

Found it in a basement while cleaning it out. The elderly woman who lived there told me I could have it. I almost cried out of excitement. It stays in its box for obvious collector's reasons.

Been finding alot of cheap and complete board / card games recently (may post that separately later), but over the weekend I found :3ds: NSMB 2 for $10, complete with unused CN code.  Not a terribly great price, but the fact I found it stashed away at a kids clothing exchange made it worthwhile for me to mention.  Wife was there for clothes anyways, made the trip more interesting for me.

Well I'll be damned. Nice find man. I have such an itch to go but I've been busy the last few weeks. Should get back out on Sunday.

GJX6Psx.jpg

Just scored these two items last night. Tested and in working condition.

Gameboy Advance System $3
Gameboy Color $4

Some stuffs that I saw but did not buy:

Atari Dig Dug (Brand new/sealed) but box is pretty beat up. $5.99
Bunch of Sega Genesis Games (all complete) $5.99 each
MINT Final Fantasy VIII but missing Disc 1 $5.99
New/Unopened Rovia Game Capture HD Pro $59.99 - I might go back next week and ask if they can knock off $20 off. I have always wanted to upload my PS3/360 game play on youtube.

nn05uuW.jpg

loVsMjJ.jpg

faBXNq1.jpg

yjslMpr.jpg

bread's done
Back