3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']Sega does what Nintendon't![/QUOTE]

And what would that be? Oh I know, sell out before going bankrupt!

[quote name='cancerman1120']Someone needs to revoke your CAG status...I don't care who a person is $80 for any CAG IS a lot of money. I could turn $80 into at least 8-10 PS3 or 360 games. And your whole "i am not child" bit just makes you look like a douche. Normally I do not name call or take things personally but $80 can be a lot for us "adults" also.[/QUOTE]

I could care less if you chose to take a post personally that wasn't even directed at you. Boo hoo :roll:. Once again, my point is that paying $80 more for a vita will provide you with better features and presumably better titles. Nintendo's whole point is that they want people to pick this over the vita due to the price, but the price drop is not large enough to sway people.

I said that I wasn't a child because he assumed that if $80 is not a lot to someone they must be a child :). Of course we all want deals, that's why we are here.

So where's the Wii apology program?

I like the conspiracy theories about Nintendo selling at $250 to fuck Sony by enticing them to drop the Vita to price match at a loss and then bump the 3DS price down immediately after Sony announce their msrp.. that would be brilliant if true.

Also.. I'm sick of people saying it only cost $100 to make as if ANYONE sells ANYTHING at cost. Stfu and take a business class at your community college next time you think of repeating that.

[quote name='mogamer']And what would that be? Oh I know, sell out before going bankrupt![/QUOTE]
Hey, at least they're still around. At this point, I have more respect for them than Nintendo.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah um whatever you say, but those 20 OLD games sure as hell aren't worth $130-$150[/QUOTE]

LOL. Alright, go ahead and try to find the price of the GBA games they are giving for free online.

Here, let's start with Mario Kart Super Circuit:

http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-Ci...MDZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311864693&sr=8-1

You'll likely get it for way less if you search around, but 10 free GBA games is a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Jodou']Hey, at least they're still around. At this point, I have more respect for them than Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

You sound like a total badass. Are you into Call of Duty?

[quote name='cancerman1120']Announcing this 2 weeks in advance is sort of stupid. You are basically giving people 2 weeks to buy the dag thing AND get the games. The people who are being rewarded are not early adopters but those who have bought the game with 30-45 days of Aug 12th.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like somebody is mad that they bought the system at launch :lol:. Either that or someone just wants things to complain about, which seems to be a trend in your posts.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']One could say that the amount of circlejerking that goes on in CAG over Nintendo products no matter what is making the site read like a PR message from a half-literate marketing team. Instead of being concerned about thread-crapping, perhaps you should be more concerned about site-crapping.[/QUOTE]

OK, but you're the one who chose to enter a thread about a Nintendo product and participate in the discussion. Is it a surprise that people who own Nintendo products and who are discussing Nintendo news aren't going to be talking favorably about Nintendo? What the hell did you expect?

[quote name='Nohbdy']To everyone who says the 3DS is bombing, you should realize Nintendo did the same thing when the PSP was around.[/QUOTE]

No they didn't. They dropped the price of the DS by $20 some 9 or so months after the system came out. It's stayed at that $129.99 price until this year

[quote name='QiG']So where's the Wii apology program?[/QUOTE]
They sent out the whaaaaambulance for that. It goes 'wiiu, wiiu, wiiu. . .'
[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']You sound like a total badass. Are you into Call of Duty?[/QUOTE]
Nope.

I was an early adopter...I have a soft spot for handhelds and the 3DS was no different. At first the 20 games sounded great but I can't help but have mixed feelings. Although they sound like great games they are great games I've already played and the older I get the less I feel the need to feed nostalgia. When I went on the 3DS eShop for the first time I thought it was kind of depressing seeing Super Mario Land for the GB along with a few other titles up for sale.

When I bought the 3DS I pre-ordered from Amazon so I ended up getting a bunch of offers and credits towards more stuff. So I've played a fair amount of Street Fighter IV, Ridge Racer, and played through Rayman on the system. I now have Zelda which I'm working on playing through as well. I sold Rayman once I finished it. All in all I probably made up at least $50 of the $80 price drop.

The thing for me is I just want to see new games. I feel as if the system has potential but were not really seeing what this thing is capable of. I know it always takes some time to get there but the 3rd party support that we saw at that e3 seems almost non-existent right now. Hopefully the drop will entice new buyers as well as developers.

I agree with the others though about the $40 games. It feels like too much in the age of ipod gaming (although personally I hate ipod gaming).

Overall I like the system but they absolutely stumbled out of the gate with this one.

[quote name='theking20']hmmmmm i wonder if the DSi XL will get price dropped as well.[/QUOTE]

They should have announced that now too. TBH I'm still more interested in the XL than I am the 3DS

[quote name='Jodou']They sent out the whaaaaambulance for that. It goes 'wiiu, wiiu, wiiu. . .'

Nope.[/QUOTE]
i actually found a nice macro image with that but did not save it when it was announced :)

[quote name='Jurassic425']Sounds like somebody is mad that they bought the system at launch :lol:. Either that or someone just wants things to complain about, which seems to be a trend in your posts.[/QUOTE]

Really? You read through all 700 of my posts and deduced I complain about things on a higher percentage than say asking questions or posting my haul or revealing a deal? You work fast my friend. I also don't/won't buy the 3DS and my comment was about the announcement which is indicative of Nintendo's current trend of botched PR.

I'm not burned by the price drop really.

I'm burned by the fact that I can' take advantage of the BOTH the price drop and the 20 free games with price protection from my local store.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

[quote name='KingBroly']They don't have to do anything.

And the XL is amazing.[/QUOTE]Of course they don't have to, but it looks really stupid of the XL and 3DS are the same price.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Technically, the 20 "free" games aren't really free. Anyone who paid $250 for their 3DS has already paid the $80 to get these "free" games. The only difference is that the people who now buy a 3DS for $170 have a choice on which games they want and which games they don't want and they'll end up saving money by not buying the games they don't want.

Fortunately for Nintendo, there are people who don't have enough common sense to realize this.[/QUOTE]

As if anyone that paid $250 for a 3ds months ago can do anything about the amount they paid.

These 20 games are free.

btw, from what I read 10 of them are exclusives that won't be sold to the public.

People are idiots. I still to this day, dont regret getting my 3ds. I love it so much, the DS was a huge success and this just has a rough start. Nintendo is making my heart happy with this program. Cant wait for holiday 2011

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just to compare:
PS3 drops $100 8 months after release (speedy1961 rules!)
3DS drops $80 4.5 months after release

Wow.

If the 3DS is $170 MSRP after Aug., then what will the MSRP be for the DSi and DSi XL?[/QUOTE]

Not a good comparison as the PS3 was $600/$500 at the time, so it was only a 17%-20% drop depending on your model and was 8 months later.

This is a 32% price drop on the 3DS only 4.5 months after release.

Only device that tops it is the iphone which dropped from $600 - $400 33% only 2 months after release.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Technically, the 20 "free" games aren't really free. Anyone who paid $250 for their 3DS has already paid the $80 to get these "free" games. The only difference is that the people who now buy a 3DS for $170 have a choice on which games they want and which games they don't want and they'll end up saving money by not buying the games they don't want.

Fortunately for Nintendo, there are people who don't have enough common sense to realize this.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. You paid $250 for the system at the time. No one bought one with the expectation of 20 free games down the line. (I think they offered Excitebike 3D as free) The $80 extra was simply the early adopter fee.

Now I'm conflicted about my recent DS Lite purchase. I may return the Lite and get a DSi with the inevitable price drops. In your opinions, what advantages do the DSi models have over the Lite?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']This is a surprise. I'm still happy I bought the 3DS, despite the dearth of games for it at the moment.[/QUOTE]
Yeah same here, I'm enjoying Zelda and Ghost recon a lot. Plus the 20 free games will be nice. *high five*

[quote name='emeraldgsl']LOL at myself for purchasing this for $250...at least I got a $25 card from Amazon for it. But still, LOL at myself. sigh[/QUOTE]

Nice to see an honest post from an early adopter, everyone else is trying to justify why their purchases of the 3DS at launch were a good idea. :roll:

[quote name='Barkwhip']Now I'm conflicted about my recent DS Lite purchase. I may return the Lite and get a DSi with the inevitable price drops. What advantages do the DSi models have over the Lite?[/QUOTE]

Not much, Among other minor things, it has built-in cameras, access to DSiWare, and a built-in web browser. This is at the cost of less battery life and the removal of the GBA slot

[quote name='stoned99']So let me get this right, I buy On August 8th, Price match on August 11th and get 20 free games ?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'd buy one right now from BB though

So this is probably why Amazon isn't selling the 3DS anymore 'till August 12. Wonder if other retailers will follow...

If I knew what those other 5 GBA games were I'd buy one right now.

Also, I hope this means a price drop for the DSi XL.

[quote name='Barkwhip']I was looking more for personal opinion from other gamers, but I suppose I didn't convey that very well. The link does help and I do appreciate it, thank you.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend it unless you have an attachment to GBA games. Battery life disappointed me but I would still recommend it.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']So this is probably why Amazon isn't selling the 3DS anymore 'till August 12. Wonder if other retailers will follow...

If I knew what those other 5 GBA games were I'd buy one right now.

Also, I hope this means a price drop for the DSi XL.[/QUOTE]

Smart on their behalf. Though if they're going to set it up as a pre-order, why not just show the discounted price? People are still going to order it now at the $250 price so they better adjust the price when it comes out

Amazon had stopped selling the 3DS days ago due to them saying there were potential manufacturing problems. Some people are complaining that the rubber stoppers on the inside of the 3DS are too short and that the screen is getting scratched.

Made the mistake of being an early adopter and sold it back to GS for $170. Sort of glad of my decision now. I have to stop buying things on impulse >__>

Wow, that is a huge price drop. I won my 3DS so I didn't have to pay anything for it, so these 20 free games are great.

My thoughts: I really like the 3DS, it is a fun system. However I didn't think it was worth $250. At $169 I think it is a good deal.

If you've been thinking about buying one, I'd say to do the buy in the next week or so then PM on the 11th (check PM policy first) for your best deal

[quote name='trip1eX']btw, from what I read 10 of them are exclusives that won't be sold to the public.[/QUOTE]

I'd bet a million dollars that they will be available at some point. It makes no sense for them not to release them.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Amazon had stopped selling the 3DS days ago due to them saying there were potential manufacturing problems. Some people are complaining that the rubber stoppers on the inside of the 3DS are too short and that the screen is getting scratched.[/QUOTE]
Heard about that. Haven't had an issue with my 3DS. Also heard Nintendo was fixing this for free or something along those lines. Seems to be affecting the launch systems mostly.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Heard about that. Haven't had an issue with my 3DS. Also heard Nintendo was fixing this for free or something along those lines. Seems to be affecting the launch systems mostly.[/QUOTE]

I have a launch system and have no issues.

You know what the funniest thing about this is? Does Nintendo really think that anyone will buy the Wii U at launch after this 3DS nonsense? I realize that Nintendo does not typically have price drops this quickly, but they aren't exactly inspiring consumers' confidence with their gimmicks. It seems like lately they are trying to be first out the gate with their products, but they can't back it up with software. I definitely won't buy a Wii U at launch at the risk of it dropping in price BEFORE there are even any good games out for it, LOL.

[quote name='haywire69']What's everyone guesstimet on the XL's price drop?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it will drop, but if it did, I'd say $129.99

[quote name='chickenbutt']Unrelated but I have a feeling Megaman Legends 3 is going to come back after this. I just got the feeling that it got canceled because they didn't think they'd make much.[/QUOTE]

Keep holdin' that breath.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Someone needs to revoke your CAG status...I don't care who a person is $80 for any CAG IS a lot of money. I could turn $80 into at least 8-10 PS3 or 360 games. And your whole "i am not child" bit just makes you look like a douche. Normally I do not name call or take things personally but $80 can be a lot for us "adults" also.[/QUOTE]

I normally don't take sides, but your comment is very well expressed. $80 on CAG can be translated into many enjoyable games.

[quote name='Jurassic425']Nice to see an honest post from an early adopter, everyone else is trying to justify why their purchases of the 3DS at launch were a good idea. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what you mean here, while I didn't buy mine at launch, I've enjoyed my 3ds to the point that it was worth it at the 250 price tag. I've gotten more value out of this system then I have out of any portable system in a long time, and I generally hate Nintendo products.

bread's done
Back