3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is bullshit. I already own all of those games and they can be bought really cheap(or played for free) on the older systems. Like someone said earlier we should get a voucher for a free 3ds game but I say it should be 2 free 3ds games since it is an $80 price drop and that is how much 2 3ds games cost. The only way this would be ok is if 1 of the gba games were pokemon and it included online trades and battles.

[quote name='nyobzoo']man I would've been mad if bought a 3ds, I'd rather save $80 then get NES and GBA games[/QUOTE]

And now some people are going to get both...that should really piss people off.

^Super PSPgo 2000 or PSP NGP Vita! I still like Super PSPgo 2000!

Yeah, I might wait for a redesign on the 3DS. Hoping for a 3DS XL or 3DS Lite, both with a better battery life.

[quote name='jer7583']if you're smart you'd buy one at best buy less than a month before the drop and then get a price adjustment, and get the free NES/GBA games.[/QUOTE]

That's brilliant! Thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I know it won't happen, but am I wrong for hoping that Sony will drop the launch price of the Vita to compete?

I had already decided on the Vita over the 3ds, but this price drop is excellent. I still feel like people are making it out to be bigger than it is though. This is only an $80 price drop (LOL at people saying it is $100) and the vita's features and future replayability are worth more than $80.

[quote name='dallow']No one really expects such a substantial cut on new hardware so soon.
I wager most people bought a 3DS to play 3DS games, not NES and GBA roms, so that "reward" won't appeal to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Good point, that's what I wanted to say. My first impression was 20 free games for the 3DS? That's insane! I don't need to wait for a price drop at all. BUT then I realized it's 20 old games, tiny little ROM games, which can be played on almost any device... Even if they are $1 a piece, I still won't buy them and definitely won't buy a 3DS right now just to get them "free." It's a good drop, but I'm still getting a Vita over the newly priced 3DS (perhaps I get one for $100-$120ish like from Amazon's warehouse deal or something).

Only an $80 price drop?

First of all, $80 is a lot of money to some people, but I wouldn't expect the children on this forum whose parents buy them everything to understand that.

Second, it's a price drop of 32%. That's pretty damn significant.

Third, it's relatively early for a price drop, especially one of this magnitude.

Are there ANY good 3DS games? I'm not into street fighter or Resident Evil.

Lol, I just sold my DSIXL since I never played it and like 15 DS games.

So go buy one at Best buy.
Go online before the 12th.
Then once the price drops then get a price adjustment at Best buy. Or wherever you get it at. Not hard.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Only an $80 price drop?

First of all, $80 is a lot of money to some people, but I wouldn't expect the children on this forum whose parents buy them everything to understand that.

Third, it's relatively early for a price drop, especially one of this magnitude.[/QUOTE]

I would venture to guess a price drop of this magnitutde this quickly after launch is unprecedented.

At first I was pissed. But I know I would have bought those VC games anyway, so I'm ok with it. Now the question is if I love my girlfriend enough to do a buy/download/price adjust.

Just to compare:
PS3 drops $100 8 months after release (speedy1961 rules!)
3DS drops $80 4.5 months after release

Wow.

If the 3DS is $170 MSRP after Aug., then what will the MSRP be for the DSi and DSi XL?

Wow, that is a crazy drop so early in the system's life. They must really be feeling the heat from Sony. I might actually consider getting a 3DS now.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Are there ANY good 3DS games? I'm not into street fighter or Resident Evil.

Lol, I just sold my DSIXL since I never played it and like 15 DS games.[/QUOTE]
i heard the legend of zelda game is and I heard rumors to majors mask release

Well, I only paid $180 for mine on CL, so I guess this isn't too sickening. But damn, talk about a low blow to people who adopted early. It's nice offering games, but what if you don't want any of those games?

well, at least i get 20 free games which I would have probably gotten anyways. I can't complain. $169.99 is a great price for this system. If you are on the fence I suggest you pick it up...

It's kind of a bummer that they dropped the price so fast since I just got one last month but the free games totally make up for it. At least they did something instead of saying fuck you.

If you buy it at Best Buy today for $250, can you open it? Or do you need to leave it sealed until the 12th to get the price adjustment?

[quote name='JSiggy']I bought a 3DS on day 1 and have not regretted it. Now I get 20 free games!?!?!?!??! [/QUOTE]

me too. The 3ds is a great system. Feels like a modern console. I personally love the virtual console aspect and I like have a bunch of games on one device. Regular games will come and I think hope the $39.99 will go away as well (it did on the DS).

So no, I'm not in the least bit angry. I got the system earlier than most and I still get some free games.

My guess is that GBA VC games will be $7.99 X 10 is your $80 right there.

I was planning on trading in a few games to Amazon to get a giftcard to buy a warehouse unit. At this price, I'm definitely in! :)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just to compare:
PS3 drops $100 8 months after release (speedy1961 rules!)
3DS drops $80 4.5 months after release

Wow.

If the 3DS is $170 MSRP after Aug., then what will the MSRP be for the DSi and DSi XL?[/QUOTE]

Percentages are a better way to look at it

The PS3 had a 17% price drop after 8 months
The 3DS had a 32% price drop in 4.5 months

[quote name='SativaSam']If you buy it at Best Buy today for $250, can you open it? Or do you need to leave it sealed until the 12th to get the price adjustment?[/QUOTE]
Stating the obvious...
If you want the free games, you need to open it and take it online prior to price drop date.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Only an $80 price drop?

Third, it's relatively early for a price drop, especially one of this magnitude.[/QUOTE]

Nice assumption. Actually I'm not a child, and so no, $80 is not a lot of money to me. Your logic doesn't even make sense because kids who's parents buy them everything could care less about the price drop, those types had a 3DS at launch. You can look at percentages all you want, but my point was that if you wait a few months and pay $80 more you can get a superior gaming handheld. Who knows I may pick up a 3DS, but if a company is going to make a drop like this and offer all kinds of free games to lure people in, that says something about their product.

If Nintendo truly had a ton of killer games lined up they would be confident that they hardware would sell regardless of what Sony is doing. This price drop implies that they haven't planned for the future.

[quote name='SativaSam']If you buy it at Best Buy today for $250, can you open it? Or do you need to leave it sealed until the 12th to get the price adjustment?[/QUOTE]

You don't even have to take it to the store. All you need is a receipt. Yes, it's that easy.

Finally Nintendo admits defeat on their gimmicky hardware. Epic LOL at people who paid $250 for the hype and it should be a wake up call to not buy a Wii U at launch. Nintendo has lost their way and hopefully this will spur some action to stop fucking off with mediocre game systems and franchise rehashes. That or Sega needs to enter the game again and put them down.

$169 is a really, really great price, specially with the AAA Nintendo games coming in the rest of the year. At that price the 3DS is the most competitive platform in the market, and a great value.

Really looking forward to see just how much the sales increase.

[quote name='Jodou']Finally Nintendo admits defeat on their gimmicky hardware. Epic LOL at people who paid $250 for the hype and it should be a wake up call to not buy a Wii U at launch. Nintendo has lost their way and hopefully this will spur some action to stop fucking off with mediocre game systems and franchise rehashes.[/QUOTE]

Why so salty cowboy?

Announcing this 2 weeks in advance is sort of stupid. You are basically giving people 2 weeks to buy the dag thing AND get the games. The people who are being rewarded are not early adopters but those who have bought the game with 30-45 days of Aug 12th.

[quote name='mrbomb']It's kind of a bummer that they dropped the price so fast since I just got one last month but the free games totally make up for it. At least they did something instead of saying fuck you.[/QUOTE]

They did next to nothing because it costs Nintendo next to nothing to offer all of those games for free. They may as well have said fuck you because at least they wouldn't be trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

And besides, those games aren't exactly free anyway. You already paid the $80 price difference to get them.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Announcing this 2 weeks in advance is sort of stupid. You are basically giving people 2 weeks to buy the dag thing AND get the games. The people who are being rewarded are not early adopters but those who have bought the game with 30-45 days of Aug 12th.[/QUOTE]

Ehhhh, it gives people who haven't connected their 3DS to the Internet a chance to do it. Why would it be "stupid"?

I just realized, the DSi XL is also $169. A lot of people who bought one of those recently are going to be pretty pissed too I'd imagine.

I've had two systems since day one, one for me and and one for the mrs. The lack of games has been frustrating, but at least Nintendo is giving something back to the people that bought it for $250.

This is always the risk you take being an early adopter. Moral of the story, good things come to those who wait.

Dam what a price drop. Glad to see us early suckers er adopters are being thrown a bone. Could be worse.

Reminds me of the Iphone price drop.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The amount of excuses and justifications in this thread by Nintendoids are hilarious.[/QUOTE]

So leave the thread. I'm not happy about it either, and I think it says something about Nintendo's poor planning, but don't thread crap.

[quote name='Jurassic425']Nice assumption. Actually I'm not a child, and so no, $80 is not a lot of money to me. Your logic doesn't even make sense because kids who's parents buy them everything could care less about the price drop, those types had a 3DS at launch. You can look at percentages all you want, but my point was that if you wait a few months and pay $80 more you can get a superior gaming handheld. Who knows I may pick up a 3DS, but if a company is going to make a drop like this and offer all kinds of free games to lure people in, that says something about their product.

If Nintendo truly had a ton of killer games lined up they would be confident that they hardware would sell regardless of what Sony is doing. This price drop implies that they haven't planned for the future.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to revoke your CAG status...I don't care who a person is $80 for any CAG IS a lot of money. I could turn $80 into at least 8-10 PS3 or 360 games. And your whole "i am not child" bit just makes you look like a douche. Normally I do not name call or take things personally but $80 can be a lot for us "adults" also.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The amount of excuses and justifications in this thread by Nintendoids are hilarious.[/QUOTE]
I'm going to have to sit down and read the whole thread; you just can't buy this kind of drama!

[quote name='Jodou']Finally Nintendo admits defeat on their gimmicky hardware. Epic LOL at people who paid $250 for the hype and it should be a wake up call to not buy a Wii U at launch. Nintendo has lost their way and hopefully this will spur some action to stop fucking off with mediocre game systems and franchise rehashes. That or Sega needs to enter the game again and put them down.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was really taking you seriously until I got to the part about Sega taking Nintendo down. :lol:

And no I don't have a 3DS and yes I too feel that is far overpriced.

[quote name='mogamer']Damn, I was really taking you seriously until I got to the part about Sega taking Nintendo down. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Sega does what Nintendon't!

[quote name='cancerman1120']Announcing this 2 weeks in advance is sort of stupid. You are basically giving people 2 weeks to buy the dag thing AND get the games. The people who are being rewarded are not early adopters but those who have bought the game with 30-45 days of Aug 12th.[/QUOTE]

It's not really, only people like us on CAG will know to buy now and price adjust, it's not going to be common practice.

I'm tempted at $170 I must say, but the stupid things like it being region locked and the fact the games cost so much just put me off.

[quote name='Achilles00']So leave the thread. I'm not happy about it either, and I think it says something about Nintendo's poor planning, but don't thread crap.[/QUOTE]

One could say that the amount of circlejerking that goes on in CAG over Nintendo products no matter what is making the site read like a PR message from a half-literate marketing team. Instead of being concerned about thread-crapping, perhaps you should be more concerned about site-crapping.

^^^^^^ Prime example above. "Whaaa they're ruining CAG....whaaaa"

[quote name='Jodou']I'm going to have to sit down and read the whole thread; you just can't buy this kind of drama![/QUOTE]

the haters are actually more dramatic than anyone "OMG, all you Nintendo lurvers who actual bought a system at launch!!! ha. 'cuse me, I have to go get in the PS vita line now"

Technically, the 20 "free" games aren't really free. Anyone who paid $250 for their 3DS has already paid the $80 to get these "free" games. The only difference is that the people who now buy a 3DS for $170 have a choice on which games they want and which games they don't want and they'll end up saving money by not buying the games they don't want.

Fortunately for Nintendo, there are people who don't have enough common sense to realize this.

[quote name='KingBroly']By Nintendo values, early adopters are getting like...$130-$150 back, depending on how they price GBA games in the future.[/QUOTE]

Yeah um whatever you say, but those 20 OLD games sure as hell aren't worth $130-$150

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Ehhhh, it gives people who haven't connected their 3DS to the Internet a chance to do it. Why would it be "stupid"?[/QUOTE]

For the exact reason people are complaining about the price drop. There are people that are going to be able to take advantage of both.

bread's done
Back