2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Today's GW pick-ups:

White wired GH guitar x360 -$5
3 official n64 controllers(1 black(loose) and 2 grey(both tight))-$3 each
RockBand drumset foot pedal-$4
NES Super Mario Bros 3-$5
a tomagatchi-$3
Sims 3(wii complete)-$2

I also got my 2nd best find ever(after a GC component cable with console for $10), the Black Seas Barracuda Pirate ship (6285) Lego set in box for $35. I got there right after they put it out and I grabbed it and bought it right away. People around me were talking about it and asking if I was buying it. Looks like it goes for $200 on eBay.

Today's GW pick-ups:

a tomagatchi-$3
Sims 3(wii complete)-$2

I also got my 2nd best find ever(after a GC component cable with console for $10), the Black Seas Barracuda Pirate ship (6285) Lego set in box for $35. I got there right after they put it out and I grabbed it and bought it right away. People around me were talking about it and asking if I was buying it. Looks like it goes for $200 on eBay.
wish i could find a component cable for gamecube. I do have one for my backward wii console.

[quote name="strawyleader997" post="12242757" timestamp="1416098254"]Today's GW pick-ups:

a tomagatchi-$3
Sims 3(wii complete)-$2

I also got my 2nd best find ever(after a GC component cable with console for $10), the Black Seas Barracuda Pirate ship (6285) Lego set in box for $35. I got there right after they put it out and I grabbed it and bought it right away. People around me were talking about it and asking if I was buying it. Looks like it goes for $200 on eBay.[/quote]

I recently got a lego rogue shadow at goodwill for $7. The box was open but the bags are all sealed.

weekspickups.jpg

http://youtu.be/FoBefKjkFZM

Garage sales are pretty much done in my area, so mostly thrifts and craigslist/facebook deals this past week. Check out the video

if you guys have a chance, and like, sub, comment and all that. 

I've haven't had much luck at recent GW stops, had a mini victory last weekend with these pick ups.

The original 1984/1986 Star Wars VHS were $0.25 each (don't usually pick up VHS, but they were cheap enough)

Atlanteon board game was $1 (mixed reviews on BGG though)

Monkey Island was $2 (yay for DOSBox)

Rascal Racers was $1.50 (its a relatively rare PS1 game released late in the console lifecycle, but it sucks.)

Disney Universe (sealed) was $2.50

Mario Super Sluggers was $6 (I got this one at Savers, more than I'd like but excellent shape)

and Cookie and Cream was $1.50, always wanted to give this one a try

med_gallery_350075_7875_106156.jpg

m73tib.jpg

Found Animal Crossing, but when I opened it there was a GBA player disc inside :D/ . Which is okay since I needed an Animal Crossing case anyways.

Big box cib Deus Ex. $11

Animal Crossing and Madworld were $4.99 each.

I actually scored some gaming stuff this week.

Original Xbox:

Tony Hawk American Wasteland

Amped

Gamecube

Mario Power Tennis

Mario Super Sluggers

$10 for all of it. My Goodwill recently made official prices for everything: $1 for a CD, $2.50 for a DVD. Haven't seen much else around there though.

[quote name="slowdive21" post="12253392" timestamp="1416440517"]If I have a GBP disc and blank mini discs, could I burn a copy to use to prevent scratching the original?[/quote]

Don't gamecubes spin backwards or something? I thought there was something completely unique about their discs.

Hit up a second hand book store. Saw Creature from the Black Lagoon: Legacy Collection on DVD that has the sequels. It's been on my list of movies to watch so I asked for the price and she said it should be on there but if it wasn't $2. I then noticed penned in a little white by the UPC it said $5, so she went $4.

Got home and checked amazon, it's going for $18 used.

I guess that is a no. I'm worried I'll scratch it up eventually and these things are like gold now.
I remember reading a while back that you could back up your games to those small dvd-r's. I don't think you can get it to work without a mod chip though.

I also wouldn't say they're like gold. It seems complete gameboy players and discs are selling for around $40 or so. Now if you're talking about the Hori GB Player controller, now that's gold, Jerry, GOLD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's pick-ups from my local GW

-PS3 GH les Paul wireless guitar(no dongle)-$5
-PS3 RB Hofner wireless guitar from Beatles set(no dongle)-$7
-Ps2 Star Wars battlefront (complete)-$2
-Pokemon XD gale of darkness(no manual)-$2

The Beatles rb guitar was from the same GW that I got the beatles drums from a couple days ago.

Today's pick-ups from my local GW

-PS3 GH les Paul wireless guitar(no dongle)-$5
-PS3 RB Hofner wireless guitar from Beatles set(no dongle)-$7
-Ps2 Star Wars battlefront (complete)-$2
-Pokemon XD gale of darkness(no manual)-$2

The Beatles rb guitar was from the same GW that I got the beatles drums from a couple days ago.
Good find on the Pokemon XD game, they're worth around $14 or so.

Wish my local Good Wills had more games, they generally only have Playstation games and Xbox ones.

Good find on the Pokemon XD game, they're worth around $14 or so.

Wish my local Good Wills had more games, they generally only have Playstation games and Xbox ones.
I would like to find more PS2 and Original Xbox games.

Mine usually don't have much, when they do, I have been lucky a couple times.

Had some decent finds at goodwill over the last week or so.

Got Halo 3 Essentials and Chronicles of Riddick on OG Xbox for 2.99 a piece.

Also picked up some NOW Cd's for my sister, 11, 13 and a sealed 16 for 1.99 a piece

Got a 1/2" EMT Conduit bender for 15$ (About 80$ new)

and my Dad got a Red Hook Neon Beer Sign for 15$ working.

Small pick up this weekend, I found a complete PSone (the small 'slim' unit) set up for $8, only really wanted it for the official power supply which are not as common, I'll sell the extra console.  I've been using a PS2 slim power adapter for it (which still works), but now it feels more legit.

No gaming stuff, but found these last night for 3.99/ea:

[attachment=10179:20141124_083903.jpg]

The Lego Island one is a few missing pieces, unfortunately, but does have pieces and minifigs from a different set.  I haven't had a chance to check out the Discovery set yet, but it looks like someone tried to put it together and gave up.  All the pieces are in individual ziplock baggies and the decal sheet is still intact, so I'm hopeful that it's all there.  That one is worth quite a bit too, so here's hoping.

Both sets have their instructions, too.

No gaming stuff, but found these last night for 3.99/ea:

attachicon.gif
20141124_083903.jpg

The Lego Island one is a few missing pieces, unfortunately, but does have pieces and minifigs from a different set. I haven't had a chance to check out the Discovery set yet, but it looks like someone tried to put it together and gave up. All the pieces are in individual ziplock baggies and the decal sheet is still intact, so I'm hopeful that it's all there. That one is worth quite a bit too, so here's hoping.

Both sets have their instructions, too.
Nice find! If the shuttle is missing pieces, you can get the missing parts from www.bricklink.com, www,brickowl.com or even Lego themselves.

A couple of years ago, my sister found this AT-TE at a thrift store and gave it to me for Christmas. The weird part was there were almost two complete sets in the box. I don't know how much she paid, but way less than what it was worth I'm sure.

7675_final.jpg

20141123_111457.jpg

Picked this up at a local goodwill. Saw the psp games first, picked up Kingdom Hearts for 4.99, left the rest. Then saw the psp case for 

1.99 so picked that up. Looked around for the psp system, which i never found but saw this red system in the glass case for 19.99

Originally figured it was a ds lite, but shined alittle too much for that, so checked it out, and saw on the back that it was a 3ds. I mean 

it's not a 90 dollar 3ds xl that some people got last week, but 20 bucks for a original 3ds, I thought was pretty cool

20141123_111457.jpg

Picked this up at a local goodwill. Saw the psp games first, picked up Kingdom Hearts for 4.99, left the rest. Then saw the psp case for

1.99 so picked that up. Looked around for the psp system, which i never found but saw this red system in the glass case for 19.99

Originally figured it was a ds lite, but shined alittle too much for that, so checked it out, and saw on the back that it was a 3ds. I mean

it's not a 90 dollar 3ds xl that some people got last week, but 20 bucks for a original 3ds, I thought was pretty cool
$60 3DS XL ;) but still an awesome find!

Lucked out today, found a VHS copy of Aladdin and the King of Thieves for $1 or so. It's in really good shape too.

Got some Trivial Pursuit add on sets for a $1 or so each.

A few more finds this week for me:

Battletoads (Genesis) complete in amazing condition - $3

Resident Evil Director's Cut :ps1: complete in amazing condition - $3

Catbert plush - $.50

And the surprising find of the week is a brand new in blister Olympus J300 microcassette recorder for $3.99. I almost passed over on first glance, but decided to look it up on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-J300-Microcassette-Recorder/dp/B00005LM8G/

I listed it last night and it just went pending a few minutes ago. Fingers crossed the sale goes through, because that will make my week! And it just sold.

wgsiz.gif
wait...what? When did microcasette recorders become so valuable? Don't they sell these in Best Buy for like $20 still?! I still have one from a few years ago when I was in college. What am I missing here?

wait...what? When did microcasette recorders become so valuable? Don't they sell these in Best Buy for like $20 still?! I still have one from a few years ago when I was in college. What am I missing here?
I think these has the automatic voice-activated record senses sound control thing.

I was as shocked as you are when I saw the price.  All of the recorders you're going to find at Best Buy are digital, so I think the allure of these older ones is the convenience that cassettes provide when it comes to sharing whatever you've recorded.  No worry about computer crashes losing your recordings, etc.

20141127_112149.jpg

So went to a thrift that I knew was open today, and that had a 50% off sale on everything in the store for 2 hours. Went to go get a zelda ds lite, but it was pretty beat up, so passed, and then looked at the other ds systems, and saw this under all of them. Has no charger, but for 50 bucks(after the discount), thought that was a pretty good deal :)  Now I need to find the box for it...

I seriously have enjoyed reading everyone's post over the last year. I finally got a account. It is nice to know there are more people like me and I'm not alone knowing the value of games. It is fun to know what everyone gets I will try and post my finds.

I feel like Im getting to that point where Im slowly losing interest in thrifts / goodwill / etc. 

The competition has really, really ramped up in the last couple of years, and despite going every day to the stores next to my work, I dont really find too many rarities anymore. Plus Ive bought almost all of the easier-to-find games so the only things im mostly interested in are the more sought after titles. (meaning more often than not my trips yield nothing)

...sigh...I say that but Im probably going to go today too lol...

Its rare to find truly "rare" games for everyone. What makes my trips worth it are the common expensive titles. Something like Smash Bros Melee I find a few times a year between thrifts/pawns/garage sales. Stupid common game but goes for like 50 online so finding a couple of those can easily net me a rare game for a very small amount out of pocket.

Before I moved, I used to have a semi-lucrative GW that I could stop by on my way home from work, so I went pretty much 4-5 times a week, found some good titles, and since I went often enough the trips were quick (just looked for the colored tags that were new for the week).

Now I'm lucky if I stop by once or twice a week, but I still find things at least every other trip.  I've rarely found anything jackpot worthy in all my years of thrifting, but it's the common valued items like Bing said that keep me coming back.

I've hit a long dry spell. I honestly think it's just me cleaning out my local haunts. there was a good 2-3 month period where my savers had loads of rare PS1 RPGs then it all just dried up. My guess is they were sitting in storage until I actually moved them and they just restocked. 

I almost wish I was back to the competitor stage! 2 GWs around here put the good stuff on ShopGoodwill and the other ones throw some crazy high Ebay number on anything that isnt sports/shovelware. Went to a couple today, saw a $20 system only PS1 yet again and some sport Xbox games. I was looking at some little beginners guitar amp and put it down, old lady comes outta nowhere and swipes it up. I just gave her one of those *you have no fn clue what that is and you only picked it up cus I was looking at it* looks. 

Miss me them days when I could go 5 times a week and walk out with something good each time! Still kills me that they started doing ShopGoodwill a few months before a copy of Panic Restaurant came in!!!

I hope I find good deals next year when parents clean out their kids old systems because they got next gen or too much other stuff for Christmas. January and February are blah months.  

bread's done
Back