3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact is, this guy has already confirmed with his Costco that they'll adjust the price after the 12th. Most people would be quite happy with that arrangement, even he seemed to be at the time. Yet, why doesn't he take advantage of that now?

I don't really give a shit what he does, but I really don't think Costco would be okay with that either. If he was so confident in it not being wrong (morally or otherwise) he would have no problem telling them these are units from Amazon.

That's the last I'll comment on this useless garbage.

[quote name='lordopus99']I always though consoles are linked by their serial number on a receipt/for returns...[/QUOTE]

yes all consoles, handheld systems, laptops, computers, and ipods all have their own unique serial number and they are printed on the receipt.

[quote name='trunks982']yes all consoles, handheld systems, laptops, computers, and ipods all have their own unique serial number and they are printed on the receipt.[/QUOTE]
This does not happen at all stores. Your major electronic stores, yes. Department/wholesale stores? Depends on how the order checkout system is programmed. Also if the unit is in a bundle, then it does not get scanned.

[quote name='lordopus99']I always though consoles are linked by their serial number on a receipt/for returns...[/QUOTE]
Not at Costco. Their return policy is so relaxed that you could take a console back to them a year later, but of course it would tend to raise some eyebrows. So no point for them to register the S/N with a sale.

If you have an item to exchange or price adjust, they would return it for a full refund and tell you to go in and buy another one (at least in my local store).

If I were to take advantage of this deal, I would just buy one now and price adjust it later (grab another one and return it with old receipt). Nothing beats Costco return policy.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']Troll. The funny thing if your picture kind of looks like a troll.[/QUOTE]Jim Henson is rolling in his grave. Also, your typo makes me want to kill a kitten. Learn to proofread.

[quote name='RagManX']Glad you admitted that you are.[/QUOTE]Big fan of Pee-wee's Playhouse?

Looks like GS is a dead end (when is that ever not the case, though)? Talked to one of the higher-ups. Long story short...hits $170 on the 12th, not a minute before, can't make special arrangements (no bribery, i.e. PowerUp Rewards subscription, pre-orders, etc.). They don't care what Walmart is doing, they don't want to lose their jobs (which is totally understandable).

Really, it turned out exactly like I thought it would. But I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

So I'll just have to wait until the 12th and forgo the 20 free games and ambassadorship. Which means likely waiting for BF, Xmas, or a bundle.

Unless someone wants to pay cash for all my GS credit.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']Troll. The funny thing if your picture kind of looks like a troll.[/QUOTE]

The Great Gonzo does not look like a troll. GTFO.

[quote name='eugaet']Looks like GS is a dead end (when is that ever not the case, though)? Talked to one of the higher-ups. Long story short...hits $170 on the 12th, not a minute before, can't make special arrangements (no bribery, i.e. PowerUp Rewards subscription, pre-orders, etc.). They don't care what Walmart is doing, they don't want to lose their jobs (which is totally understandable).

Really, it turned out exactly like I thought it would. But I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

So I'll just have to wait until the 12th and forgo the 20 free games and ambassadorship. Which means likely waiting for BF, Xmas, or a bundle.

Unless someone wants to pay cash for all my GS credit.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop almost never price matches. I use to try years ago, but gave up. Since they're pure gaming they don't have the flexibility that other retailers have.

You can take out all the money you have from GS credit and make it into cash. I might do that to pay off for my 3DS/DX11headset at Best Buy. The people that work at Gamestop are really cool so I know they won't mind.

After reading page after page of posts about buying/returning 3DS systems, I'm wondering if there are going to be a ton of opened/used 3DS systems that are either:

1) Returned to manufacturer (Nintendo), or
2) Hitting the used console market

People are so desperate to get 20 cheapo little games that they seem to be falling all over themselves to make it happen. Really kind of funny, if you think about how silly it is to jump through all these hoops, just for a handful of cheap downloaded games. :lol:

[quote name='chimpmeister']

People are so desperate to get 20 cheapo little games that they seem to be falling all over themselves to make it happen. Really kind of funny, if you think about how silly it is to jump through all these hoops, just for a handful of cheap downloaded games. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The price drop + the 20 free games was enough for me to make the purchase. My son was going to get one anyway for his birthday in October -- I'd rather get it now with the 20 free games, than without.

As for all of the :whee: ... I expect no issues. I'll walk into BestBuy, have then price adjust, and walk out. It costs them NOTHING, since they are getting credit for all of the stock that they are carrying.

[quote name='chimpmeister']After reading page after page of posts about buying/returning 3DS systems, I'm wondering if there are going to be a ton of opened/used 3DS systems that are either:

1) Returned to manufacturer (Nintendo), or
2) Hitting the used console market

People are so desperate to get 20 cheapo little games that they seem to be falling all over themselves to make it happen. Really kind of funny, if you think about how silly it is to jump through all these hoops, just for a handful of cheap downloaded games. :lol:[/QUOTE]

30 minutes(more if your BB is slow in the CS department), buying/returning, for 20 free games sounds good to me.

Yeah. There is a reason why this site is named cheap ass. It's all about getting your gaming stuff on the cheap legitimately.

[quote name='omyard']Gamestop almost never price matches. I use to try years ago, but gave up. Since they're pure gaming they don't have the flexibility that other retailers have.[/QUOTE]Oh, I know they don't pricematch. I was just mentioning to them what Walmart was doing as a side note. My only real ploy there was to see if I could sweet talk 'em with a PowerUp Rewards subscription and a couple pre-orders (for games I actually do want at release, not something I'd cancel later).

[quote name='karyadi']You can take out all the money you have from GS credit and make it into cash. I might do that to pay off for my 3DS/DX11headset at Best Buy. The people that work at Gamestop are really cool so I know they won't mind.[/QUOTE]It's not credit in their system, it's all on cards. Is that possible with cards? That'd be nice to get the money out and do whatever I wish with it wherever I want. I don't think that'd work, though.

Gah, I thought I had convinced myself not to get a 3ds and to wait for the next hardware revision. Now the Wal-mart early price drop is again forcing me to reconsider.

It doesn't help that there are some games already on the 3ds virtual console that I'd really like to play again.

Has there been any word on if these games will be in 3D? I was under the impression that all the NES ports would have 3D while the GBA/GB ports would not.

As I posted in the newer Wal Mart 3DS thread:

I wouldn't worry about the hinge too much. The left one is definitely weaker and different from the right hinge. But, even with my less-than-one-week old model, it seems like the hinge has gotten better with more use. It's less squeaky and more solid. If you have a problem of getting the 3DS top screen to lock into place once you're at 170° (or whatever angle it is), then I'd worry.

If you can get a screen protector or rubber feet (like this: http://kotaku.com/5827483/the-xbox-360-has-a-hidden-solution-to-your-nintendo-3ds-screen-woes), I might suggest that to prevent any possible marking/scratching to the top display. The top screen is definitely shallow and the wider top screen doesn't match with the bottom screen's bezel, so I can see the scratching/marking issue if you have a bad hinge or move your 3DS around everywhere while its closed. Also doesn't help is you slam shut your 3DS.

Otherwise, I think people are making the big quality issues a bigger deal than they really are. Also, you still have 30 days for returns/replacements plus the 90 day warranty through Nintendo after you register your 3DS, so really you should know where you are with the problems in that time frame.

[quote name='eugaet']It's not credit in their system, it's all on cards. Is that possible with cards? That'd be nice to get the money out and do whatever I wish with it wherever I want. I don't think that'd work, though.[/QUOTE]

I've done it before, just butter up the employees really sweet. Talk about video games and such or whatever. I'm not sure if it'll work 100%. I just know the credit can always be exchange into real cash, the trick is finding a gamestop looking to let you walk out with more than $100. After all, it's YOUR money.

Just a reminder to people that CAG does have the very useful Ignore feature. It is much more satisfying ignoring someone than trying to reason with them. Try it, click on their name and Ignore the ignorant!!!!

[quote name='Nintendonly']What you guys don't realize is that the user at that other message board saying the DPCI number changed is full of shit. If it is tied to the UPC number, and the UPC number hasn't changed for either the units sitting on the shelves or the units that will be coming in on the trucks. And believe me, companies want to minimize the number of UPC number changes due to the fees they have to pay to for those numbers.[/QUOTE]

Have you worked at Target and do you know how their pricing and inventory system work? Yeah, didn't think so.

As I said before, the UPC doesn't need to change for them to tie that same UPC to a new DPCI.

[quote name='hufferstl']Just a reminder to people that CAG does have the very useful Ignore feature. It is much more satisfying ignoring someone than trying to reason with them. Try it, click on their name and Ignore the ignorant!!!![/QUOTE]
If you 'ignore' someone, does it mean his posts won't show up anymore or something in your browser?

So, I went to Best Buy, and I was told that I wouldn't be able to pricematch because of the 20 free games. He said it was either $250 now with the 20 free games or the cheaper price next week (though he was pushing the 20 games aspect stating that the price drop was only $40 off, which is wrong).

I left. Trying another one tomorrow.

[quote name='SSJMies']So, I went to Best Buy, and I was told that I wouldn't be able to pricematch because of the 20 free games. He said it was either $250 now with the 20 free games or the cheaper price next week (though he was pushing the 20 games aspect stating that the price drop was only $40 off, which is wrong).

I left. Trying another one tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

dumb_happens.jpg

[quote name='SSJMies']So, I went to Best Buy, and I was told that I wouldn't be able to pricematch because of the 20 free games. He said it was either $250 now with the 20 free games or the cheaper price next week (though he was pushing the 20 games aspect stating that the price drop was only $40 off, which is wrong).

I left. Trying another one tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

How did you word it? You should of said, will I be able to price match even though the box is open? Because THAT'S the situation. He must of assumed you got it from the package. Don't mention the free games since it's not actually in the 3DS already.

Again, I would wait till the 9th to see Walmart drop it so you can price match there, at Best Buy.

[quote name='karyadi']How did you word it? You should of said, will I be able to price match even though the box is open? Because THAT'S the situation. He must of assumed you got it from the package. Don't mention the free games since it's not actually in the 3DS already.

Again, I would wait till the 9th to see Walmart drop it so you can price match there, at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

When I went to best buy on august 1st to buy my 3DS I didn't mention the games and the employee said I could come back for the price protection on the 12th as long as I had my receipt and the purchase was within 30 days. but since I heard wal-mart is dropping on the 9th now I might just go and get my price adjustment on the 9th and with the refund money pick up OoT 3DS

[quote name='karyadi']How did you word it? You should of said, will I be able to price match even though the box is open? Because THAT'S the situation. He must of assumed you got it from the package. Don't mention the free games since it's not actually in the 3DS already.

Again, I would wait till the 9th to see Walmart drop it so you can price match there, at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

I asked if they had any 3DSs (none were on display). He said yes, they're up front, but they're $250. He said there was a price drop next week, but if I bought it now, I would get 20 free games. So I asked whether or I could price match it next week if I went ahead and bought it this week. That's when he gave me the spiel about $250 and 20 free games versus the "$40 price drop" next week (told him it was more than that and he just went 'Oh').

[quote name='SSJMies']I asked if they had any 3DSs (none were on display). He said yes, they're up front, but they're $250. He said there was a price drop next week, but if I bought it now, I would get 20 free games. So I asked whether or I could price match it next week if I went ahead and bought it this week. That's when he gave me the spiel about $250 and 20 free games versus the "$40 price drop" next week (told him it was more than that and he just went 'Oh').[/QUOTE]

Well, if there's a ignorant employee then, sorry for your case. I hope you live near a Walmart so you can price match it at that same Best Buy. He may of been a little too full of himself. I think the Managers are pushing for more sales on the employees and obviously they're being just fail. Try to hold out on buying it till the 9th.

People are crapping their pants with the "20 free games". These are probably the same buyers that wet their pants when the Wii fit was in stock at amazon and had to create 20 weekly posts to let CAG know about it.

To corroborate what some folks are reporting:

I just got home from my friendly local Best Buy. I spoke with a floor salesdroid who seemed pretty dialed-in to gaming.

He advised me than price protection will NOT be honored on the 3DS. He claimed an official memo was distributed to his store stating as such. Not sure if it's a regional or national thing.

They're apparently working the "bundle" angle. In Best Buy's view, anyone who buys now is getting something different than people get on August 12. As a result, no price adjustments.

A word to the wise! Be careful out there, folks.

[quote name='PaleGreen']To corroborate what some folks are reporting:

I just got home from my friendly local Best Buy. I spoke with a floor salesdroid who seemed pretty dialed-in to gaming.

He advised me than price protection will NOT be honored on the 3DS. He claimed an official memo was distributed to his store stating as such. Not sure if it's a regional or national thing.

They're apparently working the "bundle" angle. In Best Buy's view, anyone who buys now is getting something different than people get on August 12. As a result, no price adjustments.

A word to the wise! Be careful out there, folks.[/QUOTE]

Be careful? Of what?

.[/QUOTE]

What Bundle exactly? best buy is NOT giving you the free games. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and see what they tell me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Be careful? Of what?[/QUOTE]

If what the guy told me is true, a lot of people will be sorely disappointed on Aug. 12. So be careful with Best Buy.

We need some Enuf up in here. We have 4 days to confirm, either way I'm going to price match Walmart but still for those who can't.

[quote name='kevgret']What Bundle exactly? best buy is NOT giving you the free games. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and see what they tell me.[/QUOTE]

They're viewing the 20 free games from the Ambassador program as a bundle. Buy now, and you get them. Buy after Aug 12, and you don't.

It's devious, and slightly brilliant! There will be some angry mofos when they're sent packing without a price adjustment.

[quote name='PaleGreen']If what the guy told me is true, a lot of people will be sorely disappointed on Aug. 12. So be careful with Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

You can't have a price match policy one day and then circulate a memo changing the rules.

How are they going to communicate this to the customer?

August 12th will be an interesting day at best buy if they enforce the selective no price match.

[quote name='PaleGreen']They're viewing the 20 free games from the Ambassador program as a bundle. Buy now, and you get them. Buy after Aug 12, and you don't.

It's devious, and slightly brilliant! There will be some angry mofos when they're sent packing without a price adjustment.[/QUOTE]

"They" are nintendo.. NOT best buy. So best buy can't claim bundle..

If they don't price match they will be getting alot of returns that day.

[quote name='PaleGreen']If what the guy told me is true, a lot of people will be sorely disappointed on Aug. 12. So be careful with Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't know what he's talking about, everyone will be fine and if not they return it

[quote name='kevgret']"They" are nintendo.. NOT best buy. So best buy can't claim bundle..

If they don't price match they will be getting alot of returns that day.[/QUOTE]

I hear you, bro. Just wanted to share my info with the CAG community.

I find it hard to believe they'd go through the trouble to screw a tiny group of double-dippers.

[quote name='ssjmichael']He doesn't know what he's talking about, everyone will be fine and if not they return it[/QUOTE]

We'll know soon enough. Surely a few BB employees will check in.

In the meantime, I'm considering stores with more customer-focused policies.

Is there some way of confirming you're part of the Ambassador program? I connected to the store and also linked my account to Club Nintendo, but I didn't get any verification, I want to make sure I get this stuff

Best Buy employees have probably been told to claim the non-match in order to discourage this practice of buying high & PM.

There is no way they deny the price match when it comes to the day. Period.

[quote name='oasisboy']People are crapping their pants with the "20 free games". These are probably the same buyers that wet their pants when the Wii fit was in stock at amazon and had to create 20 weekly posts to let CAG know about it.[/QUOTE]

OUCH! But probably true . . . :applause:

Next Friday, I'll be walking out of Best Buy with an $80 adjustment or a $250 refund I'll use for a purchase on Amazon. With the effort Best Buy seems to be putting into reaching out to gamers, I seriously doubt they'll refuse to honor their policy, especially when employees across the nation have been telling customers they'll be honoring it in this specific instance. Guess we'll see in a week.

I'd say it's a smokescreen simply to discourage people from trying and therefore protecting their bottom line. Their price match policy doesn't say "3ds excluded" lol.

Funny cause I just got back from Best Buy and tlked to a guy who has worked at the store for about 5 years and he said he was telling everyone about the price drop and that Best Buy would honor it.

[quote name='maxfisher']Next Friday, I'll be walking out of Best Buy with an $80 adjustment or a $250 refund I'll use for a purchase on Amazon. With the effort Best Buy seems to be putting into reaching out to gamers, I seriously doubt they'll refuse to honor their policy, especially when employees across the nation have been telling customers they'll be honoring it in this specific instance. Guess we'll see in a week.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_lpaoihCONN1r0zbf9o1_250.jpg

So I just came back from Best Buy, if you couldn't tell from my title, and I walked away with a new 3DS, again if you couldn't tell from the title. So this is what happened:

I got there and immediately a guy from Best Buy asked if he could be of help. I indicated to the 3DSes that I could already see and he told me all about them. He seemed to be very well versed. I picked up a Cosmo Black 3DS and we had the following exchange.

Me: "I've just got one more question."

Guy: "Okay."

Me: "Nintendo has announced that this will be dropping it's price next week."

Guy: "That's correct."

Me: "I won't have any problems price matching it then, will I?"

Guy: "No. Just bring back in the receipt anytime within 30 days of purchase and you can get a price match for the new price."

Now I'd like to bring your attention to one line, in case you missed it. When I stated that Nintendo had already announced the price drop, he didn't say "Okay", he said "That's correct." He was already fully aware of the coming price drop. It is clearly reasonable to assume that if there was going to be a problem securing a price adjustment (I'll admit I said "match" when I spoke to him and I meant to say "adjustment") because of the circumstances this guy would know.

I'm confident that I will be able to go and get a price adjustment to the new $169.99 price point by September 4th, and so would anyone else who buys a 3DS at Best Buy today.

I have a hard time believing Best Buy (or any brick-and-mortar that offers a price guarantee policy) wouldn't honor it.

If some soccer mom goes plans on getting her kid a 3DS this weekend oblivious to the fact a price drop is coming, only to have her come in a week later with a flyer advertising the new price drop asking to refund the difference, I'd love to be present when they try to explain why they can't honor that policy.

bread's done
Back