24 TV Series/Movie Discussion: Season 8 DVD/BluRay out 12/7/10 | 24 Movie COMING SOON

2 more days left! Remember it starts a 9pm instead of the normal 8pm this Sunday. The new FOX show Human Target will air at 8pm followed by 2 hours of 24 on Sunday. If you are on the West Coast they are going to replay the Season 7 finale at 7pm prior to the Human Target premiere.

[quote name='Dawgs00']Did no one else feel that Season 7 could have been ended better with Jack's death. I know he's under contract through 8, but perhaps they could've done a prequel season. The thing I liked most about the orginal 24 seasons was that nobody was safe. Any character could be killed. Jack was always safe, but in earlier seasons, I never really got the feeling that his life was in the balance and he might die. Until season 7 that is. How cool would it have been to surprise everyone with his death? Then they could have gone the nostalgia route in season 8 by doing a prequel or something with a lot of flashbacks. Perhaps my idea is shit, but I certainly didn't like they way they ended 7.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's not too bad an idea.

In season 1 we heard so much about the attack on Victor Drazen's compound as being what started everything off. They never gave much of a timetable as for how long that took, maybe it was exactly 24 hours...

[quote name='Poor2More']This Human Target show is pretty good[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm enjoying it, even though the plot has been pretty predictable.

(sorry for the TP)

Anyone want to bet on how many ME2 ads will be on tonight on 24? so far I saw 2 in the first commercial break.

[quote name='dabamus'](sorry for the TP)

Anyone want to bet on how many ME2 ads will be on tonight on 24? so far I saw 2 in the first commercial break.[/QUOTE]

5 is my guess

Kind-of a lackluster opening night I thought. But there are some interesting setups. I for one can't wait until the new CTU chief gets his ass handed to him.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yawn, seems like yet another paint-by-numbers season so far. Here's hoping I'll be proven wrong.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

They couldn't bring back CTU without the incompetent man in charge who won't listen to a thing Jack Bauer says!

Over/Under on number of times Bauer is arrested? Is 5 too low?

At least there's Katee Sakhoff. :drool:

I liked it, not that crazy of a Season opening compared to other Seasons, but from the early reviews they mentioned the motor really kicks in during Hour 3 and 4. I love the new CTU, and it was nice to see Jack happy if only for 10 minutes... Can't wait for the second night of the premiere.

Human Target was complete shit and I hope it gets canceled quickly.

I really hate this "new class" feel that 24 has going on. They've pretty much painted Jack and Chloe out to be old timers whose methods and resources are slow and outdated, while everyone else is young, faster, and "more efficient".

Also,
CTU drones above the city? Really? Really?

[quote name='Scorch']
I really hate this "new class" feel that 24 has going on. They've pretty much painted Jack and Chloe out to be old timers whose methods and resources are slow and outdated, while everyone else is young, faster, and "more efficient".
[/QUOTE]

And yet Jack and Chloe are right as always and will save the day. Setting Bauer up against a stubborn and ineffective CTU is hardly new territory.

[quote name='bvharris']And yet Jack and Chloe are right as always and will save the day. Setting Bauer up against a stubborn and ineffective CTU is hardly new territory.[/QUOTE]

I think the storyline is more about overreliance on whiz-bang technology gizmos and I admit I'm enjoying it.

Jack never loses sight of the forest for the trees, he's not going to rely on some James Bond or MacGyver bs when an ax to the chest will do the job.

It's also nice to see Jack and Chloe acting like real human beings instead of Captain America.

I thought that the first 2hrs were pretty weak. I know it's mainly setup for the season but it was a pretty weak setup.

Also, what's with the storyline of that one chick who has a hick sister? "my exboyfriend is out of prison and he found me"...who the fuck cares!?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I thought that the first 2hrs were pretty weak. I know it's mainly setup for the season but it was a pretty weak setup.

Also, what's with the storyline of that one chick who has a hick sister? "my exboyfriend is out of prison and he found me"...who the fuck cares!?[/QUOTE]

Probably a domestic abuse storyline to build up Freddie's character (he'll probably kill the redneck ex at some point or another) and establish his relationship with blondie. I'm assuming they're (Freddie and blondie) engaged, based on the annoying flirting that took place last night.

[quote name='Scorch']Probably a domestic abuse storyline to build up Freddie's character (he'll probably kill the redneck ex at some point or another) and establish his relationship with blondie. I'm assuming they're (Freddie and blondie) engaged, based on the annoying flirting that took place last night.[/QUOTE]

True.

I did spot a ring on her wedding finger as well last night.

I liked the season premiere can't wait for tonight! It's too early to tell if this season will be so called "paint by numbers" in my opinion. Anyone else notice that the actor playing Davros was Percy from The Green Mile and the actor playing Brian Hastings was Bubba from Forrest Gump. What is this the six degrees of Tom Hanks?

[quote name='Scorch']Probably a domestic abuse storyline to build up Freddie's character (he'll probably kill the redneck ex at some point or another) and establish his relationship with blondie. I'm assuming they're (Freddie and blondie) engaged, based on the annoying flirting that took place last night.[/QUOTE]

Freddy Prinze was getting razzed while getting on the chopper about her getting cold feet.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Freddy Prinze was getting razzed while getting on the chopper about her getting cold feet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're definitely engaged. They were talking about the wedding. On another note, looks like ratings for the premiere last night dropped 12% from last year. It could've been the later timeslot though.

Is it just me or is Freddie Prinze's acting way overdone? Everytime he tries to act stressful, it looks like he's trying to hold back a turd or wants to throw up.

I'd be curious to see how his character will develop moving forward with the first few hours of the season.

So far, he knows to listen to Jack, which is more than most characters figure out by hour 2.

Renee's probably...
or rather Renee's cover probably needed to do something crazy to sell herself as one of them.
Pretty good two episodes with a couple of dull moments.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd be curious to see how his character will develop moving forward with the first few hours of the season.

So far, he knows to listen to Jack, which is more than most characters figure out by hour 2.[/QUOTE]

I was leery about him too but I've been impressed so far. Like you said, the fact that he listens to Jack (seems to be even a bit of hero worship there) definitely helps.

I also feel like Hastings is so over-the-top incompetent that they're setting him up to either redeem himself or die tragically. The "out for him/herself, Bauer-rejecting CTU head" angle is the most paint-by-numbers part of the season for me so far. At least he seems willing to grant Jack a little attitude, if only to cover his own ass.

Oh, and last night was like a casting dream for me, with the appearance of Domenick Lombardozzi (The Wire), David Anders (Alias), and Callum Keith Rennie (Battlestar Galactica), though he didn't actually appear yet - I hope he impresses more than fellow Battlestar alum Katee Sakhoff, who sadly has been dissapointing to me so far.

I agree about Katee Sakhoff. And I'm not feeling her character at ALL. In fact, she's so stupid I hope they just kill her off quickly. But I know they won't. And here's to hoping the season really starts picking up--it's been the most lackluster beginning I can remember.

[quote name='keithp']I agree about Katee Sakhoff. And I'm not feeling her character at ALL. In fact, she's so stupid I hope they just kill her off quickly. But I know they won't. And here's to hoping the season really starts picking up--it's been the most lackluster beginning I can remember.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, her whole storyline is pretty terrible at the moment. Renee's actions at the end of the 4th hour were pretty damn awesome though.

I was also a bit disappointed to see Cliff Simon (Baal from Stargate) killed so quickly in the season. I was hoping he'd play a more prominent role as a bad guy.

[quote name='Ryukahn']
I was also a bit disappointed to see Cliff Simon (Baal from Stargate) killed so quickly in the season. I was hoping he'd play a more prominent role as a bad guy.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't even recognize him!

Okay, the third and fourth hour set this season up to be awesome. Freddie's actions at the end of episode three were badass. I hope he sticks around, but
I don't want him becoming the spotlight like I've heard they're trying to set him up to be. He's much better in a role like Chase.

Renee is badass, where'd her attitude come from?

and have they still not mentioned a timeframe between seasons yet?

So...Jack Bauer is a pansy now, right? In Season 3 he chops off a dude's head and puts it in a garbage bag. Fast forward to Season 8 and he's now aghast at what Renee did.

[quote name='Scorch']Renee is badass, where'd her attitude come from?[/QUOTE]

They basically have her set up like Jack was at the beginning of season 2. She
got fired for her interrogation of the head bad guy at the end of last season, went into depression, apparently tried to kill herself, and is now in a state of uncertainty
. I think it comes off as very believable and I really like what they are doing with the character. Her and Jack would make a badass 1-2 punch for any situation if she stays this way.

[quote name='KingBroly']So...Jack Bauer is a pansy now, right? In Season 3 he chops off a dude's head and puts it in a garbage bag. Fast forward to Season 8 and he's now aghast at what Renee did.[/QUOTE]

Eh? He's concerned about Renee, not the criminal. They're setting up the relationship between Jack and Renee as a continuation of the "redemption" theme from the past few seasons. The upshot is not that he's suddenly squeamish but rather that he doesn't want to see Renee become the kind of suicidal loner he was in the past. Jack's already buried a fireman's axe in a mook's chest this season.

The only good thing about having Katee Sakhoff in is the eventual potential rematch between her and the cylon. Sure, he's a russian now but deep down he hasn't forgotten his programming.

Starbuck vs. Leoben REMATCH!!!!

[quote name='bvharris']I was leery about him too but I've been impressed so far. Like you said, the fact that he listens to Jack (seems to be even a bit of hero worship there) definitely helps.

I also feel like Hastings is so over-the-top incompetent that they're setting him up to either redeem himself or die tragically. The "out for him/herself, Bauer-rejecting CTU head" angle is the most paint-by-numbers part of the season for me so far. At least he seems willing to grant Jack a little attitude, if only to cover his own ass.

Oh, and last night was like a casting dream for me, with the appearance of Domenick Lombardozzi (The Wire), David Anders (Alias), and Callum Keith Rennie (Battlestar Galactica), though he didn't actually appear yet - I hope he impresses more than fellow Battlestar alum Katee Sakhoff, who sadly has been dissapointing to me so far.[/QUOTE]I'm sure Jack's exploits are known far and wide across CTU. Those that aren't disavowed, of course.

Hastings is someone who's been dropped into the CTU role to run the new CTU, and I'm sure he's figuring out quickly that he's well over his head. I'm sure the things he's been dealing with up 'til now have been so routine, this looks like the tip of the clusterfuck iceberg without any clue of how problematic things are going to get. Once things begin to hit the fan hard, Hastings will realize he's way way over his head and start to figure out that Jack is the man for the job to keep things from going too far off the clip.

The whole Katee Sackhoff character seems so bipolar in the way she's working, it's hard to believe the plotline they're running with her. I'm curious to see how they run with this, though maybe just to see how quickly it ends.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Yeah, her whole storyline is pretty terrible at the moment. Renee's actions at the end of the 4th hour were pretty damn awesome though.

I was also a bit disappointed to see Cliff Simon (Baal from Stargate) killed so quickly in the season. I was hoping he'd play a more prominent role as a bad guy.[/QUOTE]Agreed on Renee's actions at the end of the ep. Pure badass and a nice flashback to Jack from a number of seasons past.

I did notice that we're making the run through the SciFi channel actors who aren't working with the ones from BSG and SG-1. Shall we expect SG Atlantis characters next? :D

Finally got time to watch the first 4 hours last night. I really like it so far. Like others I was very skeptical of Freddie Prinze Jr., but he was very solid. I like the angle they're taking with Rene as well (wasn't stoked about her coming back).

Only downer so far was the side plot with Dana and her apparent ex-boy friend/accomplice etc. Hopefully that goes somewhere important, and isn't just a boring/annoying subplot.

bread's done
Back