3D Dot Game Heroes - Out Now - Relive your 8-Bit childhood.

Character creation will be fun:

snaaaaaake1103.jpg

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/11/03/metal-gear-solid-4s-hero-as-a-3d-dot-game-hero/

Any word of this coming stateside yet?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Any word of this coming stateside yet?[/QUOTE]

You really gotta stop being a lazy ass and read replies in threads.

... Lost me at Tower Defense. I was excited! Until someone mentioned that.

Yes. I'm aware it's a mini game, but I have a feeling that I'll still be expected to play it during the course of the main game.

@KongaKing

Please let us know how good it is, how long the story is, and if we need to stay excited about it.

This game looks so good so far, I must own it. I hope we will get a USA release before these guys land themselves in court for copyright issues.

Not holding my breath, but interesting read nonetheless:

If you Xbox 360 owners have been reading posts about 3D Dot Game Heroes and anticipating its localization with green, envy-filled eyes, you'll be pleased to learn that there's a tiny chance the game could be spinning inside your console sometime in the future.

My Game News Flash recently stopped by Silicon Studios to chat up producer Hiroyuki Misawa, who offered that a port is "possible," but that it's really "up to From [Software]." He added, "We're a developer, so if there's a call to make it, I believe we can do it." Hardly confirmation that a port is in the works, but should that be a future move for From Software, Silicon Studios sounds like it's willing.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/08/xbox-360-port-of-3d-dot-game-heroes-possible/

While it would be nice, this game is probably going to be staying on the PS3. Still, it'd be great to see it cross boundaries :)

So, this game is AWESOME. Holy crap. If you loved classic 2D Zelda games, this is for you. It's so much like Zelda it's crazy. I got the "Dash Boots" and they look and act exactly like the Pegasus boots (Hold button down to run forward with your sword out). The first dungeon is pure Link to the Past. You walk into a room, doors close, so you have to kill everything. The doors then open, and you move on. You find keys that you use later on in the dungeon, and there are also buttons on the walls, so you had to find the boomer-rang. And right before the dungeon boss, there was a warp to take you to the front of the dungeon, ala zelda. The boss even had a glowing area to know where to hit it. Heck there's even chickens going around town (I didn't try beating them up yet)

I put an hour or so into the game and if it keeps this pace up, wow. It has such a nostalgic feel. It's beautiful and so much fun.

I don't read or speak Japanese, but I've had no trouble so far. Again, if you have played a zelda game, you pretty much know what to do. The blacksmith has a sword sign over his roof, magic guy has potions over his, etc. So finding those areas are easy enough. The boots I got from a guy I just talked to, so talking to everyone just in case is a good idea. I've bought stuff, upgraded stuff, no problems. There is a little english in the game but it's pointless. On the main HUD it says what buttons are for block/map/etc in english and it says "Heath" and "Magic" in english next to their icons on the upper left of the screen. Of course this english is pointless since you can figure that out on your own.

I'll post more impressions ans I go along and I'll write up a review once the game is finished. I'll try to keep track of how many hours I play.

[quote name='dallow']They should port it to maximize sales. Didn't do so hot first week in Japan. If it's a cheap port.[/QUOTE]

That's not cool to hear. I think it will do better in the States regardless, just because Zelda is a lot bigger here.

I don't see it getting ported just because of From's relationship with Sony at the moment. But either way it wouldn't surprise me. The more the merrier.

EDIT - KongaKing, good to hear! I will just wait for the official localized one, because that's what I do... but still great to see you are loving it. Keep us posted for sure.

@KongaKing

Thanks for the info, let us know how long the game is.

I love the trailers and I want to know if you can kill those dragons flying around the castle..

So just for fun I started attacking the chicken walking around the town, and low and behold, after a few hits, a ton of chickens came flying out and attacking me, just like zelda.

You can take in-game screen shots, so I took one of the chicken fight

3DChickens.jpg

Have you tried making your own character yet? I wonder how easy or difficult it is.

Also, have you unlocked many trophies from just playing blindly?

Konga - if this is as close to Zelda as you say, it's my number 1 most anticipated game now. Look forward to (hopefully) seeing more updates from you soon.

[quote name='dallow']Have you tried making your own character yet? I wonder how easy or difficult it is.

Also, have you unlocked many trophies from just playing blindly?[/QUOTE]

There wasn't an option as of yet to make your own guy, maybe you have to beat the game first to unlock it. I had to pick from 6 or so pre made characters.

I've unlocked 8 trophies so far.

Just made it to the 2nd dungeon. I had to use a magic tablet I got from dungeon 1 to show the path. It was pretty much the Lost Woods from zelda, where if you went the wrong way, you'd start back at the beginning. The tablet showed a map and I wrote down up left left up down down up left, etc to remember the correct path.

I upgraded my sword, got the bow and arrow and bought some more magic items.

Oh, you can upgrade your health like zelda too. You get one full apple (that's like hearts) when you beat a boss and it adds a full apple to your health. You can also find and earn 4th pieces of apple, to build one, to earn a full health too. Ala Zelda.

So, I haven't had too much time to play but I did get through the 3rd dungeon now. I got the hook shot there also. Oh I got bombs in the 2nd dungeon. It seems to be getting tougher. It's kinda weird going back to a 2d zelda type game, since there is no lock on, and you just put your shield in front of you, and if someone walks to your side you have to let go of the button and turn around, then re-up the shield.

The world is a lot bigger than I thought. It took me a half hour or so to get from dungeon 2 to 3, they were on opposite sides of the map.

Have had no language problems so far, so that's a plus. I admit I have paid people a few times not knowing what would happen, but it's trial and error. The main story though is simple and no problems to figure out what to do.

The item I got from dungeon 2 helped a ton in the 3rd (Think mirror shield, but covers your entire body) and reflects magic. The enemies now take an average of 6 hits to kill, so stunning them with the boomerrang or hookshot then attacking them is the best option.

I am hoping to find or buy more bottles, since I only have 1 right now and I need health now and then in tense areas.

I love this game. It's just so good.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I want this game. Badly.

It feels odd that it's such a Zelda rip off though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I ran into these guys yesterday. If they are not a total rip off of the Zelda octorok's, then I don't know what is. They jump out of the water and shoot rock type things at you.

octorok.jpg

They basically remade a Zelda game in a blocky 3D pixel thing. Apparently they were tapped creatively by Demon's Souls. I feel pretty fine with this though, and will definitely be pre-ordering this.

Yeah, to me, it's close to Zelda gameplay-wise, but it looks a lot like Dragon Warrior on the NES.

The blockiness is going to be an issue for me, as I still have a SDTV. It's almost guaranteed that it'll look like a mess on my screen, so I'll wait for a bit. Still might ultimately pass, it just looks... weird.

[quote name='gunm']What the hell, so this is just Zelda remade as Legos?

I'm actually a little...disappointed.[/QUOTE]

To be creatively bankrupt is more fun than being innovative!

I'll have to take your word for it SuperPhillip (stupid iPod can't view flash). But, this is kickass news.

Wow. Am thinking of a thanks giving gift
p.gif
and seriously this ps3 plus the amazing price might just suffice. Awesome thanks mate.

[quote name='Jodou']After how amazing Demon's Souls was, I'm willing to try anything From them.[/QUOTE]

I thought about that. I don't really care for Tenchu, Otogi, and some of the other games From has made. They only hit a Home Run w/Demon's Souls for me. I dunno if I would even enjoy a sequel to Demon's Souls as there is just something that "clicks" with me about the game that I'm not sure can be duplicated.

But I probably would buy Demon's Souls II, if they made it. >_

bread's done
Back