3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, fuck Nintendo! I want to get rid of my fucking 3DS now more than ever after they pulled this shit. I don't think I'll ever buy another Nintendo product as long as I live. If they gave me $80 back, I'd be happy, but I couldn't care less about those free games. Now nobody is going to buy my 3DS on eBay without screwing me right up the ass!

I bought one at launch, and I'm not mad. Five stars for twenty free games. Look forward to seeing more GBA titles in the future as well.

It's a good system, but it just needs some time for the library to expand.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Wow, fuck Nintendo! I want to get rid of my fucking 3DS now more than ever after they pulled this shit. I don't think I'll ever buy another Nintendo product as long as I live. If they gave me $80 back, I'd be happy, but I couldn't care less about those free games.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the downsides of being an early adapter. You never really know when or how much the price will drop. But im pretty sure if the Vita wasn't coming out then this would not have happened. Not by this much anyway. Smart move by nintendo.

[quote name='vodkablast']

edit: no coincidence that this is announce just over a month after Zelda came out. Sorry, can't return your systems now. Buhhhh.[/QUOTE]

That's because they knew that Zelda OoT (a game that has been re-released in the past already) was their only big seller and nobody gives a shit about any of their other craptastic games.

Whoa. . . . . Even though this looks 100% legit I still can't believe it's true. That's an insane price drop, I would have never thought it would drop that much. $229 would have been my guess.

That's a pretty fair price once there's actually some games to play with it. I'm surprised at an $80 drop even though the thing is worth no more than $170. Kudos to Nintendo for that at least. Should end up selling pretty well this holiday season now with Mario coming.

I might even get another one (sold mine after playing Zelda) once some Mario games and Luigis Mansion and such are out. Good stuff. Nintendos doing what it needs to do to save itself.

Looks like Nintendo was overly confident with their brand after the Wii and DS just kept selling. The 3DS wasn't marketed well, either... I know a lot of people who don't realize it's a new system, they assume it's a regular old DS with 3D capabilities.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']The GBA games are exclusive to Ambassadors. They will not be released after they are given out or anything like that.[/QUOTE]

That's what they say now. They also said a few months there were 'no plans' to release GBA games on the service at all. I would wager we will see these games a couple years down the line and the 'ambassadors' are basically beta testing for Nintendo.

[quote name='etcrane']Wait, so you could buy this at Best Buy before the 12th ... be eligible for the free games ... and then get a price adjustment after the 12th? Ethical ... probably not ... but possible?[/QUOTE]

Theoretically. Only one way to find out, really.

wow i bought one for my son at launch and he doesn't even play it at all. I bought Ocarina of Time just the thing would get some use. That's what I get for buying early

For all those trying to sell their 3DS now... might want to wait until the free "exclusive" GBA games are released... the download them and put the system up on fleabay with the "exclusive" games as an added bonus. The Fanboys that can't get them otherwise will probably go wild for it and you might be able to make extra $$ on it, instead of taking a hit on it now (especially if Nintendo holds true to the not making them available otherwise part).

[quote name='johnnypark']Looks like Nintendo was overly confident with their brand after the Wii and DS just kept selling. The 3DS wasn't marketed well, either... I know a lot of people who don't realize it's a new system, they assume it's a regular old DS with 3D capabilities.[/QUOTE]

That's because it essentially is.

They can give me one for free and I still can't see 3D images with my eyes, I will stick with my DS

So.... the 20 games are for those who ALREADY own the 3DS? IS that what I am reading? I guess I am still waiting on it them. Was gonna buy it if they were saying the price is $170 AND you get 20 games. lol Pass.

They needed to drop the price before Christmas, I just didn't know it would be this drastic. Good move on their part though. And while I did feel a little cheated when reading the title, those are quality titles I'm getting for free, so I'm glad they are rewarding early adopters so handsomely!

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']That's because it essentially is.[/QUOTE]

Damn I didn't realize the DS could stream netflix, has an acceleromter, gyroscope and takes 3D pictures...

now I feel ripped off :roll:

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']So.... the 20 games are for those who ALREADY own the 3DS? IS that what I am reading? I guess I am still waiting on it them. Was gonna buy it if they were saying the price is $170 AND you get 20 games. lol Pass.[/QUOTE]

Or you could, ya know buy it like a week before the drop @ BB and then get them to price match after.

Nintendo "Soooo hey guys, we realize how overpriced this lil gadget was and we feel really really bad about early adopters so ummm we're gonna keep all ur moniez and umm give you something that costs us virtually nothing to make it better k?"

My only beef with the 3ds is that I was sold on the 3rd party support at e3 last year and its now extremely delayed if not non existent after release.

[quote name='GBAstar']Damn I didn't realize the DS could stream netflix, has an acceleromter, gyroscope and takes 3D pictures...

now I feel ripped off :roll:[/QUOTE]

That's what makes it the NEXT version in the DS series, smartass! And you should feel ripped off because you spent $80 more than you had to.

[quote name='QiG']Nintendo "Soooo hey guys, we realize how overpriced this lil gadget was and we feel really really bad about early adopters so ummm we're gonna keep all ur moniez and umm give you something that costs us virtually nothing to make it better k?"

[/QUOTE]

So true, man, so fucking true!

I traded my 3DS in, hopefully this isn't a timed promotion, because that'd be sweet if I could get these whenever I get one again. Thanks for the heads up OP!

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']I traded my 3DS in, hopefully this isn't a timed promotion, because that'd be sweet if I could get these whenever I get one again. Thanks for the heads up OP![/QUOTE]

You have to connect to the eshop with it before August 12. It's not going to count if you connected to the eshop with a 3DS you no longer have.

Raging on forums just makes you look like a douche and/or a troll. Go play in some other thread if this one makes you FURIOUS. Nobody wants to read 30 posts by some loser crying because a big bad video game company hurt his feelings. What I do is, and I know this may seem crazy, but I like to post in the threads that I'm actually interested in and stay out of the threads that I don't care about. I'm pretty sure that nothing on any forum could ever make me rage as hard as some of these fools. How a price drop announcement can infuriate people this much is beyond me. Anyway have fun raging your ass off, at this point I can only assume you enjoy it.

[quote name='pippin']How a price drop announcement can infuriate people this much is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

So we should be happy that we lost $80? Mmkay.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']For all those trying to sell their 3DS now... might want to wait until the free "exclusive" GBA games are released... the download them and put the system up on fleabay with the "exclusive" games as an added bonus. The Fanboys that can't get them otherwise will probably go wild for it and you might be able to make extra $$ on it, instead of taking a hit on it now (especially if Nintendo holds true to the not making them available otherwise part).[/QUOTE]

This is a good point. I don't have one but if I did have one that I wanted to get rid of I'd dump it in early December with the extra games.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']So we should be happy that we lost $80? Mmkay.[/QUOTE]
No, we should flood the thread with post after post crying about it. We get it, you're mad. Move along.

[quote name='pippin']Raging on forums just makes you look like a douche and/or a troll. Go play in some other thread if this one makes you FURIOUS. Nobody wants to read 30 posts by some loser crying because a big bad video game company hurt his feelings. What I do is, and I know this may seem crazy, but I like to post in the threads that I'm actually interested in and stay out of the threads that I don't care about. I'm pretty sure that nothing on any forum could ever make me rage as hard as some of these fools. How a price drop announcement can infuriate people this much is beyond me. Anyway have fun raging your ass off, at this point I can only assume you enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

?

Who are you directing this to? Most of the repeat posters in this thread are just people gloating about how Nintendo sucks, but you make it seem like the other way around.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']So we should be happy that we lost $80? Mmkay.[/QUOTE]

How did you lose $80? You made the decision to buy it and owned it for longer than anyone else who was holding out before the price drop.

[quote name='pippin']No, we should flood the thread with post after post crying about it. We get it, you're mad. Move along.[/QUOTE]

This thread was posted to get people's reactions. I am posting my reaction. If you have a problem with that, then you're the one who should move along.

Let your emotions out people! Its healthy! Nothing wrong with doing that. And besides this is CAG is it not? The complaints about prices are fine then

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hhhdx4']How did you lose $80? You made the decision to buy it and owned it for longer than anyone else who was holding out before the price drop.[/QUOTE]

No other console in the history of gaming has had a price drop this quickly. Most people expected it to be at least a year or two before any price drop happened. Nintendo pulled a fast one and they know it.

I'm also losing money because the re-sale value will also drop $80 as a result.

My guess is several stores will drop their price on the DS early, so you'll be able to buy one at the new price before the official price drop date and still get the 20 free games. Or you could buy someplace like target a week early and then take your receipt back for a price adjustment after the drop.

This is all too reminiscent of Apples original iPhone price drop in 2007.
At least Nintendo already provided something for the early adopters.

I'm as much a CAG as everyone else, but people who complain about $80 bucks make me laugh. You know you've bought a Collector's Edition (or editions) of something at launch only to have it drop $40-$90 within a month or two. These things happen, it's life, go ahead and say fuck you Nintendo I'm sure they'll be devastated to lose you. I am thrilled to get all the free downloads as they owe me nothing I chose to pay the $250 that was my choice.

Forget the 3DS my wife and I just had our first baby and she is costing a fortune, when can I expect the price drop on her?

Huh I had just bought one used (like new) not long ago for $212 and thought it was a great deal, but then returned it a week later (Amazon Warehouse) because I needed the apply the money elsewhere... Was just going to get a normal DS but the prices on those were atrociously high. Hopefully DS (i's and Lites) prices will plummet too.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']These things happen, it's life[/QUOTE]

Actually, no, they don't happen. You show me one other console where the price dropped 32% in 4 months.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']I'm as much a CAG as everyone else, but people who complain about $80 bucks make me laugh. You know you've bought a Collector's Edition (or editions) of something at launch only to have it drop $40-$90 within a month or two. These things happen, it's life, go ahead and say fuck you Nintendo I'm sure they'll be devastated to lose you. I am thrilled to get all the free downloads as they owe me nothing I chose to pay the $250 that was my choice.

Forget the 3DS my wife and I just had our first baby and she is costing a fortune, when can I expect the price drop on her?[/QUOTE]

put your baby on eBay if you are not happy of the hidden costs

Let's see, I bought the 3DS from Target who offered a $25 gc, so the net difference is the new console will be $55 cheaper. $55 / 20 = $2.75 per virtual game. That's not too bad considering Wii nes vc games cost $5 and although gba vc games haven't been priced before, gb games in the eShop are $4 and gbc are $6 so they'll probably cost at least $5.

I'm glad GBA games are coming to the eShop (

OK. So I am thinking of buying a 3DS now. I found a deal on craigslist where a guy is offering the 3ds with zelda and resident evil 3ds for $200. He said everything is mint and complete. Considering the free games coming out what do you think about that deal? I like to get peoples opinions :eek:)

this reminds me of when ds first lauched. a second revision dslite, we all know how that sell. maybe nintendo will also release a second revision of 3ds and i probably still dont care.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']No other console in the history of gaming has had a price drop this quickly. Most people expected it to be at least a year or two before any price drop happened. Nintendo pulled a fast one and they know it.

I'm also losing money because the re-sale value will also drop $80 as a result.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you can't sell your 3DS for as much anymore :cry:

However, this is good for those of us actually keeping our 3DS. The price cut will draw a bigger user-base which will attract more 3rd party developers.

20 games is also a very generous apology.

Yoshi's Island for free? It was worth it to get the 3DS earlier just to get this game for free.

Hopefully another GBA game will be Zelda: The Minish Cap.

My dilemma here is whether to:

A) Buy it for $250, eat up all the games, and then get a price adjustment to $170.

or

B) Continue waiting it out for another price drop or the 3DSlim (the latter being more likely).

I still don't actually own a DS myself (brother does), was waiting to get a Lite cheap so chances are I'll have some form of DS because of this sale (DS Lites are selling $100 for new right now, they better get the fucking price drop they should have, same with XLs).

I think the other 10 games are going to more blah titles honestly. Nintendo needs all the good press it can get right now, no sense holding back the gems.

bread's done
Back