3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool, glad I was waiting for more games to come out before I bought one.

I'll be getting a Vita as well when it comes out.

I don't get why fanboys even exist, just buy all!

[quote name='strait edge follower']Why would you want a console to fail ? The more sucessfull consoles on the market there are the healthier the industry is[/QUOTE]

'Cause he's a bitter loser? :lol:

[quote name='Earthbound_X']Pretty cool, glad I was waiting for more games to come out before I bought one.

I'll be getting a Vita as well when it comes out.

I don't get why fanboys even exist, just buy all![/QUOTE]

QFT, no idea why anyone would spend free time whining and raging over a video game/system. Just buy them all and enjoy them ^_^. Planning to buy a Vita on launch day too

The CAG in me says to wait until Amazon Warehouse Deals start having 3DS systems at $109 - $129. They've been as low as $170 at AWD, so I'll just wait it out. Good on Nintendo for dropping the price though - looks like Vita really did shake 'em up. Competition is great!

[quote name='earvcunanan']The CAG in me says to wait until Amazon Warehouse Deals start having 3DS systems at $109 - $129. They've been as low as $170 at AWD, so I'll just wait it out. Good on Nintendo for dropping the price though - looks like Vita really did shake 'em up. Competition is great![/QUOTE]

I would have never thought this would happen to nintendo due to the fact that untill the psp came into the market nintendo had a monopoly over the potable game market. Gotta Give credit to Sony to force some competition here. Its good for us cheapies. Oh and that Amazon idea is a great one !

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']would hate to be an early adopter right now[/QUOTE]

Getting 20 FREE exclusive full games is something to hate?

Even if the games only costed 5$ each, thats a total of about 100$.

Anyone who buys something on Day 1 and doesnt expect a drop is a bit dumb, this is quite an awesome surprise and i cant wait to get all of these games

[quote name='strait edge follower']I would have never thought this would happen to nintendo due to the fact that untill the psp came into the market nintendo had a monopoly over the potable game market. Gotta Give credit to Sony to force some competition here. Its good for us cheapies. Oh and that Amazon idea is a great one ![/QUOTE]

I think they have more competition with Apple than Sony.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Getting 20 FREE exclusive full games is something to hate?

Anyone who buys something on Day 1 and doesnt expect a drop is a bit dumb, this is quite an awesome surprise and i cant wait to get all of these games[/QUOTE]

No one really expects such a substantial cut on new hardware so soon.
I wager most people bought a 3DS to play 3DS games, not NES and GBA roms, so that "reward" won't appeal to everyone.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Getting 20 FREE exclusive full games is something to hate?

Anyone who buys something on Day 1 and doesnt expect a drop is a bit dumb, this is quite an awesome surprise and i cant wait to get all of these games[/QUOTE]

dude... we're on CAG. We can probably buy an NES, gameboy advance, + 30 games for them for less than a $100

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']dude... we're on CAG. We can probably buy an NES, gameboy advance, + 30 games for them for less than a $100[/QUOTE]

People still re-buy virtual versions of stuff despite owning the original. Thats not really much of an argument.

Convenience Factor+Free=Awesome

As a 3DS owner, I think this is pretty cool. I was expecting a price drop anyway and I think I would have bought a good chunk of those virtual console games at regular price when they were released. So I'm content if I'm getting them for free.

[quote name='blueweltall']I wonder if the DSi and DSi XL will also get a price drop as well.[/QUOTE]

They have to.
Which is great as I want an XL badly.

[quote name='dgwillia006']People still re-buy virtual versions of stuff despite owning the original. Thats not really much of an argument.

Convenience Factor+Free=Awesome[/QUOTE]

but honestly would you rather have your $100 back or 20 "NES" and "Gameboy Advance Games" for your 3DS

Also what people can do to take advantage of both deals is go buy one at best buy tomorrow for $250. Get the 20 games. Come back on August 12th and price match!

[quote name='Salamando3000']I don't know what to make of the bolded part. On one hand, exclusive content to early adopters is cool, I guess. On the other, they have no plans to make Metroid Fusion or Mario Kart Super Circuit available to everyone else? Pretty lame.[/QUOTE]
Yeah they say they have no plans now, but that will change. There's no way Nintendo wont be selling those games at some point. They will likely give 3DS early adopters a few months of exclusivity before opening the 3DS GBA VC.

To everyone who says the 3DS is bombing, you should realize Nintendo did the same thing when the PSP was around.

A lot of these responses are completely ridiculous. And I just want to point out that it's a price drop of $80. Not 100, not 90. I don't know where those numbers are coming from.

[quote name='Nohbdy']To everyone who says the 3DS is bombing, you should realize Nintendo did the same thing when the PSP was around.[/QUOTE]

They dropped the price this much?

[quote name='dallow']They have to.
Which is great as I want an XL badly.[/QUOTE]

They don't have to do anything.

And the XL is amazing.

[quote name='blueweltall']I wonder if the DSi and DSi XL will also get a price drop as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dallow']They have to.
Which is great as I want an XL badly.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dgwillia006']If the XL price drops, i might grab one of those too

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm really curious about the price adjustment thing. My wife's been on the edge about getting a 3DS and if we can buy one now, connect to the eShop, then price adjust, but still get the free games... whew... that might be good enough to do it.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea. Best buy 30 pricematch policy come to mind.

This thing was doomed to fail as soon as it was announced to be supporting 3D. 3D is like the plague for the normal consumers, people go out of their way to ignore it. The 3DS will never get even remotely close to DS sales figures worldwide, and personally i think they should just scrap the system and release a new Gameboy instead. This one is tainted.

I purchased 2 3DS at launch and I dont have any problem with this at all
(Got a black one for me and a blue one for the gf)

I love this thing, its my fave console ever and I havnt had a single problem with it since ive owned it. The fact that im getting 20 free games AND 10 of them being exclusive is just icing on the cake. Im not a fanboy at all, I just like to have fun and the 3DS is very fun...but so will the VITA when it comes out, thats why im going to buy one of them as well.

I hope to GOD that the free Zelda game we get is A Link to the Past *crosses fingers and toes*

I just ordered a 3DS off of Amazon Warehouse yesterday for $197 damn. If it comes new with a dented box I might keep to get the free games, but if its worn, back to the Warehouse it goes.

Just when Sony thought they could get somewhere with the Vita, Nintendo had to pull this. I believe Sony is taking a hit with the Vita at $250 as it is, don't see them competing with Nintendo on the price of the 3DS at this point. With the new games coming out at the end of the year/next year and the new price, I think Nintendo might be able to sell the 3DS quite well now.

I'll be grabbing mine on Newegg when the new price hits so I don't have to pay tax (Amazon charges tax in WA :cry:)

I think it's funny how they spin 800,000 people into something good. That's a terrible user base and won't promote any 3rd party developers to switch to it from the DS.

3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On August 12th - Early Adopters Get The Shaft

Change the title OP
you know this to be true.

Wow...
Looks like Nintendo is scared of the Vita

BTW, how hard is to make it to Ambassador?
Are those games available to the Average Joe?

I just bought a used 25th Anniversary Red DSi XL for $121. Still waiting for it to arrive, but yeah, the XL looks like the definitive DS experience. I'll probably hold out until January for a 3DS. Too many games for the PS3, DS, PSP and even the Wii that I want this fall.

Hopefully, the trend of delaying 3rd party games or canceling games/support will stop because of this. I am much more interested in the Vita, but I want some healthy competition.

[quote name='Mikocouch']They dropped the price this much?[/QUOTE]

No, the DS went from $150 to $130 after a couple of years and stayed that way till this year I think.

I might consider buying this now, if I could get the Best Buy price match.

Save your money folks and go stick to the consoles. I think Nintendo is crap now. Let's play a rehash game OR let's play Nintendogs, l a w l.

[quote name='illmatic21']And I thought console wars/fanboys were bad. Holy sweet jesus, some of these posts are ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, Vita fan-boys loathe the 3DS, and think the Vita will automatically be more awesome and have a better game selection.

And other people who probally have never played the system (Or for maybe 5 or 10 minutes), think its total fail/a gimmick.

[quote name='cRodz']
BTW, how hard is to make it to Ambassador?
Are those games available to the Average Joe?[/QUOTE]

The GBA games are exclusive to Ambassadors. They will not be released after they are given out or anything like that.

Wait, so you could buy this at Best Buy before the 12th ... be eligible for the free games ... and then get a price adjustment after the 12th? Ethical ... probably not ... but possible?

I'm curious as to what the news will be like towards systems selling on eBay. I'm trying to get a new one there for $170 so I can make that 12th deadline.

Lol, i doubt they will lower their prices for a while.

Im glad with the drop though, buying one of those shiny Flare Red 3DS's will hurt my wallet much less now. (Probally gonna keep my Black 3DS too, unless you can transfer the games over later)

[quote name='crazydom2']What?! I cannot believe this. Nintendo dropping the price by almost $100 is just absurd. I'm still having trouble believing this is real. This is Nintendo basically admitting the things a complete failure.[/QUOTE]

Hehe
Apple would say something "YOU ARE HOLDING THE 3DS WRONG TO VIEW 3D" and keep overcharging for the device

that is a really sweet bonus for people who paid full price. almost makes me want to pick one up

wouldnt mind seeing the dsi xl drop about $80 though so i can upgrade from my regular old 1st edition ds

Ouch.. Picked up a 3DS slightly over 30 days ago that I've used for under 2 hours total. Been trying to sell it aggressively on CL for $200, but no one seems to be biting. I'm going to have to take an even bigger hit now.

[quote name='dafunkk12']As someone who already owns a 3DS, the big news from this announcement is the expansion of 3DS' Virtual Console to include GBA games! ...And I guess non-updated NES games means potential for other home console support. Hopefully they don't make you rebuy anything you already bought on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Just like the Xperia Play method? Lol, anyways when I say this title. I couldn't believe. I instantly thought I could trade in the games I don't want, but they're downloabable... Lol for being cheap. That's a much better price, and I have a feeling more people will buy this system now because it's cheaper.

I don't understand all the ugggh for the 3ds I like it. LOL If it is true I think 169.00 is a great price and with games to boot it is a win win.. Glad they didn't leave out early adopters.

I think on another note people are saying 250 is too high for a handheld. Imo if they launched at 169 the landscape would be different. The same with consoles there are just certian price points that are just too hgh for the people.

IMo the vita should be no more than 200.

I bought at launch. I still like the 3DS but I can't help feeling mad about this. In spite of the lack luster games I still own twenty of them, most of which are terrible after 30 minutes or I wouldn't have bought given a demo. (Don't worry CAG, none were full price.) I don't care about 3D at all, I bought this given how good the DS is and because I like Nintendo. I can't help thinking "this is the thanks we get?" Give me a physical game or two. I don't know, $80 is a lot of money for such a short period of time. If they were really honorable, Nintendo would give us money back like Apple did when the iPhone dropped $100 a few months after it launched.

I know the price point and games are the main reason this system is failing but the real reason is because you can't steal games for it. Isn't that a large reason why the DS is still going strong?

edit: no coincidence that this is announce just over a month after Zelda came out. Sorry, can't return your systems now. Buhhhh.

bread's done
Back